main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Spider-Man & SSU Films (Madame Web, Venom 3, Kraven, Beyond the Spider-Verse)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Spiderfan, May 20, 2008.

1. sidious618

sidious618 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 20, 2003
    I emjoy Spiderman 3 the most but that may be because someone hit Kirstan Dunst and she's had that coming for the two movies before that.

2. gonzoforce

gonzoforce Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 27, 2002
    well, it was bound to happen. Take this with a grain of salt, Latino review is reporting that if Tobey Maguire does not come back for Spidey 4, they already have 2 potentional replacements, if he decides not to come back. And here are the 2 names, Patrick Fugit and Michael Angarano. Funny thing, they both appeared in Almost Famous, each playing the same character. Fugit played t the older William and Angarano played the younger version. Angarano was the lead kid in Sky High.

I think I reboot wouldn't be a bad idea, I did not like the 3rd film and at least this way we could hopefully get a proper version of MJ. I just couldn't by Dunst as MJ. Though they better keep JK simmions.

I doubt Raimi would be back if Maguire isn't there.

3. JedimasterMoon

JedimasterMoon Jedi Padawan star 4

May 4, 2005
    Wait wasn't Micheal in the Forbidden Kingdom? I prey they keep JK Simmons, he was incredble.

4. Spiderfan

Spiderfan Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 9, 2004
    Simmons is still their very best casting choice and quite possibly the best interpretation of Jameson to date. However Maguire and Dunst were both horrendous and definately need to be recast.

5. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Lizard is great, but I think if they had Venom survive and mutate into Carnage - in the hands of that Joker-esque psychopath who harasses Parker in both films...

Then I'd be much happier.

Carnage is the only Spidey villain, besides Venom, that's actually scary. :p

6. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    I think a movie invloving Lizard and Kraven would work. Just think, reports of a big Lizard terrorizing NYC could bring in Kraven to publicly hunt him. Spidey would have to try and protect Dr. Conners in his Lizard form from Kraven while they are both trying to fight him.

7. Spiderfan

Mar 9, 2004
    Well it depends on how you spin it. Don't forget both those characters came out of a much grittier time in comics when the popular trend was going to really dark places. But just about any Spidey villain can be tweaked enough to become a more formidable opponent. Look what Frank Miller did with the Kingpin in the pages of Daredevil.

As to Carnage surviving, we don't see the symbiont at all times so there are any number of oppurtunities that it could have multiplied...or a second suit could have crawled off the meteorite that brought Venom to earth.

8. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    Parker gave Connors a piece of the symbiote, so it's possible that it could have grown and/or replicated.

9. slimybug

slimybug Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 14, 2001
    Can't argue with you there. But I would definately say that Batman Begins and Iron Man are great for the same reasons. They show a complete and true origin sotry, taking their time to develop the character and show his foibles and motivations that lead him to becoming the hero.

Slimy!

10. Spiderfan

Mar 9, 2004
    You mistake my intentions. I am not suggesting that Iron Man is bad by any stretch of the imagination...quite the contrary actually. Its a fantastic film and the best Superhero movies since Batman Begins. But some people have a tendency of making a mountain out of a mole hill and I personally feel that some people are making this one seem bigger than it is. And after a period of time when things have calmed down, hindsight will provide a different perspective. I could be wrong but I don't feel I am. As far as I am concerned X2 and Spider-Man 2 still reign supreme as the top Marvel movies with X-Men in a close third and Iron Man in a close fourth.

11. Spiderfan

Mar 9, 2004

12. Crash_Davis

Crash_Davis Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 31, 2006
    I could be mistaken, but wasn't there an article a while back stating that Raimi wasn't interested in Spidey IV because he was interested trying to land the director gig for The Hobbit? Now that Del Toro has been picked for that project, maybe Raimi's plate is empty? [face_thinking]

I don't care who they pick, as long as they get a writer that can come up with some good smart-ass spider wit one-liners. That's been my only major complaint through this entire franchise thus far.

Well, okay, that and Topher Grace's girly little voice emanating from the hulking, monstrous body of Venom. [face_plain]

13. Spiderfan

Mar 9, 2004
    It was never confirmed he was trying for The Hobbit, in fact to the best of my knowledge that was fan speculation run wild. He has said for a while that he wants to come back for Spider-Man 4 if the studio is still interested but for the time being he need some time off.

Personally the dream writer/director for me would Joss Whedon.

