main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Special edition - worst and best changes

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Jo Lucas, Oct 6, 2015.

1. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    My take on the revised dialogue scene in Empire Strikes Back was that Vader knew, but was playing coy with Palpatine.

2. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    Not in the least.

It's Lucas' story and he can do what he wants. If he did another round of changes on 4K versions (or planned to) then they should conform to that.

3. Bob Effette

Bob Effette Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2015
    He can do what he wants, but the fact is that the movies are not a private project for him. He has put them out to the public for their consumption and that consumption has made him very, very wealthy.

Therefore the product he sells is not above criticism, and if the public feels that changes are detrimental, then they are at liberty to say so without indignant people snorting that these are his movies and we have to either like it or lump it. That is just ridiculous.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2019
    BlackRanger likes this.
  4. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    You quoted me, but that wasn't from my post. Someone else posted that.

christophero30 likes this.
  5. Bob Effette

Dec 20, 2015
    Apologies PCCViking, I don’t know how I have messed the quotes up there. For clarity, I was intending to reply to Qui-Riv-Brid

Last edited: Jul 26, 2019
    PCCViking and christophero30 like this.
  6. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Guess you'll have to make changes to it in 20 years.

Sarge, PCCViking and christophero30 like this.
  7. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Changes to the PT wouldn't bother me at all. It's not like I care about them.

christophero30 likes this.
  8. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    I do. I care. :luke:

Last edited: Jul 27, 2019
    Sith Lord 2015 and PCCViking like this.
  9. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Well then you are lost! :p

PCCViking and christophero30 like this.
  10. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011
    Well, as long as George Lucas has any say in the matter (and he appears to still have some), you do have to like or lump it. Because he doesn't care about your opinion. And he never cared about your money, ether. I'm sorry to inform you, but when you bought those VHS tapes all those years ago you were not, in fact, buying shares in Lucasfilm Ltd. And your presumed boycott of the Special Edition, DVD, and Blu-ray editions somehow also failed to catch his attention. He actually made an awful lot of money on those editions, if I recall correctly, so if anything it seems the great capitalist referendum was decided against you.

He has absolutely no obligations to you. Any insistence to the contrary is just you having an unjustified sense of entitlement.

You're of course welcome to keep complaining about about it as much as you want. I won't stop you. I, of course, respect everyone's right to express their opinions.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2019
  11. Bob Effette

Dec 20, 2015
    Gee, thanks George.

Wasn't that what this thread was about? The best and worst parts of the SE? You seem to have interpreted it as The best and worst parts of the critics of the SE.

I never made the claim that you have any obligation to me George, I just want you to know that we are going to complain about the changes in a thread dedicated to such matters on this forum. If that's okay with you that is?

Also, I have made no mention of a boycott, that is just something that you have made up on a baseless presumption.

12. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011
    Your right to express an opinion about my work has absolutely nothing to do with how wealthy I am as a result of public consumption of that work. So it just struck me as odd that you brought it up, unless you meant to imply that I somehow owe you something for making me wealthy. It's just kind of a non-sequitur otherwise.

That's a very specific argument I've heard made explicitly many times before by people on your side of the debate, so my sincere apologies if I mistakenly interpreted your otherwise inexplicable reference to my vast wealth as having anything at all to do with that variety of entitlement complex. My bad. I'm sorry.

Sinrebirth likes this.
  13. Bob Effette

Dec 20, 2015
    Apology accepted George, now run along.

14. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I am sure there are more constructive ways to express yourself, @Bob Effette, in light of an apology.

In-fact, I know there are.

There is similarly little need to call a user George. Stop it.

15. Bob Effette

Dec 20, 2015
    There are also more constructive ways to express yourself on a forum than standing at the sidelines without any apparent interest in contributing directly to the topic at hand, and instead just sniping at and trying to deconstruct and dismiss the opinions and posts of everybody who is.

Nate787 likes this.
  16. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    You are welcome to PM me if you wish to discuss what I have said, Bob.

17. Bob Effette

Dec 20, 2015
    That's okay, I'm happy to just stay on topic. Hopefully, without having to look over my shoulder with every contribution.

Nate787 and whostheBossk like this.
  18. Jediking97

Jediking97 Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 24, 2018
    Worst/disliked changes:
    CGI rock in front of R2 when he hides from the sand people
    Darth Vader's "No...Nooooo!"

These two I don't have to worry about because I don't have the 2011 Blu-REY but the 1997/2004 DVD release

Best/favorite changes:
    Extended Mos Eisley sequence
    Improved Battle of Yavin scenes
    Ian McDiarmid as The Emperor
    Improved Cloud City scenes
    Extended celebrations at the end of ROTJ
    Hayden Christensen as Anakin's ghost (Yes it doesn't make sense but I thought he shouldn't have appeared at all)

Most of the changes I don't really mind

Last edited: Aug 5, 2019
  19. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    Worst: Greedo shoots first

Best: Either the ANH Jabba scene (with the DVD CG, not the original SE CG version), or Ian McDiarmid in ESB.

...Can I mention CG Yoda in TPM here??

I also am a fan of the force ghost Anakin and Darth Vader's No.

*Ducks to avoid stones* [face_worried]

Last edited: Aug 9, 2019
    Jediking97 likes this.
  20. Jediking97

Jediking97 Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 24, 2018
    Wow someone actually likes Hayden Christensen ghost Anakin (no sarcasm)

21. Bob Effette

Dec 20, 2015
    There was an entire thread devoted to the pluses and minuses of Hayden as Anakin’s Force Ghost in ROTJ.

I still maintain that it was an absolutely terrible change, probably the worst one.

Jediking97, Sarge and Erkan12 like this.
  22. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    [face_laugh]

I hardly believe I'm the only one that likes it though...In fact, based on what I remember from that thread, it seemed pretty split down the middle.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2019
    KyleKartan and Bob Effette like this.
  23. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    I'm pretty old school but I liked Hayden in ROTJ, as it kind of bridged the OT and the PT.

DARTH_BELO, Bob Effette and Iron_lord like this.
  24. Erkan12

Erkan12 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    :eek: Never saw one before.

It's the worst by far imo. You see Sebastian in the movie talking with Luke, then a completely different dude smiling down to Luke... Not to mention disrespect to the actor Sebastian Shaw and his performance.

Sarge and Bob Effette like this.
  25. Bob Effette

Dec 20, 2015
    I think you're right, there were just as many people who liked it as didn't.

DARTH_BELO and christophero30 like this.