main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One [Speculation] Is Jyn Rey's Mom?

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by TheReal_Rebel, Apr 9, 2016.

1. TheReal_Rebel

TheReal_Rebel Jedi Master star 3

Sep 17, 2015
    Someone had to ask.

Pro: Courascanti accent
    Rey's coloring
    Jyn encounters masters of using a staff as a weapon
    Jyn is a contemporary of Luke, though moustach guy might be Dad,
    Jyn takes on the mission for Death Star plans but rumor has it she on another mission too, will be looking for her Dad ( Mad's Mikkleson)
    That's it for now.

Let the games begin!

2. Elle-Wan

Elle-Wan Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jul 11, 2004
    I've thought this was the case since I first saw Felicity Jones was cast in the lead role. The thing that convinces me the most is that Disney is using a more diverse cast in the new movies to be inclusive. Non-white and female characters are getting a lot more visibility. However, Disney immediately cast the main character for the movie released 1 year after TFA with a girl (Felicity Jones) who would match the on-paper description of Daisy Ridley perfectly? Light-skinned, brown-eyed, brunette, british girl?

If they were creating an unattached character from scratch, it could have been an asian or indian or arab or african girl. It could have been a red-headed austrailian, but nope. It was another one right in the same mold of: Daisy Ridley, Natalie Portman, Carrie Fisher.

TDR14, D'an, arjank and 1 other person like this.
  3. TheReal_Rebel

Sep 17, 2015
    Thought this, too!

Some think the cloaked figure in black kneeling with Emperor's guards in BG is Jyn's father and he maybe a Sith in training or pretending to be one.

Which would parallel Luke.

4. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    I really hope not , it'd be good to have a story that is more about the other people that fought the war aside from the Skywalkers / Jedis .

5. weezer

weezer Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 16, 2001
    Jyn's father is rumored to be the architect OT the death star. Not any kind of sith.

Darth Smurf likes this.
  6. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    According to the newcanon ROTJ novel, Jerjerrod was basically the architect of both Death Stars. Though others may have contributed to the design.

7. weezer

May 16, 2001
    Architect, engineer, whatever, that's the rumor.

8. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    I very much doubt it.

9. gezvader28

Mar 22, 2003
    what's that ^? was the ROJ novel re-written ?

10. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012

This is the novel:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Return_of_the_Jedi:_Beware_the_Power_of_the_Dark_Side!

There was another one a few years ago by Ryder Windham - but this is the first one specifically after the Legends announcement and part of the "newcanon" universe.

11. TheReal_Rebel

Sep 17, 2015
    We know he's a a DS architect or scientist.

But there are rumors he's trying to worm his way back into Palpatine's good graces. As far as I know he's not force sensitive, but maybe he's playing at some sort of DS acolyte.

Specifically, I believe he's the scientist who came up with the Ray that is emitted to destroy worlds-- parallel Oppenheimer leader of A-Bomb project.

Manhattan project in US

I'm gonna ask Pablo Hildago about this.

12. weezer

May 16, 2001
    Eh, each his own. I'm going to take solid rumors from sites with proven records over mindless speculation on a one second scene from a teaser, but that's just how I roll.

13. gezvader28

Mar 22, 2003
    blimey , I didn't even know about all this , how do people untangle the old canon from newcanon and all the abandoned (?) EU ? don't worry thats more of a rhetorical question .

TheReal_Rebel and Iron_lord like this.
  14. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    So far it would appear that at least some of the EU keeps getting used - character names, ship names, snippets of backstory - much to the annoyance of people who want "G-canon only" to carry forward.

15. Rou-eru

Rou-eru Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 8, 2013
    I think it's very possible.

TheReal_Rebel likes this.
  16. TheReal_Rebel

Sep 17, 2015
    Yeah, EU is getting re-purposed ala Kylo/Jacen

Had to raise question about Rey, 'cuz it seems possible. Based on Jyn's looks and knowledge of staff fighting Rey has and compatriots Jyn has in Rogue One

Jyn is not a force user but she is in the vicinity of one.

17. AniLukeRey

AniLukeRey Jedi Padawan star 1

Feb 6, 2016
    I think she could be the mom...I am really leaning towards that theory.

18. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    I hope not, and KK's comments would seem to suggest against it. And all of the supposed "similarities" are superficial at best. It'd just feel really contrived and last (and the fact that she'd still probably be dead in the ST and thus not apart of her daughter's life just would annoy me).

KSennia likes this.
  19. Blueandwhite

Blueandwhite Jedi Grand Master star 2

May 25, 2005
    I hope that none of the Rogue One characters are related to anyone in the main series. The family ties thing should only go so far. I would rather see characters stand on their own merit. Nobody cares who Han Solo's parents are because he's cool enough on his own. Let the cast of Rogue One do their thing and if the movie is awesome maybe they can help a bunch of Bothans steal the Death Star II plans in a sequel.

