main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends Solo Moments - complete 24. December - prologue, thanks, and more!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Iverna, Mar 9, 2008.

1. Brown-Eyed_Girl

Brown-Eyed_Girl Jedi Youngling

May 18, 2009
    Yay more Solo moments. Excellent as usual.

2. tahiriveilax

tahiriveilax Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 31, 2008
    Very adorable :) Your 'Solo Moments' are awesome!

3. Iverna

Iverna Jedi Master star 4

Feb 20, 2008
    Wow, you guys were fast!

FelsGoddess - glad you liked! Poor Lando, huh? I don't think Han is EVER letting it go. *lol*

The-Solo-Smirk - hah, so did I for a while. [face_blush] But I have one or two more ideas for these, so it'll be ongoing for a bit longer. [:D] Little!Jacen was adorable - at least I always thought so. I'm happy if I got that across, thank you!

Striker - yeah, stupid canon... I love the twins and their bond, it's so awesome. Permission to squee absolutely granted! I adore Han with the kids and there isn't nearly enough of it in canon.

dm1 - yeah, baking is a lot of fun! Han always seem to get right into the thick of things, doesn't he? *lol* I suppose it's a Solo thing - it shouldn't work, and yet somehow, it does. A lot of fun to write! I've got a couple of ideas for more, so it'll keep going for a bit longer at least. If you have any requests or ideas yourself, by the way, let me know!

LT - glad you enjoyed it! Anakin is the odd one out, all right... he's a challenge to write, always. I always have to try and find a different slant on things. I guess it's good for opening my mind. *lol* Janson is always a riot, I love it when he pops up in a story. And thank you - I completely agree, Winter needs to be in more stories. Canon, too. She was such a cool character back in the day!

Sticks - thank you, and welcome aboard!

EmpressJainaSoloFel - ooh, I'm delighted to hear that! Making people smile is good. I'm really happy you enjoyed it!

Brown-Eyed Girl - thank you!

tahiriveilax - yay, I'm happy to hear that, thank you!

As always, thanks for reading, guys. I'm a bit behind on everything right now, but I am still continuing this series. I'll start on another installment soon - someone asked for more Luke, and I do try to oblige! [:D]

4. darkladypurplepencil

darkladypurplepencil Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 16, 2006
    I love it all!!

Cookies and Chaos, however, has got to be the best!

If you're keeping a PM list, please add me!

Cheers,
    DLPP

5. Iverna

Feb 20, 2008
    Thank you! So glad you're enjoying them. I've added you to the PM list! [:D]

6. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    An excellent peek into the lives of the Solos! =D=

7. Iverna

Feb 20, 2008
    Thank you, VaderLVR64, I'm glad you enjoyed it!

So I discovered today that this series actually won Best Series this year - I'm floored. Thank you so much to everyone who nominated and voted for it, I'm really thrilled - and grateful to you all. And of course, thanks to everyone who's been following this.

The next installment is written, I just need to edit it and polish it up, so it should be posted within the next couple of days! [face_peace]

8. Iverna

Feb 20, 2008
    Hmm, well, this took longer than intended. Again. But here's a new installment! This one comes in two parts, but the next part is written so I will be posting it very very soon. A few people have asked for more Luke, so this one is pretty much all just Luke and the kids.

PM list:

VaderLVR64
    mara_jade_rox
    Fel_Freak228
    dm1
    RK_Striker_JK_5
    THE_PIED_PIPER
    Golden_Jedi
    Idrelle_Miocovani
    alderaanprincess
    EmpressJainaSoloFel
    Weasleby
    The-Solo-Smirk
    PrincessBrookSolo
    jedikatie26
    tahiriveilax
    FelsGoddess
    Sticks
    darkladypurplepencil

Broken And Mended

(Set in 19 ABY.)

The planet was called Krrprithkurya and no one except for See-Threepio had managed to pronounce it properly. Leia had tried; Han and the kids, in true Solo fashion, simply called it "the holiday planet". Lying on his back on the secluded veranda, looking up into the bright blue sky, Luke Skywalker found that he didn't much care what the place was called.

