main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One [Speculation] Is Jyn Rey's Mom?

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by TheReal_Rebel, Apr 9, 2016.

1. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    Yeah they would just, deflect and evade the question. Lying about it flat-out almost never works out well (see Chris Nolan and Marion Cotillard lying about Talia al Gul being in The Dark Knight Rises or JJ and co lying about Khan in STID).

Jedi Jessy likes this.
  2. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015
    Especially so stridently. There's only one reason why Daisy would go out of her way to stress that Jyn is not her mom: because she isn't.

3. Jango_Fett21

Jango_Fett21 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2002
    If you don't want to answer a question, you avoid answering it by obfuscating, saying "no comment", or giving an answer that isn't really an answer... none of which are things that the people who have spoken regarding Rey's lineage (Pablo, J.J., Daisy, and Colin) have done.

The things that have been said are clarifying statements of absolute fact that they want out in the public consciousness in order to avoid misconceptions about the story they're trying to tell.

If fans have drawn inaccurate conclusions regarding certain things, there has been no hesitancy on the part of individuals directly involved with the new SW films to come out and clarify that said conclusions are in fact inaccurate.

4. JabbatheHumanBeing

Jul 14, 2015
    Stop killing our dreams! ;)

5. rumblewagon

rumblewagon Force Ghost star 4

Sep 24, 2004
    OMG! Rey and Jyn are both white and have brunette hair! They must be related to each other even though the actresses themselves are not related on our own tiny planet. But in the much larger, vaster universe of Star Wars they HAVE TO BE RELATED JUST BECAUSE! Thank you GL for causing us to believe everyone is related to everyone else since you went against your initial idea of not having Luke and Leia related and changed it in RotJ to make them brother and sister.

6. D'an

D'an Jedi Master star 4

Apr 21, 2014
    All I said was the theory shouldn't be dismissed /thread. I still believe Han & Leia could be Rey's parents, for what it's worth. But by all means, go ahead and be condescending pricks about it, because Pablo would never lie to protect a potentially juicy story element. Daisy's answer was deflection by the way, not a flat denial.

HeadingSouth likes this.
  7. JabbatheHumanBeing

Jul 14, 2015
    This can't be true, because I am Rey's mother.

Darth Smurf and D'an like this.
  8. D'an

D'an Jedi Master star 4

Apr 21, 2014

Ah. Now we can lock the thread. Thank you, Jabba. [face_party]

JabbatheHumanBeing likes this.
  9. JabbatheHumanBeing

Jul 14, 2015
  10. Elle-Wan

Elle-Wan Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jul 11, 2004

This is part of my point. I said earlier something to the affect of 'the story of the DS plans being stolen doesn't need telling'. ...meaning, we know it happened and we know it was a success. While they could certainly make an interesting movie around that concept, it isn't a missing part of the larger story. However, if it turns out that Jyn is Rey's mom, that makes RO a huge piece of the larger story as it will 1. help to explain Rey's origin and 2. advance the narrative momentum as it flows into Episode 8. ...as we will be even more invested in Rey because we just, presumably, really liked her mom.

Further, I said "Rey has a mom" not in an attempt to state the obvious, but because obviously whoever her mom is will have some kind of impact. Otherwise her family wouldn't have needed to be a mystery. She could have still been orphaned or abandoned or her parents could have been dead, but she would *know* who they were and how they died and that was that. ...but it's a mystery on purpose, so her parents are significant.

11. Elle-Wan

Jul 11, 2004

Barry Bonds has gone on record saying he never took steroids. Case closed. He said he didn't.

12. Oryx-I

Oryx-I Force Ghost star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    I know this is Star wars and all, and they can always say that technology helps a lot but... Do you really think that Rey's mom got pregnant when she was more than 50 years old already ? Do the maths, people. Since Felicity Jones is 32, and Return of the jedi is set 5 years after Rogue one, and Rey is 19 years old in TFA (that happens 35 years after ROTJ), Jyn would be THAT old when she had her daughter.

That sounds like an odd story choice to me.

13. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    Again, this movie DOES NOT NEED to be a "missing part of the larger story" in order to be made. It does not need to have a bunch of hamfisted "world building" connections to the ST in order to exist. In fact, that's sounds boring and really misses the point of the anthologies (to expand the universe outside of the main sage films and tell new and different kinds of stories in the GFFA). Not every film needs to be "grand and epic" and tie into the great mythology.

If this is a good and entertaining movie, that also fleshes out the story of ANH (there's your "connection" right there) in an interesting way, then that's more than enough to justify it's existence.

And again, KK and co's comments DO NOT indicate that they want to use the anthologies in that way. So yeah, you could say that they're lying, but then you'd have to say that they're lying about everything, which I don't buy.

14. Elle-Wan

Jul 11, 2004

Of course you're right about some of this. The anthologies don't need direct a link to the trilogies. The thing that's most ridiculous is how so many people are taking the 'he/she denied it' as credible. Artist have two options to protect against spoiling their work: 1. say 'no comment' 2. outright lie.

The problem is that 'no comment' stokes the flames. If you sit down for an interview and the interviewer asks you 20 questions, and you happily answer 19 of them and give a little insight into them, and then you get hit with the spoiler-loaded questions and you say "no comment", you might as well have just said "yes, you figured out the twist". Most human beings understand this, and musicians/writers have being doing this forever. The Beatles used to make up alternate explanations for their lyrics for many reasons, on LOST the show-runners were asked if all the characters were dead almost immediately and they unequivocally said 'no' (and it turns out they sort of were). .

15. Darth Basin

Darth Basin Jedi Master star 5

Aug 15, 2015

Cyborg implants? ala Vader?

16. Darth Basin

Darth Basin Jedi Master star 5

Aug 15, 2015

Its not just that. They have similar ears, eye arches, 4heads, jaw lines, noses, BONE STRUCTURE! If I was casting I wood of at least say "dy that hair" or something 2 look slightly different from DR.

Did u c that picture of FJ when she was 22ish? She's a Ridley clone.

rumblewagon likes this.
  17. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015

The showrunners on Lost didn't lie at all. The characters were completely alive while they were on the island. The sequence where they were all dead took place in the distant, distant future after many of them had lead long lives.

18. Elle-Wan

Jul 11, 2004

That's true, in the very ham-fisted way they tried to write the show off into the sunset. ...but clearly that wasn't the endgame from the start. The church at the end was sort of their transition from the literal purgatory they had been in on the island and life after the island. So yeah, they wrote it in a way so that it wasn't a lie.

19. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    To put this simply No.

20. Jedi Master Scorpio

Jedi Master Scorpio Star Wars Television star 5 Staff Member Manager

Oct 24, 2015
  21. DarthSheev

DarthSheev Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 9, 2015
    I hope not. In a galaxy of quadrillions, everyone is connected to everyone? It just feels forced and unnecessary.

22. luketheforeigner

luketheforeigner Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 16, 2016
    Altho this is a good thing that this could be but the time in when this movie is set there is no way that Jyn Erso is Ray's mother in the set that Jyn Erso may die in the end

23. QueenSabe7

QueenSabe7 Chosen One star 6

Mar 23, 2001
    I wouldn't be outraged if Jyn turns out to be Rey's mother, but I don't think it is necessary and would prefer she not be.

24. Jedi Master Scorpio

Jedi Master Scorpio Star Wars Television star 5 Staff Member Manager

Oct 24, 2015
    Nope I still don't think so.

25. Aetius888

Aetius888 Jedi Master star 2

May 23, 2005
    Does Jyn, from what little we know, strike anyone as Luke's type?