main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Solo SOLO Posters: Blasters or no Blasters

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by thejeditraitor, Mar 22, 2018.

?

How do you feel about the blasters being edited out?

1. I love it.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. I hate it.

14 vote(s)
    66.7%
  3. I don't care.

7 vote(s)
    33.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003

DISCLAIMER: This is a vid i made showing the edits.

The SOLO posters have had the blasters edited out in certain markets. I'm not really sure which markets they are or even if if it's all encompassing. How do we feel about this? Is this warranted? Will it make a difference? Without getting TOO political how do you feel about this change?

Personally i don't think censoring art, movies, music or video games is the answer.

MODS... if you you feel this is vid promotion or inappropriate please either... remove the vid, delete or merge as you see fit. I find it a very interesting topic to discuss. whatever you decide is fine.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2018
  2. LANDO_ROCKS

LANDO_ROCKS Force Ghost star 5

Nov 28, 2002
    Who cares really? I'm guessing it means that the marketing is nuanced enough to understand when they are marketing in kid-friendly places in certain markets not to show the weapons.

Good on them for having the brains.

Siphonophore and Corellian Blue like this.
  3. Giovs

Giovs Jedi Master star 3

Apr 29, 2013
    I know the topic said not to get too political, but were the blasters removed from posters outside of Brazil?
    I like them a lot more with the blasters, but we're going through some difficult times here in Brazil: The current "president" (if we can really call him that, since he made his way up using non legit methods) has the lowest approve rates in the history of the country, and recently the government chose the wrong way to deal with the violence in Rio de Janeiro, instead of trying to improve the quality of life of people living in the favelas, they decided to go the Palpatine way about it and use military intervention, so we have stuff like kids (only the poor ones, of course) being searched by men with guns, people being photographed before they are allowed to leave or enter the favelas, etc. There's already reports of the military abusing their power, you may have heard of Marielle Franco, a Councilwoman who reported these abuses and got executed by gun shots later.
    So, if these changes are only here in Brazil, I can kind of understand the reason, but if they're not... then I can't say :p

4. Corellian Blue

Corellian Blue Jedi Padawan star 1

Aug 21, 2017
    I've also read something that suggested these posters were specifically developed for the Brazillian market. Unfortunately, people who aren't aware of this are overreacting and jumping on the "let's hate on LFL" bandwagon.

Giovs likes this.
  5. ChrisLyne

ChrisLyne Force Ghost star 4

Oct 29, 2002
    Being unaware of the specific circumstances/markets I would say I'm against the censoring of the posters. Especially as it potentially sets a precedent, what's next? Censoring the blasters in the film? That might seem laughable but remember they removed Michaelangelo's nunchuks in the original TMNT cartoon due to overseas markets (like here in the UK).

If it's a one off for a specific market due to a current event then that's more understandable but if it's a more generic/blanket change then I'm totally against it.

Ricardo Funes likes this.
  6. La Calavera

La Calavera Force Ghost star 4

Sep 2, 2015
    So... only the posters in Portuguese were edited? It seems to be a very market-specific case. It reminds me of the strange editing that was done for the Chinese TFA posters.

7. Dr_Cthulhu

Dr_Cthulhu Jedi Master star 2

Dec 29, 2015
    Why didn't they just commission new poster art?

8. La Calavera

La Calavera Force Ghost star 4

Sep 2, 2015
    ^ I suppose editing was cheaper than doing that.

9. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    Yeah, there is absolutely nothing behind it. Just following the rules and guidelines of specific markets, no big deal at all.

I don't see any particular reason to be against such a rule. If a country thinks that weapons shouldn't be shown on movie-posters, than there is nothing wrong with that. You can't just say that "they appear in the movie anyway", because that isn't the point. There are also rules in many places which limit how you can market cigarettes and other tobacco-products, without smoking itself being banned. It's about limiting the marketing effect of these things. Not to mention that movies come with age restrictions, while posters can be seen by anyone.

10. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    This is sad...

11. Corellian Blue

Corellian Blue Jedi Padawan star 1

Aug 21, 2017
    Please see my post on main Solo thread about these posters.

thejeditraitor likes this.
  12. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    As a brazilian citizen myself, this is the solution to all our 60000 murders per year.

After these new posters, plus a non-stop loudspeaker playing "Imagine" all day, all criminals presented their guns to the police.

This is as dumb as it seems. It solves nothing, it changes nothing, and is scary. Are they also going to remove violence, blasters and sabers from Star Wars?

13. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Yeah, this is a non-issue. If someone feels they must express an opinion on the matter just bring it up in the main Solo news thread. Locking.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.