Han had booked this holiday as he booked most of them, looking for places that were pretty, peaceful, and far away from Coruscant. Leia wanted the first two; Han paid attention to the third. Luke had to admit that the arrangement definitely seemed to work. The villa that the Solos had lived in for the past two weeks was bright and airy, with a big garden and easy access to most of the things that a holiday needed. They'd gone hiking in the forest, swimming and boating on the wide river nearby, and gone on a tour of some old buildings that had fascinated the kids.

"Uncle Luke!"

Luke lifted a hand to shade his eyes and sat up. Jacen was trudging up the stairs with that shuffling gait that said that he was trying to hurry while being gentle. Luke focussed on his nephew's cupped hands. Another animal.

"What is it?" he asked.

"Look what I found!" Jacen's grin was a child version of Han's, eliciting a smile from Luke almost automatically. It was hard not to smile at Jacen when he was enthusiastic about something. At almost ten years of age, he resembled Han more than Leia, but the open delight in his eyes and his easy way with people came straight from his mother.

Jacen knelt down in front of Luke, and Luke obediently looked at the animal sitting on the boy's palms. It was a rodent of some kind, glossy black eyes peering curiously at its surroundings, the bushy dark blue tail moving slowly from side to side.

"Wow," Luke said. "Where did you find him?"

"Her," Jacen corrected, although how he knew that was beyond Luke. "She was sitting under a bush. I think she was looking for food for her kids. I'll bring her back in a minute," he added with a glance at Luke, clearly anticipating the admonishment. "I just thought ? can I give her something from the kitchen?"

Luke suppressed a sigh. He was pretty sure that normal people were supposed to tell their kids not to go near wild creatures, even if it was just to avoid giving them a wrong scent or making them dependent on humans. So he tried. "You know animals have to find their own food, Jacen."

"Sure." Jacen was absently stroking the creature. It didn't seem to mind. As Luke watched, he could have sworn that it leaned into Jacen's palm, clearly at ease. "But she's already learned how to do that. Feeding her once won't make her forget. And I did kinda promise her food."

Well, that was that, Luke thought wryly. So much for acting like normal people. "Come on then. We'll find something. What is it, anyway?"

Jacen shrugged ? carefully, so as not to disturb the creature on his palm. "I dunno. I guess I should look it up. But she eats insects, mostly, and some kinds of berries, I think."

"Well, we can have a look," Luke said as he strode towards the house. "But I don't think we really serve bugs in this house, you know?"

Jacen laughed. "Imagine if we did. Dad would have a fit."

"They're not exactly my favourite food, either," Luke said.

The house was empty; since it was their last day, Luke had offered to watch the kids while Han and Leia got some time together. With Ch

9. FelsGoddess

FelsGoddess Jedi Master star 5

Sep 5, 2004
    Love reading about Jacen and animals.

Luke's reaction to fire [face_laugh]

But Mom...
    Ah, the ten-year-old whine. :p

brought back a flood of memories and he had to fight a momentary panic. It was okay. It was only her leg. This wasn't a war casualty, and no one was screaming.
    Those flashbacks must be awful.

so it didn't take two minutes before the boys were up and engaged in some kind of game which involved stepping on certain parts of the tiled floor
    The game common everywhere. :)

Looking forward to the next part.

10. Golden_Jedi

Golden_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 10, 2005
    Wonderful as always! I loved the way Luke tried to balance the kids being Jedi and "just kids" at the same time...

11. The-Solo-Smirk

The-Solo-Smirk Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 27, 2008
    Update! Great! :)

It's nice that Luke is part of the crowd this time!

Loved Uncle Luke playing babysitter - ha ha! Not a quiet minute with these three children, though!

12. Sticks

Sticks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 27, 2001
    Lovely as always! How you manage to get inside all these characters' heads so perfectly never ceases to amaze me. Luke's momentary panic was particularly poignant. Great job!

13. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    Glad Jaina's gonna be all right. Good thing ANakin and Jacen were there to help her out. Poor Luke, there. [face_worried][:D] Great and excellent insight into their minds, here. Great job!

14. Iverna

Feb 20, 2008
    Eeeep, sorry guys, I meant to update this way earlier but I got caught up with NaNo preparations, and then my family had emergencies and drama, so I had other things to think about. But I'm all caught up now, and everything's sorted out, so I'll have the second half of this up in a few!

