main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC [Sorry, Jello] One less King in the world...

Discussion in 'Community' started by JoinTheSchwarz , Jun 2, 2014.

1. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    A white and delightsome people.

2. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
  3. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Nice day for a white wedding...

[​IMG]

Saintheart likes this.
  4. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    im just going to dump this sam kriss here [face_whistling]

Point Given likes this.
  5. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005

So a divorced, anorexic former news anchor will be your new Queen. Viva Espana!

6. CloneUncleOwen

CloneUncleOwen Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2009
    I believe General Lord Chelmsford was writing something to that effect in his diary on the way to Isandhlwana.

7. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001

Racist.

8. Darth_Omega

Darth_Omega Force Ghost star 6

May 19, 2002
    Warning republic and picture intensive post Jello and people on phones beware
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I wonder if Daveed is on one of the pictures?

9. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    That's my hometown. Pretty close to my old place, actually. :)

DarthTunick likes this.
  10. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Any Konigsdag pics Omega?

11. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I am both Jello and on the phone, so damn you :p

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

Darth_Omega likes this.
  12. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Watched the whole coronation live: from the processional to the swearing in to the parade and balcony bit. Just under three hours or so. It was at an ungodly hour for US viewing but oh well.

News sites are using different pictures, but I like the timing of my screen cap :p

[​IMG]

All in all, pretty satisfying. The ceremony was short and rather... modern, but it still had some pomp. Soldiers with tricorns and axes, nice pretty Spanish foils, , infantry with bayonets fixed, and cuirassier horse guards which were an honest surprise (and very pleasant) for the parade, since we were told not to expect horse guards. so there was a decent amount of pomp. The parliamentary chiefs even wore morning coats. It's nothing on, say, the royal wedding or anything... but still pretty nice considering how austere they said it was gonna be.

Felipe looked pretty boring and humorless at first but he started getting a bit more animated further on. He actually cracked a smile (quickly suppressed) when the President of the Senate announced him as king. Good to see he's at least into it, as he's a lot more reserved than his father. His daughters were adorable, especially the new Princess of Asturias who was very well behaved. Infanta Sofia was fidgeting a little. Still not sure what to think of the new queen. Nice that the whole assembled Cortes Generales paid their respects to Queen Sofia though, which was pretty nice.

And yes Dave, there were more than three people in the crowd watching. Nary a republican flag to be seen, though I bet they weren't allowed. I'm sure I'll be reading about their demonstrations soon.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

13. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    I like how the little girl on the left is already learning to show disdain and disgust for the people that were nice enough to turn out for this pageantry. Never too early start inculcating arbitrary social divisions and unjustified sense of superiority.

14. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006

What's wrong with the new queen?

15. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Nothing's wrong with her -- just know next to nothing about her. She's fashionable and used to be a reporter. Oh and people fussed because she's divorced and allegedly had an abortion. That's not much to go from. :p

Firstly, she holds a constitutional office -- unlike the Obama daughters you uncritically worship and decidedly unlike Michelle Obama, who exercises public functions despite holding no office whatsoever. In fact, she derives all her authority -- paid for by taxpayers -- on the basis of who she married. It's positively feudal. I await your excoriation of the Obamas.

Second, she's adorable so you leave her alone.

Third, she probably saw the World Cup score and is reacting accordingly.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

16. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    Yeah, but we elected her husband, he didn't inherit his station, unlike a certain monarchy in England.

17. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    Also, there is nothing "feudal" about Michelle Obama. When two people are married they are legally and practically the same person.

18. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Perhaps she has contempt for the commoners, seeing them simply things to ensure she leads a life of luxury and power, never to be given a thought that they are actually people.

Or maybe the sun is in her eyes.

19. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Elected her husband, yes. Not her. She derives all her authority by marriage. I have no philosophical objection -- but it's curious that your types don't.

That is not correct. At all.

Under that logic -- which does strike me as medieval -- I'm surprised you don't call her Mrs. Barack Obama.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

20. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    A husband should be proud to carry his wife's name and reputation, just as a wife should be proud to carry her husband's.

21. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    It's going to be interesting to see if the relations towards the monarchies are going to change now when there is a newer generation taking over in more and more countries in Europe. Didn't watch the ceremony, not enough fashion in such a ceremony, and there's work and football to concentrate on.

22. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Yeah, it wasn't nearly as grand as it could've been. I understand why, of course, but it was still disappointing.

But even a low key coronation featured more pomp and ceremonial than anything we see in the States, so I found it still worth watching.

Interestingly there are not only three new young monarchs (with Felipe VI) as the youngest, but three current female heiresses to thrones: the Crown Princess of Sweden, the Princess of Orange, and the Princess of Asturias. In the latter case, Princess Leonor marks the extinction of this branch of the House of Bourbon in direct agnatic descent from not merely Henri IV of France but Hugh Capet himself.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

23. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    And they're inferior, those elected individuals.

24. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    The new king went for a non-religious ceremony and stripped the last Francoist symbols from the House's shield. The Spanish right is so shocked and pissed right now...

25. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Which symbols were those, Dave?

It's kind of interesting -- the right that would normally be the monarchy's firmest supporters are kind of annoyed at him for modernizing, while the left (aside from the established party) would probably have never liked him to begin with. I wonder if this will end up becoming a problem for him.