KSennia likes this.
  20. Elle-Wan

Jul 11, 2004

I agree with this in principle. I can't stand all the linking ideas (Fin is Mace's son, etc). They're sophomoric and not creative at all. A new character should be written to be interesting in its own right and not need to be linked to some famous lineage to be important.

That said, there are several reasons why I'm ok with Jyn + Luke = Rey.
    • Rey obviously does have parents, and they are obviously significant just by virtue of her story of being mysteriously abandoned as a child.
    • Although Force-sensitivity appears to occur randomly sometimes, it has also been demonstrated to be hereditary (which brings about the theories that she's the offspring of Luke or, far less likely, Leia,)
    • If Luke is Rey's father, Rey's mother is currently unknown, must be very special (to have been the romantic partner of the last Jedi), and is of significant interest to fans.
    • The timing of Rogue One, between Ep.7 and 8 seems odd, in that it's a place in the grand story arc that doesn't really flow with the current point in the main story, unless...
    • In telling us about Jyn, it's telling us something important about Rey and Luke that will impact how we see them in Ep.8 and 9.
    • Also, assuming Jyn is meant to be about 25 in RO, so that'd make Luke about 25 post ROTJ and Jyn about 29. ...perfect age match to pair them and to have a child Rey's age.
    • Assuming this is true, Luke and Jyn are two heroes of the Rebellion, orphans of some sort, and pilots. And Jyn even resembles Luke's mother. ...plenty of things to draw them to each other.

arjank likes this.
  21. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014

-True, but that doesn't point to Jyn specifically.

-We have no evidence that Jyn is FS at all. If Luke is her father, then she might have very well gotten it from him and him alone.

-Again, doesn't point to Jyn (who doesn't seem inherently "special" from what we've seen so far. That's kind of the point of this film, the "ordinary grunts" needing to do things without the Jedi being around to come to aid them).

-Not really. TFA had a lot of OT, and especially ANH, homage/nods/callbacks. So the placing of this film seems to make sense to me. Also by that standard, holding off on dooing the Han Solo film until post-Episode VIII makes no sense (doing it immediately post-TFA so that you can see his early days after just having scene his final ones, would make more sense).

-Except it doesn't, if she's dead/out of the picture in the ST. It tells us "hey this cool character, well she's no longer around to be a part of her daughter's life and is dead to further her husband's man pain). Sounds like a waste to me actually, and SW has an annoying habit of doing that to it's mother figures (at least in the films).

-We don't know how old Jyn is meant to be (Felicity is in her 30's and the OT and TFA tended to cast actors to play characters around their own ages).

-Those similarities are purely superficial/surface level.

So it'd just feels like crowbarring in a "connection" because you couldn't think of anything else. It's not clever, it's lazy and predictable.

22. weezer

May 16, 2001
    They had to put the anthology films somewhere. Waiting for the saga films to end leaves millions on the table and severely sets back the universe building that Disney is going for. It had looked like they were going to start copying their Marvel formula and move to a six month rotation on them. Saga movies in May, anthology movies in December. So maybe that would have reinforced the separation.

23. Baron_Papanerd

Baron_Papanerd Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2014

She definitely could be. I am still not totally sold on Rey being Luke's daughter to begin with; but if she is, then Jyn would make a convincing candidate. Luke wasn't seen in a relationship with anybody in the OT; but assuming Jyn survives Rogue One, there is no reason why Luke and Jyn couldn't have gotten close right after ROTJ. :)

I don't know why people get upset with others theories about Character Relationships. It is more fun to speculate about a new Characters possible connections to a well known Character, than it is to just assume that all new Characters are just random. Having fun with Character/Story speculation is what Fan Site Message Boards are for. If we don't speculate, then we might as well not come here; and just wait until the movies come out. I say keep on speculating. ;)

cathiecat, arjank and SunStar like this.
  24. Elle-Wan

Jul 11, 2004

• Correct. It doesn't. But it suggests her lineage is significant. She could have been an orphan who remembers exactly who her parents were and knows they are long dead. ...but there's a mystery on purpose.
    • I don't mean special to mean Jyn has the Force. ...that point was to the probability that Rey is Luke's child.
    • By being special I don't mean Force sensitive or part of a prophecy. I mean uniquely smart, plucky, tenacious such that she would be special to Luke (considering his status as the last Jedi and Rebellion hero).
    • You can say the timing has no significance, maybe it doesn't, but the RO plot based on 'many bothans died to bring us these plans' is pretty thin on the surface and did not *need* telling. I think there's something more here.
    • Felicity is 32. Even if she's playing her exact age the timing still works. It just makes her ~10 years older than Luke.
    Let's revisit this in December and see if all of this speculation was stupid or not. :)

25. Jango_Fett21

Jango_Fett21 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2002
    Not to be "that guy", but the "many Bothans died to bring us this information" thing is from Return of the Jedi and applies to the SECOND Death Star, not the FIRST.

I could see them making Jyn Rey's mother, but not in conjunction with Luke being the father.