main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Spider-Man & SSU Films (Madame Web, Venom 3, Kraven, Beyond the Spider-Verse)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Spiderfan, May 20, 2008.

1. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    The takeaway I’m getting here is that Jared Leto will be hermetically sealed in the Sonyverse for all eternity.

2. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    Finally got around to seeing No Way Home.

Really liked it. Went by like blitz. And really heartfelt, sad, ending. He does the responsible thing, because he knows now that the people he loves are in constant danger just by knowing him. But truly sad. And lonely.

I didn't read any rumors or a single review of this since it came out, and I had a weird theory that TH Spidey would get pulled out of the MCU-verse and back into the Sony verse, as the title goes "No way home" I'm glad that didn't happen. Although him starting over with no family or friends is pretty rough.

Sarge, BigAl6ft6 and PCCViking like this.
  3. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    This bit in Doctor Strange 2 gave me chills, video is pretty accurate of the audience reaction where I was

4. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    The bright, colorful outfits weren't unacceptable by the general audience. What was unacceptable were crap films. Singer felt that being faithful to the comics would hurt, given how poorly "Batman & Robin" was received. WB over compensated trying to make a family friendly film, which hurt them in the short term for Batman and the long term with Superman. I can understand going darker with Batman's suit, since it played with hiding in the shadows. But Superman's suit was acceptable to general audiences. Making two crap sequels and a spin off, that was the problem.

5. DarkGingerJedi

Nov 21, 2012
    I cannot stand the Routh suite. The muted blues and burgundy. The wet suit texture. And vinyl shower curtain cape. The small S. The high chocking neck line. The over designed boots. It all looked incredibly unbalanced and not well fitted to Rough's physique.

soitscometothis likes this.
  6. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Better than this....

[​IMG]

7. Dr Silva

Dr Silva Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 23, 2021
    Brandon Routh was basically playing Christopher Reeve Superman so why didnt they just have him wear same outfit Reeve wore etc.

8. DarkGingerJedi

Nov 21, 2012
    That’s just nightmare fuel

9. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Simple. WB didn't think it looked serious enough. It started with Dean Cain's suit being made out of a different material from the Salkinds suits. By the time we got to Routh, the feeling was to copy what Raimi did with Magiure's suit. The closed neck was to conceal some of the padding. Look at Tyler Hoechlin's suit.

[​IMG]

Routh didn't have enough time to bulk up. Raimi didn't want his suit to look like the 70's era suits, which looks like Reeve’s suit.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 21, 2022
    DarkGingerJedi likes this.
  10. DarkGingerJedi

Nov 21, 2012
    Routh was built. Its just that heavy material flattened all the tone out. There was no definition. That and the neck line made him look odd. And you'd be surprised how much the diamond shaped S really helps make Superman look bigger. Everything was the wrong proportion.

soitscometothis likes this.
  11. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Before being cast, Routh wasn't as big as he would get. By the mid point of filming, he was big. By 2014, he was consistent enough that when he returned to the role, he didn't have to take as long.

12. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    The change for Spider-Man and for Batman worked really well for movies. I think the problem with updating Superman’s costume was how well Christopher Reeves made the classic costume believable. He completely sold it with his physique and through his portrayal.

I’m not sure any of the other Superman actors could make that costume work.

That makes me think if the right person were cast as Batman a more simple Adam West type costume could actually work in a serious Batman movie. And we’ve seen how a home made looking Spider-Man costume worked fine in the MCU.

Sarge likes this.
  13. DarkGingerJedi

Nov 21, 2012
    Oddly enough. The same thing happened with Reeve. By mid point of filming I believe he almost couldn't fit in the suit because he kept exercising and had to tone it done.

And yeah the Reeve suit is perfect. It's simple. All the others look a bit over-designed or the wrong shade. I remember Donner saying he wanted Supes to basically be the only thing in color, contrasted to the bleak black, white and grays of Metropolis. Nowadays, it's almost the reverse. Supes is so dour. The creators just want him to be Batman.

14. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
  15. nilzo antonio

nilzo antonio Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 31, 2015
    [​IMG]

And you people badmouthing the movie :p:p:p

PCCViking likes this.
  16. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    Ya know, I actually liked Morbius. I enjoyed much more that Venom 2: Let There Be Carnage. Although, I have very low expectations of Morbius and so the film was able to step over that bar.

I'll probably watch Morbius again when it arrives on whatever streaming service that I'm all ready paying for.

