main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Somehow, Bob Iger Returned

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth_Accipiter, Nov 20, 2022.

1. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
  2. Tython Awakening

Tython Awakening Force Ghost star 4

Oct 12, 2017
    I guess Disney is falling apart at the seams. Good ole visionary Bob should guide them back to the promised land.

Didn't someone say Disney parks are infested with RATS!

3. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    Come on, the thread it’s being discussed in is right there.

heels1785 , Ramza and solojones like this.
  4. Lordban

Lordban Isildur's Bane star 7

Nov 9, 2000
    Someday, somehow thread titles won't return.

5. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    I'm not holding out too much hope for it yet, but this certainly would be a chance for the theme parks to try to turn things around as those have had a nose dive in quality and enjoyability. Also hearing some satisfaction about this form a lot of quarters, including people working in the parks.

6. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    Chapek was granted a three year extension of his contract less than five months ago, what did he do to piss off the board since then, use Walt's frozen head as a volleyball?

7. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    In addition to the mouse problem?

Barriss_Coffee and gezvader28 like this.
  8. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    Sure hope that under Iger big 20th Century Fox (erm, 20th Century Studios [face_sick]) movies like The Last Duel and Nightmare Alley aren't left to die a quick death with no fanfare and be immediately plucked from theaters.

I still can't wrap my mind around the decision to dump Guillermo del Toro's next film off the back of his Oscar with for The Shape of Water on the same day as the latest Spider-Man, barely say a word to promote it, and then just move on.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2022
  9. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Mar 13, 2014
    Disney dumped a bunch of movies after the 20th Century Fox buyout.

A few made sense while others made no sense. Also way too many movies last fall not enough now.

I understand it costs money to not release a movie because of way movies are financed - but in this case the glut of films in 2021 must have lost studios money - unless there was some
    sort of Pandemic refund money that made releasing them at that time more of a sure thing financially.

But Disney was already dumping moving from the merger in 2018 and 2019 that had noting to do with the Pandemic.

10. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Resources were allocated prior to Chapek taking over, then Chapek took over, nobody expects Del Toro films to necessarily turn a profit, so Disney saves on promotional costs and Chapek incurs none of the backlash because it wasn't "his" project. Entertainment CEOs - and really CEOs in general - like to abandon or kill things that their predecessors greenlit so that it looks like they're doing something profits are attributed solely to their contributions.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2022
    Adam of Nuchtern likes this.
  11. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    I loved The Last Duel but the odds that general audiences were going to be interested in a two-and-a-half hour medieval rape drama were always going to be low.

12. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    What a ****ing loser Chapek. Not only is he ousted suddenly, because of the awful job he did, he's only walking away with a $23 million payout.
    Harsh, but that's the price you pay.

soitscometothis likes this.
  13. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    What are the parts of Disney Iger needs to save besides theme parks, cruise line, movies and 18 months of falling rock price? Is Disney+ member growth stalling?

14. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    It's stalling and Netflix started growing again. The kiss of death.

Rylo Ken likes this.
  15. Beef_Sweetener

Beef_Sweetener Jedi Grand Master star 2

Jan 25, 2005
    California Adventure, when I was there last year for the first and last time, felt like a Six Flags quality dump at best. That was a colossal waste of money. Disneyland was still awesome though. I'm not sure Iger is the cure for the cancer that is the sluice of sub-par programming on D+ but here's hoping.

16. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    so what does Bob Iger do?

TiniTinyTony likes this.
  17. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    California Adventure was created by Eisner solely to.justify building a hotel he really wanted when board members told him it didn't make sense because Disneyland was a one day park.

18. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Somehow, somehow threads have returned

Juliet316 and Count Yubnub like this.
  19. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    I think the current appeal for those invested is "not be Bob Chapek."

20. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Somehow, _____ has returned = ITT we talk about _______

21. Lordban

Lordban Isildur's Bane star 7

Nov 9, 2000
    [​IMG]

Juliet316 and Ramza like this.
  22. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    Has Iger still been on the board this whole time? Not the JCC. The Disney BOD

23. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    Pretty sure Bob Iger is on the JCC Board too.

24. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Mar 13, 2014
    I believe so - yes.

Didn’t Iger take on additional unplanned responsibilities to reassure shareholders during the pandemic?

25. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    Iger was the executive chairman of Disney to the end of last year as he stayed on to help out with the "transition" which turned out to be nothing but a transition back to himself. Reminds me of Horrible Bosses when names himself as the person who got the promotion and then makes his office bigger by sledgehammering the other one next to it:

And were seeing partly why not a single live action movie from Star Was ever got into production level in the Chapek era. @Rylo Ken My guess is that Iger brings in the Bobs to every studio they have and figures why they are sputtering particularly Lucasfilm:

[​IMG]

Call me crazy but I don't think Iger was brought back not even a year after he basically left to keep the "status quo". I also think he will dive into the problems at the theme parks and hopefully get those square out including the fact it costs an arm and a leg to go even for one day even if you are like my family where our youngest who is six cannot even go on most of the major attractions to the point we have pushed back our trip there (and Universal) to perhaps Thanksgiving 2024 just so at least when we go, she can go on all the rides. But the last part of them ever going back to tier pricing like they did back in the day is wishful thinking on my part.