main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Space chase/ Crait plan discussion thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by 3sm1r, Feb 1, 2018.

Tags:
  1. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Poe's behavior is not at all indicative of why she took the same exact approach with other members of the ship's major support staff as well as what few pilots were left at her disposal. Poe did not mutiny alone. There were a lot of confused, poorly led people willing to attempt a coup in order to save the Resistance from what they all perceived to be a garbage attempt at leadership.

2. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    I am not saying that she was the best example of leadership ever, of course she was not.

But this is the point the movie wants to make, to have you as audience feel the same as Poe, to question Holdo's leadership, to question her plan, only to then later show you that Poe and us (audience) were not giving her proper credit. She had a good plan.

The fact that there are people angry at her is, for me at least, proof that the movie managed to grab the audience there. There are people still mad at her, even after the movie. This is what they were going for, they really wanted to make us side with Poe, and it seems they did that very well.

I imagine my team hiding behind a wall while being shot with machine guns, and then a soldier comes to me and asks for the plan... all I would say is, "not now, no time for explaining, go back to your position and wait for your orders".

Last edited: Feb 19, 2018
  3. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Yes, her terrible leadership was very meta. It stopped being effective once the mind game she was playing with her subordinates in the midst of a crisis was revealed and she was not subsequently walked to the nearest airlock at gunpoint.

4. Ricardo Funes

Dec 18, 2015
    Ok, we all know she was the captain of her own ship, and that she was presented with an unexpected situation to lead the Raddus.

She was deep down below in the succession line for command. Leia, Ackbar, etc, etc, were in the bridge. We do not know how many levels she was below Leia in the chain of command, but we can be sure that at least Ackbar and Leia were above her.

How could the fact that she was presented with an unfamilar crew (in a day to day spaceship command and operational meaning), may have impacted her decisions?

Do you think she would have behaved the same with she was with her crew on the Ninka? I guess not, those were persons she has grown to trust and they would have trusted her much more than the crew on the Raddus.

The only shot we have from a crew member of her cruiser shows a person that seemed to be very loyal / respectful to her.

Also, considering that they did not know how they were tracked, what was on her mind about spies? That tracking was supposed to be impossible, so a spy giving their location was something to keep in mind. So why would her start trusting everyone with the plan?

Also, of course at least someone else in the bridge knew the plan, as they were loading the escape ships.

I don't see Holdo being guilty of anything evil, or not telling the plan just to play with the crew. I mean, how many people were inside the Raddus? Hundreds, at least, I forgot the exact number (they said in the movie).

Poe managed to get his closest friends, 5 or 6 if my memory serves me right, to help him with his riot. Out of a ship with hundreds, we see that 99% of the crew were professional enough to just wait for orders.

5. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    Great, she did not bother to familiarize herself with the crew at her disposal in order to gauge whether or not they were committed to the Resistance. That certainly explains why she did not notice that, thanks to the information vacuum she created, the defected Stormtrooper... with loads of useful intel... and who had just risked his life to help destroy SKB... was absent. Because the "leadership" he was subjected to led to his making the desperate decision to infiltrate the FO in hopes of saving the same people his "leadership" seemed to be leaving as sitting ducks with no hope of an actual plan.

Finn's mission led to the deaths of everyone aboard those small transports. And Finn would never have felt desperate enough to even be put into a position to meet DJ had he been under actual leadership.

6. Ricardo Funes

Dec 18, 2015
    I was not under the impression that Finn was shown in the movie as desperate to hear Holdo's plan. He came up with a plan, and told it to Poe who was the higher ranking officer he had access to.

I am sure that Finn would have told Holdo about his plan if he had access to her. Poe decided to not tell her, which was a poor move by him.

Also, Holdo did not know about the backstory of Finn, since she mentions " a stormtrooper and a who ?" when Poe finally tells her what they were doing.

7. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    Precisely. This great leader did not bother to familiarize herself with the assets available to her. Not even the one who possess the most inside information on her opponent and who also provided the intel to destroy the SKB. Great leader.

Jedi Jessy, Shadao and Glitterstimm like this.
  8. Ricardo Funes

Dec 18, 2015
    Well, that applies to Leia as well.

As soon as they were tracked, Leia should have asked Finn about that. And Finn should have presented himself to Leia with the information he had instead of trying to think only about protecting Rey.

Also, we do not know if someone has told about Finn to Holdo. Given her surprise about "a stormtrooper", it is reasonable to assume that was the first time someone told her about him.

In the end, we are just going over the mistakes the characters made, which were part of the plot, about making mistakes, learning from them, and making sure they do not repeat the same mistakes again.

Poe, in Crait, has shown that he learnt to be less reckless.

And to be fair, Leia did not tell Poe about the plan. She shot him instead. Why didn't Leia just enter the bridge, and tell Poe about the plan? Of course Holdo reported the plan to Leia.

Sarge and DarthHass like this.
  9. zackm

zackm Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 22, 2015
    You mean the one that deliberately withheld vital information from her and the rest of the Resistance? You're talking about that "asset"?

It legit makes me angry how little heat Poe is taking.

DarthHass and oncafar like this.
  10. oncafar

oncafar Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2017
    I really can't see blaming Holdo > Poe, if we are blaming.

It does feel like the Poe/Holdo dynamic wasn't thought out very well... I don't really know how else to see it. It's like someone couldn't figure out what the dynamic even was and decided to just go with whatever it became because there's no more time.

11. Ricardo Funes

Dec 18, 2015
    Their dynamic is what happens when two persons with strong personalities (and maybe too proud and stubborn) collide.

I can relate that to real life workplace, many many times.

