main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[spoilers!] Indiana Jones IV

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by StarDude, Feb 28, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Telemachos

Telemachos Jedi Youngling star 2

May 21, 2002
    From Coming Attractions:
    [i[May 29, 2002... Here's the news we've been waiting for to snap us out of these "too good to be true" blues. Some developments behind-the-scenes at Lucasfilm have resulted in two important developments. First of all, Frank Darabont has now signed the dotted line and will write Indy 4. Expect the announcement to break any day now, but we know it to be official already. Also, the studio has selected a release date we can also tell you is solid. The legacy of Indiana Jones will continue on July 4, 2005.

This information comes to us from one of our most reliable sources and we do not have any doubts.[/i]

2. DarthHutt

DarthHutt Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 2, 2000
    WOW!
    EP3 and IJ4 coming out in the same year!
    Cool!

3. DarthMaul13

DarthMaul13 Jedi Youngling star 4

Nov 26, 1998
    Indy 4 and Episode 3 will be going head to head... :eek:

4. Sapno Krei

Sapno Krei Jedi Grand Master star 3

Feb 23, 1999
    I think GL and co. shouldn't consider doing INDY IV unless they're going to go all the way and do a whole new trilogy.

Otherwise, we'd have "The Indy Trilogy" and "The One Where He's Old". Lethal Weapon 4 anyone?

I would love to see a series of films detailing Indy's exploits as an older man living in the 1950s.

5. prof_frink

prof_frink Jedi Grand Master star 3

Feb 1, 1999
    From tvguide.com

Oscar-nominated writer/director Frank Darabont ("The Shawshank Redemption") has signed on to create a dazzling screenplay for the fourth Indiana Jones adventure. His key experience? A staff position on TV spinoff "The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles."

http://www.tvguide.ca/newsgossip/today/index.html#Anchor2

6. rpeugh

rpeugh Force Ghost star 4

Apr 10, 2002
    I'm glad they are making another one. There is just not enough them even with this new one. I was wondering, do you think it will use as much cgi as the new SW movies, or any at all?

7. SY-SNOOTLES

SY-SNOOTLES Jedi Youngling star 3

May 16, 2002
    I personally wish that they would NOT make another Indy. I loved the other three Indy films and feel that they would not be able to make one that would live up to all the hype that will surround Indy 4.

What could it possibly be about? I heard that Willie (Kate Capshaw) is going to be the lead lady in it again. How can this be? They can't possibly have it set anytime in the 1930's. It would have to be late 1940's or early 1950's given Harrison Ford's age. He isn't looking that young anymore folks.

Perhaps he will be fighting against some Communists or something. And Marcus won't be there! What's an Indy movie without Marcus?

BYE!

8. JEDIJAY1221

JEDIJAY1221 Jedi Youngling

Jun 9, 2002
    I too think it is not needed, but the movies are just so awesome! There will never be a trilogy where all three are as good as the next.
    I just don't want to see them make a four have it suck like the Phantom Menace.

Just give me the three on DVD and i'll be happy.

I don't want #4 to look like that wannabe Indy, the mummy

jaymicallef.com

9. jedi4500

jedi4500 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 12, 2002
    jedijay...u are a Star Trek fan in disguise...

10. JEDIJAY1221

Jun 9, 2002
    no i'm not, but aren't you the guy who is petioning for WATTO the movie?

11. jedi4500

jedi4500 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 12, 2002
    "What do u think, your some kind of a JEDI?" (in watto's voice)

12. MadMardigan

MadMardigan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2001
    I'm actually quite fearful of Indy 4 for a number of reasons.

1) Lucas and Spielberg are no longer the filmmakers they once were. I enjoyed Jurassic Park (Spielberg's last good "fun" movie) but it was no where near the quality of the Spielberg of old. The PT speaks for Lucas's abilities. Love it or hate it, the PT does not even approach the OT.

2) Ford. What happened to him? He used to be an endearing, charismatic film presesnce. Now whenever I see him on onscreen he appears as a grumpy old codger. I have yet to see even a glimmer of Han Solo or Indy since The Fugitive.

3) I just watched the Indy trilogy this weekend. These films (especially Raiders) has this look about them as if they were made in the 30's. I'm not just talking about the EFX but the framing, lenses and film stocks used. I'm afraid Indy 4 will look too modern as opposed to looking more like its pulpy serial roots.

4) Too many toys at their disposable. i enjoyed the Indy movies for their amazing stunt work. For the wonder of the practical EFX. Say what you want about CGI, but CGI kinda takes away the "how did they do that element" of Special Effects. I'm afraid Indy 4 will look more like the CGI world of Star Wars than the real world of Indy. More importantly, CGI enables the filmmaker to do anything. The opening of the Ark sequence would probably look more like the Mummy today than it does in the film.

One of the greatest scenes in the Indy movies is when Indy shoots the sword wielder. This scene resulted from running out of time and Spielberg needed a way to get it done with quickly. If the film were made today, this scene would probably be the original fight since they could CGI it in post.

5) Why ruin the legacy? If Indy 4 is great, fantastic. But if not? Last Crusade closed out the Indy trilogy on a high note. Why change it?

6) No longer a trilogy. Now I won't be able to say my favorite movies are the Holy Trinity of Holy Trilogies; SW, Indy and Godfathers.

On a side note what if Indy 4 is Indiana Jones and the Sword of Excalibur?

13. JEDIJAY1221

Jun 9, 2002
    I like the Excalibur idea, but i think they should stick to the Bible.

On a down note, if Lucas has to do with it, it will probably be Indiana Jones and the axe that chopped down the cherry tree.
    all he cares about is making movies for little kiddies.

that last post changed my mind. Leave it as is.

