main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Spider-Man & SSU Films (Madame Web, Venom 3, Kraven, Beyond the Spider-Verse)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Spiderfan, May 20, 2008.

1. Bilbo Fett

Bilbo Fett Force Ghost star 5

Apr 19, 2017
    I don't think Marvel would use a Sony movie to introduce any potential future main characters for their side but, since the gang will be stopping off in London ...

[​IMG]

RolandofGilead, BigAl6ft6 and Gamiel like this.
  2. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    There is also Union Jack, Blade, Spitfire and Excalibur [face_praying]

3. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    They weren't S.H.I.E.L.D. agents, but I don't think they'll go that route. They might, but who knows?

4. Bilbo Fett

Apr 19, 2017
    Here's an interesting consideration ...

If this thing ends up winning the Oscar for Best Animated would that be enough to get L&M, with their producing and writing credits on it, far enough back in Disney's good graces to land them an MCU directing gig? Star Wars would definitely be out but they always struck me as being a great fit for the MCU, depending on the character of course.

BigAl6ft6 and Sith_Sensei__Prime like this.
  5. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
  6. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Depends on how completely they were perceived to have screwed up Solo.

7. Bilbo Fett

Apr 19, 2017
  8. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I think it's unlikely- not sticking to the script/plan wouldn't fly with Feige any more than it did with KK. Both franchises have to stay within certain parameters to remain cohesive, even if those parameters permit a good deal of variation. Try to alter the story too much and maybe you a mutual parting of ways like Patty Jenkins had. But go too far off the reservation with tone or script and you end up like Wright, Lord & Miller.

9. Bilbo Fett

Apr 19, 2017
    I think Wright is a bit of a special case. Ant-Man only got off the ground because of him and had a long gestation period with his involvement that started before the MCU was well defined or knew exactly what it wanted to be. He and Marvel parted ways once it was obvious his desires wouldn't mesh as well with the larger narrative.

What I'm talking about with L&M is being able to bring them on board because what they would do with certain characters would mesh well. You're not as concerned with them going off of the reservation because the sandbox they want to play in fits into the larger picture. They would be involved in taking a pass over the script and fine tuning it to their flavor rather than having a situation where they were being brought in to shoot a script written by someone as territorial as Lawrence Kasdan who also happened to be the lead producer.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2019
  10. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Feige is totally fine with tonal experiments in the MCU but the big pieces have to fit together, which is probably what sent Wright packing. I'm sure nothing stylistically was going to be a dealbreaker.

11. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Wright was a mixture of both, I suspect. IIRC, the script wasn't really the issue (though they no doubt reworked it a little after he left), which suggests it was an issue of style or tone going too far or being otherwise incompatible with the direction of the overall MCU.

Well, I think that's why Wright is an apt comparison- he was also involved with the development of the script and still ultimately tried to take things in a direction that wouldn't work for the producer (and Feige obviously has involvement in overall story direction). Feige does seem to favor improv more than KK, but I think there are limitations even within that- if only due to the different nature of each franchise.

I mean, for Disney, it's really just going to come down to "These guys won't do what we hire them to do and, because of that behavior, previously caused us to spend a lot more money on a film that would have otherwise been profitable (even if underperforming), for the sake of maintaining longterm franchise quality." and there's no way they're going to risk that again on another mega-franchise.

I could see L&M working for Disney on an original animated project unconnected to an established franchise, however- but I think even there, Disney is going to be much more protective of their animation brand than they were 15 years ago. They just have so many other creatives they could hire who don't bring that history with them.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2019
  12. Bilbo Fett

Apr 19, 2017
  13. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    So if that is the real Sandman then in two films they've introduced three members of the original Sinister Six. I wonder if that means we can expect Doc Ock in Spider-Man 3 with maybe Kraven or Electro as a secondary villain and then have the Sinister Six form in a potential fourth film.

14. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Or they could use an alternative line-up, they don't need to copy the comics original line-up after all

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  15. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    I wonder if they'll use Scorpion instead since they've already set up Mac Gargan. That post credit scene definitely felt like it was setting something up.

PCCViking likes this.
  16. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    I've been waiting for a Sinister Six movie since, oh, the end of Spider-Man 2 (I convinced myself Doc Ock wasn't dead) and it's damn time for one. Spider-Verse got kinda close with the multiple baddies. Speaking of which, Spider-Verse just nominated for Best Animated Picture, yahooo!

17. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    So it's your fault Sony has kept trying to make that solo SS movie for the past decade.

18. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Hey, I would pay good money to see the Drew Goodard Sinister Six, that's why he left Daredevil right after it just started running. Then they canned it. :( Live again, Goodard Six!

Last edited: Jan 22, 2019
    Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  19. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    Ugh, if they are building to a Sinister Six appearance I certainly hope it isn't that stupid solo film idea. Don't get cute, Sony, just put Spider-Man in it like he belongs. :p

PCCViking likes this.
  20. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    I think the Sony Hack revealed that Spider-Man would have been in the Sinister Six movie (there was some jabbering about Andrew Garfield wanting to know if it would count for his ASM #3 contract). I actually don't mind a movie from the POV of the Sinister Six but in the end Spider-Man has to show up. Unlike how Venom did it. You can do a movie about the baddies but ultimately you need freakin' Spider-Man in the Spider-Man movie!

Gamiel likes this.
  21. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Spider-Man's main villains...

1. which ones have never had a live-action cinematic appearance since Raimi's trilogy began, but should?

2. which past villains, not yet in the MCU but in the Raimi trilogy or Amazing duology, should be introduced in the MCU?

22. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    new ones: Kraven! Hobgoblin! Carnage! Black Cat (yes, I know Felicia is in ASM 2 but that barely counts). Mr. Negative! Get Vincent D'onofrio to play Kingpin in an MCU Spidey fer crissakes!

PCCViking and Ghost like this.
  23. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    Kraven would be tops on my list (since we're getting Mysterio) and you could always throw Chameleon in that story as well. I also have always thought having one or both of the Smythes (I'm not counting the ASM2 cameo) and doing a Spider-Slayer movie could work really well.

24. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    What about the Jackal and Kaine?

(and we've yet to see Mac Gargan as the Scorpion)

There's also the Man-Spider storyline.

Who is Mr Negative?

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  25. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    I say no, some things work in the comics or even the cartoons but not as well on the big screen and I feel like the clone saga and Man-Spider story-lines fit that bill.

Right - I guess I'm assuming we are going to but I definitely want to see that - heck, bring in the Smythes to make his suit!

He's a new(ish) villain - basically a super powered mob boss.

BigAl6ft6 and Sith_Sensei__Prime like this.
  26. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Any reason why Mr Negative would be better than the Kingpin as a mob boss? Could he fit with the MCU? (I assume some wacky dimensional thing is going on to make him look like that)

Last edited: Jan 23, 2019