main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Solo Solo Reactions Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by Pro Scoundrel , May 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    Just saw it and this was a really good movie. I get why some people might be disappointed because it wasn't a big universe building movie but extremely well done and I liked all the characters. The whole Lando sexuality thing was completely overblown. It was pretty much a tongue in cheek joke where they said it. Was definitely impressed with Q'ira. I was wonderirng if hers was going to be a bit of a ho-hum character but I feel like Emilia Clarke did a very good job and am definitely interested to see where the Q'ira character goes from here.

2. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    I didn’t expect a dumpster fire but I thought it would be a ho-hum movie. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Aiden was terrific. Bottom half of Star Wars films to be sure but a worthy addition.

3. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    I'd still put it way ahead of the prequels but yes probably lower than most of the others due to the fact that it didn't really expand the universe much. With a film out every year though not all of them are going to be intended to do that however.

It brought to the table a lot of new and interesting characters that I am excited about learning more of.

4. superstardestroyer-1

superstardestroyer-1 Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 20, 2002
    I'll give Solo a 7 or maybe a 7.5 if I'm feeling generous. I liked it. Good not great. Some solid fun to be had, but clunky at the same time.

Good
    -Alden Ehereneich owned the young Han Solo role
    -Donald Glover was a great Lando.
    -good chemistry between the two
    -loved the deep dive star wars lore references including the cartoons and books
    -woody Harrison was solid
    -some solid action earpieces
    -Chewie!

Bad
    -felt very choppy at times. Could have been shorter.
    -I found the color palette offputting. Star Wars movies are typically colorful. This was purposefully muted and dark using washed out greys and yellows as the primary look. Things were hard to see and not visually pleasing. Had to be a conscious creative decision and I disliked it.
    - some questionable cgi
    -I found El-Three kind of annoying. I like the idea of a droids rights movement but thought it was s handled poorly and mostly done in a bad comedic way.

Last edited: May 24, 2018
  5. zackm

zackm Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 22, 2015
    HOT TAKE:

Alden was better as Han Solo than Donald Glover was as Lando.

6. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    I was really impressed with Alden as well. It didn't take long at all to get used to the fact it was a different actor playing the role.

Ricardo Funes and B99 like this.
  7. superstardestroyer-1

May 20, 2002
    If I had to rank this movie, I'd probably go...

The Empire Strikes Back
    A New Hope
    The Last Jedi
    Rogue One
    Return Of The Jedi
    The Force Awakens
    Revenge Of The Sith
    Solo
    The Phantom Menace
    Attack Of The Clones

B99 likes this.
  8. superstardestroyer-1

May 20, 2002
    I agree with this. Both were good though.

Ricardo Funes and Trikuza23 like this.
  9. MYMUTHAZ

MYMUTHAZ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 17, 2001
    Its moments like this I'm glad I just can't get into the cartoons. I was blown away when I saw him. Glad I didn't know it was coming. Could easily be tied into the Boba Fett movie or a Kenobi movie if they actually do that.

Trikuza23 likes this.
  10. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    Maybe "hatred" is a bit too much. I just find it annoying when they show me something that is supposed to be cool for the only reason that it refers to the OT. At least in TFA most of the references were given in a kind of original way. Here sometimes it just feels like they're lazily saying "hey, look! We're making Han say that, because in the OT he said that... Am I right?? "
    Also, I don't feel the need to have every single line of OT dialogue shown onscreen.

11. Runjedirun

Runjedirun Force Ghost star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    I am so happy people like Alden. I felt like the only one excited for a new Han. Seriously, Han is my favorite and Harrison didn't even like playing the role. So happy to have a Han that embraces Han. Movie was fantastic. I loved the ending as in when Han seemed to understand the depth of taking a life. Very western, gravity of humanity, nailed it.

12. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    It proved Han always shot first!

13. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    I get why some are putting ROTS ahead of Solo but I personally never could do that due to a lot of Sith's cringe worthy dialogue.

Satipo and 3sm1r like this.
  14. Gamma626

Gamma626 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 6, 2014
    The thing is, for me anyways, I'm a HUGE Glover fan. I expected him to be great. He is. But Alden was REALLY great, and I didn't expect that. So his performance almost stands out more in that regard. He really did carry the movie in a major way.

That's a big deal for me too. Harrison may not truly hate the role, but I 100% feel like he was "over it" and the sole reason Han died was because of him. I still don't feel like his death was necessary or even warranted for the story they're telling so far, and it's been a major drag on the ST not having the characters together.

Runjedirun likes this.
  15. CrAsHcHaOs

CrAsHcHaOs Jedi Grand Master star 2

May 7, 1999
    DID I JUST SEE Darth Maul when I saw the movie earlier tonight? Are my eyes playing tricks on me? OMG!

Who says that Disney is distancing themselves from the prequels?! With Bail Organa in Rogue One and Maul in Solo, it sure seems TO ME that Disney recognizes that there are many SW prequel fans out there!

