main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Something strange in the 'Art of SW: TLJ' book - Kira reference, again

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Giando74, Mar 27, 2018.

1. Giando74

Giando74 Jedi Master star 1

Sep 24, 2014
    Hello, unfortunately I wasn't able to take a picture of it because a shop-assistant was right in front of me but a few minutes ago I was in a bookstore here in Milan browsing some pages of the book 'The Art of Star Wars: The Last Jedi' and in the section about the 'mirror scene' involving Rey, there's an artwork with half Rey's face and half Kylo's face - front view - and the comment is about (quote) the 'KYLO / KIRA' relationship... quite strange to see that name again...
    It's the name that the main female character of VII was supposed to have when the first leaks about TFA started to emerge... maybe a small mistake from the author of the book... or maybe it is a possible hint to some revelation about the true identity of Rey?

Last edited: Mar 27, 2018
    whostheBossk likes this.
  2. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016
    I'm not sure about that. The mirror scene seemed to be showing Rey that her destiny is not tied to any noble heritage that the force is going to connect her with. The coming together of the two figures into one and then just the reflection of Rey's image was telling her that she is alone. That sense of aloneness brings her closer to Kylo Ren.

yanote likes this.
  3. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    Maybe that's the name Kylo likes to call his wife.

[face_whistling]

IncessantRamblings likes this.
  4. Giando74

Giando74 Jedi Master star 1

Sep 24, 2014
    Ehm... what?

5. Birkendoc

Birkendoc Chosen One star 4

Sep 20, 2001
    To quote the FO officer in TLJ, "He's tooling you."

6. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
  7. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    then they just reprinted the same stuff from the tfa book.

11-4D likes this.
  8. Gobi-1

Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 22, 2002
    A lot of the artwork with Rey/Kira on the island with Luke was created under the development of Lucas before he sold the series to Disney. Luke on the island training Rey/Kira was originally going to feature in episode 7. When J.J. came onboard he pushed Luke further back into the story and those sequences ended up in The Last Jedi instead. The Kylo/Kira text in the book may simply be an error since that was Rey's original name during development. Not sure how far they got into production of The Force Awakens with it. Kira's name may not have been changed to Rey until late in the game when Rian Johnson was already writing the script for the TLJ and developing ideas with the art department.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2018
  9. JoJoPenelli

JoJoPenelli Chosen One star 6

Aug 14, 2000
    That was never an issue. Rey never expressed the hope or desire to have “important” parents.

She just wanted to be reunited with them again,

I feel like...like Rey’s perfectly reasonable (and very sympathetic) wish to connect to her missing parents, whom she’s longed for for 14 years...is being viewed by some as some arrogant delusion she needs to rid herself of.

In the cave, she asked to see her parents. There’s no reason to believe that what she saw was not some response to her articulated desire to see her parents.

I’d also like to point out the rather overt pottery with the Dagobah DS cave scene.

10. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    I have always loved the name "Kira" - That would have been great if they went the Kira Skywalker or Kira Solo route! I guess we are getting a variation that is pronounced the same (I assume) in the Solo film...

Harbour likes this.
  11. Gharlane

Gharlane Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 30, 2000
    I don't think it was an island at that points. All the drawings by Doug Chiang I think are done during the development with Lucas and I think most of them all show Luke and some sort of Jedi Temple in the mountains actually.

12. JeeediMoriah

JeeediMoriah Jedi Master star 1

Apr 23, 2014
    Something totally unrelated but Kylo/Kira would be cool twin names.

(e.g. Luke/Leia, Jaina/Jacen...)

P.S. Ren/Rey would work too hehe. Too bad they are bad fanfic lovers. :(

Last edited: Apr 1, 2018
    Avnar likes this.
  13. ObidioJuan

ObidioJuan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2002
    KIRA is Rey's dark-side name.

Just don't call them sith. The sith are gone. Anakin fulfilled the prophecy[face_devil]

Trust Jar-jar[face_rofl]

oncafar likes this.
  14. CairnsTony

CairnsTony Force Ghost star 5

May 7, 2014
    Ironically Kira means 'dark' in its Irish origin and 'light' in its Persian origin. I could be wrong but I don't think this is pure coincidence.

15. Chewies_bandolier

Chewies_bandolier Force Ghost star 4

May 5, 2002
    Ahhhh ..... "Kir-"a means something very, very, very not appropriate in Persian slang ... no more said.

16. DominusNovus

DominusNovus Jedi Master star 3

Dec 27, 2017
    A quick perusal of the etymologies does not seem to suggest that the two are related. On the other hand, English “black” comes from the same root as the Romance words for white (blanco, blanche, branco, etc), which only retains a similar meaning in English in the word “blank.” Ultimately, this is believed to be because they both originally referred in some sense to burning, either as the brightness of a flame or the darkness of something burnt.

So, perhaps a similar situation happened here. Persian and Irish are related, after all.

17. CairnsTony

CairnsTony Force Ghost star 5

May 7, 2014
    When I said I didn't think it was a coincidence, I was suggesting that maybe George or someone saw the name and found out about the contrasting etymologies. The etymologies may or may not be connected in any way, but what matters is how the name got picked. I'd like to think that George or whomever thought it was cool as a name for their new hero due to the contrasting etymologies.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
  18. Plan741

Plan741 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 22, 2015
    Yes. They really like this name and are determined to use it somewhere officially.

19. Plan741

Plan741 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 22, 2015
    I think Kira was Lucas' character. If Rey is purely the same or a variant if her character remains to be seen. Lucas did a lot of research in many things spiritual as well as names that have a specific meaning in another language and belief system (Shaak Ti, female Jedi, Shakti: Hindu goddess whose name equates with power, capability, spiritual essence common in all things: concepts tied to the description of the force).

whostheBossk likes this.