main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Solo Sequel (Solo spoilers inside)

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Darth Chiznuk , May 25, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    I don't care how, just show the second part of the Solo series and use that to wrap up the loose plot threads. Don't leave these things dangling for years like what happened with TCW - a Solo sequel has too many interesting story threads to be put on ice.

Never thought I'd say that, props again to Ron Howard for crafting a pretty engaging flick!

2. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    I also never thought I’d say that, as I find Ron Howard to be one of the most mediocre big directors around. But his Solo is fantastic. Maybe his best film, next to Apollo 13. He surprised me and I have a renewed respect for him.

I’d be more than OK with a Solo TV series acting as the sequel. Even if it’s just a one and done season. Along with tying up loose ends, Alden Ehrenreich was amazing as a young Solo and I want to see more of his version. I like him just as much as Ford.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2018
  3. wobbits

wobbits Force Ghost star 4

Apr 12, 2017
    Yes, a tv series would be great just as long as they bring Alden back.

AndyLGR, chrcharcor2 and cwustudent like this.
  4. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    Have you seen A Beautiful Mind? Another Howard film, highly recommended.

DarthFixxxer likes this.
  5. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    I have but found it a bland, by-the-numbers, very Hollywood way of displaying mental illness. Didn’t like it.

6. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Yeah, I have mixed feelings about that one. On one hand, it is helpful to humanize an individual with a mental illness, to steer away from negative and ignorant stigmas. On the other hand, that is not how a schizophrenic perceives the world in terms of delusions and hallucinations- the way they portray those symptoms are definitely Hollywood. I don't know that it is good to falsely portray something that people are broadly ignorant about, and ignorant in a way that is extremely damaging to those who suffer from the disease.

I wouldn't have minded a Solo TV series to start with, but at this point I don't want it given what we have- 2 SW series, neither of which focus on a force user (s). We don't want overall content to float to far from the SW essence. Force users are at the heart of the epic struggle between good and evil in the GFFA.

Darkslayer likes this.
  7. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    Ah. As someone who has challengers with mental illness, I thought it was well done. But then again, I don't suffer from schizophrenia.

Lee_ and Bor Mullet like this.
  8. black_saber

black_saber Force Ghost star 5

Apr 4, 2002
    Will if they do a solo sequel, it won't land as a low budget original film because Bob Iger made that announcement about star wars movies.

Solo sequel has a better chance of being a tv series and would actually be better because you could have twice the adventure of Han Solo then just two movies, which usually gives us little details.

I actually which I doubt, hope that happens.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  9. Aximili86

Aximili86 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 28, 2018
    It's a possibility. I tend to think it's more likely Alden-Han just shows up again down the line sometime in a broader gangster/criminal ensemble flick (less of a direct Solo sequel, more of a sort of "Star Wars underworld Avengers/Justice League/Suicide Squad/Dirty Dozen" type of dealio), but pretty sure we're going to see him again even despite the box office curbstomp. Just in different form to a second shot at Solo.

Darkslayer and black_saber like this.
  10. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    its based on a true story.

have you seen Rush, The Da Vinci Code, Frost Nixon, Willow, Parent Hood, Cocoon, or splash. All great films IMHO and I even really liked In The Heart Of The Sea even if it was a little dark.

Does anyone know If Disney plans a Trilogy with Han Solo? I hope so...

DarthFixxxer likes this.
  11. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    I know it’s based on a true story. I just thought the way Howard interpreted his illness was very by-the-numbers Hollywood stuff that didn’t seem authentic to me. I liked Solo a lot, though, so this is an old post that isn’t really relevant anymore. He surprised me.

12. Aximili86

Nov 28, 2018
    Oh, A Beautiful Mind's nothing like how it actually happened.

I sort of love that about it though, that's one hell of a movie. The real story isn't as interesting, and it's sure as hell more of a downer, I can see why they wouldn't adapt Nash without major creative license. The end result's so damn cinematic though, easily one of Howard's best. Crowe & Connelly are awesome too, and that goddamn Horner score. ^:)^ Miss Horner so much.

13. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    I think it was one of the least-deserving Oscar winners in history. Next to Chicago.

IMO, Apollo 13 and Solo are his best films.

Horner’s alsy overrated, in my view. Too schmaltzy. Of the film composers in his class of composers, in terms of age, style, and the big films they did, Zimmer and Williams are much better. As is Giacchino, though he’s newer to the scene. Though Desplat is the best, I think. And after being dropped from Rogue One, I’d like to see him get a shot at Star Wars again.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
  14. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    A Beautiful Mind? Seriously...
    [​IMG]

15. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Master Jedi Fixxxer Force Ghost star 5

Oct 20, 2018
    I thought that A Beautiful Mind was a great movie all around.

On topic, as I mentioned in another thread very recently, I do wish there was a way that we could get SOLO 2 and even SOLO 3 if there's enough to tell. The first movie worked great on its own, but with sequels it would be elevated I think, like ANH was elevated with the next two movies. There's definitely more of Han Solo to show, and especially with the rise of Crimson Dawn and the beginnings of Rebellion, that era could be explored more, with Han as the main attraction, as stuff is happening in the background.

More Chewbacca and Han, more Lando perhaps, definitely a little bit more of Darth Maul, and of course Jabba The Hutt in the sequel.

Django Fett likes this.
  16. Aximili86

Nov 28, 2018
    I figure a version of that story's probably going to be told in some form down the road. It probably just won't be "Solo 2" as such, they'll re-tool it into something else. Like a Crimson Dawn movie, featuring Qira front-and-center, or a Jabba Crime Syndicate movie with Han/Chewie/Greedo/yadda yadda.

Seems the way to go. Get to see more of Alden-Han, without having to slash the budget majorly for a second Solo outing and have zero financial expectations for it.

17. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    A Beautiful Mod.

18. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    I personally think for future stories, we get maybe a Lando movie with Han and Chewie, gangster movie with Jabba or another with Qira and Maul. We could also get a tv show during this era that deals with the organize crime and show Maul and Jabba go head to head at each other.

19. Knight of Jedi Ren Sith

Knight of Jedi Ren Sith Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 29, 2018
    Liked the movie, but thought Alden lacked Ford's charisma and charm. Not asking for a recast though. He was passable.

20. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    His eagerness naturally limits how charming and charismatic he can be. He’s just not as world-weary as his older self. Alden played that kind of Han perfectly. I’d say almost flawlessly.

DarthRosie and wobbits like this.
  21. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    Count me in on the pro Alden camp, I thought he did a good job. I hope theres more adventures with him down the line at some point. You never know, they could recast the other 2 big characters in a film with him too.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
  22. Rodney-2187

Rodney-2187 Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 6, 2015
    Maybe the next one is a Lando movie with Solo as a supporting character. I sure want to see what happens with Qi'ra.

23. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    but isn't that usually the case with movie adaptations from books and real life but the movies can still be really fun and mostly factual just not 100% factual and then it prompts the viewers to read up on the subject in either books or the internet! that was totally the case with a Beautiful Mind It was just directed Beautifully by Ron Howard and great acting by Connelly and Russell Crowe.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2019
    IlhamKamaruddin likes this.
  24. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    OK, let's not get off on that tangent again. Take it to the A Beautiful Mind forum. :p

Last edited: Jan 21, 2019
  25. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    It's a shame that a sequel to Solo probably won't be made, everything is set up for the sequel and there is no reason with the right marketing and release date it couldn't be far more successful at the box office. With Han and Chewie settled aboard the Falcon you have the basics of what make Han Solo who he is, you're going to have Jabba's gang come up against Maul's Crimson Dawn, may be that could be something that gives Maul clues to Obi-Wan being on Tatooine.

DarthFixxxer likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.