main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Something that's been bothering me about names...

Discussion in 'Literature' started by TIEace, Mar 19, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TIEace

TIEace Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 27, 2000
    When coming up with characters, many Star Wars authors use apostrophes (sp?) or ' in the middle of names. What does this signify? I've heard mainly that they stand for a pause.

Any help would be appreciated, it's just getting on my nerves. :)

2. Syntax

Syntax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 1, 2001
    Well, sometimes that's the way an alien species spells their name (like "ethnic" names in real-life, such as Polish/Russian names ending in "ski"/"sky"). Bothans usually have an apostrophe in there (Kre'fey, Fey'lya). Some Devaronians do (Kardue'Sai'Malloc), as do some Twi'leks.

3. BobaFetts_Clone

BobaFetts_Clone Jedi Youngling star 2

May 12, 2001
    I usually pernounce it as a pause. Now if the is a '!' in a name, it signifies a toung click. Not used in SW, but it is an interesting fact. Anthropologists use this denotion for languages that involve toungclicks, its really something to hear. And there are subtle nuonces in the clicks that mean different things. ITs really cool.

The problem i find my self having is that i go over harder names quickly and recognize them by their letter, and hence i don't pronouce them. Its as horrible habit which i am breaking, and it takes away form me rememebering the names.

4. ash_shack_II

ash_shack_II Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 27, 2001
    Hey, I do the same thing all the time!

Did you read about the tongue click thing in the Mysteries of Science magazine that was put out by US News (I think)? Because I just read about the ! thing, even though I knew about the clicking language for a long time before that.

5. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    There actually aren't many apostrophied names in the EU. Bothans, Devaronians, Twi'leks and Chiss all have them as a part of their culture, as do a few humans.

But percentage-wise, apostrophied names are few and far between.

6. Syntax

Aug 1, 2001
    Hmm.. which humans? I vaguely remember that there ARE some, but my memory is failing me at present. :)

7. IAmTheDarkSide

IAmTheDarkSide Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 9, 2002
    It depends on the context. With Bothan names, I often just read through as if it's not there. For me, Fey'lya = faylee-uh, and Kre'fey = kruh-fay. However, with Twi'lek names, I'll sometimes introduce a pause: Nawar'aven = Nah-wahr [pause] ahven.

8. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    Jorj Car'das, Shada D'ukal and Joruus C'baoth come to mind.

9. Syntax

Aug 1, 2001
    I usually treat 'em like syllable pauses. I never really considered introducing anything beyond the appropriate "break" we do when we speak a multi-syllable word.

10. Syntax

Aug 1, 2001
    Oh, duh, Mistryl. I'm dumb. :)

11. loser_fett

loser_fett Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 5, 2001
    Jorj Car'das, Shada D'ukal and Joruus C'baoth come to mind.

Another thing we can blame Zahn for ;)

12. Senator_Elegos_A-Kla

Senator_Elegos_A-Kla Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 18, 2001
    It also denotes clan & family names.

Fey'lya = 'Fey' Family, 'lya' Clan/Honorific (Something along that line)

A'kla = 'A' Paternal Surname, 'kla' Maternal Surname. In I, Jedi Elegos says that Ylenic It'kla was his mother's brother. Therefore 'kla' means maternal family line for his family while 'It' or 'A' would be paternal family lines.

With Twi'leks, it the apostrophe usually denotes a meaning from a name. I don't have a copy of Wedge's Gamble or Krytos Trap at the moment so I can't give any examples.

With the Mistryl & Devaronians, I have no idea.

13. Halcoholic

Halcoholic Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 24, 2002
    In Twi'lek culture, a split name means that the certain individual is no longer recognized as part of society. In The Bacta War(?), when the Rogues go to Ryloth, the whole thing is explained. Although, I do believe that some Twi'leks split their names purposely in order to fit in better with human culture (Nawara Ven).

14. Knight1192

Knight1192 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 5, 2000
    Actually, that The Krytos Trap that they explain the Twi'lek thing in. And Nawara said something like his name means silver tounged when properly pronounced in Twi'lekki, but when split it becomes tarnished silver in the Twi'lekki tounge.

15. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    Nawar'aven is called Nawara Ven, because bureaucrats were too stupid for writing his proper name in his ID-card. They took the name and made it Basic
    very much like something may get lost, when you write japanese or kyrillic names/ words in our ... letters (what letters do we use? Latin letters?)

Bib Fortuna on the other hand is outlawed and lost every claim of respect in Twi'lek society, hence his split name.
    No regular Twi'lek has a 'normal' name wothout apostrophs, according to those KrytosTrap-people.

16. I-poodoo

I-poodoo Jedi Padawan star 4

May 1, 2001
    I've always wondered if the dash in Obi-wan and Qui-gonn's names were a result of being born on a certain planet and named there or being brought up as Jedi.

On a sidenote It annoys me when Authors create impossible tongue breaking names in SciFi and Fantasy books. I know they do it to convey a sense of foreigness and ethnicity to the characters, but that doesn't help me pronounce the darn thing.

17. TIEace

TIEace Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 27, 2000
    Thanks guys, I appreciate the patience and help. :)

18. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    I found another apostrophied human name that wasn't invented by Zahn:

Kid DX'oln

19. BobaFetts_Clone

BobaFetts_Clone Jedi Youngling star 2

May 12, 2001
    Ash-

no, i rad about the toung click thing in my anthropology book. at least i know i'm not the only onw who skips names.....hehe

20. ash_shack_II

ash_shack_II Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 27, 2001
    Ah, anthropolgy. If only my school had such classes. Instead, we have classes like Beef Science. My friends and I had a running joke about one of my other friends, who likes (read: loves) to eat. We all pictured him walking into the classroom on the first day of school and saying "Where's the beef?"

I guess you had to be there. :)

21. muuurgh8150

muuurgh8150 Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 4, 2002
    uuuhhhh... ditto to everybody else.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.