main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Spider-Man: The Animated Series

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by Jedi_Master_Conor, Apr 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Master_Conor

Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 24, 2005
    [image=http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d76/jedimasterronoc/5956.jpg]

figured since I started one for the X-Men animated series i figured Spiderman deserved one to. these set of cartoons were some of my favorite during the mid/late 90's. loved how the characters were portrayed. especially when they brought venom into the show

2. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    Out of all the comic book cartoons of the 90s, this one was my favourite. I've seen every episode of it and I just hope that they'll release the complete seasons on DVD soon.

3. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    This show was great. I particularly liked seeing Venom - that was my introduction to the character and he's been one of my favourites ever since :)

4. Son of the Suns

Son of the Suns Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 6, 1999
    I used to like this show a lot. But I looked at some of the episodes recently and the show just hasn't stood the test of time. Particularly the last few seasons... The whole stuff with Madame Web was pretty ridiculous. And as cool as it was to see Stan Lee in that final episode, they handled it in a pretty cheesy fashion.

I also never cared for some of the character designs. Even in flashbacks to before he became Spider-Man, they always showed Peter to be "buff" and not at all nerdy.

5. RolandofGilead

RolandofGilead Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 17, 2001
    I felt like it was Marvel's attempt at a Batman type semi-adult series. At least some of the time it worked, but I agree that the character designs were bad. If I could think of one really positive thing, it would be that I believe this was the first time Spider-man appeared as his twisty, gymnastic, and jumping self. The one negative would be their treatment of the Punisher.

6. Master_Jedi80

Master_Jedi80 Jedi Youngling star 3

May 27, 2005
    This show did it all for me! I loved it!! and I only wish they released every episode/season in order
    as opposed to these "best of/face off" DVD sets they release now...

I hadnt really gotten into comics when i came across this show, so this was my first true look inside the world of Spider-man.
    I could quickly relate to his personal struggles, and i loved the guest appearances of other marvel heroes and villains. I love guest heroes or Spidey vs a good guy for a while, and when the baddies fight amongst themselves. This was always a draw towards the marvel universe that i felt this show represented brilliantly.

I feel the animation itself, isnt anything great, but i found the stories to be amazing. I dont get hung up on the animation as a judge of the show, unless it bothers me (like Ralph Bakshi's "flight to the ford" sequence in the LOTR cartoon)

I really enjoy TV series, that have stories/themes continue from episode to episode. This series went above and beyond. The continuous plot lines and interweaving stories gave me what i always wanted from teh Batman animated series.
    I also loved the voices of Spider-Man (greg brady from the movies) and the King Pin (behold the power of cheese commercials) and feel the ultimate retelling of Spidey Lore was well done.

I actually liked the Madam Webb Stuff at the end, even if it was a little rediculous, because i really and absolutely love the
    Secret Wars episodes plotline. It reminded of an action figure line from my childhood. Then how the secret wars led to the spider wars to end the series. Although borderline rediculous, i just found extremely fun to watch, with all the different "versions of what spidey could be like"...

I was never thrilled with the episodes about that kid with the Gyro Skateboard, and "The Prowler" but looking back, they were okay.

Again, during my first exposer to this show, i had limited spidey outlets to compare it too. Once introduced to Spideys world, i feel in love and never looked back. Spider-Man is by far my favorite super hero (he replaced batman incase you are curious)

For me, this show ranks up there with some of my all time favorite cartoons with TMNT and Smurfs, Gi Joe up there with it.

7. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    if there was one thing i didn't like was the last 3 episodes of the series. the clones and stuff didn't make any sense to me and made it seem a little silly for me

8. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    It didn`t really follow the comic well but the animation was fantastic and it had the perfect comic book feel to it

9. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    this was actually my first introduction to Spiderman. then there was the comic strip in the newspaper back home but they cancelled it a year or 2 ago :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.