main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

SOS - Luke Skywalker - Version 2.0

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Jedi Ben, Sep 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Well, since Genghis has locked the old one dueto it becoming too big of a monster thread, it falls to me to kick off the new one...

A bit of history first: Way back in Feb 2002 Skydancer decided she had enough of seeing Luke sidelined in NJO and posted the following:

--------------------------------------------------------

Date Posted: 2/10/02 6:22pm Subject: SOS - SON OF SKYWALKER : YOU (THE FANS) ARE MY ONLY HOPE!! SAVE ME... (Spoilers) - Date Edited: 9/11 10:50pm (2 edits total) Edited By: Genghis12
    Why oh why, has Luke Skywalker, the man who is star wars, and the hero of the Original Trilogy, been put so far into the background in the NJO that he wasn't even in the latest book's Dramatis personae? His character has been badly written in the NJO, his roles are small, and he has accomplished little. I don't think it is time to retire Luke Skywalker yet... let alone DEAD!!!

He is still much, much, much, younger than Yoda, Obi-Wan, or even Anakin Skywalker, and
    with so much more potential as compared to those three, why isn't he being portrayed to his fullest capability in the EU?

PLEASE HELP US with this thread to clamor, and shout to Del Rey and LFL to give this man better characterizations and larger, more useful roles. HELP US to make it known that he has fans out here who miss the Jedi Master and who are anxious to have the character we knew and loved brought back.
    HELP US SAVE THE LEADER OF THE NEW JEDI ORDER - THE FATHER OF THE NEW SON OF SKYWALKER - YOU ARE HIS ONLY HOPE!

G12: 10K - Time for the next round.

-----signature-----
    To LFL/DELREY: NJO = AU NOT STAR WARS!!!
    Hooray to all of you in SOS!!
    Keep up the good fight!!
    -----------------------------------------------------------------

Three and half years on, 400+ pages and 10000+ posts, well, threads are only allowed to get so big hence this...

So where are we? Well, it's been the usual roller-coaster of good stuff, bad stuff. We have an eclectic mix of views that involve all sorts of combinations: Dislike NJO, like DE & Bantam, Dislike NJO & dislike DE and bits of Bantam, love NJO but loathes Luke's handling of it - literally anything and everything where Luke is concerned in the EU...

The most recent post-ROTJ EU book has been The Joiner King, which I loathed for the sheer darkness of the world presented, despite quite good characterisation: the latter got enshadowed by the former for me. Others were more enthusiastic and welcoming of it, which is par for the course for this thread.

So, to another few years of fun discussion of Luke and another 10,000 posts!

All welcome!

Doubtless, my apprentice COW will be along shortly... :)

Jedi Ben

2. Jedi_Knight88

Jedi_Knight88 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 18, 2005
    Congratulations on the opening of the new version...I don't think I posted on the old one but I'll keep my eye on this one.

*pops bottle of Gizer ale*

3. quad_gun_jinn

quad_gun_jinn Jedi Master star 4

Dec 13, 2002
    I think i have to get in early on this one. Considering it could get to gigantic proportions as the other one. I'm really looking forward to seeing furthur development of Luke in the next two DN books. Judging by the cover of Swarm War, we might get what we've been longing. All powerful Luke.

*Grabs a bottle of Gizer Ale of Knight88*

Here's to this becoming as great a success as version 1.0

4. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002
    The fleet junkies over posted this one! [:D]

But do we need another SOS? Skwalker exhibited all the prowess and inventiveness 20 past books lacked. Allston wrote him in action too, an upcoming Legacy writer. And Karen knows action too. With Denning, at least, he's back in business. ;)

5. MariahJade2

MariahJade2 Former Fan Fiction Archive Editor star 5 VIP

Mar 18, 2001
    Wow, that was an unpleasant suprise till I saw this thread. It's both an accomplishment and sad that the original thread got locked for reaching that milestone. Thanks for starting a new one Ben. I am wondering if someone can add a link to the original thread in the first post for everyone? Once it sinks, it will get harder and harder to find if anyone wants to refer back to it.

6. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002

Not a problem; just type in SOS Skywaker or such in Literature's search field, or even notable names who only post in this thread, like COW and Dart.

I once wanted to find one of my Dark Journey diatribes, but didn't want to search my scores of history pages. I just typed in key names and phrases I remembered people saying, and found it relatively expediently.

7. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Well, due to time elapsed, I can't but here it is:

Old Thread

It was the one item I meant to put into the opening post and forgot!

Oh...And Ex...

"But do we need another SOS? Skwalker exhibited all the prowess and inventiveness 20 past books lacked. Allston wrote him in action too, an upcoming Legacy writer. And Karen knows action too. With Denning, at least, he's back in business."