FelsGoddess
    I love writing about Jacen and animals, so yay! Poor Luke got quite a shock there, I think... and a more serious one later. Poor guy.
    Thank you!

Golden_Jedi
    Yeah, I don't think it's exactly easy to rear Jedi kids. I like imagining all the different challenges and trials though. It's fun! And I'm glad you enjoyed this so far!

The-Solo-Smirk
    Yes, it was time for more Luke, I think! I'm glad that someone asked for it. I always forget how much I like writing Luke.

Not a chance that you'd get any peace and quiet with these guys around, nope! They're Solos and Jedi, after all!

Sticks
    Aww, thanks! That's a huge compliment, thank you so much! I had fun writing this one. It's cool when you get to balance humour and seriousness like this, and I'm glad that you enjoyed it so far!

RK_Striker
    Oh yeah, Jaina is fine, I don't think there's any need to worry! I love how the kids always have each other to help when things get serious. That's so cool to write. And yes, poor Luke does have a thing or two to carry around, I think! But he's strong enough for it too. And I'm happy that I managed to get into their minds well enough! Thanks!

New post will be up in just a sec!

15. Iverna

Feb 20, 2008
    Broken and Mended (part II)

(Set in 19 ABY.)

"I got a repulsorchair!" Jaina crowed as soon as she set eyes on her brothers. Luke strode into the small ward after the boys. Jaina's bed stood at the far end, one away from the tall windows and adjoining balcony. The little girl beside her was sitting up, watching wide-eyed as the two boys scampered over to their sister.

"Cool!" Jacen clambered onto the bed. "Did you get a cast?"

"Yep!" Jaina displayed it with no small amount of pride. It was thick and heavy, a big white lump which made the rest of her leg look impossibly skinny.

"How're you feeling?" Luke asked as he joined the others by the bed.

"Fine. They gave me stuff for the pain." Her face twisted. "And they said I shouldn't be afraid of the needle, but I wasn't. And they gave me a kid plaster for it, too!"

She displayed it. The back of her hand featured an antiseptic strip in the shape of a brightly-coloured bird. The look Jaina gave it spoke volumes; the assumption that she needed to be treated like a little girl was clearly the height of insult. Luke couldn't help but grin. It was good to see his niece feeling so much better.

He felt Leia's presence approaching then, and Anakin raced out of the ward and down the corridor. He reappeared moments later, hand in Leia's. Leia was smiling as she headed towards her daughter and sat down in the chair by the bed. "Hey! How're you feeling?"

"Gave us a bit of a fright there, kiddo." Han was right on the heels of his wife, and went straight to Jaina's other side. "Everything all right?"

"I'm fine." Jaina didn't seem too concerned with her actual injury anymore. "I got a repulsorchair, look! And a cast. The medic said we can draw on it."

"They want to keep her here for a night," Luke told his sister. "Just to make sure everything's okay."

"But we have to leave real early tomorrow!" Anakin chimed in, looking concerned.

"Don't worry," Leia said, pulling Anakin onto her lap. "We'll figure it out."

"Do I really have to stay here?" Jaina asked, her excitement fading visibly. "All night?"

"One of us will stay with you," Leia assured her. "We're not leaving you here alone, don't worry about that, okay?"

That seemed to alleviate most of Jaina's worry. "Okay."

The rest of the day passed in a rush of activity; Luke took the boys to get some food, Leia went to collect some clothes and other things for her and Jaina for the night, and Han did his best to entertain Jaina while she waited for everyone else to come back. And then he called Coruscant to convince them that Leia would be a day late. Luke listened to him deliver that news, and hid a smile as he prepared to watch how this one played out.

"A whole day?" Leia gave Han an incredulous look. "Jaina's going to be out of here by tomorrow noon at the latest."

He shrugged, looking innocent. "Well, you know, the paperwork always takes longer than expected. They should know all about that, right? Then I figure we gotta pack, because today's been far too stressful to even think about it. And it's always more complicated when you're travelling with someone who's injured..."

Leia gave her husband a look. "Han."

His expression cracked into a grin. "Oh come on, Leia. They can wait until you get back until the next interstellar crisis. They always do. No worries."

"No worries." She sighed and shook her head. "I wish you'd have waited until I?"

