main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Space Skeleton Yuppies: The "They Live" Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by StarscreamPrime, Feb 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StarscreamPrime

StarscreamPrime Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 9, 2006
    I got the idea when a fellow member expressed confusion over a "Justice League" movie post, thinking it was about this 1988 (Or maybe 1987) John Carpenter movie. This kick-started a thought, as to see if anyone else was particularly fond of "They Live".

Personally, while the very latter portions of the movie were a bit silly, and the effects were downgraded torwards the conclusion of the film, it still remains one of my absolute favorite Carpenter movies. The first half of the movie is pretty interesting in concept, and somewhat creepy. I mean, just imagine that there's this whole subliminal suggestion cotton-balling our society so that these enterprising alien terriformers can just take over our planet, and do with it as they will. And the actual aliens, themselves... They manage to be humorous and disturbing at the same time. Plus, this movie might well serve as indication that professional wrestlers CAN act. (For his part, "Rowdy" Roddy Piper holds his own quite nicely at the male lead of the film, and we also get Meg Foster during her prime, with those electric eyes of hers!) So, gather, fellow humans, and don't forget your sunglasses!

... Or else I'll have to wrestle them on you in an alley fight. :D

2. SilSolo

SilSolo Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 5, 2004
    about time this thread appeared. And BTW, are you a Starscream fangirl? I like your username.

3. Darth_Berserker

Darth_Berserker Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 12, 2005
    they live was awesome, i espcially liekd the conclusion and how the satelite thing was destroyed so the humans could see the aliens and all thier messages and stuff, they should have made a second

4. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    [image=http://perso.orange.fr/reddragon/John%20Carpenter/11%20They%20Live/tlst04.jpg]

"I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubblegum."

This is one of my favorite Carpenter films and I love the fight between Nada and Frank. Best streetfight ever. So good that South Park did a good homage to it. Pipper and David both did a good job with their roles.

5. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, this movie is my favorite of his films. The alley brawl is classic (and the fact that it's over getting a guy to wear sunglasses makes it all that much greater, [face_laugh] ). And this being one of the two (alongside Army of Darkness) Duke Nuke'Em dialogue sources also makes it noteworthy. And yeah, Piper is quite good in this.

6. JediPrettyBoy

JediPrettyBoy Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 10, 2005
    I was actually surprised with Rowdy Roddy's acting in this. Even as a kid, when I first saw that he was going to be in this, I was worried, but when I finally saw the movie, I was actually impressed relative to my expectations. Interesting concept as well. For me, this may very well the last great film of the John Carpentar era. I can't remember liking much else that he has done after this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.