main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[Speculation] A Princess Leia Anthology

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by RX_Sith, Jan 22, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RX_Sith

RX_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 13, 2006
    With Princess Leia having an episode in Star Wars Rebels that showcased her efforts in the Rebellion, it makes me think that having a Princess Leia Anthology film would also be a great addition since she is also a main character and with Rey emerging as the lead in the new Star Wars films plus Felicity Jones in Rogue One, it seems that Disney wants to capitalize on female roles in Star Wars films.

2. Jonipoon

Jonipoon Jedi Master star 4

Apr 22, 2014
  3. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Ooh, petticoats. [face_love]

AmySolo and Bail B. Baobab like this.
  4. Poe loves Rey

Poe loves Rey Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 6, 2015
    NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO.

And NO!!!! Please God NOOO!!!!

Only 1 live action Leia, please. Ms. Carrie Fisher. NO ONE ELSE.

Maythe14thBeWithYou and Avnar like this.
  5. Rodie

Rodie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2014
    What about a Mon Mothma spin-off instead? We could follow her exploits between episodes 4-6... Throw in Madine and some Bothans...[face_dunno]

6. Jar Jar All The Way

Jar Jar All The Way Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 17, 2014
    The comic was kind of bleh for me and it didn't sell well either which leads me to think Disney won't try something like this. Leia is an awesome role model for women but I think Rey is who all the young women will be drawn to.

Sent from George Lucas' iPhone

7. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    I'm pondering which current actress would make for a good OT-era Leia, hmm?

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  8. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Leia would be a great character for a spy movie, I approve.

@ Jar Jar

That comic was awfully written, not Leia's fault.

cerealbox and JabbatheHumanBeing like this.
  9. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    I suppose I love Leia about as much as any other right-minded SW fan and it seems like there might still be some terrific stories to tell with the character.

So can anyone tell me why the idea leaves me empty?

I mean, Leia appearing in a new ensemble SW film? As in my dream of a live-action film (or even a CGI/animated ongoing series) which stars the Luke, Leia and Han characters and brings us their adventures in the post-ROTJ landscape? Sure. I'd love that!

But a Star Wars film centered on just the character of Leia, with Organa as protagonist? Meh.

Can't explain it one bit, but that was my honest reaction.

10. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    That's how I feel about an Obi-film, Trebor. I just don't see the appeal.

Dak Oolron and Sarge like this.
  11. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    Weird, right? As you know, Obi's the #1 Anthology on my list. :p

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  12. Jonipoon

Apr 22, 2014
    Obi-Wan goes on solo missions in both AOTC and ROTS (not to mention all the adventures from TCW), they were all highlights of the PT. Obi-Wan certainly has appeal!

Leia, on the other hand, what will she do? She's a princess and a fighter, but that's it. It would be like making a Padmé movie.

13. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Nah, didn't like it then. Also he is a emotionless hermit on Tatooine, not interesting to me.

You forget that she was an agent for the Rebellion, which is a very stressful occupation. She would need to juggle her responsibilities as senator as well as her secret rebel missions. All that is needed for a movie plot is an evil imperial conspiracy that she needs to stop while remaining undercover as to not endanger her family and Alderaan.

It would absolutely not be like a Padmé movie because Padmé only was a politician.

JabbatheHumanBeing and Sarge like this.
  14. Jonipoon

Apr 22, 2014
    Obi-Wan is one of the most popular SW characters, so I think you belong to a minority. Interesting fact: he's the only human character to appear in all 7 films.

Really? Have you seen TCW? Padmé is definitely NOT "only a politician" there. She is very much like a spy in many episodes, very similar to Leia. Besides, Padmé's thoughts on the current political situation is basically like the spark of the rebellion. Such mother, such daughter. They make fine TV episodes or comics, but as stand alone films - nope.

15. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    I don't hate Obi, but I don't find the time-period between ROTS and ANH interesting when it comes to Obi. Also there are not many opponents available that could pose a credible challenge.

I was talking about the movies. Yes they tried to involve Padmé in spy stories in TCW, but they were so-so, partly because Padmé is a horrible wreck of a character. I don't find these TCW stories examplary for how a Leia movie would look like. I am not talking about a fluffy TCW arc but rather a hardass spy thriller with lots of death and not knowing who is on your side or not. ANH Leia was a badass and I want to know how she became one because ANH was clearly not her first important mission.