"Oh, no." He shook his head. "You're far too busy worrying about Jaina. Injured little girls need their Mommy." He winked at Jaina, which seemed to work as an apology for his words even as he said them. "Besides, I'm better at arguing with them than you are."

Her eyebrows shot up. "Is that right?"

"Yep." He grinned again. "Your job's to reach compromises. Mine's to annoy them until they give me what I want."

Leia shook her head, but the admonishment had faded and she was smiling. "You're impossible."

"That's what they say, sweetheart."

She reached up to kiss him on the cheek. "Thank you."

16. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    It's a rather good thing that chair wasn't 'hot-rodded' by Han or Jaina. ;) Good to see Jaina all right, there. Loved Han and Leia against the medic. ;)

17. FelsGoddess

FelsGoddess Jedi Master star 5

Sep 5, 2004
    I love how you portray the Solo kids. :)

[face_laugh] Repulsorchair racing.

=D=

18. Sticks

Sticks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 27, 2001
    Oh, that was great. Especially the repulsorchair. :D

19. The-Solo-Smirk

The-Solo-Smirk Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 27, 2008
    More soon, please! Your stories are really cute! :) :) :)

20. EmpressJainaSoloFel

EmpressJainaSoloFel Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 3, 2009
    Sorry I've been MIA! You really have these characters nailed perfectly, especially Han.

21. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    The thing I love best about these moments is that these are real kids. They aren't little grown-ups. They think like kids, they talk like kids, they're just KIDS. And that is perfect! =D=

22. dm1

dm1 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 9, 2004
    That, and their parents are just PARENTS, experiencing life with their kids! Lovely, and definitely a story worth telling!

Looking forward to more!

23. pinkpearl89

pinkpearl89 Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 9, 2010
    Hello there!
    I wanted to let you know that I enjoyed these little snapshots so much that I've actually had it open in my browser for a couple days now, rereading my favorite parts. They're really amazingly sweet scenes, and incredibly realistic. I love that the Solos can be a normal family sometimes :)
    Thanks for writing these! They're really fun [face_love]

OH! And please add me to your PM list. Like, pretty please with whipped cream and cherries on top [face_praying]

24. shahid_chestro

shahid_chestro Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 28, 2005
    WOW.... just read this story over 2 days and i must say that it is very well written and very innocent, very Fun!

the intercation of the children, their parents and the extended family are spot on (just what they should be) and it is a very enjoyable read.

Cant wait for more.

Please add me to your PM list.

Happy Holidays
    SHAHID

25. Iverna

Feb 20, 2008
    RK_Striker - ohhh, I can't even imagine what might've happened if they let Jaina near it with her multitool... LOL! Han and Leia make a pretty good negotiation team, I think. *grins*

FelsGoddess - believe it or not, that part was inspired by my own experiences. My little brother was in a wheelchair once as a kid, and to pass time in the hospital we set up an obstacle course. It was a lot of fun!

Sticks - see, I could totally see the kids doing something like that. Especially Jaina, and especially with Han's influence. It was fun to write.

The-Solo-Smirk - there will be more! I'm not done with this one yet. Thanks!

EmpressJaina - no worries, I've been pretty absent myself... it's taken me forever to read and reply to everyone's comments! I am really glad that you approve of the characterisation!

VaderLVR - that's actually a really important point for me. There are few things that bug me more than when I read a book where kids act or think like miniature grown-ups. When I write these I try to think back what it was like for me at that age and I try to bring that across. I'm really happy that it seems to be working!

dm1 - I always think there's far too little of that in profic. I know, it's a sci-fi story and it's about action etc, but the Corellian trilogy managed a pretty good mix. Well I thought so anyway. I'd have liked to see more of that, myself...

pinkpearl - welcome aboard! I'm very happy that you've been enjoying these snippets, and thank you for letting me know! I really enjoy writing them and it's great when others enjoy reading them. Definitely adding you to the PM list, no problem at all!

shahid_chestro - I'm delighted to hear that, great! I'm adding you to the PM list as well. I hope you continue to enjoy the updates.

Thanks for reading, everyone! [:D] I know I have been very erratic in my online-ness, but I'm working on the next installment so there will definitely be more of these. And hopefully you will all continue to enjoy them. Your interest is what's keeping me interested, seriously - you really make me want to write and post more. So thank you, you all rock!