main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Special edition - worst and best changes

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Jo Lucas, Oct 6, 2015.

1. rpeugh

rpeugh Force Ghost star 4

Apr 10, 2002
    I believe that change occurred in 2004. I'm not sure what the reason was but I do think it serves to make the indoor scenes look better and more natural while the outdoor scenes do suffer a bit.

Apparently the color timing for the 4k versions has reverted back to pre 2004, and strangely it was approved by Lucas. I'm very anxious to see it. So far I am liking some of the shots I am seeing but not others. The outdoor scenes, particularly places like Hoth -that had received significant color timing changes in 2004 - look better and more natural, but a lot of the interiors of the Star Destroyers look odd - as if they were filmed on a set. Sorry but some of the 2004 color timing changes were better - they just were.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2020
  2. JeanNo

JeanNo Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 21, 2015
    Best change: Cloud City locations (those tasteful windows and views)
    Worst change: Greedo shooting Han

[​IMG]

Chancellor Yoda and Sarge like this.
  3. Jedi_Prophet77

Jedi_Prophet77 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 14, 2017
    Jabba looked terrific and worked so well in ROTJ, and I was horribly disappointed by the 1997 version. This improved in subsequent versions, but never as good as the physical puppet in '83.

4. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I liked the 97 version cuz I was 16 and Holy Hell, Han Solo is talking to Jabba the Hutt basically overrode by brain from the crummy character design. The eyes were wayyyyy too big, it's weird.

SlashMan likes this.
  5. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    I think the '97 SE were brilliant and expanded the visual experience greatly, from Mos Eisley to the attack on the Death Star for ANH, it loved it. TESB gives a similar experience but the Wampa loses some mystery but overall Cloud City now seems so much more. I'd have loved it if ROTJ SE had restored the lightsaber scene but I just can't see it working in the film as it is now, the sandstorm scene should've been restored, it would've give a good point at the end of it to cut to the Sarlaac and a smoldering gloved hand emerging from it.

6. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    Salacious Crumb?

7. Rogue Knight

Rogue Knight Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 4, 2020
    Han shooting first will ALWAYS be the worst change in my book.

sith_rhino likes this.
  8. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    I've already mentioned quite a few (Greedo shooting first, Jabba's band, and so on). But one of the worst has got to be Darth Vader saying no before he grabs Palpatine.

I'm sharing this here just because it ends with Vader being silent before he grabs Sidious as originally intended. Definitely more powerful.

sith_rhino and Emperor Ferus like this.
  9. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011
    Whenever I see a clip of the original version of that scene, it feels like something is missing. The "No" gives it more emotional impact. It feels weird without it now. Inert.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2020
  10. SateleNovelist11

Jan 10, 2015
    Some have said as much.

11. SateleNovelist11

Jan 10, 2015
  12. rpeugh

rpeugh Force Ghost star 4

Apr 10, 2002
    I used to hate that change so much that I actually considered boycotting the Blu ray set. But I am now somewhat forgiving of it after watching Rick Worley's 2 hour video on Star Wars. In his video Rick talks a lot about Lucas's rhyming using words over and over and he does a compilation of the words that get used over and over such as "destiny". He then takes all the times that a character has yelled "NO!!" and plays them almost all at the same time, including Vader's NO in ROTJ. And something about it felt so right and natural and very much like vintage SW. But Im still not ready to say I like the change.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2020
  13. Django Fett

Nov 7, 2012
    Then my Father is truly dead.

Did Vader need to say how Luke's words hurt him here or does the manner in which he turns away a looks out at the forest say a thousand words?
    [​IMG]

There are times when a look, a movement or a simple gesture speaks better than assuming the audience are not invested in the story to pick it up.

SlashMan and Sarge like this.
  14. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I feel that the 2004 DVDs actually had more color timing issues than the original versions-white palettes (like Hoth) had too much blue in them, and certain lightsaber effects were off (Vader's lightsaber in ESB sometimes is pink instead of red, the infamous green and red cross over the emperor in ROTJ). The blu ray versions fixed much of this-white scenes once again looked white, many lightsaber effects looked proper again-although there were still some issues.

