main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Something I have been VERY concerned with as of late...

Discussion in 'Communications' started by The_Sith_Prophet, Apr 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The_Sith_Prophet

The_Sith_Prophet Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 22, 2003
    Basher/Gusher threads are trolls alike. I fel that they hinder any real enjoyment of a board when you have to be careful what you post in front of them.

2. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    Basher/Gusher threads are trolls alike. I fel that they hinder any real enjoyment of a board when you have to be careful what you post in front of them.

Threads cannot be trolls themselves. Only users can be trolls. And no one is hindering anything you want to post unless it is trolling or flaming or baiting. Those are against the TOS. Other than that I am not sure what you are saying here. And I am still waiting for proof that the DFs promote users to flame.

3. GriffZ

GriffZ Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 27, 2001

Just for clarification: You say that anyone can post in a Sanctuary as long as they stay on topic. But what exactly is the topic? Anything positive about the film?

4. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    "I feel that they hinder any real enjoyment of a board when you have to be careful what you post in front of them."

C'mon! Must....resist...posting. Too...much...misery in the sanctuaries.

What, are the sanctuaries your kryptonite?

5. Punisher

Punisher Jedi Master star 4

Oct 20, 1998
    Well, YodaJeff, people have always segregated themselves, either by law or by choice. Humans can always find reasons not to get along, that's real life.

The point remains, "sanctuaries" exist, some people feel the need to post in them, some people feel their existence is a detriment to the MOVIE FORUMS.

My earlier post still stands... move them, lock them, or ignore them.

I think all the Mods of the MOVIE FORUMS should decide on this and let that be it... these "sanctuaries" whether effective or not, won't go away by choice (each side will argue for their existence), a decision should be made.

6. yodahs-daddy

yodahs-daddy Jedi Master star 5

May 20, 2002
    I agree with the Administration.

7. Qui-Dawn

Qui-Dawn Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 8, 2000
    *cautiously pokes head in here* Eeeek! Don't worry, I shan't be much of a disturbance....I just felt that, well, surely it couldn't hurt for me, as well, to have a bit of a say on what's happening....I'll try to put it in the best way possible, so all I ask is that you bear with me and be patient. Thanks oodles, then.... :)

Simply put - I, personally, have greatly enjoyed and appreciated the Defense Force threads....and all the users that I've met, chatted with, and had most fruitful and informative, fascinating discussions with as a result. Naturally, as a gusher myself, I gravitate directly towards threads of those types....it just makes the most sense to me, and thus also helps me avoid any undue aggravation or frustration that I may suffer, should I chance upon a thread elsewhere whose tone may not, necessarily, be to my liking. That's just how it is. :) However....I also know that I never venture into anyplace like the gusher's "sanctuary", nor do I go about picking fights or flaming or anything like it. For one thing, that's just something *far* too stressful and ultimately futile to ever be attempting....and I don't think anyone needs *that* kind of frustration and turmoil....already enough goin' on in our lives as it is, I reckon. ;)

Indeed....in my own experience, my only personal purview - it is not those of the Defense Force threads, per se, who have tended to ruffle so many feathers and cause so much extreme aggravation and frustration. Now, I'm not at all placing blame here or pointing fingers - honest! :) - I'm just, you know....I calls 'em as I sees 'em....and from my own lengthy experience in the Defense Force threads - it's not those of us in *them* who, by and large, have been responsible for past ruckuses and brouhahas. Indeed, speaking from my own personal vantage point here....I far-and-away, *much* rather prefer to stick to the DF and appreciation threads, and whatnot....'cause they're perfectly nice, supportive, inspiring, enjoyable and manifestly positive atmosphere - and I think they should absolutely remain as-is.