16. Jonipoon

Apr 22, 2014
    I don't think anyone would assume that Obi-Wan never set his foot off Tatooine in 20 years. There's plenty of opponents: Sandpeople, bountyhunters, Maul, Ventress, not to mention Vader. When it comes to Vader, another meeting between ROTS and ANH is definitely possible, as per Vader's words "Obi-Wan once thought as you do...".

Movies? Well, she only has 1 spy mission in the entire OT and we barely see anything of it - and she even gets captured. She was a badass rebel and fighter in the movies though. Come on, you're standing at the brink of arguments here...

A Leia film is just as likely as Black Widow getting her own solo film.

17. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    I don't care to see Obi fight against underpowered opponents like sandpeople, bounty hunters, or Ventress. I don't want to see another fight against Maul, its played out by now and I definitely don't want to see him fight Vader for obvious reasons. "Obi's Tatooine adventure" > no thanks

I said that Padmé is just a politician and in the movies that's true.
    Leia was also an rebellion agent/spy + military leader as well as politician. That in my book makes her a prime candidate for a SW spy movie which is something I'm interested in, especially when it is coupled with fleshing out Leia's early years as well as imperial and rebel characters.

I don't care if you think it's unlikely because Hollywood = sexist, I can still hope it happens.

18. Jonipoon

Apr 22, 2014
    OK, but still its undoubtedly the most demanded spin-off film from fans at the moment. Ever since that fake leaked photo got out, people have been head over heels about it. It's not so much about what you want, but what the majority of fans want. Disney also seems to be wanting to have Ewan back into the SW universe.

TFA and Rogue one = both have female leads. It's not about being sexist, it's about basing a movie around a character that can stand on its own legs. That is also why I think the Boba Fett film is a terrible idea.

19. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    Padme was also something of a militant gung-ho Rambo character and military strategist & combatant TPM-AOTC( a few episodes on TCW). She was getting more phased out and regulated to behind the desk by ROTS and they seemed to lean her more towards political pacifism. Her characterization was a bit awkward in the movies. Even Naboo had a para-military planetary security force and she wanted military action against the Trade Federation to liberate the planet - she eventually went there herself to accomplish with the aid of the grand army of Gungans and Naboo resistance and what was left her own body guard and the two Jedi Knights who were reluctant and advised against action.

20. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    I can't speak about others. But yes, an Obi-film seems to be quite popular here. Despite that, Disney decided to make a movie about Han and the merc without a mouth first.

I don't get it. Han & Boba movie both have male leads so it's not as if current SW is imbalanced towards women leads. Also I think that Leia can stand on her own legs as a character. A spinoff could really delve into the reasons she decided to ditch her comfortable life and chose to fight for the rebellion.

21. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    TFA has WAY more male prominent characters than females ones as well, and RO has seemingly ONE female on the team.

22. Jonipoon

Apr 22, 2014
    I don't think it came as a surprise to anyone that Disney decided to make the first three anthology films about rebels, Han Solo and Boba Fett. It was kind of expected. But as for what's coming next, the odds for a Obi-Wan film seems pretty high.

23. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    I'm sure they want to make it work because Obi-Wan is a popular character and Ewan McGregor is probably not the most expensive actor. On the other hand the facts are that if you want to make a spinoff, only the time-period between ROTS seems realistic due to Ewan's age. And he happens to be a stoic hermit who dutifully watches a kid during that time-frame, occasionally protecting him from nuisances like Tusken Raiders.

If you compare that with all the adventures that Han, Boba and yes Leia must be having, it doesn't seem very exciting.

24. StarWarsFreak93

StarWarsFreak93 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2015
    No thank you. Leia in ANH is 19, and 19 year old Leia is Carre Fisher. She wouldn't look that much different at a younger age, and that wouldn't be very appealing for a spin off. I loved her appearance in Rebels, it worked very well, but an anthology film would be too much, and really wouldn't do well without Carrie' portraying her. Unless it's an anthology film between VI and VII and have Fisher back. The Han Solo film can sort of get away with this, since Han in ANH is more or less 30 years old, so getting a younger actor to portray him during his early 20s could kind of fit in continuity wise. Still, I think if the actor is too old for the character, don't do an anthology film of them. Leave them to appear in animation, like Lando and Leia. Now an anthology film with Ewan or Hayden or Natalie would work since the actors looked like they hardly aged and a little makeup could make them look the age they should be.

25. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    After seeing her in Rebels, it made me realize there's a lot they can do with her character. As long as it takes place before ANH (to avoid recasting inconsitencies) it could be great!

cerealbox and Darth_Pevra like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.