main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One [Speculation] Han Solo in Rogue One

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by Jonipoon, Jan 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jonipoon

Jonipoon Jedi Master star 4

Apr 22, 2014
    http://variety.com/2016/film/news/star-wars-han-solo-spinoff-actors-1201675519/

So according to above, it seems like Disney/Lucasfilm wants to include Han Solo in a cameo role in Rogue One before appearing in his own standalone movie. It would be very similar to how Spider-Man will appear in Captain America: Civil War before the new Spider-Man film comes out next year.

I feel it kind of makes sense, taken how controversial the whole casting of a new Han Solo actually is. To have the new actor portray Han Solo in a quick cameo role would obviously give audiences just enough time to accept the new casting before the standalone movie hits the big screen in 2018.

The question remains though... what do you think his role will be in Rogue One? And how big will it be?

Personally, I'd be fine with a quick cameo. I don't want them to overuse the character, especially since it feels like too much illogical fan service if Han Solo just happens to be involved in all major events of the galaxy... So nah, just have him appear in the background. Maybe just have one of the main characters (like Felicity Jones) accidently bump into him in a cantina or something, with Han Solo replying "Hey, Watch it kid".

whostheBossk likes this.
  2. ColdLazarou

ColdLazarou Jedi Grand Master star 2

Sep 8, 2001
    Hang on, though - doesn't Rogue One come immediately before ANH, chronologically speaking? I've been working on the assumption that the Young Solo movie would be set at least ten years earliuer, so i can't quite work out how this could work.

Han at the time of R1 would be exactly as he is in ANH. I can't wrap my head around this idea at all.

3. Jonipoon

Apr 22, 2014
    You're right, but with makeup they could make any 25 year old look like a 35 year old.

smudger9 likes this.
  4. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    For me, it goes beyond aging an actor to look 35. As was already mentioned, by the time Rogue One takes place, that is clearly in Ford's territory for the role (right before ANH). It'll be quite jarring to see two different actors portraying the same character within the same general timeframe. I just don't see how that could work. Honestly, I think it would be a mistake to include him. Then again, I think it's a mistake to even be making a Han Solo spin-off in the first place, but hey...

5. MidKnighT

MidKnighT Force Ghost star 4

May 23, 2005

Agreed. There was such an age difference between PT Obi-Wan and ANH Obi-Wan that they mostly pulled it off.

I don't think it can be done with Solo.

Instead of a Solo spinoff they should have done a Boba Fett spinoff or something. He wears a mask so it would be easier to pull off.

And if Darth Vader doesn't appear in Rogue One, I'll be disappointed.

HanSolo29 and Dewback like this.
  6. Dewback

Dewback Force Ghost star 4

Jul 18, 1998
    I am the eternal optimist when it comes to the handling of the saga films, but a lot of the news surrounding these spinoffs has me a bit worried (particularly stories involving Han). It wouldn't make sense to shoehorn him into this movie unless it was a CGI/de-aged Harrison or something. We know what Han Solo looked like in his 30s...He looked like Harrison Ford! I used to think that a Han Solo movie could work if they cast an actor who was young enough, but most of the guys mentioned yesterday are in their late 20s and 30s. I was skeptical of casting a new actor to play a young Han, but I'm really not interested in recasting the Han we already know.

Sarge and HanSolo29 like this.
  7. jedi_jra

jedi_jra Jedi Master star 1

Feb 2, 2011
    This rumor alone makes me believe it could be Anthony Ingruber. THIS close to ANH, the actor MUST look like Harrison Ford in 1977.

Introduce him in a small role, get people talking about how impossible it is that they found an actor who could look like Harrison Ford.. Let them speculate that he MUST be CGI like many comments I heard after 'Age of Adeline’. When they realize that he is a real actor, they will eagerly anticipate the new Han Solo movie. BOOM! New Han Solo is born.

8. Rodie

Rodie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2014

I'm guessing that Rogue One takes place over a couple of years, or there are flashback and montages in the movie (for instance to show the construction of the Death Star and more of the origins of the Rebel Alliance becoming militarized), so it spans a greater length of time than the typical SW episodic saga film. It would likely be in the "older" or flashback part of Rogue One that a young Han Solo would briefly appear. They're not going to have a non-Ford Han Solo appearing in what is a few days before we see the character on the Mos Eisley Cantina.

9. Jedi_Lantern

Jedi_Lantern Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 3, 2013
    Yeah, I don't want this movie at all. I think there's a reason Lucas knew not to do little-kid Han in the prequels.

Poe loves Rey likes this.
  10. Dewback

Dewback Force Ghost star 4

Jul 18, 1998
    So a 36-year-old Han instead of a 38-year-old Han? Even if a 30-year-old Han appeared in Rogue One (unlikely) it wouldn't be convincing.