Some of us just need forums and threads like that....no one ever forced me into it, I just - gravitated to 'em naturally and easily enough....sought them out entirely of my own accord, and thus am continually and ever more glad to have done so. I very much enjoy and appreciate them, am most grateful for a thread or forum that promotes a welcoming, positive atmosphere....and since that is what these threads offer....well, I just think and, indeed, dearly and sincerely hope - that they will remain. Indeed, there's absolutely no reason why they *shouldn't*. Please, *please* don't even think about taking them away, I implore you....some of us really *do* like 'em, I swear! :D Here, I'll get down on bended knee to further implore, if it helps.... :)

Thanks again for allowing me to speak my piece....it's much appreciated. :) Take care, everyone,

Dawn.

8. The_Sith_Prophet

Feb 22, 2003
    Wait- that last poster was in an AotC Defense Force?

I thought there would be no Defense Foces/Bashers Sanctuaries allowed on the AotC board?

I just thought of something; if there were no Bashers guilds, there'd be no need for Defense Forces, right?

9. Gay-LenKenobi

Gay-LenKenobi Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 20, 2000
    Jeff, you'll understand why I roll my eyes at the cliques comment. You know people gather in social circles. You know people like to discuss things with their friends.

The TPMDF did (and does) have an offsite board. But there are other social circles here that have other boards that also continue to have their JC threads.

There are plenty of other SW topics that get devoted threads which could be discussed elsewhere. Obi-Wan has a fan club in SWC. So does Luke. So does ESB. There is also a thread for discussing Anakin and Padme's relationship. There has been several incarnations of the Handmaiden Society threads. Those are just the ones I can think of off the top of my head. All of those could be redirected to other threads in multiple forums. But they aren't. Why should the DF's and Sanc. be any different? Just cause a couple people don't like them?

"I thought there would be no Defense Foces/Bashers Sanctuaries allowed on the AotC board?"

There is an AOTCDF in SW Community.

"I just thought of something; if there were no Bashers guilds, there'd be no need for Defense Forces, right?"

You already said that, and I already answered you.

10. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    The AOTC Defense Force is in the SW Community forum, since it wasn't allowed in the AOTC forum. That all happened before I was a mod.

Qui-Dawn, would you also say that you've been able to take part in decent discussions in the AOTC forum, even though there isn't a defense force thread in the forum?

11. slavegirl

slavegirl Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 6, 2001
    I've noticed that many of the problems in the Basher/Gusher sancturies have been caused largely by extreme people who are not members of either thread, and really, most DF/Sanctuary regulars can get on well with each other and make the forum a pleasant place. Go read through the two threads, and I'm sure you'll find more examples of bashers and gushers getting on together than fighting. And I'm not going to name any names, but I find it amusing that one of the people demanding an end to the Sanctuary and Defence Force has caused more problems for the TPM forum than most of the regulars of those two threads put together...

12. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    I also find it odd that this thread was started by someone who registered in Feb 2003. So barely two months here has them VERY concerned with the Bashers' Sanctuary and the DF threads? The motivations smell funny...

13. GriffZ

May 27, 2001

Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

14. The_Sith_Prophet

Feb 22, 2003
    First of all, strilo, it is April, meaning i've been here three months, nearly four; secondly, when I first came here I lurked on the TPM thread; so don't even attempt to attack me ad homeium!

EDIT: And, my dear strilo, what exactly are you suggesting my motivations are?

2ND EDIT: I don't have to stoop to your level and flame you.

15. Qui-Dawn

Qui-Dawn Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 8, 2000
    Hi YodaJeff. ;) We-ell, yes....actually, I have been fortunate enough to be able to take part in other discussion threads on the AOTC board - though I am *very* careful about where I do it. Call me picky, call me choosy....personally, I prefer to think that I'm merely demonstrating a fine, discriminating taste ;) - but all's I know, from my own vantage point, is that the few threads I do post to....are the Appreciation threads in their own right. The Subtle Gestures thread, for instance, and the Great Scenes Directed by George Lucas one as well.... (in fact, methinks that I'm getting rather famous in that one....) *giggle* And, actually, the truth is....I sort of - consider those ones little sanctuaries too, in their own especial way....'cause they're eminently positive places to be, I find them welcoming and uplifting and encouraging, in tone and content....and that's why I predominantly stick to 'em. :)

Truth be told, it's these kinds of threads that I've actually been searching for all along....they're the ones I sought out from the start, made a direct beeline for what were, to me, the nice places to be - and I never really look any further than that. I'm happiest where I am....that's all as it is. :) I do hope all that made at least some semblance of sense. :D

Tah muchly,

Dawn.