While we all know you're ecstatic over TJK, don't fall into the trap of assuming 1 good book equals a trend. ;) I remain suspicious over the marketing of TSW, plenty has been said but what will actually get delivered? I'm of the mindset where DR is concerned that it is very similar to a joke involving Bill Gates and St Peter!

JB

LAJ edit - fixed link

8. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002

Estatic? You humble the word too low, Ben. Skywalker was performing so many stunts and feats and most of them on the fly in unexpected, hostile situations, it was like playing my first saber fight in Jedi Outcast: astonishment. :p

I'm actually cautious about Unseen Queen. The gradual intrigue and surprise finale was done so well for the first, I'm worried the next will have a cavalier, lighter feel to it. But we'll see.

9. Sith-Pirate

Sith-Pirate Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 16, 2001
    Well done JB!

I think it's safe to say that there will always be something to discuss regarding Luke in the eu.

10. Mat Skywalker

Mat Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2005
    wow, i was really hoping that the 1st version of the thread wouldn't lock out, but well i guess we'll have another 10,000 to post then. thanks JB for making version 2.0

11. Sith-Pirate

Sith-Pirate Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 16, 2001
    Skydancer from the original thread:

Like roguejedi, I am having computer problems too - my old pc died last week. The computer guy came down today and it looks like we need a new fan.

That's not bad. It only takes about 10 minutes to change the fan. Be cautious of overcharging. Ask the guy for a receipt. He's likely going to make a bigger deal out of the labor then it is. I've built about 30 PC's in the last 5 years, so I know what I'm talking about. If you need advise, just ask. I don't want money, I'd just be glad to help.

Masterskywalker86 from the original thread:

wait how did he not distingrate ? thanks for the info, but i think someone posted that he leviated the both of them down to the ground and Isolder's starship.

I think he bailed out, but I don't recall him doing anything to Isolder's ship. Also CoW's right, he was cross-legged while he was floating down.

Back when he was a young jedi knight, o the memories!! but that's exactly what i'm talking about, i mean luke actually hovering in midair not slowing his descent(pretty cool though), in SOTE he leviates in mediation, he hovers a couple of inches off the ground. ANH infinities he hovers around dagobah(with yoda being proud ) after staying for his training, JAT leia mentions that luke has leviate several times before. any intances of luke actually flying around besides the ones i mention SP?

The last I can remember is him hovering over lava in the JAT.

12. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Well, it looks like my link has gone AWOL!

What is it with that function? Oh well, if one of the mods will kindly insert a link to the old thread in my opening post that 1. Works and 2. Is visible, that'd be much appreciated.

As to the old thread getting locked, been expecting that for a while since we broke the 10,000 barrier, tends to be standard practice it seems. I suspect big threads perhap slow the boards down due to sheer size but I'm not a tech guy!

JB

13. Grand Admiral Wettengel

Grand Admiral Wettengel Jedi Youngling star 4

Jan 10, 2000
    http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=5698836]

There we go.

14. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I fixed your link, Jedi Ben. You need to put something between the ][ to make the link visible.

15. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Thanks Laj, although I was pretty certain I did put it in! Oh well, cheers,

Ben

16. ChildOfWinds

ChildOfWinds Chosen One star 6

Apr 7, 2001
    Oh, I'm SO disappointed that Genghis closed our SOS thread!
    :( Maybe some of our folks who haven't posted in a while won't even find it! :( Why do they need to close threads that go over 10,000 anyway? We weren't having difficulty posting. (At least, I wasn't having any problems.)

JB, thanks for starting this one. We all appreciate it. I must admit that I'm sad that Skydancer's original thread is gone though. :(

JB, I understand there will be a new X-wing comic book...Rogue Leader. I think Luke's going to be involved, but I don't know how much.

Skydancer
    Like roguejedi, I am having computer problems too - my old pc died last week.

I'm sorry to hear that, Skydancer! I hope it will be repaired soon.

MasterSkywalker86;
    well look at ESB where he force speed and jump at the same time. also in SOTE he saw things incredilbly slow and dogde blaster bolts

Hmmm... I didn't remember that.

Genghis12:
    Well, with hitting 10k we're about ready for a SOS v.2.0 thread.

Why do threads need to be restarted when they hit the 10,000 mark, Genghis? Does it slow up the server? I really wish we could keep Skydancer's original thread open! :(

Jedi Ben
    it falls to me to kick off the new one...
    A bit of history first: Way back in Feb 2002 Skydancer decided she had enough of seeing Luke sidelined in NJO and posted the following:

Thanks for including Stardancer's first post, JB.

