main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Solo Solo Reactions Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by Pro Scoundrel , May 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    And of course since I've posted this... 6 of the past 12 reviews have been "rotten" (mostly 6s out of 10) and just like that it's back down to that 70% mark. Has anyone seen it drop below 70% yet since this all started?

2. hermiona52

hermiona52 Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 20, 2017
    I just saw the movie and it was really good. I kinda expected that it would be light, fun, fast-paced film with quite a bit of fanservice and it delivered. It did give a bit of depth to Han's character, so OT and ST will get even better when rewatching. I'll definitely see it at least once more while it's still on a big screen.

I'm glad I started to avoid Star Wars related social media before release when hate started to be just ridiculous. I had no expectations, went with open mind and enjoyed it thoroughly.

3. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    After watching the actual movie, I could not care less for what reviewers think about it.

I enjoyed and I am using this to see which reviewers I will keep trusting and which I will dump.

Number 1 on the dumping list are the OT purists. Several reviewers are stuck on 1977 Han Solo, and this bothers me to no end. Newsflash, this Han is not ANH Han.

Last edited: May 24, 2018
  4. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    I thought Alden was fantastic. He's not Ford. But he is Han.

5. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    I didn't like it very much. I was expecting something funnier and less predictable. I could tell what any character was going to do before they did it. Also, I don't like when things that can easily be understood without help are explicitly explained. And I don't like cheap fan service.
    However, I did enjoy the "atmosphere" of the movie (can't find a better word for it), the landscapes, the aliens etc.
    Anyway, I don't think I'll watch it a second time on the big screen.

6. ImpreciseStormtrooper

ImpreciseStormtrooper Jedi Master star 3

Jan 8, 2016
    Ok. Found my brand. Your review is just what I need. Cheers.

Like an idiot I'm spoiling this movie for myself by reading this thread. I probably won't get to see it this weekend as it's my wedding anniversary.

The "I will like/love it" vibe now set to simmer. Might leave that on the stove for the weekend, and hopefully the house won't burn down. :p

7. TheCloneWarsForever

TheCloneWarsForever Force Ghost star 7

Apr 24, 2018
    It's at 69% now (Fresh: 150, Rotten: 66)

EDIT: Now showing 70% again, though I don't see how. +1 fresh, +1 rotten => Fresh: 151/Rotten 67 = 69.266%. [face_dunno]

8. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
  9. Storm_Cloud

Storm_Cloud Jedi Master star 3

Jan 13, 2016
    Quoting this to save me typing pretty much the same thing

Satipo, hermiona52 and Ricardo Funes like this.
  10. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    This. 1,000,000,000x this.

I felt the same way about RO Tarkin. He was not exactly Peter Cushing but he was absolutely Tarkin.

11. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    I am seeing this tomorrow morning at 11:30AM when I bought the tickets The first showing was at 11:30AM so I got those tickets I just looked they added a 10:30AM and a 11:00AM I wish I would have been able to get the 10:30AM oh well whatever. I am really excited for this! Can anyone who saw the film already tell me if you can kind of tell the parts that Ron Howard Filmed and the parts that Lord and Miller filmed or does it seem seamless?

12. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    Absolutely. Han was already a top three character for me - I like him more than Luke. But this film made me like him even more, which is a huge achievement given my love of the character was largely due to Harrison Ford's charm. But Alden captured the spirit really well, and the writers did too.

Satipo, Twain and Gamma626 like this.
  13. Jim Smith

Jim Smith Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 5, 2017
    I will never understand the hatred of fan-service. People seemed to love the fan-service in the force awakens but not anything else.

14. Chosen_Jedi74

Chosen_Jedi74 Jedi Master star 1

Apr 18, 2005
    Just got in from my screening. Solid 8 out 10. Really enjoyed it from beginning to end. Alden was fantastic and rest of the cast was solid. I was a little disappointed going in with the Luke warm reviews but now I don't care because I left the theater with a smile and most importantly wanting more adventures of Han and Chewie. Wish there was more Lando but that's okay this movie was really about Han and Chewie. I'm going again on Saturday with my kids and I hope they have a blast.

Satipo, Runjedirun and Othini like this.
  15. Miriedis

Miriedis Jedi Master star 3

May 23, 2015
    I was never doubting Alden's ability as an actor, especially after Hail, Caesar! I'm glad he did well in this role.

Strongbow and Othini like this.
  16. zackm

zackm Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 22, 2015
    I'm curious to see if the Alt-right types stick with the droids rights criticisms now that I've seen the movie. All of that stuff was used to great comedic effect and didn't have even remotely the same tone as the stuff with the Fathiers in TLJ.

17. Jamtia

Jamtia Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 5, 2016
    Han is one of my favorites and Alden made me like the character as well. I get he will never be Ford, but I feel like this guy gives us a new perspective of Han Solo and even does somethings better than Harrison did with Han. I'll get backlash for that I'm sure but that's just my gut feeling based on what I just saw.

