main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Artist Solo29's Art - Updated May 23 (Star Wars Galaxy 6 Returns!)

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by HanSolo29 , Nov 23, 2004.

1. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Thank you!

It's a mixture of colored pencil, marker and water color. I'm still trying to find the right balance.

You've managed to hit on something that has been bothering me. I showed them to a friend of mine last night for a thorough critique and we both agreed that each have their issues. I used two different methods for them(watercolor and colored pencil for Luke and mostly marker with some colored pencil for Han) and where something worked in one, it didn't go over so well in the other. For example, I think the likeness works a lot better in the Luke one, but like you mentioned with the colors, they're over saturated. I tried to add too many colors in an attempt to fix mistakes or things I simply didn't like and it came out looking very waxy and heavy.

With the Han card, a lot of it comes down to the reference image I used. Looking back at it now, it was a major mistake to choose an image with such a strange expression. That accounts for the 'stretching' you pointed out and it just makes him look odd. On the other hand, I'm very pleased with the coloring on this one. I prefer this method over the other and I think it's more effective.

So, there you have it - two methods and two levels of success. I think at this point, I need to try and find a happy medium. My friend suggested to find some new reference material(he choose a picture of Indiana Jones for me tonight :D) and to draw that same image multiple times and color it using the different methods. From there, we intend to compare them and try to come up with something that works. I think it's going to be a great exercise and hopefully it will help me out a lot with my coloring woes. :p

I intend to post my progress with that little project here, so stay tuned! :)

Hitchhiking-Ghost likes this.
  2. Alishu06

Alishu06 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 29, 2005
    I love the cards! You such an amazing job

3. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Those are great! I especially love the color on Han's face and hair :)

Congrats on becoming official!!! [:D]

4. Teegirloo

Teegirloo Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 26, 2005
    Nice work. Congrats on becoming official.:D

5. AricaBolts

AricaBolts Jedi Knight star 1

May 20, 2011
    Your Han solo looks really really great!

6. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Thank you, all! It's much appreciated! [:D]

I also wanted to drop a line in here that I have my Star Wars Galaxy 6 return cards available. I just received them back in the mail this afternoon and they're ready to ship out to new homes:

SW 6 Returns

They are all available for purchase except for the colored Han Solo in the lower right corner. If you are interested in any of them, please drop me a PM.

I also have 3 additional blank cards available for commissions. Once completed, these will be considered official pieces of Star Wars art. Once again, if you are interested, please send me a PM for the details.

Thanks!

Hitchhiking-Ghost likes this.
  7. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Oh, wow! Those are really amazing, Steph!!

8. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Amazing cards and congrats[face_dancing][face_dancing]