I watched the supposed UHD versions Disney+ have, just to see what it looked like-and although blacks register deeper and certain colors are deeper and more vivid. Also the lightsaber coloring issues I mentioned above are ultimately fixed-no more pink lightsaber in ESB! However, the effects of the lightsabers look extremely fuzzy-not sharp and defined like the blu rays and other films. IMO it looks almost as if some guy redid the lightsaber effects himself in his mom's basement or something!

I probably won't bother with this new set until I've finally upgraded to a 4K TV and player. Probably not for a few years yet...

Last edited: Feb 6, 2020
  15. The_Phantom_Calamari

Nov 10, 2011
    Agreed, but I don't think the scene in question is one of those moments.

Lucas isn't assuming the audience isn't invested enough in the story. He just decided he likes the scene better that way. He wanted Vader's actions to be more passionate and spontaneous.

Nothing really wrong with the original version, of course. But there's always another way to do things. The original isn't always the best way.

16. Django Fett

Nov 7, 2012
    Not for me sorry, I think Vader's actions are spontaneous but the triggers were being put in place as early as TESB when he refuses to kill Luke with him at Vader's mercy. There's a narrative running through ROTJ, Palps questions Vader a few times so even he is suspicious of his true intentions, the build up is beautifully paced and then the action and now the yell breaks the spontaneity of the moment, tipping off the audience what is about to happen. I don't agree with GL, this wasn't needed and it seems for the majority of fans it isn't the better way, but in virtually every other addition I think it greatly improves the viewing experience.

17. The_Phantom_Calamari

Nov 10, 2011
    I don't see how the "No" does anything but communicate a spontaneity that in the original version was at best ambiguous, if not completely absent.

Without the "No," Vader's actions can just as easily be interpreted as those of a serene and purposeful man having come to a realization after an interval of thought--and in fact I think that is the more natural interpretation invited by the original version.

So I think the terms of the debate are not whether the "No" renders the moment less spontaneous--which I think is very clearly false--but whether or not you prefer a more deliberative Vader.

wobbits likes this.
  18. DARTH_BELO

Nov 25, 2003
    I liked the "No." I feel like it mirrored Anakin as we've seen him in the PT, and also hearing it makes it feel more like he is in conflict with his own thoughts-in a way his verbal reaction as he's fighting to break free of Darth Vader.

wobbits and The_Phantom_Calamari like this.
  19. The_Phantom_Calamari

Nov 10, 2011
    Exactly. It's his subconscious self asserting itself in defiance of his conscious self. It's the Anakin part of him erupting unbidden and spurring him to instinctive action. The point is it's not really a thought process or the result of internal deliberation. It's his compassionate instincts overpowering his mechanical mind and propelling him forward with an explosive energy stronger than that emanating from the Emperor.

The "No" makes all this significantly more manifest and makes for what I find to be a more powerful moment.

wobbits likes this.
  20. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    Lucasfilm somehow caved to fan outcry that Han was somehow wearing a vest when he was lowered into the carbon freezing chamber. Only problem is that it makes no sense and there wouldn't have even been a vest in the wardrobe for the film, not to mention accidentally putting it on for one scene that doesn't belong. Lucasfilm removed the imaginary vest, which was only a shadow, and the scene looks worse for it. To me this is as bad as "Greedo shot first" because it tries to correct an imaginary issue that didn't even exist in the film originally. But unlike the Greedo scene, which can be argued that it makes a statement about Han's character, this change adds nothing.

21. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Han shot first dammit

22. DARTH_BELO

Nov 25, 2003
    Language!

23. jaimestarr

jaimestarr Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 13, 2004
    I like the first "No." The 2nd is too much.

24. The_Phantom_Calamari

Nov 10, 2011
    As bad as Greedo shoots first? Because they lightened a sliver of Han's shoulders a bit? I can't find a problem with it even if I try.

[​IMG]

Looks fine to me. Don't know who'd even notice that.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2020
  25. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    No, but it's an unequivocally more pointless change. If it's such a minuscule change, why was it even made? That to me is the most harmful logic of changing something.