Master_Lok and PCCViking like this.
  17. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    I had never heard that one. Dave Prowse claimed that Reeve had lost weight in 77, when he had to go off for a few weeks and when he came back, Reeve was upset at the loss. As to the other part, we should discuss it in an appropriate thread.

18. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000

"Audiences everywhere are demanding 'STOP PLAYING THE ****ING MORBIUS TRAILER EVERY TIME I SEE A FILM!!! IT'S BEEN TWO YEARS!!'"

Thank you.

Last edited: May 24, 2022
  19. nilzo antonio

nilzo antonio Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 31, 2015
  20. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Gave it a rewatch on the weekend on digital, it isn't some memeable irony masterpiece or the pile of garbage on the other side. It's fine, there's some decent weird Vampire stuff, the FX kinda bobble between cool and ugly, and Matt Smith dances with evil. Still don't know how the hell the ending ties into No Way Home's spell though unless, yes, Toomes was always from the Venom/Morbius/probably ASM verse. Or Madame Web explains it.

Speaking of which, just got a new Madame Web actress!

Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  21. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Well, I know now why the SMNWH blu was missing the deleted scenes: Sony are releasing an extended cut of NWH in theaters on September 2nd. More Fun Stuff (a.k.a. The Search for Moar $$$).

I do hope this version is available to buy as we want more Matt in this house (Mom isn’t into superheroes at all except for Matt in NWH. She keeps talking about him catching the brick.)

And below is the coolest shot of Tobey I’ve seen. Makes a great case for him to be Spider-Man Noir too.

Along with seeing Charlie as Matt (and the deleted scene with Matt & Happy will be included in this More Fun Stuff cut), Tobey was my favorite element of NWH, so I hope he gets another chance to be Peter (especially with Sam).

Last edited: Jun 13, 2022
    Sarge and Gamiel like this.
  22. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    Pretty crappy move on Sony's part, scrapping the already advertised deleted scenes from the home release to save for an extended theatrical re-release that they didn't bother announcing 'til after the home release hit, which will also surely then usher in a new home release to make people double dip on. I really hope the re-release doesn't totally eat the competition again, like the film did to Nightmare Alley on its original release last year. :rolleyes:

Master_Lok likes this.
  23. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Yeah I was royally p’d off by them pulling the deleted scenes on the initial release. I would have waited for a home release with the deleted scenes np. Couldn’t cancel my pre-order from Best Buy either.

Knowing the internet though, the second Matt Murdock scene will be online stat: So there is that.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2022
  24. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Mar 13, 2014
    I watched Spider-Man: Far From Home last night for the first time since seeing No Way Home. I immediately watched the start of No Way Home afterwards. It’s sort of amazing how well that works.

Movies with the kind of extra ending like Far From Home has can work as an entertaining exclamation point on an already fun movie. But that extra ending often paints the subsequent sequel into a corner it doesn’t know how manage. Then the sequel has to undo the extra ending, work around it, or ignore it / dismiss it.

Here Peter’s true identity being revealed to the world at the end of the previous movie sets the sequel on a fast track to success.

No Way Home swings right into the main plot thanks to the setup. We basically get the conclusion of the added ending scene from Far From Home and then a repeat / extension of MJ and Spidey swinging through and now under the city.

Three minutes into the movie Peter is back at his apartment with Happy, Aunt May, and MJ dealing with his identity no longer being secret. The main plot for the rest of the movie is in motion.

It frees up so much time in the movie. There is barely enough room for the movie to have five villains as is. The continuation of the previous movie means there doesn’t need to be an opening reintroduction or action scene to catch up the audience on where the characters are and get the plot into motion. Instead the movie gets right into how the world has changed for Spider-Man and his friends.

And it frees up so much precious time for a movie that really needs every minute.

I’m very curious what the extended cut will be like. No Way Home does a great job not feeling rushed while giving every character a moment in the spot light. Doc Ock and Green Goblin definitely are the two main antagonists. Then the other two Spider-Men take time being set up as supporting protagonists. This movie juggles a lot of characters. I wonder if more time will create an even fuller more complete film or if the seams start to show and the juggling begins to slip.

BigAl6ft6 and Sarge like this.
  25. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Mar 13, 2014
    So watching these movies back to backish….

What happened to EDITH, the Tony Stark Glasses, and all the resources that gives Peter? Did I forget something at the end of Far From Home?

Also while searching for the College Admissions Officer we hear that the Stark Network in Peter’s suit loses signal. I don’t think it ever comes back on.

Is that going to be a plot point in something later - the Stark Network going down? He it’s needed for the story to work.

Barriss_Coffee likes this.