main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Solo Sequel (Solo spoilers inside)

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Darth Chiznuk , May 25, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    With all of these series rumored I think it's pretty clear what we're getting right now are going to be limited series' like what Marvel is producing with their Loki and Scarlet Witch/Vision series'. So Mandalorian in 2019, Cassian in 2020, Solo in 2021(?).

2. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    If they announce any kind of series following from Solo (centered around Han, Qi'ra, Lando, or some starring combination of the three) any time this year, then I could see both that and the Cassian series being released next year.

3. black_saber

black_saber Force Ghost star 5

Apr 4, 2002
    Somehow I have forseen that this might happen. I hope which we might have a better chance, if these rumors of the tv shows are true, for a Darth Maul show as well.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2019
    Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  4. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    if they have to recast Han and Lando again I'm going to have several anxiety attacks in a row.

But I'd be way happy if Ron Howard was involved from the ground up this time! Hopefully Kassadans too!

Last edited: Feb 18, 2019
    black_saber likes this.
  5. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    "Starring Armie Hammer as Han Solo"

Bossk_Baby, cwustudent and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  6. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    If they're going to do a Solo continuation series, then the Kasdans are absolutely essential to that for me. You can literally hear Jon Kasdan's enthusiasm and excitement for continuing the story of Han and Qi'ra in the commentary tweets he made when the film was released on digital back in September; it'd be an outright shame if he never got to follow up on that, because I suspect a lot of the youthful energy in that script came from him while the "old Hollywood" blend of western with noir came from Lawrence Kasdan.

11-4D, Bor Mullet, cwustudent and 2 others like this.
  7. black_saber

Apr 4, 2002
    This is still only the start of more star wars tv shows with multiple seasons too if there first seasons of each one does well. So much for slowing down on star wars.

There also rumors of some of the Expanded universe characters might be getting tv shows of there own too.

8. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    If the theatrical releases "slow down" to one every 2 years but we get a steady stream of episodic Star Wars content on Disney+ that would certainly mitigate only getting 1 movie every 2 years.

IlhamKamaruddin and black_saber like this.
  9. black_saber

Apr 4, 2002
    I guess we will see how star wars episode 9 does to truly know, and I say, it's only temporary of slow down on movies.

10. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Iger never said they were slowing down on Star Wars. That was just a fan misinterpretation that morphed into an article of faith. All he was saying is that the two films a year thing wouldn’t be happening anymore because of the Solo BO problem. And then KK noted that they would be revisiting how they make Star Wars stories. And here is the result of that. Lots of TV shows.

11. black_saber

Apr 4, 2002
    That also depends on how episode 9 does too. I say, movie slowdown is temporary. But I am not sure for how long..

Last edited: Feb 19, 2019
  12. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Even if Ep IX is huge, which it probably will be, that won't necessarily change anything with what appears to be their new approach going forward. It probably won't make them reconsider moving Anthology stories to being TV series instead, because it could just reaffirm their view that only certain types of SW movies can be huge, as opposed to all of them (Solo fell under the "all of them" umbrella, and it didn't do well).

13. black_saber

Apr 4, 2002
    Solo did not do well not because of the film qulity, it failed for two reasons. One, because of the last jedi backlash, and two, Fans who hated the last jedi where being insulted by Lucasfilm Management.

On the other hand, I am glad we might be getting a han solo, a Lando and a qi'ira, of three different shows. If any rumor show likley not happening which I could be wrong is a Rose Tico show.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2019
  14. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    The point was not about why it didn’t do well, it was about LFL’s decisions going forward in light of it not doing well. They apparently drew their own conclusions about what the general public wants to see.

But no, there is nothing definitive saying that TLJ caused it to not do well, or LFL’s treatment of fans (seriously, come on). Those factors were only relevant for a small subset of fans. Market research suggested that the small window of time after TLJ and limited marketing were the main factors... and again, this is for MOST regular viewers.

15. black_saber

Apr 4, 2002
    Then why did solo bomb at the box office? I am concerned that episode 9 might fail at the box office.

Good thing there the star wars celebration 2019 in Chicago, and hopefully they as Disney and Lucasfilm can win back the fans. If there was no celebration this year, I believe episode 9 would have a bigger chance to bomb at the office

16. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    he just said it, marketing and release date. y'know, actual real stuff, not that somebody thinks Kathleen Kenedy called them an %$@$@$.

17. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    There are probably a number of reasons... I just gave two that were the conclusion of the market reasearch study that was done about this. It’s not like this hasn’t all been talked about ad nauseum in here already.

18. black_saber

Apr 4, 2002
    Ok I understand what your getting at. Are your sure it was not fan boycotts? Like I was saying lucasfilm and Disney needs to have a course correction to win back the fans at the celebration in Chicago. As a starter the mandalorian, and episode 9 needs to prove its worthy of redemption.

19. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    yes it was not fan boycotts because "fan boycotts" is not a thing that causes 500+ million less box office. Putting the movie smack dab in the middle of Infinity World, Deadpool 2, Incredibles 2 and Jurassic World are.

Also "fan boycotts" are not actually real things. Crowded box office and release dates are.

Also Solo did less internationally than domestically, is a "fan boycott" going to extend to international release dates when any such ire, such as it is, is almost entirely localized on American twitter? It's release date got smushed and it didn't have enough international numbers to support it. Actually in North America it landed at #10 of the 2018 Domestic box office. It's worldwide what with the Infinity War, Incredibles and Jurassic World taking up spots that did it in.

Solo should have come out in August, frankly. What the heck other competition did it have? The Meg? Crazy Rich Asians?

20. black_saber

Apr 4, 2002
    Ok I see . Its just I am worried about episode 9 following down that path too. And I do agree that solo should of been released alot later, but fan boycotts did somewhat play some part in it too. I would disagree that it did not have some effect on it.

i do agree about other facts of movie releases played apart too upon the competition,

21. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Obviously fan boycotts had some impact on the box office. We're talking literally hundreds of dollars in loss there.

22. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    I think a TV series option is the way forward with these properties. I want to see more from Alden and his Han, same with young Lando. We can end up with more content from a TV series as well. I think the films need a rest after IX, for some time at least. We can still get our fix with regular content though.

23. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    It made the difference! Mission accomplished! :rolleyes: :p

24. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Which is bizarre, considering how successful Rogue One was.

Bor Mullet and black_saber like this.
  25. black_saber

Apr 4, 2002
    Because Rogue one is currently the best one of the Disney star wars, but eventually that will change.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.