main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Some changes are coming.

Discussion in 'Communications' started by ObiWan506, Nov 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Cadaverous

Darth_Cadaverous Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 25, 2008

He's using the latest version of Firefox. When he tries to post something and hits Post Reply,it looks like it is trying to post but the screen never comes back. (He waited a good 5 minutes with no result). This was sent at 340 am board time.
    I suggested trying IE and he was able to post as of around 755 am board time with it but it was slow.

As of 1155 am board time he posted: Whatever is wrong is getting worse, I can view messages, and send PM's, but I can't post messages on either Firefox or Internet Explorer at the moment. I have Internet Explorer 7 (7.0.6) and Firefox 3.0.5

For both, when trying to post, I get a waiting for http://boards.theforce.net..., in the status bar and that's it nothing happens.

I can post on other forums okay, so it seems to be some problem, which started this morning. It did get better, but now I can't post at all.

And in his most recent PM he says I currently have Windows Vista, running Norton 360 Anti-Virus. I have tried on Both Firefox 3.0.5 and Microsoft Internet Explorer 7 (7.0.6). It also only seems to be the forum posting, I can get threads up, and send PMs, although it took a long time to load. It used to be okay, and I was posting 24 hours ago, but stopped this morning, and has been iffy since.

That is a new one for me. I have Vista, also have Norton 360 2008, plus the Beta version of IE8. However I do not use Firefox. boards sometimes come in slow, but over all, I have no problems. Only question I have for him, "Did you have full use of the internet, for weather can affect your posting on the boards, I have found out." Granted, he may have DSL or some such, but if it is slow for some reason, it will greatly slow down your connection to the boards and to many other places.

I know that my post may not be very helpful, but it may give some in sight.

2. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    In one of his PMs he said that other sites were OK. I know the boards are slower since the big change - I'm on dialup and parts such as sending PMs and posting are markedly slower, as are some of the admin functions I use. However his problems seemed to start the other day when the board pages were set to XHTML Transitional. I haven't seen any problems other than the ones we had with some older CSS code associated with some of the banners that affected their display. (We've fixed the ones we've found).

3. FlareStorm

FlareStorm Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 13, 2000
    Mine's actually faster, when posting a reply. I've had this problem (that I asked about, nobody could help) where posting replies would hang for about 45 seconds. Since the upgrade, the hang is gone. Note there were two firefox updates, maybe it was that.

4. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    Same.

5. jedichef1

jedichef1 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 17, 2004
    Ditto

6. Daft-Vader

Daft-Vader Chosen One star 8

Aug 6, 2008
    Okay, I have changed my Modem, And it is working fine now!

I use three mobile broadband, but I borrowed a different modem mobile phone thing, and it wouldn't work. Back to my own one, everything seems fine now.

Very Odd...

Thanks for your assistance, though.

Merry Christmas,

Daft-Vader

7. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Actually in searching your error messages in Google I did see some references to modems. I'm glad you fixed it!

8. FIVE-GIMER_RINGS

FIVE-GIMER_RINGS Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 16, 2002
    I am seeing some bold black lines here and there between the posts.
    Do they mean anything?
    There does not seem to be a pattern that I have figured out yet.

9. Daft-Vader

Daft-Vader Chosen One star 8

Aug 6, 2008
    So am I. :D

I can't believe how it was just because I was using a different mobile modem, how strange. The site is faster too now.

Thanks again for you assistance, LAJ_FETT

Daft-Vader

10. DarthBane77

DarthBane77 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 26, 2003
    Same. OPPM was annoying before - but this is really bad.

11. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    DarthBane77 posted:
    [quote=jedichef1][quote=Boba_Fett_2001][quote=Coruscant]I'm getting the OPPM message when I try to edit something. the hell. [face_plain] [/quote]Same.[/quote]

Ditto[/quote]

Same. OPPM was annoying before - but this is really bad.[hr][/blockquote] I'm noticing a pattern here.... [face_thinking]

12. Independence1776

Independence1776 Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 3, 2006
    I've been unable to log in since the system update. The only reason I can do so now is that I'm using a different computer.

I'm usually on a Mac, using an older version of Safari. What happens when I click "log in" button, it flashes blue but doesn't really click. And nothing happens. I'm able to log in with an even older non-Mac browser, but I'm unable to reply to anything. I've cleared my cookies, but it didn't help.

I know this is probably due to an older browser, but is there anything more I can do to fix this?

13. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    You should try deleting all of your cache or temp internet files as well. Either that, or try using a different browser on the same computer. Most of the problems people are having are either from their browser using old versions of cookies and/or script files, or their software firewalls needing to be updated. In your case, it's very possible that your version of Safari is not compatible with the the new forum software. Other people have reported not being able to log in with Safari, but were able to fix the problem by installing an update. If you can't get your browser to work, you'll either need to upgrade it or try a different browser such as Firefox or Opera.

14. Darth Gangrenous

Darth Gangrenous Chosen One star 10

Jun 1, 2005
    I'm still having problems staying logged in. I just made a post in the WNU and had to log in in excess of five times just to make one post. I'd write my post out, hit "post reply" and would take me to the main forums page and would log me out. This didn't happen until the changes came about and only happens on this site. No other site gives me this problem.

15. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    I noticed two problems so far:

1. The welcome screen doesn't notify of pm's

2. Since when does 1ppm apply to edits?

16. Manisphere

Manisphere Jedi Master star 5

Aug 25, 2007
    Out of curiosity, what version of Safari are you using? I'm one of the few Mac people (fairly few) and I've had no problems of any kind on either, Safari, Camino, or Firefox. Why not just update Safari or is it a bit more complicated than that?

The only (slightly) annoying thing is waiting the 1ppm to edit a mistake I might have made in a post.

17. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    If you have a firewall running or if you have your browser's security setting high make sure you have allowed cookies for this site.
    Also you can try clearing any old cookies for this site and your internet temp files. If that doesn't work post up what browser, operating system, and firewall/antivirus system you are running.

18. Darth Gangrenous

Jun 1, 2005
    MSN Explorer 9.6 and IE 7, Windows XP and Norton 360 2.0

I've been using the browser(s) since the most updated versions came out a couple years ago, XP for over four years and the Norton 360 for a year(2.0 upgrade/update came out a few months ago) so it has accepted the cookies for ages and the IE's security is set at medium(the lowest setting on IE7).

Norton 360 automatically clears cookies and temp. files when the system is idle.

I had to reformat my hard drive and re-install Windows with all it's updates a few weeks before the board changes. I don't think that would really have any affect on it but I will admit that you know a heck of a lot more about these things than I do so do you think that would have anything to do with it?

19. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    I would suspect Norton. I have Norton IS 2005 and I had to do some tweaking to get one of the admin functions working. I have the following setup for boards.theforce.net set under Privacy>>Configure>>Advanced:

Add in boards.theforce.net as a site and click on it.
    Set the following for the site:

Global Settings: Permit 'Information about your browser', permit same site 'Information about visited sites', Permit 'animated images', Permit 'scripts', Use default settings 'Flash animation'

User settings: Permit cookies, Java applets, ActiveX Controls. Pop-up ads - use Ad Block settings

I'm not familiar with Norton 360 but I'm sure it has the same or similar options somewhere. If it diesn't have 'Privacy Controls' check the firewall options.

Also if Nortom 360 automatically cleans up when the system is idle, is it possible it's wiping the cookies this site needs to tell it you're logged in? If you can try disabling that function for boards.theforce.net.

20. Darth Gangrenous

Jun 1, 2005
    I've looked through all the settings and such and can't find anything that has privacy controls or will allow me to do what you suggested in the firewall settings or any other of the settings. I did however turn off the "automatic scans" so it won't whipe out cookies while idle.(hopefully)

21. JediANGELA

JediANGELA Jedi Master star 6

Sep 28, 2002

I thought I was the only one. Can something be done about that?

22. Jinngerbread

Jinngerbread Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 2, 2007
    Seriously, it is really annoying.

23. Maulfly

Maulfly Moderator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2001
    Interesting feature (assuming we have the site changes to thank for them)...

Makes it easy to see who's been banned since their profile becomes inaccessable to other users (as if they don't exist any more). I hear you can still access their post history if you find one of their posts...haven't yet tested that out myself, though.

I like the fact that we now have the same options for formatting and preview in PMs as we do for posting. Kudos for whomever finally got around to adding that. [face_mischief]

24. Grand Admiral Strife

Grand Admiral Strife RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 21, 2001
    no, the way you can see their post history is if they are in the 'who's watching you' list, as the update now shows the last time said person logged in and posted, saving you the hassle of clicking on a name. :p

25. Maulfly

Maulfly Moderator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2001
    Assuming you're interested in the comings and goings of those who watch you, that is. :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.