main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Spider-Man & SSU Films (Madame Web, Venom 3, Kraven, Beyond the Spider-Verse)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Spiderfan, May 20, 2008.

1. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    Marvel Studios’ deal with Sony to use Spider-Man is unheard of in how favorable it is to Sony. The MCU Spider-Man films count as the activity Sony must have with Spider-Man to retain the rights to make more Spider-Man films.

Marvel and Sony were both in potential trouble when the deal was made. After the Sony email hack the studio was plunged into such chaos there was a possibly it wouldn’t be able to fulfill its obligation to release a Spider-Man movie in time.

2. Darth_Foo

Darth_Foo Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2003
    Copied from the movie thread-

Spider-man: No Way Home

Have to preface this review by stating outright I'm not a Spider-Man fan, like at all. I only saw the first two Sam Rami movies (one was good, hated the relationship plot of two) and frankly imo SM is the second most over-rated super hero after Batman. I hate reboots and try to avoid them so never wanted to see the Amazing series or the Home series. I found Peter to be really annoying in the other marvel movies. However I caught some parts of NWH at my theater and decided to give it a try. Even just for Tobey.

I liked it a lot more than I expected! While I still think Peter is annoying the rest of the movie: Dr. Strange and the villains more than made up for it. Dafoe was even better in this than the original and the fight with Doc Ock was well choreographed. Using the multiverse was a good way around what I hate about reboots which is having to pretend I didn't see another movie with the same characters doing slightly different things. Even Electro was great and almost made me think of watching the Amazing movies.

Ned and MJ I'm lukewarm on, the actors are good but I don't care about the characters.

If I was a Spider-Man fan I would have loved the crap out it and said 11/10. As a non-fan I still give it a 7/10

The "Pitch Meeting" on YouTube for NWH is 100% on point though- "so Strange stops casting the spell so he and peter can work it out?"
    "Nope"
    "Why not?"
    "So the movie can happen"

"I'm gonna need you to watch 5 Spider-Man movies for this to work"

"It's a love letter to the fans....Cashing in on our intellectual properties....Fan service but done right!"

SuperWatto likes this.
  3. s_heffley

s_heffley Chosen One star 7

Jun 7, 2015
    Who here claimed Morbius was “bad”

slander I tell you

slander

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#MorbiusSweep

4. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    so Sam Raimi was asked about doing another Spiderman movie and he said he'd love to work with Tobey Kirsten again.

yeaaaah [face_party] make it happen!

5. Jean-Luc Picard

Jean-Luc Picard Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 13, 2018
    Tyrese actually fell for that ****.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  6. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    How often are they supposed to release a Spider-Man related movie?

7. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    Sony's 1998 license, covering all Spider-Man films (including 900 characters related to Spider-Man), is perpetual provided that Sony releases a new Spider-Man film at least once every 5.75 years.

Thena likes this.
  8. VexedAtVohai

VexedAtVohai Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 4, 2020
    Oh god, how many reboots will that be in my lifetime?

9. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 10, 2022
  10. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, you've had at least 3 so far. ;)

PCCViking likes this.
  11. Jean-Luc Picard

Aug 13, 2018

12. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    [​IMG]

13. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    ^ Into the Spider-Verse is so great and beautiful!

And where are the deleted scenes on the SMNWH blu? I’ve been looking for them and zip. My sole reason for purchasing the physical copy too. :mad:

https://thedirect.com/article/spider-man-no-way-home-blu-ray-marvel-deleted-scenes

If anyone can confirm the deleted scenes are on the digital version, then great, I’ll wait for a sale (That was another wash for me, because I didn’t realize the digital copy was connected to Movies Anywhere.:( Not going to give Sony my info, Apple and Disney are more than enough.)

I am so glad I paid under $6 for this.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2022
  14. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Didn't hate Morbius, didn't suck. Adequately weird superhero vampire movie that is kinda weak but has moments that are good (the first transformation scene has "bite", one cop walks in with holy water to interview him) with Matt Smith dancing for evil (Moribus took until the end of the movie to look accurately like his comic book counterpart, Smith's guy looks like an escapee from Buffy) and an interesting (if somewhat nonsensical considering what happens in No Way Home) mid-credits teasers. Only thing that actively made me angry was this bit:

Morbius walking into the field of Bats as they fly around him and the music soars literally almost note for note for a rip off of the moment of Hans Zimmer's score in Batman Begins when Bruce walks into the bats/batcave. Like just lazy copying and pasting bits from better movies, and in a superhero vampire flick nonetheless, is the only part that really ticked me off.

Anyway, the good important mid-credits stuff

ok, it doesn't make much sense that Doctor Strange's spell would punt Toomes into the Amazing Spider-Man/Venom/Morbius universe. Yes, I am officially going with this is the ASM-verse. Amazing Spider-Man lost Gwen, stopped pulling his punches, went dark, we have the Sony Spider-Man Dark Universe which has X-treme gritty late 90s/early 2000s era vibes all over the place.

But couple of ways around it 1) Toomes was always from the ASM-verse so Strange's end movie spell sent him back 2) it's magic, spells get broken, don't think about it 3) Multiverse of Madness universe breaking bits 4) the Madame Web movie will explain it 5) the mid-credits stingers take place during No Way Home and right after Toomes conversation with Morbius he fades out and goes back to the MCU making the whole bit pointless and confusing for Morbius. (Although the purple crack in the sky indicates it's at the same time as the climax of No Way Home, and Vulture saying it had "something to do with Spider-Man" implies the "forget about Peter Parker" spell worked on him too)

And while Vulture's suit looked (exactly?) like his one from Homecoming, he could have gone over to Oscorp and gotten the one that was hanging on the wall seen in Amazing Spider-Man 2.

[​IMG]

And while there isn't any alien Chitauri tech lying around the ASM-verse, I'm sure he could cobble something together. Peter said in No Way Home "Our technology is really advanced" and "You're only a genius on Earth, pal!" line from Rocket to Tony, maybe everyone in the MCU is really really good at science-y sci-fi tech.

Or, y'know, Vulture's suit was stashed in a box and faded over to the ASM-verse and Toomes went and picked it up which makes as much sense as anything else with what happened at the end. It did feel like an attempt to copy & paste the (much much) better mid-credits stinger from Venom: Let There Be Carnage (and the awesome mid-credits Eddie scene from No Way Home) without any thought as to how exactly it would work aside from Sony Wants Sinister Six dammit (No Way Home is totally a sinister six movie, as I've said, Eddie just had the good sense to sit it out and get drunk at the bar the whole time)

Anyway, 7% canon connection to the MCU so y'know technically counts.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2022
    PCCViking and s_heffley like this.
  15. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015

It was so great to see Alfred Molina return as Doc Ock. I got No Way Home on DVD on Tuesday.

BigAl6ft6, PCCViking and Thena like this.
  16. Dr Silva

Dr Silva Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 23, 2021
    Yeah Molina and Dafoe were so great it and all 3 spiderman were tremendous also , this might be my favorite marvel fim so far although Avengers Infinity War and Endgame are hard to top.

17. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    Willem made a good Dafoe of Holland's Spider-Man.

:p

BigAl6ft6 and Emperor Ferus like this.
  18. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    But will he be Da Foe again in future movies?

19. Jean-Luc Picard

Aug 13, 2018
    DVD?! jesus christ, why?! You need a Blu-ray player!

20. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Well, dang it

21. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
  22. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    [​IMG]

23. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Morbius now at or very near the break-even point.

Gamiel likes this.
  24. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Why is that tweet using The Batman logo for Morbius? [face_not_talking]

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  25. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Was wondering about that myself... :p