main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit SOS: Save Our Skywalker, Luke Skywalker (v4)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by JediMatteus, Sep 12, 2015.

1. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Mark Hamill reveals his rejected backstory for Luke in the Sequel Trilogy
    https://io9.gizmodo.com/mark-hamill-made-up-an-absurdly-grim-backstory-for-luke-1821009826/amp

AusStig likes this.
  2. ChildOfWinds

ChildOfWinds Chosen One star 6

Apr 7, 2001
    If Luke had to make up that story in order to understand how Luke felt in TLJ, I guess that’s confirmation that Luke isn’t Rey’s father, because losing Rey and her mother would likely make him feel the same way. :(

3. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013

No, not at all. Mark's story has nothing to do with the movie story at all. It's just a mental motivation to get himself into the right mindset. It has literally nothing to do with Luke's actual backstory, but is just a way for Mark to feel that darker, more depressed feeling he needs to act on Luke's current state.

Daneira likes this.
  4. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    To me it’s semantical, the supposed difference . Mark has to get in character as much a possible to employ good acting . But to me mutually inclusive not exclusive . The big three have a sad history and I think it’s a reality that I wish Disney would have thought twice about. Yes you don’t want these characters to live an unrealistic fairy tale . But I think the early eu balanced both well . I don’t see balance here. I hope I can be proven wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nobody145 and ChildOfWinds like this.
  5. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013

That has nothing to do with what I said. What I said was that it doesn't mean Rey isn't Luke's daughter.

JediMatteus likes this.
  6. JediMatteus

Sep 16, 2008
    True I was simply speaking to the idea that what Mark was doing to get in character is it something we can disregard as having nothing to do with the story

7. ChildOfWinds

Apr 7, 2001
    Yes, I understand that he was trying to get into the depressed feeling. My point was that if he were Rey’s father, it should have been easy for him to get that feeling by thinking of losing that daughter and her mother through thinking they were dead. He shouldn’t have needed to create his own story about a dead step kid if he thought his own daughter had died. The fact that he felt the need to create his own story of misery pretty much confirms to me that Rey isn’t his daughter, because otherwise he could have used her loss to get into that feeling .

JediMatteus likes this.
  8. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013

I think you're missing the point, because they're not the same thing. Maybe the thought of losing Rey doesn't work for him as well because he knows she comes back and so he can't think of it as sad, or something. He may have his reasons. Whatever works better for Hamill is what he needs to go with, but it has nothing to do with the story of the movie at all.

9. Jozgar

Jozgar Jedi Master star 3

Dec 20, 2015

I don't think you're being quite fair here. By all indications, everyone was happy until just a few years before TFA, when Kylo screwed everything up.

JediMatteus and Revanfan1 like this.
  10. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013

This. But I'm used to it at this point. People who dislike TFA for the Big Three's sake usually (greatly) exaggerate the bad stuff that happened to Luke in particular, but Han and Leia are not exempt to this (complaints about them having a terrible marriage or being terrible parents are common, despite neither being true).

11. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
  12. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    Not very long to wait now, eh. :)

JediMatteus likes this.
  13. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    You mean until the collapse of the boards into the flame wars to end them all? Yes, the apocalypse is in-bound.

ChildOfWinds likes this.
  14. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    lol, yeah no way these boards survive this.

15. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Hey, Luke speaks a few words in a trailer and the boards crash.

An entire film? They can't repel awesomeness of that magnitude.

ChildOfWinds and starfish like this.
  16. masterskywalker

masterskywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 2, 2001
    I'd like to ask, politely, that due to the upcoming deluge of spoilers if people could refrain from posting clear spoiler material without explicit tags. That includes hinting. An example.

"OMG! I couldn't believe that "

spoiler: LUKE DIES OF PNEUMONIA!

"Who will retrain the Jedi now? Was it all in vain?"

We, being nerds, will instantly be able to figure out who you are talking about, and commence with cabbage throwing and loud swearing in our domiciles. Thank you.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  17. JediMatteus

Sep 16, 2008
    Actually it’s possible all of us naysayers have no reason to complain after this film . Maybe the boards will be at peace !!

18. JediMatteus

Sep 16, 2008
    They did not stay together and Ben blames them for his upbringing . You can’t say it’s not true . Luke has nothing to show for the last 30 years . It’s your opinion not a fact !!

ChildOfWinds likes this.
  19. ChildOfWinds

Apr 7, 2001
    Well, if WE are happy about TLJ (and I am not expecting to be), there will still be an apocalypse, because the Reylo fans will be having the meltdowns instead of us.

masterskywalker and JediMatteus like this.
  20. masterskywalker

Nov 2, 2001

You mean other than the gratitude of the galaxy? A reputation akin to myth? Luke Skywalker is a galaxy folk hero. He's Robin Hood, Roland, Hercules, Hector. He saved trillions from death and oppression.

Contrast with Luke's devastated reputation in the old EU. Every two years his name was drug through the mud. Luke has the respect of the entire non-First Order galaxy. That's a BETTER change than the old EU. How could you possibly have a greater legacy?

He's the boogeyman to the First Order, who are hunting him ruthlessly.

He's a living saint, with a reputation so fantastic many mistake it for fiction.

Revanfan1 and Dawud786 like this.
  21. JediMatteus

Sep 16, 2008
    YeT it’s a rep that has nothing substantial behind it . At least in the eu he had hundreds of Jedi and was active , powerful , and compassionate with a wife and kid . I don’t think he was dragged through the kid in ei. He had a few low moments in early NJO but he was great in the end

22. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Beginning of FOTJ?

23. JediMatteus

Sep 16, 2008
    He was exiled by a stupid witch . So.. it didn’t change him and he saved the day anyway .

24. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
  25. masterskywalker

Nov 2, 2001

Because we have thirty years of blank time that is not getting filled in until the ST is done. I don't know how many other ways I can state it.