11. littlewaves

littlewaves Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2008
    I think he must be out of the running. He's really not featured in any rumours from mainstream sources. It's all just been fan chatter so far. I can only assume they considered him but decided against him for some reason.

12. Jonipoon

Apr 22, 2014
    I guess Han Solo's role in Rogue One may be bigger than expected.

If it's a cameo appearance with just one or two lines, it makes no sense to haste with the casting. They could easily make a de-aged Harrison through CGI - especially if there are no close-ups. It will look 100 % authentic.

So since they're rushing with the casting in order for the actor to film scenes for Rogue One - perhaps it's a bigger role after all. :( Oh crap.

13. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    If true - So not needed...

14. Jonipoon

Apr 22, 2014
    A quick cameo in the background that is not vital to the plot at all is definitely a big OK.

A role that's vital to the plot in one way or another, I agree with you - so not needed.

15. DarthTino

DarthTino Jedi Youngling

Jan 4, 2016
    i don't know if i am the only one here,but i am not excited about the Han Solo film at all.I actually think it's pretty stupid idea.For me Han Solo will always be Harrison Ford and he played him to perfection.So this is one of the few roles,that i think the new actor,who will play him,will always be in the shadow of Harrison Ford.I saw all the actors who the directors are considering for the role and i am thinking "oh my god".I much prefer to have spin off movies about either unknown characters,or supporting characters from the main saga that we don't know very well,like Boba Fett,Yoda,Lando etc

ViktorShade, Dewback, 11-4D and 2 others like this.
  16. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Ehh...I wouldn't count him out just yet. Anthony Breznican of Entertainment Weekly hinted that there was more to the 'shortlist' than was revealed in that article and that there are more actors up for the role that were not listed. In fact, he hinted that the ones listed specifically in the article may have less of a chance of landing the role than those who are still a mystery to us.

But even with that information in mind, I'm still unsure about an appearance in Rogue One. I just don't see how that would make an inkling of sense.

Hitchhiking-Ghost likes this.
  17. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    I'd prefer not. Give him his own spinoff, fine (Lord/Miller and Kasdan are working on it, which is exciting to me). But we don't need to see him here. There are many other cameos that would make more sense.

18. Millennium Falcon 888

Millennium Falcon 888 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 6, 2016
    Hmm, a very short cameo by Han Solo should be good enough... After all, wasn't I seen in one scene in "Revenge of the Sith"? So it should be fitting to have me and my late pilot doing a quick catch-up with the heroes in Rogue One!

And just for your reference, here's the scene in Episode 3 where the Milli Falcon appeared in...[​IMG]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

19. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    NOOOOOOOO

Mine as well bring in Luke...

20. SWITS

SWITS Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 7, 2015
    Yeah, It kinda doesn't make sense to have Han Solo in Rogue One if that Han Solo movie is supposed to take place 10 years or so earlier than the events of Rogue One.
    Unless ofcourse they could use Anthony Ingruber to play Han Solo in the Rogue One cameo. He looks pretty much exactly like Harrison Ford did in A New Hope.
    And so, they might go with a different actor to play the younger Han Solo in the Anthology film. Just a guess. I don't know.

21. LANDO_ROCKS

LANDO_ROCKS Force Ghost star 5

Nov 28, 2002
    Remember when we meet Han in ANH he's being pursued by Jabba and his bounty hunters over dropping cargo at the first sight of Imperials.

It seems to me like it happened recently, Rogue One is supposedly set just before ANH, that means it could be tied in that way?

Maybe a short scene at the end of Rogue One, something like -

The Imperials have failed to prevent the Death Star plans from falling into the hands of the Rogue One crew and the Rebellion after a daring raid on their base.

Lead by Darth Vader, they board and search ships furiously searching for the lost plans in the outer rim. We see an Imperial officer report to Vader on the bridge of his Star Destroyer "Sir, there's a Correlian YT 1300 Freighter on our scanners, should we intercept it?", "Ready a boarding team Admiral" Vader replies.

Cut to a close up of a communications monitor, an Imperial General's image appears "Correlian Freighter, prepare to be boarded under authority of the Empire, comply or be fired upon", cut to Han and Chewie who look at each other in panic "Jabba will have our heads if we drop his weapons!" *chewie mumbles something* "You're right, deal with the mess at your doorstep and leave the rest for another day!" Han points to some controls to the right of Chewie "Get ready to dump storage bay 6, the first shot'll hit Jabba's stuff and give us enough time to make the jump to hyperspace".

You get the picture.

22. Jonipoon

Apr 22, 2014
    That sounds like the perfect mid-credits scene.

23. JediLight

JediLight Force Ghost star 4

May 31, 2001
    Yeah leave that era to Harrison Ford only. I don't like the Han Solo spin-off idea, but I trust Kasdan.

Dewback and HanSolo29 like this.
  24. Black Leader

Black Leader Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 4, 2016

another thing I've learnt today. Waht's the timing of this scene in the film ?

25. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    +10000

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.