Three and half years on, 400+ pages and 10000+ posts, well, threads are only allowed to get so big hence this...

Do you know why that is, Jedi Ben? Why can't big threads continue?

So, to another few years of fun discussion of Luke and another 10,000 posts! All welcome!

Nice new beginning, JB. Thanks! :)

Doubtless, my apprentice COW will be along shortly...

Apprentice, huh? What was it that Han said about delusions of grandeur, *Master* Ben! ;) But, you're right: I *am* here. LOL!

Jedi_Knight88
    Congratulations on the opening of the new version...I don't think I posted on the old one but I'll keep my eye on this one.

*pops bottle of Gizer ale*

Thanks, JK88! Feel free to participate anytime. We always enjoy having new posters....though I guess in THIS thread, we're ALL actually knew posters!

quad_gun_jinn
    I think i have to get in early on this one. Considering it could get to gigantic proportions as the other one.

Why don't you help us get this one to reach gigantic proportions!;)

I'm really looking forward to seeing furthur development of Luke in the next two DN books. Judging by the cover of Swarm War, we might get what we've been longing. All powerful Luke.

As long as we don't get DARK Luke, I'm with you! :)

I hope you'll keep posting in this new thread!

*Grabs a bottle of Gizer Ale of Knight88*
    Here's to this becoming as great a success as version 1.0

I'll join you in drinking to that! :)

Excellence
    The fleet junkies over posted this one!

Did Genghis make them start a new thread too?

But do we need another SOS? Skwalker exhibited all the prowess and inventiveness 20 past books lacked. Allston wrote him in action too, an upcoming Legacy writer. And Karen knows action too. With Denning, at least, he's back in business.

I think we definitely still need it! Allston wrote about that silly Nyax guy with all the lightsabers mind-manipulating him, and I'm concerned that Denning may be writing him as dark. I didn't like the way he made Luke look foolish by having him still not have the JEdi on the proper path, and still unsure about the role of the Jedi in the galaxy, and about the Force philosophy. By now, Luke should be portrayed as a wise, decisive, resourceful, powerful, DEFINITELY LIGHT Jedi leader and role model. I think a LOT of work still needs to be done before we can say Luke is being written well!

MariahJade2
    Wow, that was an unpleasant suprise till I saw t

17. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    AAAAhhhhh!!!! I got a bad case of computer slow down and i couldn't post my original long response. :_| I hope Skydancer fair's better and i'm glad that rogue jedi is over with her computer troubles.

Still it's cool that we have the thread running up again, but i can understand if we had to make a redux. Now i can be in the 1st page of SOS:) , well guys let's see if we can make 10,000 more responses again for the next years like JB said.

ChildofWinds

Thanks for posting some of Luke's accomplishments.

no problem,I was hoping that maybe the offical site or a book could list the things luke has done in the past in all forms of EU.

See, and I think that's the fault of the authors and the publishers. For some reason, they have this idea in their heads that Luke has been portrayed as too powerful, so they keep doing whatever they can to keep him from accomplishing what they consider to be "too much" or exhibiting too many Force powers.

yeah even in TaB, Tyers had to tone him down, at the time i could understand because he just became a jedi knight and it was right after ROTJ, but Bantam & Del-Rey kept the fad running long. I like what Kathy Tyers said when she first was interviewed about making the book(i had an old comic magazine that has the discussion), basically she said at this point luke is just starting out as a jedi knight so i can't have him moving/lifting/levitating star destroyers with the force so early in his jedi training. i'm glad though that Del-Rey is finally getting out of that trend and hopefully will have some books about luke as a jedi knight, they left a big gap between TaB and CoPL.

Lots of authors did that sort of thing, making him sick or injured or using ysalimiri or a stupid star or something else to prevent him from showcasing the tremendous Force talents he supposedly has. It's very frustrating to see this great character under-utilized and underpowered in so many books by so many authors. Gifts should be USED, not wasted.

i mean why not display his gift first off in a book, i mean we haven't seen luke unleashed like in DE and unveil his true power until TUF came out. I mean the man has the potential of the chosen one, why not have him use it ?

Hmmm... I didn't remember that.

watch ESB, he did it in the Bespin duel after he fell to the carbonite chamber. when vader said all too easy and was surprised that his son psych him out. in the SOTE comic luke dogde a couple of laser blasts. for the more powerful than a death star, well he has done tremendous things in the past and has destroyed the DS before he was a jedi knight.