Overall I liked this film a lot. I knew I would with Ron Howard behind it. He has been there and seen it all with Hollywood and Lucasfilm. I knew the movie was in good hands.

All of the actors did their thing in this movie. Woody Harrelson, one of my all time favorites, while played it simple, still did a nice job for Beckett. Chewbacca was really awesome in this movie. I didn't mind Emilia Clarke at all. There was some charm to her. I actually enjoyed this group of characters more than I did with the Rogue One characters.

Obviously the thing that hurts the movie in the eyes of OT fans who have seen the other movies is that we already know what's going to happen. That Han won't end up with Qi'ra, and anyone not Han, Lando or Chewie were not going to make it out alive in this movie.

We will see what happens. As much as I don't want to have them over do it, I would like to see more adventures with Alden and Donald as these characters. This would actually make for a great Netflix or animated series if they choose not to continue with a Han Solo trilogy.

Thought for sure we would see familiar Bounty Hunters, but it was nice to hear Bossk's name mentioned. I'm glad we didn't get Boba shoved into this movie or even Jabba for that fact. When Beckett said he was going to Tatooine, I for sure thought he would survive and that's how Han would get to Tatooine, by following him and have the whole Jabba saga play out. Though you had the feeling Beckett would cross Solo, I kind of knew it even before the movie even based on the trailers.

I thought the world building in this movie is the best of any Disney Star Wars so far. There is so much to take in and I hope they incorporate more of this to follow in other films.

I thought we would get to meet Chewie's family. They didn't mention how those Wookies were related to him right?

Beckett wearing Lando's bounty hunter disguise was gold.

I do agree the pacing was slow in the beginning, but that was just more of me wanting to get to the good stuff. I actually would have liked to see more of Han in the Empire. But it's cool that's how he got his name.

Warrick Davis character from TPM was a nice touch.

As far as the end reveal, I am not sure if I can talk about it in this thread, but it was cool. I really don't know what their plans are for that.

Based off first viewing, this is actually my favorite Disney movie. But that will probably change after multiple viewings. This one had the adventure that the other ones were lacking. I felt TFA had it, but then lost it when they got to the cantina scene.

I just hope they don't put Alden or other characters who play OT characters in post RotJ movies. I would love to see those stories on screen, but at the same time, not sure how I would feel.

I feel like they do have enough material for another movie, not sure about a sequel. The second movie can have Han going to Tatooine and another movie about dealing with bounty hunters? Another movie could focus specifically on Crimson Dawn, but I feel like that could carry over to other movies like Kenobi.

Man am I pumped for Star Wars again. TLJ had months of thinking and emotion and going back and forth to decide if I liked it or hated it. I really still don't know. But this movie was just fun beginning to end!

Also to add. This movie felt a lot like the tv show George wanted to make showing all of these worlds in the SW universe after Revenge of the Sith. I wouldn't mind this being a start of a tv series.

18. Solo88

Solo88 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 31, 2018
    Why are you curious? Who cares what the alt-right thinks

19. Gamma626

Gamma626 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 6, 2014
    I wouldn't say Solo makes me excited for Star Wars again. We'll still have to slog through an episode 9 that I'm incredibly disinterested in. However, I'll say it gets me excited for the future of what Star Wars can be again. I loved this movie. It's exactly what I want out of Star Wars. If they announced tomorrow that we're getting a trio of films, Lando, Qi'ra/Crimson Sun, and a second Solo, I'd be over the moon. I hope something like that happens. THAT would make me excited for Star Wars again.

Runjedirun and MS1 like this.
  20. zackm

zackm Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 22, 2015
    I find dumb people to be amusing. It would be extra entertaining to see them double down given how not serious the droid's rights thing is.

Satipo likes this.
  21. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    It's at 69% now. But you know what? Who the hell cares?! This movie is a freaking blast!

22. Gamma626

Gamma626 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 6, 2014
    I feel like a lot of critics are going far harsher on Solo than they would have if there wasn't such a huge blowback to the unanimous praise TLJ got. I've seen it already with several professional reviewers. They scored TLJ high upon release, soured on it, and scored Solo incredibly low.

Solo is not TLJ, and I have a feeling Solo will be far more fondly remembered than TLJ in a few years time.

MS1 and black_saber like this.
  23. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    Completely agree! At the beginning of the film, I was trying to feel it out seeing him as Han. By the end, Han Solo was ALL I was seeing, not seeing someone trying to be Han.

Runjedirun and Pro Scoundrel like this.
  24. Xinau

Xinau Jedi Master star 4

Apr 22, 2015
    Just came in here to say that, as usual, there were a lot of trailers shown before my 7pm screening tonight, and all I wanna know is:

Who asked for a Venom movie?

Do we really need Ant Man and the Wasp?

Is another remake of the Jungle Book really necessary?

Ricardo Funes likes this.
  25. gambit420

gambit420 Jedi Master star 2

Oct 14, 2003
    I'm an OT Purist and I thought Alden was a bad choice........... at first. Then I saw the movie. I thought he did a GREAT job! Better than I had ever imagined.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.