main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[Speculation] Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Han Burgundy, Jun 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jolee Bindo

Jolee Bindo Jedi Master star 3

Jan 5, 2016

With respect, I don't think real-world myths and movies based on them are analogous to in-universe myths and movies that exist within that universe. Fully realising an in-universe myth on the screen unequivocally defines the events of that myth in the canon. It ceases to be a myth in that sense and loses its more mysterious qualities, because we now know exactly what happened. There is no longer a place for a myth.

A movie based on a real myth doesn't affect the mystery of the myth. What we see in the film is not what actually happened to spawn the myth. It's merely an interpretation, just as the myth is an interpretation of real events. It simply adds to the myth and cannot demystify it.

I suspect that was really unclear, but tl;dr, I respectfully disagree. I think showing us exactly what happened is basically the definition of demystification.

2. Jonipoon

Jonipoon Jedi Master star 4

Apr 22, 2014
    Why would a movie have to show exactly what happend?

3. Jolee Bindo

Jan 5, 2016

That's been the general formula of how Star Wars films work. They don't tend to show the events of the movie from an ambiguous or equivocal perspective. The story teams generally seem to accept that what happens in a Star Wars film is complete, inviolable canon. If things were otherwise it would be problematic from a canon perspective in my opinion.

El_Machete12 likes this.
  4. Jonipoon

Jonipoon Jedi Master star 4

Apr 22, 2014
    The point of the Anthology films is to explore new genres and stories in the SW universe. In the not so far future, we may very well see them breaking the general formula.

5. Jolee Bindo

Jan 5, 2016

Fair enough. But I think it would be difficult to make such a film accessible for a general audience. Happy to be proven wrong, of course.

6. Darth Nave

Darth Nave Jedi Master star 4

Dec 27, 2015
    I posted this in another thread, but I think it would also be appropriate to post here:

In the new canon, we have been introduced to the idea that there are religious sects that worship the Force other than the Jedi and Sith, similar to how the different Abrahamic faiths worship the same God but have different holy books and different interpretations of him. With that in mind, what if they made a Star Wars film, book, comic, or TV show about a holy war - similar to the real-life Crusades - between those faiths that took place in the KOTOR era. Think Kingdom of Heaven but with a science-fantasy twist. Perhaps in place of Jerusalem, Jedha (which is the holy land where Force-worshipers congregate to be introduced in Rogue One) would be the piece of land that these groups are vying for possession of and the climactic battle takes place.

7. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012
    Basically make Jedha the canon version of Ruusan.

8. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015

Sure, why not? Could make for a great story with obvious real-world resonance.

As long as they're not too on the nose about it, and avoid making it too obvious an allegory. On that score, I agree with JRR Tolkien:

Darth Nave and Darth Formidious like this.
  9. PCCViking

PCCViking 6x Wacky Wednesday Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Jun 12, 2014

I have a feeling Jakku may be the canon version of Ruusan. Maybe Jedha is the new Tython or Ossus?

darklordoftech likes this.
  10. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I feel like Ach-to = Tython and Jedha = Ossus, with the Hundred-Year Darkness being merged with the Force Wars.

11. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012

problem with that is that Ossus was recanonized in a short story in late 2014.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  12. JabbatheHumanBeing

Jul 14, 2015

Thank God. I'm from Ossus, and was worried Lucasfilm might destroy my home planet.

13. PCCViking

PCCViking 6x Wacky Wednesday Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Jun 12, 2014

Nah, that task will be left up to Tarkin. :p

14. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    That doesn't mean Ossus has the same role in the Jedi's history that it had in Legends. It could just be a Jedi library in canon and not a planet that was involved in the Jedi's formation.

15. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    I wonder: Was there a time when Coruscant had natural land and Tatooine had water?

16. JabbatheHumanBeing

Jul 14, 2015

Re: the former, unless the world-city is built on water, I assume so...

darklordoftech likes this.
  17. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    I wonder how long Coruscant has been one big city for.

18. Darth Formidious

Darth Formidious Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2015
    If a KOTOR era film was released, would you like to see the galaxy in virtually the same way as in the films? So seeing all the architecture, infrastructure and transportation as futuristic.

I would like to see the galaxy as similar, perhaps some older models of ships and less hyperspace routes. But mostly the same feel to it. It would be absurd to think the galaxy was antiquated in the KOTOR era and evolved rapidly to what we see in the movies in the space of 4000 years, that's a minuscule amount of time in GFFA. I assume the galaxy had reached a plateau in it's technological innovation. What do you guys think?

19. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    I think the style theme has been based vaguely on our earthly changes in style.

If the OT is 1970's space, and the PT was a little bit (not enough?) 1950's. And the Sequels are "now".

Well, does KOTOR go 1930's, or go Steampunk... SciFi 1890's?
    All fiddly iron and brass and wood paneling.

But still blasters and spaceships and droids and so forth. For some reason, this universe is technologically locked. It got to a level and then settled into it.

Darth Formidious likes this.
  20. JabbatheHumanBeing

Jul 14, 2015

Is the KOTOR era even canon anymore?

Personally, I would like to see something set in the deep, deep past of the GFFA. Back to the origin of the Jedi, tens of thousands of years ago. And in that context, I'd like to see technological development be a bit behind where it is in the PT, OT and ST eras. Perhaps slower space travel, where hyperspace is only available to a few. Or where hyperspace is a lot more dangerous to use.

Darth Formidious likes this.
  21. Darth Formidious

Dec 19, 2015

That's interesting, a movie like that would have to be completely innovative since it is set so far back. Interesting to see how it would be laid out.

And sadly, no, the glorious KOTOR isn't canon anymore. :(

JabbatheHumanBeing likes this.
  22. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    I don't see the Jakku-Ruusan connection.

23. Blackhole E Snoke

Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 26, 2016

Around 1000bby both Ruusan in legends and Jakku in canon had something significant buried, that would/could much later become very important, after Palpatine's death. On Ruusan it's the remnants of Kaan's thought bomb and all the trapped souls underneath the valley of the Jedi memorial, that became a significant site again when Jerec found it.

24. Powerful Lord

Powerful Lord Jedi Knight star 1

May 10, 2015

Huh? 4000 years is an insane ammount of time. Consider how much technology has evolved in the past century, or even the past two decades. Once a major technology achievement is made, many more seem to follow. What i think would be ridiculous would be something like The Old Repuplic mmorpg, which showed a universe with almost the exact same technology as the main films. I think a KOTOR era film should try being imaginative with it's designs and the fact that it takes place so much in the past. You have events like the hundred years darkness for example. To explain a major war like that lasting so long and not take away from the "scale" of the main saga, it would make sense to explain that travel technology was much slower during those days. Maybe they could even take weeks to months. You would have the oportunity to explore an era when most routes for interstellar travels were unknown.

The old Expanded Universe had some cool mythology, but the fact that technology was kept static, yet wars and sith empires lasted long kind of diminished Palpatine's feat.

25. Darth Formidious

Dec 19, 2015
    You must understand that the dynamics of the Star Wars galaxy are very different to our own. We are questioning time which is related to an entire galaxy and not just one planet: like earth. There was definitely a plateau effect, we can even see this in the similarity of the PT and OT backdrop. Yoda's great grandfather was most likely not the equivalent of a caveman on earth.

That's why it's now the old expanded universe. Technology probably wouldn't be synonymous with war in the new film; they would independently coexist. Some EU material like KOTOR fit with the narrative perfectly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.