16. Gay-LenKenobi

Sep 20, 2000
    Well, Sith_Prophet, you do only have 3 posts in the TPM forum. I think strilo's particpation there has earned him a great deal of respect. You can claim lurking all you like, but that record doesn't compare to his.

And FYI, "I don't have to stoop to your level" could be considered a mild, veiled flame. There is a zero-tolerance policy in this forum regarding that.

17. The_Sith_Prophet

Feb 22, 2003
    If you're suggesting I'm making an early bid for Modship, stop. I just want to see these boards run peaceful and smoothly.

EDIT: And I couldn't care less what strilo says. That bid about my motives is obviously a veiled flame, as well.

18. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    First of all, strilo, it is April, meaning i've been here three months, nearly four; secondly, when I first came here I lurked on the TPM thread; so don't even attempt to attack me ad homeium!

OK first, that was neither a flame nor an attack, and I checked it with a Mod. Second, four months from February is June. Assuming you registered on Feb 1st, March 1st would be one month. April 1st would be two months. It is April 18th so basically 2 1/2 months.

I see that you still have not provided any proof to back up your statements. So what that implies to me is that you are merely concerned with throwing out statements whether you can substanciate them or not. As such unless you can prove this, I say your statements are null and void. Or they are simply your opinion and I will take them as such.

19. DarthWrytard

DarthWrytard Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 26, 2002
    Forgive my ignorance, but what is a "troll?"
    What do ***AoE*** and ***EoA*** mean?

20. The_Sith_Prophet

Feb 22, 2003
    Forget it.

Kadue, Sapient, lock this thread. strilo and Gay-LenKenobi are obviously biased, seing as how they are practically members of the Defense Forces.

Forget it, just lock this thread.

21. Darth-Stryphe

Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2001
    To begin with, the two threads do not increase tension, they reduce tension. They allow each side an escape, while at the same time, (since they have an open door policy) they allow the other side to come in and chat and get to know, understand and appreciate each other side more. Strilo, Quix, Oakessteve, SomeRandomNerd and Daughter_of_TheForce are just a few who will personally attest to this.

What generates tension between two parties isn't the Sanct/DFs, what generates tension is people making a big deal about these threads (such as being done here), and other message boards where users posts inflammatory remarks about the opposing sides. *cough*SOTJ.net*cough*. Certain JC users (and you know who you are) could do more to ease tensions by ceasing to bash JC members off forum than they ever will trying to organize petitions which only cause unneeded internet drama and polarize the fans in Comm.

22. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    So because gay-len and I disagree with your reasons, which you have yet to back up with proof, you want your thread closed?

23. Gay-LenKenobi

Sep 20, 2000
    DarthWrytard, the Communications FAQ says the following:

"There are a couple of definitions. Usually, a troll is someone who posts to a thread, or starts a thread, with the purpose to cause trouble or get people upset. This is usually done in bulk when there are not many admins around. Now it has been adapted to describe anyone who causes problems on the forums."

As for ***AoE*** and ***EoA***, I couldn't tell you. I don't like the AOTC forum any longer, so I don't visit, and that seems to be where those terms are from.

24. GriffZ

May 27, 2001

I'd also really like to know what this AOE thing is. If anyone knows, I appreciate it if you could PM me.

Thanks in advance.

25. The_Sith_Prophet

Feb 22, 2003
    No, strilo, it's because as you're in the AC, my idea will obviously not pass.

I know who I want to be in the AC next election time....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.