14. Grieve

Grieve Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 30, 2002
    "2) Ford. What happened to him? He used to be an endearing, charismatic film presesnce. Now whenever I see him on onscreen he appears as a grumpy old codger. I have yet to see even a glimmer of Han Solo or Indy since The Fugitive."

I think this has to do with the roles he has been getting. Come to think of it, there really haven't been any movies with a Han Solo/Indy type character at all. How do you know Ford still can't pull it off?

15. MadMardigan

MadMardigan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2001
    I don't know if Ford can still pull it off. But just seeing him in interviews and on screen, he just seems so bored and grumpy all the time. It should be interesting.

16. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    I don't know if Ford can still pull it off. But just seeing him in interviews and on screen, he just seems so bored and grumpy all the time. It should be interesting.

He's a good enough actor to erase any hints of boredom when he's in front of the camera. Sean Connery(who played his father) is still in good shape.

17. dolphin

Nov 5, 1999
    imdb and darkhorizons are reporting that Calista Flockhart is in negotiations to play, *gasp" the main love interest! Please say it is Indy Jr.'s and NOT Indiana Jones himself.

18. Bresson

Bresson Jedi Youngling star 3

May 16, 2002
    I almost entirely disagree with MadMardigan (kinda like Bart Simpson getting straight A's and saying "that ain't not bad")

Harrison Ford is a washed up, overpaid, old grump. But that's what would make Indiana Jones funny. He's always been a grumpy character and his poker face reaction to all the outrageous things happening around him has always been one of the keys to the character. Imagine how intolerable the movies would be if Ford played them broadly? I think if they deal with the age issue--a given--Ford will be fine. I mean, it's not like he's being asked to play Hamlet.

Spielberg and Lucas not the filmmakers they used to be? Umm...SCHINDLER'S LIST, SAVING PRIVATE RYAN, and MINORITY REPORT? Spielberg aces everyone except Scorsese on a consistent basis these days. Indy 4 should be a walk in the park compared to those other films. Lucas's merits can be debated unto infinity. I really enjoy the PTs, though not as much as the OT, and I'll never know if that's the merits of the film or a sign of age.

Too much CGI? Maybe true in the STAR WARS movies, but Spielberg's a better filmmaker than to let effects run the set. He's probably the best at incorporating and rationalizing the use of effects in an everyday environment.

And THE LAST CRUSADE a high note? IMO, that movie was a low note, not only in the INDY series, but in Spielberg/Lucas careers. Lazy acting, story, effects, production values, etc. It reeked of everyone phoning it in. Just look at the effects of that bi plane sequence...even back then at my tender young age, I realized it was a bad effect. And the absolutely horrible cinematography by the otherwise talented Douglas Slocombe still leaves a bad taste in my mouth. As does the silly "cameo" by Hitler, which I'm sure even Spielberg wishes he hadn't done. I just like to pretend THE LAST CRUSADE never happened. So in a sense, INDY 4 will be 3, to me.

19. PloKloon1138

PloKloon1138 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 5, 2001
    I love the Indy trilogy. But, having said that, I don't look upon Indy's story as a trilogy. Each movie stands alone, has its own situations and characters.

I'd love to see Indy IV. I don't think Indy's story will ever be over.

20. dolphin

Nov 5, 1999
    I agree with the poster who said the Indy films are not designed to be a trilogy, just seperate episodes. I welcome a new addition to the franchise, I just hope they retire the character if this is the last one Harrison is willing to do. I don't want any other actor playing Indy. Harrison Ford IS Indiana Jones.

21. Luke_Clone

Luke_Clone Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 15, 2002
    Good god just because Lucas is making the film doesn't mean that it is going to be CGI laden... the only reason Star Wars has so much CGI because it happens in A GALAXY FAR FAR AWAY. Not on Earth.

They won't need much CGI at all for Indy and as Spielberg is directing it he will keep it true to the "traditional effects" style of the other three films.

If you go in with expectations for this film like TPM you are going to be disappointed. Anyone who wasn't disappointed with TPM must have been spoiled silly and knew what TPM was going to be like before they saw it.

I'm going to enter the movie theater, come the Summer of 2005, to have fun. If Indy IV is fun I won't be too picky and I'll try to keep my expectations in check. Really I think this sequel is shaping up to be a 20th year reunion for the stars of the Indy trilogy but what's wrong with that? Mash reunions are always fun to watch. ;)

now end Luke_Clone rant.

22. dolphin

Nov 5, 1999
    Why does Spielberg consider Raiders of the Lost Ark to be his when Lucas produced/wrote story? When Best Picture oscars are announced, the producer gets up and accepts because it is his picture. Spielberg might claim Indy IV for himself. LOL :)

"He knows I've got Jurassic Park and Raiders. But George has Star Wars and I don't think he feels inclined to share any of it with me!'" link

23. StarDude

StarDude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 28, 2001
    I went into TPM with the knowledge of only 10.5% of the story. I expected it to be just as good as any other Star Wars film. IMO, it was. I went out thrilled, schocked with excitement. To me, it's the most magical of all the Star Wars films...the sad thing is that I've gotten flamed many times for feeling this way.

24. Worldapart1967

Worldapart1967 Jedi Youngling

Mar 11, 2002
    I agree with you StarDude. I do not think they should make another Indiana Jones movie. I loved Raiders (one of my alltime favs!) and Love Harrison Ford, but he is just too old for the part and I also think the movie just would not be good.

25. StarDude

StarDude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 28, 2001
    Well, I'm conflicted on the matter. I like the idea of another Indy but I think Last Crusade had a lot of magic in it and in it's ending and in order to keep the Indy franchise and not cheapen it, they would have to outdo Last Crusade and I don't see how they can pull that off easily.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.