main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Space Battleship Yamato live action film ( spoilers )

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by Arawn_Fenn, Sep 22, 2011.

1. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    This film is the bomb. I do have certain issues with elements of the plot, but for the most part it appears they can be rationalized.

Yuki's characterization takes an unfortunate hit at the end when she seems unwilling to leave the ship. I mean, I get the suggestion that she doesn't want to live without Kodai by that point, but what about everyone left on Earth? I tend to see this dynamic as an unfortunate consequence of the film's having made Yuki into the "Cosmo Cleaner" while mashing up Yamato's season 1 plot with Farewell to Space Battleship Yamato and season 2.

Then there's the question of Dessler's eventual willingness to destroy the Earth in revenge. I can see him being into revenge, which was his motivation in season 2 anyway ( though the equivalent character was humanized much more in the anime ); however, aren't the remaining Gamilas still facing the destruction of their homeworld? Wouldn't continuation of the original plan regarding Earth be punishment enough? The film does state that most of the Gamilas intended as Earth colonists were killed, for whatever that's worth. Also, in the anime the Gamilas apparently had control of ( or access to ) other habitable worlds, so Earth may not have been their only option. Gamilas was eventually destroyed by the Dark Nebula Empire before it could die of its original ailment, and Dessler's group seemed content to wander in space for some time.

I found myself wondering why they didn't remove the thing that was blocking the Wave Motion Gun before they got back; in fact, at one point Kodai seemed to order the crew to try to do something about it. I can think of two possibilities as to why it was not removed. It might have been designed with the ability to fuse itself to the ship in some way which would make its removal difficult, dangerous or counterproductive, or the crew may simply have assumed that the Gamilas threat was largely neutralized when they made their return voyage, so that a working Wave Motion Gun may no longer have been needed.

Using the Yamato in a kamikaze attack to take out the Gamilas device is all well and good, but can't Dessler's fragment just deploy another one? Was that the only one they had? How long would it take to create another one? ( On a related point, I'd ask why there are no other Wave Motion Gun ships available to protect Earth by the time the Yamato comes back, but on this point the cirumstances of the ship's construction are relevant and the live-action film is consistent with the anime. )

2. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    I've seen the trailer for this and it looks awesome. I REALLY want to see it. Flying World War II battleships FTW.

3. Magellan_the_Cat

Magellan_the_Cat Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 21, 2003
    Loved seasons 1&2, though some of it was a little hokey--esp with translation changes.
    On the other hand, season 3:Bolar Wars was meh. Not only jarringly different voices in the dub, but characters completely rewritten.

As for the anime movies... Painfully boring. Not sure what they were thinking.

Will have to youtube to find the trailer for the live version.

4. Magellan_the_Cat

Magellan_the_Cat Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 21, 2003
    Well, I looked at the teasers and trailer.
    Maybe it is just the low-res of the files, but it looks like they followed the new BSG (with a touch of JJAbrams) school or filming, where nothing is on screen and in focus long enough to actually see, and lots of shakey-cam and glare.
    Am I the only one who misses the magesty and impact of the slow establishing shot followed by the weight of solid cannon build up and recoil?

5. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998

I am excited by this. Hopefully, we'll also see a Battleship Bismark one day, or at least to see the Yamato finish the job at Nanking.

6. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    I love this film so much I would marry it, if it were legal to do so in my state.

7. Nagai

Nagai Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 15, 2010
    I liked it.

How is the series different?

8. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    How is the series different? Um, the series that was made in the 1970s? The ANIMATED/Cartoon series that was made in the 1970s? Well, they took about 30 episodes to get to Iscandar, and another 7 or 8 to get back. Then there was a second series in which an empire based on a comet-style base was attacking, and they had to find another mystic space damsel to get important information on how to defeat them. And then there was the third series, in which the descendents of the Gamlons/Gammelons were fighting off another race called the Bolar, and Dessler/Deslock was back with a new supreme weapon that created Black Holes that lasted about a minute... And then there were the movies in which the captain returned from the dead, and another space empire attacked earth, conquered it, and the Yamato had to return to set Earth free...

So, how it the movie different from the series?

9. Nagai

Nagai Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 15, 2010
    Thanks.