main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Spider-Man 3 Discussion Thread - Spoilers

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by Jedi_Master_Conor, Jan 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. -Phoenix-

-Phoenix- Jedi Master star 5

Oct 21, 2005
    I saw it twice. My brother hadn't seen it so I went a second time. The walk down the sidewalk was even better.

2. OBIX1

OBIX1 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 7, 2002
    I'm gonna see it for a second time as soon as possible (probably will in a week or so). I hope maybe I can see it 3 times total by the time it leaves theaters. :)

3. darth_paul

darth_paul Jedi Master star 5

Apr 24, 2000
    I'll be seeing it again next week, exclusively because my fiancée wants to see it (for her first time). They wouldn't get my money again except for that. But as is, should be relatively fun, especially now that I know to expect a comedy. Be interesting to see if it's any better when going in with a different frame of mind.

-Paul

4. Yodas-evil-twin

Yodas-evil-twin Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 3, 2005
    Not till DVD. I'll watch it once more at that point, and likely leave it untouched after that.

5. ObiWanCon

ObiWanCon Jedi Master star 4

Apr 15, 2004
    Well I saw it for the third time today and now that I've seen it three times I love it, there's still things I'd like to be different like more Peter in the black suit and more Venom and less Peter dancing but overall I can now say that for me this movie is on par with the first two and I'll see it again in the cinema and then get the DVD the day it comes out.

Bring on Spider-Man 4 with the Lizard and Mysterio.

6. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    I saw it today. I loved Sandman (Thomas Hayden Church is underrated as an actor - who knew he'd be the one from 'Wings' with the thriving movie career ten years ago?), wouldn't mind a Sandman film (and I think that was the intention in allowing him to survive at the end). James Cromwell was on the other hand totally wasted in his role in the film, and I wish that Stan Lee's cameo had come after Peter got infected with the Venom parasite. Totally stinks that they killed off Brock and Harry at the end. Although, I guess with Harry it brings the story full - circle.

Anyways, I enjoyed it though I could have lived without the Staying Alive parody. I guess I know what my bathroom break is the next time I possibly see the film.

7. Moleman1138

Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 18, 2004
    60 2nd Weekend. Hoping this is way over.

8. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    I've seen the film and thought it was very good. A lot better than the second one, but I agree that this story should've been divided in two acts. That way, there wouldn't be so much negative press and it would allow Venom more time.

As to Sandman, given that during the 80's and much of the 90's, they've worked together on occassion, I could see a future film with Sandman helping Spidey.

9. Yodas-evil-twin

Yodas-evil-twin Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 3, 2005
    I just realized that this film was given to us by the same "geniuses" responsible for the PS3.

10. Darth_Hydra

Darth_Hydra Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 14, 2001
    Gee, that's pretty bad. I was expecting something in the $75-$90 million range. Wonder what the main reason for the drop was: that nearly everyone saw it last weekend or the bad reviews turning away potential audiences?

11. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    It's also Mother's Day Weekend.

12. Sn4tcH

Sn4tcH Jedi Master star 4

Oct 22, 2004
    I don't know about anybody else, but anytime anyone asks me if they should go see it I mention "dance scene" and they decide not to. This movie has super word of mouth going on. When a movie is as big as this and has as big of a negative reaction as this, it's going to cause trouble. I mean I went with a large group of people to the midnight showing, and nobody in the group I was with enjoyed it, and everyone else in the theater had started yelling at the screen almost half-way through movie about how it sucked...

I'm also an avid podcast listener. And even in podcasts that have nothing to do with Spider-man or movies, there's this conversation (one example of many):

Host 1: So, did you see the new Spider-man?
    Host 2: Yup.
    Host 1: Was it as bad as I remember it being?
    Host 2: Yes.

I mean Spider-man 2 is regarded as one of the finest comic films ever made. It was going to be an up hill struggle, but I mean, besides this thread, I have not heard a single positive review from a person who has seen this movie.

13. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    60 million isn't all that bad. Remember that this is early May, school is not out yet. Also a lot of people saw it last weekend. And the last two films saw a drop during the second week. From MSNBC.com

?After a record-breaking opening weekend, to me this is an appropriate second-weekend drop,? said Paul Dergarabedian, president of box-office tracker Media By Numbers. ?Any studio would be happy to have a movie opening with $60 million, let alone a second weekend with $60 million.?

With $242.1 million domestically in just 10 days, ?Spider-Man 3? continued to beat the box-office pace of its predecessors. After 10 days, 2002?s ?Spider-Man? had grossed $223 million, while 2004?s ?Spider-Man 2? had taken in $225 million.

?Spider-Man 3? quickly became the year?s top-grossing film, hurtling past ?300,? the Warner Bros. battle epic that has taken in $208 million.

Second-weekend drops for successful studio films typically are well below 50 percent. But ?Spider-Man 3? shattered records with $151.1 million in its first weekend, making a big decline virtually inevitable since so many people already had seen the film.

?When you?re in that stratosphere, we had to assume we would be in the range of a 60 percent drop,? said Rory Bruer, head of distribution for Sony.

So really, it's not nearly as bad as you think. The third film took in more in ten days than the first two films had, over a ten day period, each.

