main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One [Speculation] The Empire in Rogue One

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by DaddlerTheDalek, Feb 5, 2016.

1. Count Dood

Count Dood Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 18, 2015
    No more cameos.... If Palpatine is in this he should be true to form as the galactic emperor who has or is in the process of consolidating absolute power.

Doesn't require more than 5 to 10 minutes of screen time.

2. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    Doesn't require him being in the film at all.

3. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015
    Palpatine's not going to get 5-10 minutes of screentime. Less than a minute, I'd guess, if he's even in it.

DaddlerTheDalek and vncredleader like this.
  4. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    I think he should only be seen in a hologram, if seen, or otherwise just talked about by others like he was in ANH.

5. PCCViking

PCCViking 6x Wacky Wednesday Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Jun 12, 2014

I wonder if there will be a parallel scene with TFA: have Vader and Tarkin (or Krennich) standing next to each other, talking to the Emperor, whose hologram might have him on the Imperial throne, instead of just his head. Krennich might be trying to brownnose the Emperor, while Vader is probably rolling his eyes under his helmet. :p

6. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    It would be funny if someone said, "I sympathized with Palpatine when Mace Windu assaulted him, but then Palpatie fell under Vader's influence."

Darth Caliban likes this.
  7. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    Yeah it would either be a conversation about him doing something or a holocron / quick scene of the senate with him disbanding it. If anything

JabbatheHumanBeing likes this.
  8. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    If he were to appear, and I have my doubts that he will TBH, I think that it'd most likely be as an ESB-esque holorecording. Speaking with either Krennic or Vader, or both.

9. Millennium Falcon 888

Millennium Falcon 888 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 6, 2016
    While Vader should get enough screen time in R1, I also have my doubts that Palpatine would get the same... He's going to be referenced and mentioned by the baddies, for sure, but physical appearance?

Nah, I don't think Sheev will show up as such!

Sent from MillenniumFalcon AI using Tapatalk

10. Count Dood

Count Dood Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 18, 2015
    IMO It would be nice if he did to show his evolution and the conflict between him and the senate. That is key plot material. I mean we already saw him in the PT so having him here is not strange.
    I mean if we are going to dig deeper into the backstory some onscreen info on the structure of the new empire would be nice (and the alliance and the Senate).

darklordoftech likes this.
  11. DaddlerTheDalek

DaddlerTheDalek Jedi Master star 4

Aug 31, 2014
    It was really cool to see the might of the Empire on the big screen in a new movie.

12. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    It was interesting to see the Citadel and know that the Empire had an Imperial Security Complex that housed State secrets, like the Death Star plans. Also of note were the security files Jyn mentioned before 'Star-Dust'. I didn't catch the first, but she did say, 'Black Saber'.

It also makes you wonder if those files were duplicated into the data files of the Death Star, since it was suggested that Artoo's hack of the security system in the Death Star in A New Hope allowed him to sequester the map, and, therefore, the location of the the First Jedi Temple on Acth-To.

13. Lt. Hija

Lt. Hija Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2015
    That Tarkin gave the order to destroy the Imperial Archive on Scarif and accepted the death of hundreds or thousands of Imperial personnel apparently as some kind of collateral damage, emphasized something I had speculated about repeatedly (i.e. the Alliance would leave no man behind, but the Empire would).

His order is especially appaling, considering that in ANH the recovery of the stolen plans no longer appears to be his prime concern:

TARKIN
    This bickering is pointless. Lord Vader will provide us with the location of the Rebel fortress by the time this station is operational. We will then crush the Rebellion with one swift stroke.

(no mentioning of the stolen Death Star plans)

DaddlerTheDalek and Iron_lord like this.
  14. Jmacq1

Jmacq1 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 20, 2005
    Consider: By destroying that archive (to say nothing of Krennic himself), Tarkin was also destroying the official records of various other Imperial secret projects. In other words...he was undercutting his competition now that he had his big bad new toy.

Now certainly, there is a reasonable argument to be made that surely the Empire had backups elsewhere (or more accurately that the archive WAS the backups), but still....canny and ruthless on Tarkin's part.

DaddlerTheDalek likes this.
  15. Biel Ductavis

Biel Ductavis Jedi Master star 4

Aug 17, 2015
    I wonder if Tarkin would have tried to go against Sheev if the Yavin Fiasco hadn't happened...

16. PCCViking

PCCViking 6x Wacky Wednesday Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Jun 12, 2014

That may be why Vader was posted to the Death Star. While he acknowledged Tarkin as commander of the Death Star, he was probably there as a subtle reminder not to exceed his authority.

17. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    What we know about the archive, is that it's the ONLY location for the Death Star plans. We do not know about the rest of the data there - whether there are backups or not. Just that the Death Star plans alone, that was the sole location.

18. The Legions of Lettow

The Legions of Lettow Jedi Master star 5

Oct 14, 2015
    Right. And remember in the first draft of VII, Luke wants to go to the Imperial Throne Room in the second Death Star to find the location of the first Jedi Temple. I'm sure the Empire kept records of everything and the Emperor wanted access.

Darth Caliban and Immortiss like this.