main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Space Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by dolphin, Sep 9, 2018.

1. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    Discuss your favorite space related topics.

Planets, brown dwarfs, quasars, stars, moons, SpaceX, the whole gamut!

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  2. dolphin

Nov 5, 1999
    @anakinfansince1983
    @PymParticles

Within a few years we’ll see people returning to space in usable/partially reusable rockets (NASA, SpaceX). Are you brave enough to hop on a ride one day? :)

3. Blobofat

Blobofat Chosen One star 8

Dec 15, 2000
    No, I'd go nuts I wouldn't trust myself in space. 10 mins in and I'd have smeared my face with manure from the eco-pod and be stalking the deck in a military tank top looking for people to manipulate out of the airlock.

4. AutumnLight91

AutumnLight91 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 17, 2018
    I like all the pictures we get from it. Looks awesome.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sarge likes this.
  5. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    Space: Amiright guys?!

6. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    [​IMG]

dolphin and Darth Guy like this.
  7. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Black holes have always fascinated me.

8. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    The only thing that concerns me is the minimum six-month time frame it would take just to get to Mars, and that’s when it’s closest to Earth.

I’m too claustrophobic to stay in a small craft for that long.

Solve that problem and hell yes, I’m there.

Iron_lord, Sarge and Jedi Knight Fett like this.
  9. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Just the fact that we've managed to detect planets in other solar systems delights me to no end. I never thought we would see any real evidence of extrasolar planets in my lifetime.

... then again, I never thought we'd return to the moon in my lifetime, and that prediction has been true so far. :_|

anakinfansince1983 and Sarge like this.
  10. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I never thought we'd see a car launched into space just for the heck of it in my lifetime, but there it is. :cool:

11. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    As the world’s most elaborate geek joke no less.....

:p

12. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
  13. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    Get me off this goddamn rock.

14. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    To be honest, I liked Elon Musk... before this summer. Now he's just having a Charlie-Sheen-level meltdown, it seems.

Chewgumma, Alpha-Red and Sarge like this.
  15. AutumnLight91

Jun 17, 2018
    Pluto is still a planet [face_plain]; change my mind

Darth Smurf and Sarge like this.
  16. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Any classification that would keep Pluto as a planet requires multiple so-called planetoids to be reclassified as planets, therefore still invalidating your nostalgic attachment to the nine planet structure and would ultimately leave you just as existentially unfulfilled. Pluto being or not being a planet is thus ultimately meaningless to your inevitable disappointment with the outcome, therefore we ought to prioritize the option with a smaller number of valid selections.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2018
  17. dolphin

Nov 5, 1999
    Me as well. What’s amazing is that Einstein’s ‘Miracle Year’ where he published four ageless papers predicted on paper the existence of black holes (others before Einstein also predicted it). Eventually we looked up in the sky and found them. Amazing that a stellar object could be predicted on paper first.

The movie Interstellar does a great job of showing the effects of a black hole on time. One of the revelations from Einstein is that time is not a man made concept but a ‘thing’. Something that can be warped, especially around a black hole. A person trapped in a black hole would appear to never reach it (even though they already fell in). From that persons perspective the outside world (billions of years) would flash by.

Another crazy thing about black holes is that singularities have infinite gravity and density. If you fall into a black hole you would never stop falling into an increasingly smaller hole, figuratively speaking.

18. AutumnLight91

Jun 17, 2018
    My very good mother just gave us nine ...

Nine what mind you? It's used to be nine pizzas but not anymore! They ruined it! You could say gave us nuggets, but nine pizzas would be better!
    [​IMG]

19. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Black holes sucking in stuff and crushing it into an infinitely dense singularity...that makes intuitive sense to me. But then I read some more, and there's this stuff about spin, Hawking radiation, "black holes have no hair", and black holes dissipating away over a long period of time...and then I just get lost and confused.

20. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    The gravitational pull of a black hole would make a fire hydrant melt upon itself. That makes black holes ****ing awesome right there. And not because I imagine people I don’t like being sucked in black holes and melting upon themselves.

Iron_lord and Jedi Knight Fett like this.
  21. Alpha-Red

Apr 25, 2004
    Well, I just wasted a nice chunk of time reading about Pluto, dwarf planets, the IAU definition of a planet, and how Mass Effect 1 was released before the reclassification, and Mass Effect 2 had to retcon that.

dolphin likes this.
  22. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    Astrophysicists need to recognize that from a cultural standpoint, Pluto is one of the 'classic' Nine Planets. Also, that the whole 'dwarf planet' category is a misnomer - I'll never consider Ceres, an asteroid, as any kind of planet, dwarf or otherwise.

Hawking radiation is fascinating, and is his claim to fame within the physics community; the idea is that there is always an energy density associated with spacetime, and that this causes particle-antiparticle pairs to constantly form and then meet again to convert back into energy. Hawking showed that near a black hole, the black hole would absorb the antiparticle, meaning that the particle would escape and the black hole would lose energy. The riddle that was only recently solved was the information paradox, because normally radiation tells you something of the object producing the radiation - but the unique nature of Hawking radiation meant that no information about the black hole was being revealed. Someone likened it to having a bag of Scrabble letters and always pulling out a "Q" no matter what actual letters were in the bag.

Dr. Robert Oppenheimer, the head of the atomic bomb project, had his big physics papers in the 30s laying out much of the early theoretical descriptions of black holes.

dolphin and Ghost like this.
  23. Alpha-Red

Apr 25, 2004
    If Hawking radiation worked like that, then doesn't it mean that all celestial bodies are "leaking" mass and gravity is being defied?

24. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    It requires an event horizon to work, which only a black hole possesses.

Alpha-Red likes this.
  25. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Pfft, it was discovered in the 1930s, that's not classic, that's the avant-garde.

Although apparently we're about to go through a new round of serious arguments about this regardless because there's disagreement with the precedent the IAU cited. Wheeee~.

26. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    Still within the classic period of astronomy.

Besides, as any HP Lovecraft fan knows, it's Yuggoth. The mi-go don't put their bases on any ****ing scrub 'dwarf planet'.