14. OBIX1

Oct 7, 2002
    ^Exactly. That's the point I've been trying to make the past couple of days too. The drop is not as bad as people are making it out to be. It's pretty much normal. :)

15. Master_Jedi80

Master_Jedi80 Jedi Youngling star 3

May 27, 2005

Im honestly shocked to hear people react like this...
    well sort of.
    When i saw Spidey 1, on opening day, the people in the theater were laughing out loud and mocking it, especially near the end. but i was loving it...

So, i guess its all a crap-shoot.

Personally, I loved ALL of these Spiderman movies, and i think this 3rd one does an excellent job of wrapping up the themes started in the first film...

I also didnt mind the dance scene, and thought each battle was cool, and the story was great.

one complaint i heard is that it was too long. Again, i have trouble with this, because Id rather it be a 3 1/2 hour movie. i wanted more.

The one fault i find is that the MJ/peter thing never really got resolved... but you can figure out that after they reuinite she explains about the goblin forcing her to avoid him and he explains that the evil suit made him a dance machine... i mean release his inner demons.

Anyways,

To answer the question on whether i am going to see it in theaters again, my answer is YOU BET I WILL. and Ill but the DVD and watch it a bunch of times.

Ill make sure i write how i feel after the second veiwing, because maybe my opinion will change. But, all i can do is think about how fun and interesting this movie was.

I just love how these movies really go well together. All the same major characters, yet also all the same minor characters. Bugle Employees are the same(not just JJJ) and aunt may is the same. They brought back the "killer of uncle ben" to refilm scenes explaining how Sandman killed ben. The little things like that, make the 3 movies into one big long story for me. and I really like that.

I also want to mention that i think 60 million is a good number considering it was Mothers Day and a beautiful weekend in the North East of the USA. A lot of my friends are waiting to see this until all the chaos dies down. they want to wait until this week to see it so they avoid the rediculous crowds. so maybe that played into the drop-- yet, 60 mil, and 240,000,000 estimates are excellent numbers

16. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    Over the past several years I've come to the conclusion that the first midnight showing is not the way to go. It always seems like there are waaaay to many drunk people in the crowd. When I saw Spider-Man 2 we even had a couple guys streak through the theater down in front of the screen screaming "I'm Peter Parker!" during the last scene. And I've seen other people, including one of my best friends who, for some reason, feel the need to "perform" in packed theaters. They'll be cracking as many loud jokes as possible and generally treating the movie like they're a cast member of MST3K. Whether a movie is good or not, it's still respectful to keep quite in the theater. Just because you're not enjoying it doesn't mean someone else isn't.

In the past, it always seemed like the midnight showing would only be hardcore fans and you wouldn't have to worry about that kind of stuff, everyone went to enjoy the movie. As it has become much more mainstream and fashionable to catch the midnight showing, I've found I have much more pleasent movie experiences when I go to the first showing early on Sat mornings. I did it with both Spider-Man 3 and 300 and had quite pleasent movie experiences. The crowd is usually smaller and older so you can have a pleasent theater experience without all the loudmouths.

17. ZodVertigo

ZodVertigo Jedi Youngling

Apr 27, 2005
    I agree with you, I stopped going to openings after Star Wars was done and I've enjoyed the experience much better.

18. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    I think Peter had already figured out that Harry had regained his memories and was responsible for his and MJ's break up. There is the reason that he stopped when he left the cafe and turned around to look at Harry, who turned and winked at him, before pulling a disappearing act as Peter started back across the street. That's part of the reason he went after Harry while wearing the Symbiote. The whole thing had sounded insane to him and then he realized that it was insane, because only an insane man would do this.

19. Master_Jedi80

Master_Jedi80 Jedi Youngling star 3

May 27, 2005

well said!

20. -Phoenix-

-Phoenix- Jedi Master star 5

Oct 21, 2005
    Oops, wrong thread.

21. ObiWan506

ObiWan506 Former Head Admin star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 5, 2003
    I still haven't seen it yet. Tomorrow. Probably tomorrow. I hope tomorrow!

22. OBIX1

Oct 7, 2002
    :eek: Dude, you have to go see it! :D

23. ObiWan506

ObiWan506 Former Head Admin star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 5, 2003
    It's always something. Niece's birthday party, Mother's Day, etc. No time. I don't think there's anything scheduled for today, so this might be my chance.

24. OBIX1

Oct 7, 2002
    Yeah, I definitely understand that. A bunch of stuff like that has prevented me from going for my second viewing. :)

25. Mayor_Adam_West

Mayor_Adam_West Jedi Master star 2

Aug 22, 2006
    I've seen Spider-Man 3 twice, one at the midnight showing and one at 3:30 the following Sunday. I thought it was kind of interesting that when the movie ended at the midnight show there was lots of moaning about how bad it was. Yet my second show, they applauded. Personally I think its the best of the three. I wish it was longer though, to allow for more symbiote spiderman and venom, but I'm definatly happy with what we got.

QFT. The last really good midnight show I've been to was Episode III. Seems like lately there's always morons who have to make jokes and yell things at the screen.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.