14. Crash_Davis

Mar 31, 2006
    The same Joss Whedon who gave the world the abortion that was Alien Regurgitation[image=http://writebailiwick.files.wordpress.com/2008/01/330px-interrobang_fcm.png]

What he did to that franchise was unforgivable. [face_not_talking] I'm not sure I'd let him anywhere near a Spidey project. He might try and pull a Ben Riley storyline! :mad:

15. Spiderfan

Mar 9, 2004
    Apparently you've missed his masterful run on Astonishing X-Men which is arguably one of the best X-Books in years. When his screenplays are handed over to someone else they tend to miss the point resulting in lack luster results. Thus why I suggest he should also direct. His sense of humour and storytelling tends to be a cut above the rest and he has a knack for very nuanced characters. Say what you will about his entry in the Alien saga, but he has done enough other projects to demonstrate his immense talent. I would also think that the Director Jean-Pierre Jeunet deserves at least some of the blame.

Not to mention the few moments that Spidey appears in Giant Sized Astonishing X-Men are better than the majority of the stuff happening recently in his own line.

16. Crash_Davis

Mar 31, 2006
    Of course I haven't, comic books are for kids! :p

I heard he's done Firefly, but I've never seen any of those. Buffy also, never caught any of those, either. :(

Cut me some slack, with four daughters, my house is filled with Disney Princesses, not cool sci-fi stuff.

Although I have been getting them to watch Spectacular Spider-Man on the WB/C4kids (or whatever the hell that network's called now.

The other day my four-year-old came up to me and said "Daddy, Spider-Man's girlfriend calls him "Tiger".

:D

17. Spiderfan

Mar 9, 2004
    Firefly/Serenity was brilliant, and while I was never a fan of Buffy I still see that same level of quality. His stuff for Astonishing X-Men is some of the best writing in the Marvel Bullpen. Its sad to see him leave Astonishing but I am hoping his run on Runaways will be equally epic. He also commented about Alien Resurrection that they dramatically missed the mark of what he had written: "People assume that, if I hated it, then they?d changed the script...but it wasn?t so much that they?d changed the script; it?s that they just executed it in such a ghastly fashion as to render it almost unwatchable." I have faith in his work and given his humour and penchant for drama I think he can tell a fantastic Spider-Man tale.

Spectacular Spider-Man has exceeded my expectations and has quickly become one of my most beloved shows, not just because of the subject matter but because of the attention to detail. My only real beef with it so far is that they drop these delicious hints about characters and where they are going, but the development of those stories so far has seemed to end rather abruptly. Its good writing, I just would like to see the story lines drawn out a little more a villain arc to be more than two or three episodes. Hopefully season 2 will see growth in that area and there are still dozens of characters mentioned or seen that have yet to cross over in the superhuman realm. Can't wait.

18. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    Personally, I think Spider-Man 4 may be served best with Lizard and Morbius. Then we can have Kraven and Carnage in Spider-Man 5.

19. slimybug

Aug 14, 2001
    Waaaaait a minute. You've never watched Firefly, Buffy, or Angel, nor have you read Astonishing X-Men or Runaways, and yet you have the unmitigated gall to complain about Joss Whedon because "Wha wha, he wrote Alien Ressurection."
    This is why politicians get into so much trouble. They don't know what they're talking about.

I mean hell, if we all judged Frank Miller on RoboCop 3, where would we be?

EDIT: And besides, what the hell was so bad about Alien: Ressurection anyway? Other than the fact that it followed the events of Alien 3. Last time I checked, Alien 3...Oh, excuse me, Alien Cubed, was the film tha tmurdered the franchise. And by "murdered" I mean brutally stabbed, shot, sodomized, poisoned, castrated, clubbed over the head repeatedly, and finally drowned. The franchise is like Grigori Rasputin. It survived all that, but it's really bad now.

Slimy!

Slimy!

20. Crash_Davis

Mar 31, 2006
    What you refer to "unmitigated gall" is just my $0.02, slimy. I can only base my opinion, (which is all it is), based on what I've seen. If I get the opportunity to watch any of those shows, or read the comics, my opinion may very well change.

Must have hit pretty close to the mark to get you all riled up like that, slimy! :p

21. slimybug

Aug 14, 2001
    I know you can't read it in text very well, but the "unmitigated gall" comment was kind of self-mocking. I'm not really that angry. ;)

EDIT: But yes, Joss Whedon does pwn you and everyone else in the known universe.

Slimy!

22. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000

23. Crash_Davis

Mar 31, 2006
    I disliked Alien Superscript 3 from the getgo upon it's release, but like broccoli, it's kind of an acquired taste. Not my favorite in the original series, but certainly not the worst.

I agree with you, rummy, the workprint version on the Quad is 100x better than the theatrical version!

24. Spiderfan

Mar 9, 2004

25. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    I still haven't seen Spider-Man 3 yet. Now that some time has passed, have people's views on that movie softened at all?