main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One [Spoilers] Inconsistencies with the rest of the saga

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by 11-4D, Dec 14, 2016.

1. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    Not necessary.

La Calavera and CT1138 like this.
  2. darthjj88

darthjj88 Jedi Master star 2

Oct 31, 2012
    According to "Lost Stars" there was at least 3 weeks between Scarif and Leia getting captured. Is there any confirmation on the time between the 2 movies?

3. Darth Mikey

Darth Mikey Jedi Master star 3

Sep 7, 2015
    Really? I assumed like maybe a day or so at most. 3 weeks seems like an awful long time for Leia to get to Tattooine.

4. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    A hyperdrive jump.
    The Tantive zaps off to Tatooine, and Leia prepares to shuttle down to Obi Wan.
    The local Imperial Air Traffic Controllers spot the ship in orbit and report back to Vader.
    The Devastator zaps to Tatooine, chases for a bit then catches in in a tractor beam.

Considering all the Rules that have built up around Hyperspace (and have been broken), the sequence doesn't quite work, but hey, artistic licence.

I think.

So, maybe there was a time delay?
    The Tantive flies back to Yavin to sort a few things out first?

Snafu55 and vncredleader like this.
  5. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    THREAD MERGE.

6. Among the Clouds

Among the Clouds Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 18, 2001
    According to Leland Chee it's only hours... not three weeks.

Vialco and themoth like this.
  7. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    That works better.

8. Millennium Falcon 888

Millennium Falcon 888 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 6, 2016
    Yes, seems more logical... Because looking at the ending of Rogue One and how seamlessly it merges into the opening of A New Hope, it can't be so many weeks before the Imperial Star Destroyer catches up... So logically, a timeframe of several hours is most appropriate!

Sent from MillenniumFalcon.exe using Tapatalk

vncredleader and Jim Smith like this.
  9. darthjj88

Oct 31, 2012
    Well that's a pretty big screw up from the story group then because Ciena was not at scarif and she says she was on the Devastator for 3 weeks before they captured Leia in ANH. I need to see Pablo's answer to this cannon issue.

10. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Maybe Ciena was in a minor role on the ship, before being moved to the auxiliary bridge - hence not seeing the battle.

11. darthjj88

Oct 31, 2012
    That is an explanation that I keep hearing, but I find it very hard to believe that she would be involved in that big battle to protect the plans and not even know about it.

12. Sauntaero

Sauntaero Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 9, 2003
    Kind of like a capital ship transporting the royal family of Alderaan wouldn't drop it somewhere outside the battle....

13. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    Yeah especially with them going out of their way to place Tatooine close enough to scarif that it would logically only take about 5 hours or so.

14. james92rogers

james92rogers Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 23, 2015

The Devastator only arrived right at the end, maybe she was sleeping as they popped in for a quick battle and didn't realise

15. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Considering the hugeness of the crew (over 36000, not counting infantry), it actually makes sense that they would be working in shifts. And thus, that she wasn't on the duty shift at the time.

PCCViking likes this.
  16. Hernalt

Hernalt Force Ghost star 4

Jun 29, 2000
    I googled this and see the passage in a book called Lost Stars.

Does new canon media offer a physical location on the Devastator for this auxiliary bridge?

17. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Ciena is present for the escape pod scene "hold your fire- there's no lifeforms aboard" - then has to take a lift trip up to the main bridge - so it will be some way below.

On the Resurgent-class, the 'Emergency bridge" is forward of the main bridge, and in the centre of the ship's hull - receiving all its input from sensors. Imperial-class may be the same.

18. Hernalt

Jun 29, 2000
    Ok. So as of right now there is not any ICS diagram locating it specifically, where, on a Devastator. Is there any indication that this secondary bridge also resides in the bridge superstructure (what I call the hammerhead), rather than down in or on the main superstructure (the fortress levels lying on top of the long wedge)?

19. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Given that the lift passes through a lot of levels, I would suspect the fortress levels - even if it can't be confirmed.

20. Hernalt

Jun 29, 2000
    Ok. A candidate secondary bridge is available from the mandate of the ILM studio Avenger model, which gave the mandate for the primary (prolate) bridge. Going by eye it would require an elevator ride of 6 or 7 levels, from the chin of the hammerhead to the primary bridge. But if the secondary bridge is in the midships superstructure, that is not inconsistent with the clinical definition of conning towers on early WW2 battleships (closer to the mandate of Roosevelt white-painted dreadnoughts cited by Colin Cantwell). Those (thick armored, round) conning towers were forward of the control superstructure, lower than the main unarmored bridge, and rear of the forward main guns. The source for the South Dakota image also shows that the conning tower's presence can depend on role. Later battleship designs (Iowa) placed the conning tower inside the bridge rather than forward of it.

HMS Hood:
    [​IMG]

USS South Dakota conning tower
    [​IMG]

Sarge likes this.
  21. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    Not necessarily a contradiction as its not canon, but I thought this was interesting. I finally got round to buying the complete SW Radio broadcast trilogy on CD. The original film is heavily expanded from the movie with additional scenes added. But it begins with Leia being held up by the Imperials on Raltair where she comes across a wounded Rebel solider who tells them about the Empires new project (the Death Star), Leia smuggles him on to the Tantive IV before the Imperials tell her they are free to leave. Subequently in a meeting with Bail Organa he tells Leia that the Rebels have captured the plans after a large battle and they need to go and retireve them and also stop off at Tatooine to pick up Obi-Wan. Leia then takes the Tantive IV to a planet, (which is under Imperial control), where the plans are beamed to the ship from the planets surface. The Devastator is there and as the Tantive makes it escape it follows the ship through hyperspace to Tatooine. Leia thinks that one of her soldiers on the ship is a traitor and planted a homing beacon for the Imperials to follow so she only trusts a droid with the plans.

22. Jester J Binks

Jester J Binks Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2016
    Now I'm going to have to go listen to that.

23. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    I found the script for R1 and ANH on the Internet just to be sure to remember exactly what was said in both movies:

IMPERIAL OFFICER
    The rebel flag ship is disabled, my lord,
    but has received transmission from the surface.

VADER
    Prepare a boarding party.

IMPERIAL OFFICER
    Yes, my lord.

So Vader really "traced" the trasmission, but to the Profundity. Since Tantive IV was docked inside the Profundity, the weird part happens when in ANH Vader treats the Tantive as if it was the Profundity:

IMPERIAL OFFICER
    The Death Star plans are not in the
    main computer.

VADER
    Where are those transmissions you
    intercepted?
    What have you done with those plans?

REBEL OFFICER
    We intercepted no transmissions.
    Aaah... This is a consular ship.
    We're on a diplomatic mission.

then

VADER Don't play games with me, Your
    Highness. You weren't on any mercy
    mission this time. You passed directly through a restricted system. << this has also become strange given the facts
    Several transmissions were beamed to this
    ship by Rebel spies. I want to know
    what happened to the plans they sent
    you.

and

VADER
    I have traced the Rebel spies to
    her. Now she is my only link to find
    their secret base!

So I would love to know the official word for these apparent mismatches.

24. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    When Vader says the plans were "beamed" aboard the ship he means that he watched as some panicky soldier "ran really fast" on to the ship, carrying the plans.

His ANH dialogue is not at all contradicted by Rogue One... from a certain point of view.

25. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Maybe "beam" has a slightly different meaning in the GFFA.

"Could you beam me the ketchup, please?"