Believe me, I REALLY hope you're right about that!

well luke i feel is at least aware of his instincts and right now they're not agreeing with the true way, but jacen on the other hand, there is something wrong with him, the whole thing about the chat with Akanah seems to foreshadow or hint that Jacen is growing darker.

Do you remember Rebirth? Luke and Mara were on the cover, yet they were hardly in it at all. They looked like they were involved in a huge hand-to-hand battle in Remnant, but that wasn't in the book at all.

is that the one where luke looks like he's 80 and hasn't shaved( when has he not ?)& has a bad comb-over and mara is pregnant yets looks ridicoulous(very bugged-eye)? well for the big 3 being on the covers you have to admit they have major roles to play in the story and action scenes as well. so i think they pick those covers to reflect on the importance of the 3. also don't judge a book on it's cover for TSW. personally myself i love the japanese covers.(maybe becuase they have the characters drawn right...for the most part;) ). ;)

Why couldn't Denning have given Luke and Mara another child instead, so Ben could have a sibling?

or at least a normal friend, no more gorog please.

Is that because you're moving soon?

well my house is on the market and we have people looking at the house, s

18. roguejedi589

roguejedi589 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 17, 2005
    It's a goooood thing to see that my favorite thread is far from dead...........20,000 guys! thanks Jedi Ben!

*Reaches into Knight88's cooler for an ice cold Gizer, pops it open, downs double of Whyren's Reserve Corellian Whiskey, chases with Gizer. Vows never to do that again*

And I know I've said it before, but I will say it again. The Jedi need to thank Luke for the chance to be Jedi. Until that happens, we need SOS. Wait!!! What am I saying?

*Feels effects of Whyren's Reserve - shudders*

[face_hypnotized]

THERE WILL ALWAYS BE A NEED FOR SOS 'CAUSE YOU GUYS ROCK!!!!!!!!!!!! [face_dancing]

19. Jedi_Knight88

Jedi_Knight88 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 18, 2005

Here- have a Randini Yellow Plague to top it off :)

20. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    COW,

Oh, I'm SO disappointed that Genghis closed our SOS thread!
    Maybe some of our folks who haven't posted in a while won't even find it! Why do they need to close threads that go over 10,000 anyway? We weren't having difficulty posting. (At least, I wasn't having any problems.)

* I think it's standard practice. Happens in the Senate too, then here in Lit are the Fleet Junkies threads, that bunch are on what? Their sixth or seventh thread now?

JB, I understand there will be a new X-wing comic book...Rogue Leader. I think Luke's going to be involved, but I don't know how much.

* I don't know, but I'll be buying a copy as the Rogue comics were some of the best of DHC's output.

Skydancer
    Like roguejedi, I am having computer problems too - my old pc died last week.

I'm sorry to hear that, Skydancer! I hope it will be repaired soon.

* Repaired or resurrected? ;)

Thanks for including Stardancer's first post, JB.

* Pretty muh had to really.

Do you know why that is, Jedi Ben? Why can't big threads continue?

* What I've thrown is is my best guess but no, I don't know the actual answer.

Apprentice, huh? What was it that Han said about delusions of grandeur, *Master* Ben! But, you're right: I *am* here. LOL!

* The funny thing is, I can lay claim to the title of Master! My academic background is in Philosophy, which I pusued formaly to Master of Arts level hence... :)

As long as we don't get DARK Luke, I'm with you!

* As I found Luke on TSW cover near unrecognisable I'm a bit sceptical we won't get that!

I think we definitely still need it! Allston wrote about that silly Nyax guy with all the lightsabers mind-manipulating him, and I'm concerned that Denning may be writing him as dark. I didn't like the way he made Luke look foolish by having him still not have the JEdi on the proper path, and still unsure about the role of the Jedi in the galaxy, and about the Force philosophy. By now, Luke should be portrayed as a wise, decisive, resourceful, powerful, DEFINITELY LIGHT Jedi leader and role model. I think a LOT of work still needs to be done before we can say Luke is being written well!

* This was what I had in mind in reply to Ex, namely if stunts were all I wanted to see then TJK succeeds but I wnt to see quite a bit more than just stunts.

I am wondering if someone can add a link to the original thread in the first post for everyone? Once it sinks, it will get harder and harder to find if anyone wants to refer back to it.

I agree. Can the link be put into the first post rather than into a later post? Could Genghis do it for us?

* LAJ_FETT has put it into my 2nd post, number 5, so it's reasonably easy to find. Still, could request it be transferred to the opener.

I agree. And not all of us were completely ecstatic about TJK either.

* Well, there's my reaction....

And *I'm* worried about Luke being portrayed as a darksider like his father.

* Oh, thanks, that's a nice image...

