main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Spider-Man: The New(ish) Animated Series

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by JediMasterGuff, Jan 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediMasterGuff

JediMasterGuff Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 18, 2002
    I heard a lot of bad things about 2003's MTV animated series, but I was in my local super-market and saw it on sale for only £5, so decided to pick it up. I've only watched the first two episodes, but it still saddens me that it only lasted 1 season :(

OK, so the theme tune is ****, and the occasional shot looks iffy, but generally I like the animation. It's a nice change, and this time around they dared to go darker compared to the 90s series.

And just look at the guest stars! John C. McGinley, Jeffrey Combs, Michael Dorn (Ka'plah!), James Marsters (this one really surprised me) and they even got Michael Clarke Duncan to reprise his role as the Kingpin.

Sad to see that due to the short length of the series, we never got to them tackle the Venom storyline.

Surely I can't be the only fan of the series?

2. RolandofGilead

RolandofGilead Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 17, 2001
    I thought it was ok. Sad to say, but Spider-man's never had the best results with TV. The original 60s cartoon was great when I was 4, but now it's really hard to watch. Spiderman and his amazing friends is a great snapshot of Marvel in the 80s, but still pretty bad. The modern show on Fox was sometimes ok. At least it tried to stay true to the comics when feasable. What they did with Frank Castle is unforgivable though.

3. obi_webb

obi_webb Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 2005
    i'm a big fan of the show.. such great potential that never was realized.... ah well, i'll always have it on dvd!

4. DVeditor

DVeditor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2001
    I concur - it's too bad that previous TV shows never really did well. I was a fan of the earlier series but haven't really paid that much attention to the most recent ones. Then again, you never know when a Spiderman revolution might hit. ;)

5. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Blame the overtly sensitive folks at Fox Kids for doing that. Though logically, you can't do the Punisher for mainstream television. He needs to be like Spawn and on HBO, where he can kill just like in the comics and films.

6. Sn4tcH

Sn4tcH Jedi Master star 4

Oct 22, 2004
    But don't forget, Spawn on HBO was like the opposite in censorship. They kept asking for more sex and violence than Todd wanted. Luckiy by the third movie he had control of it again. But the first two one were so un-Spawn-like it's sad.

Btw, maybe it's just me remembering it through child-like eyes... but wasn't the 90's Spidey show pretty popular? I remember the toys, and I remember having a ton of them.

7. Son of the Suns

Son of the Suns Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 6, 1999
    I absolutely hated the MTV Animated Series. Being on MTV, they couldn't resist making everything "hip", sacrificing any faithfulness to the films or the comics. Some of the atrocious things they did were bringing in a super-annoying hip hop caricature villain (voiced by Eve), having Peter Parker sleep with some random girl and having Mary Jane discover a decapitated body. As if the stories weren't bad enough, the annoying cel shaded animation, coupled with the Scooby Doo-ish tendency of having the characters wear the same clothes in every episode, made for a cheap looking show. I'm glad it got cancelled.

8. Walken

Walken Jedi Padawan star 4

May 3, 2004
    Wait...there was a Spawn 2 and 3?

9. Sn4tcH

Sn4tcH Jedi Master star 4

Oct 22, 2004
    Yeah, there were three Spawn cartoon movies. You can find the box set at any Best Buy or any place with a decent film section in general.

10. Walken

Walken Jedi Padawan star 4

May 3, 2004
    Oh, I thought he meant the live action films....I knew there was supposed to be a Spawn 2, but never saw it come out.

11. Atticus

Atticus Jedi Padawan star 4

May 31, 2002
    I liked it and wish it was on longer. I didnt watch it when it was on tv, but borrowed my stepbros dvd and thought it was pretty good. Definately better then the other spiderman cartoons, although I must say I was a fan of those too when they were on.

I would also like ot add that it was a heck of a lot better then The Amazing Spider-Man show that was on CBS in the late 1970's with Nicholas Hammond. Talk about crap.

12. weezer

weezer Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 16, 2001
    Movies? Do you mean the animated series that was on HBO?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.