16. KamNale

KamNale Jedi Master star 2

Feb 11, 2012
    I really liked this film. It was fun. Safe, but fun. I really think Alden did great as Han and I loved seeing some Chewie kicking butt. I thought the world building was astronomical in this and the characters all did great. Anyone think L3 and K2 would be an interesting pairing?

Ricardo Funes likes this.
  17. Twain

Twain Jedi Master star 3

Aug 12, 2014
    Just got back from seeing it and....it's everything I was hoping for and actually better than I was expecting.

A fun and fast adventure for all ages....not too dark or too serious....a story about scoundrels that focuses on characters and relationships. This film has a lot of heart.

I caught myself smiling more in this film than in any SW movie since the OT. Indiana Jones in space is an excellent description.

The world-building was more rich than I was expecting. Corellia finally on-screen and it worked. The Kessel Run is probably the best *space* sequence of the Disney Era....just fantastic. The Underworld scenes and the sabaac games were just pure fun.

Alden was better as Han than I was expecting. I didn't think Alden would bomb, but he did a better job than just average or serviceable. He was great! Chewie, young Lando, a spiffy Falcon....all the above worked for me. I'm not sure what else people could want for a movie about a young Han Solo.

And it ends perfectly. Han and Chewie win the Falcon and blast off together by themselves for the first time. It's set up perfectly for a sequel if they choose to do one, but if not then it's a perfect ending for Han's stand-alone backstory.

I'll see it again tomorrow.

18. My Palpatine Eyes

My Palpatine Eyes Jedi Knight

Apr 9, 2018
    I just saw the movie an hour ago and am still putting together my thoughts. Right away, I feel the critics are being unnecessarily harsh. I thought the cast was excellent and enjoyed every scene. It's too early for me personally to rank it because I like to digest a Star Wars movie before making such a decision. I'll see it again in a couple of days. My ranking may form at around that time.

It felt a little like Bladerunner in the very beginning in terms of color tones and scenery. Some of the CG may not stand the test of time so well, but that is a minor gripe concerning what I feel is a fantastic movie. I was blown away by the appearance of Maul and wonder if that is a set up for the Kenobi movie.

19. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    I really enjoyed the movie but I can understand where some of the critics were coming from, Up to this point all the Star Wars movies had been stories that really added a great deal to the universe. This was the first movie we have gotten that really could have been skipped without people missing anything. It was a story that could have easily been told in one of their novels.

20. ComfortablyNunb

ComfortablyNunb Jedi Master star 3

Nov 21, 2015
    I cannot believe how good that was. Even my "optimistic" self was expecting something on par with a decent MCU film (e.g. the first Captain America).

Instead, Solo reminded me of Raiders of the Lost Ark. It was everything I was hoping for from Kasdan -- old school, pulpy, swaggering, witty, romantic, funny, exciting. It's a credit to Kasdan that I genuinely tensed up several times during the movie even though we all know Han is going to be fine. Ron Howard did a fantastic job with the action sequences as well -- particularly the Kessel Run. But most of all, Solo had CHARM. After endless soulless blockbusters (e.g. Avengers, Justice League) or dark, grim, self-serious tentpoles (Logan, Blade Runner 2049), Solo was so light and winning and lovable. I was smiling ear-to-ear even when nothing particularly funny/"badass" was happening

Also, what the hell is with critics saying "the first act is slow to start." HUH??? It was non-stop adventure. In fact, I wouldn't have minded another talky scene before the Conveyex heist. If anything, my one criticism of the film is that the 3rd act has one twist too many -- I almost got whiplash from the quick turnarounds. So yeah, I'll concede one thing to TLJ haters -- I'm feeling a huge disconnect between what I saw and what I read in many/most reviews.

Ricardo Funes, Kole and Chosen_Jedi74 like this.
  21. JediLight

JediLight Force Ghost star 4

May 31, 2001
    I enjoyed it. Aiden and the whole Han and Chewie dynamic was really fun. I didn't expect to be okay with Harrison Ford not playing Solo, but the actor did a good job.

In terms of rating the movie, I would put it toward the back end for me. Possibly last.

dolphin and Ricardo Funes like this.
  22. Xinau

Xinau Jedi Master star 4

Apr 22, 2015
    Yeah, I really don't get the criticism of the first act. I really liked that part.

23. lovethedarkside

lovethedarkside Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 10, 2017
    I loved the movie. It was fun and I really enjoyed seeing Alden as young Han. It was also kind of nice not to have the fate of the Galaxy on the line, nor any mythological stuff going on. As much as I love the Episodes, I loved this movie for being out of the norm. Alden was fantastic, and I'm saying that as I lifelong Han fan.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

24. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    The first act did jump around a bit but it was good at developing the bond between Han and Q'ira.

25. hermiona52

hermiona52 Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 20, 2017
    Oh I agree, I'm already itching for some Qi'ra comics. First meeting face to face with Maul, how will they work, what will she have to do while working for him (which certainly make her regret that decision even more) and how finally she will meet her end.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.