* OK, today I'm off to the Land of One Hundred Whiskies! Taking a break to Edinburgh, so will be dropping in whilst having a good time from Scotland inbetween scoffing shortbread and drinking Single Malts!

JB

21. Suzuki_Akira

Suzuki_Akira Jedi Master star 7

May 13, 2003
    Suzuki here for round two. TJK was getting closer to the mark, but it can still get better.

22. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    only a few more weeks till TUQ.

23. ChildOfWinds

ChildOfWinds Chosen One star 6

Apr 7, 2001
    MasterSkywalker86;
    AAAAhhhhh!!!! I got a bad case of computer slow down and i couldn't post my original long response.

Sorry about that, MS! That's frustrating and annoying!

Still it's cool that we have the thread running up again, but i can understand if we had to make a redux. Now i can be in the 1st page of SOS , well guys let's see if we can make 10,000 more responses again for the next years like JB said.

Yep! Keep posting so we can get to our second 10,000!

I'm still disappointed that we lost the other thread. :(

yeah even in TaB, Tyers had to tone him down, at the time i could understand because he just became a jedi knight and it was right after ROTJ, but Bantam & Del-Rey kept the fad running long.

Yes, they certainly did! Good point about it making sense in TaB because Luke was just a new knight then. But he should have grown in Force powers over the years.

I like what Kathy Tyers said when she first was interviewed about making the book(i had an old comic magazine that has the discussion), basically she said at this point luke is just starting out as a jedi knight so i can't have him moving/lifting/levitating star destroyers with the force so early in his jedi training.

Yes, she was right about that. Tyers is a Luke fan and it shows in her books.

Did you know that Kathy Tyers was once a first grade teacher?

i'm glad though that Del-Rey is finally getting out of that trend and hopefully will have some books about luke as a jedi knight,

Well, we HOPE Del Rey is getting out of that trend. They SAY they are going to show Luke more powerful, but until we actually see more evidence of this, we can't for sure that it will happen. AND, as I keep saying, I just hope they don't portray Luke as a powerful SITH LORD! :(

i mean why not display his gift first off in a book, i mean we haven't seen luke unleashed like in DE and unveil his true power until TUF came out. I mean the man has the potential of the chosen one, why not have him use it ?

That's what *I* want to know!

watch ESB, he did it in the Bespin duel after he fell to the carbonite chamber. when vader said all too easy and was surprised that his son psych him out.

Wasn't that sort of a Force jump?

in the SOTE comic luke dogde a couple of laser blasts.

Okay! That's good!

well luke i feel is at least aware of his instincts and right now they're not agreeing with the true way, but jacen on the other hand, there is something wrong with him, the whole thing about the chat with Akanah seems to foreshadow or hint that Jacen is growing darker.

I would put more stock in that if I didn't dislike and distrust Akanah so much! ;) She's not exactly a trustworthy soul herself!

well for the big 3 being on the covers you have to admit they have major roles to play in the story and action scenes as well. so i think they pick those covers to reflect on the importance of the 3.

Maybe they put the Big 3 on the covers because they think they'll sell more books with them than with some less well-known characters?

also don't judge a book on it's cover for TSW. personally myself i love the japanese covers.(maybe becuase they have the characters drawn right...for the most part ).

I like the Japanese covers better too.

or at least a normal friend, no more gorog please.

Right!

I would perfered if i take my first semester here and hopefully move and continue college to where ever i'm going. so if out for a bit that's the reason why.

I hope all goes as your family wants it to go!

I think i'll take your advice on CoPl, do u remember any other things luke does that are cool ?

Did I mention that he sort of heals himself with the help of all the life around him through the Force after nearly being killed?

hopefully i'll find it cheap in Barnes and Noble.

Do you have a Half Price Books near you? You might try there.

thanks for the info. is the story entertaini

24. Jedi_Liz

Jedi_Liz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 24, 2000
    just FYI - I believe that the reason threads are usually locked at 10,000 posts is due to database issues. Threads that get too large tend to cause problems eventually. That's why theads in places like the EUC are locked when they reach 10,000+ posts.

the best part of COPL was when Luke single handedly flies the Milennium Falcon.

25. Joser_Kyind

Joser_Kyind Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 10, 2005
    I like Luke. I know that doesn't really add much to the discussion, but I really wanted to say it. For the past year or so I've heard almost nothing but Luke-bashing from the people around me. I wanted to post on the first one, but by the time I was aware of it, it had gotten so big, and people were so deep into their conversations, that I was kind of intimidated. So, I guess this is a good thing. I look forward to being really involved with this thread. *looks around at every one sipping their Gizer ales and suddenly feels very thirsty*

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.