So for me Poe vs Holdo was very realistic.

12. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    The only reason Poe's insubordination has an effect is due to Leia's sudden onset of incompetence in the beginning of the film.

13. oncafar

Jan 10, 2017
    I feel like they wanted some sort of gendered dynamic with conflict but couldn't decide on something more coherent?

It seems more like this is the case considering what Holdo's scenes would have been without the reshoots/cuts.

The idea that Holdo would be flirting with Poe and calling him Honey is just bizarre given the sort of situation they're in. And it's kind of like sexual harassment.

I feel like they wanted to comment on 80s office dynamics of something. It feels... outdated.

So if they were aiming for some fun new take on the Leia/Han ANH dynamic, it really didn't work.

La Calavera and Glitterstimm like this.
  14. Jedi Jessy

Jedi Jessy Force Ghost star 5

Feb 28, 2016
    When Leia met Finn, she said how brave he is (nothing like "you're just an ex-stormtrooper ew" Leia treated him with respect) and she talked to everybody about the plans of Starkiller Base
    [​IMG]

And in Rose FoD, Leia listened to Rose's ideas (the "who" to Holdo)
    [​IMG]

La Calavera and -LordSkywalker- like this.
  15. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    Really the entire plot-line feels thrown together (apparently Rian didn't want Poe to go with Finn because he "couldn't differentiate their personalities enough" or something, really Rian, really)? So this was the alternative. And wow does it NOT feel completely thought-out.

Really this conflict would have felt more natural if Leia were in Poe's position. And to make matter's worse, the movie kills off Ackbar in an incredibly lame/throwaway manner just to set up this mess, ugh.

16. Ricardo Funes

Dec 18, 2015
    Yes yes yes, this is the contrast the movie wants to make. The different leadership styles/experience between Leia and Holdo.

And it wants us to side with Poe.

If the movie managed to do everything it wanted to do, so much that we are still talking and comparing Holdo to Leia... then what is the point?

Yes it would have been better if Holdo had better communication skills. And yes, Leia was a better leader.

But this was the point all along!

Last edited: Feb 20, 2018
  17. oncafar

Jan 10, 2017
    I don't think Holdo even met Finn, and the story was set up that she didn't really know anything about him. Also I didn't think it was an "ew" tone.

Anyway, the whole thing is messed up because the Rebels/Resistance haven't been presented before as considering certain roles more "lowly" or something. The way Rose talks about Resistance heroes is just strange. I felt like they wanted to give Rose this "fan girl" aspect that didn't really make sense with her character, just as it doesn't make sense for there to be distinctions in the Resistance culture between the "heroes" and the "less important roles." It's just rather contrived.

Rose went from grief over her sister to fan-girling just all of a sudden and it was really weird.

18. DarthHass

DarthHass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2004
    I have to ask cuz maybe I'm missing something. I know Ackbar was a leader but why so much revere for him and anger over him being killed off. He survived Rotj but he was ready to retreat. Lando said they needed to give Han more time. And it was that poor a-wing pilot that crashed into the Executor's bridge that brought it down. I mean ---Ackbar was leading the fleet but what did he do that was so meritorious to warrant a bigger storyline or great send off? Or is that just nostalgia cuz we had Ackbar Kenner action figures and he was on the big screen when we were 4/5 years old?

19. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    It was a combination of Ackbar ordering a coordinated assault on the Executor and Arvel Crynyd piloting his damaged A-Wing into the bridge that brought it down. It was too much damage for it to take all at once.

Also, it would have been a fitting sendoff for the Admiral and would have given Holdo an opportunity to actually amount to something rather than be a stepping stone for Poe's development. So, that decision could have only been a good thing. There was nothing that would have been diminished by Ackbar taking Holdo's place.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2018
    Shadao, Sarge and -LordSkywalker- like this.
  20. oncafar

Jan 10, 2017
    An Ackbar/Holdo conflict would have been hilarious. If only THAT had happened.

godisawesome and Sarge like this.
  21. Jedi Jessy

Jedi Jessy Force Ghost star 5

Feb 28, 2016
    When Poe said Finn and Rose, she replied "the stormtrooper and a who?". If she doesn't know anything about Finn, how she knows Finn was a stormtrooper? It's like she knows who is both but prefer to called them "stormtrooper" and "a who", not their names.

Leia when she met Finn: That was incredibly brave what you did. Renouncing the First Order, saving this man's life.
    Finn: Thank you, ma'am. But a friend of mine was taken prisoner.
    Leia: Han told me about the girl. I'm sorry. [...] We're desperate for anything you can tell us. [...] And I will do everything I can to help... but first you need to tell us all you know.

Leia made everybody felt useful, Holdo made everybody felt confused, calling people "flyboy" or "who" and refusing to make her group feel like they aren't going to die

22. Ricardo Funes

Dec 18, 2015
    Raddus >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Ackbar.

23. oncafar

Jan 10, 2017
    I don't remember the Holdo dialogue. But it's also a very different scene. Finn and Rose are not there and Holdo is in a hurry. Her next line is that there is no time. And obviously she doesn't know very much about Finn still.

I agree that Holdo doesn't have great leadership skills.

Ricardo Funes and 3sm1r like this.
  24. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    It's not that he was killed off, it's the incredibly lame and throwaway manner in which he was killed. It was basically "oh yeah and Ackbar died" that's how Rian treated it. What an incredibly insulting way to treat a decades old popular character.

And the fact that it was done to set up this pink-haired incompetent and poorly-conceived "conflict" just makes it all the worse.

25. zackm

zackm Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 22, 2015
    Whats wrong with pink hair?