main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:NSW [SPOILERS] Post your movie review of Revenge Of The Sith here!

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by Ki-Bara-Mundi, May 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. i_love_ani

i_love_ani Jedi Youngling

May 18, 2005
    hehe im taking today off

2. JediEnna

JediEnna Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 25, 2000
    This film was always going to be heavy, but the tension and drama were quite amazing for me. It was really heartbreaking seeing Obi-wan begging Yoda not to make hime kill Ani - what a thing to do!

There was definitely a massive improvement in character and in most of the dialogue. Ani and Padme were no longer "Mills and Boons", as someone put it (thank God!), and Ani barely whined at all (it's clear where Luke got it...).

The only thing I would change is Anakin's moment of choice. The motives were all there, so cleverly set up by Palpatine, but it all fell over too fast. A little more agonising, a little more prodding by Palpatine was needed. It sort of went straight from "What have I done?" to "Yes my master". A little more indecision, a couple of manipulative reminders about Padme would have been good here.

I loved the lightning scars!

I was floored by the confrontation between Ani, Padme and Obi-wan. It really shows how the dark side twist things around to selfishness. He didn't want to save Padme for herself, he wanted to do it for himself, and he wanted to possess her utterly - better she die than turn to Obi-wan or escape him. Amazing scene, truly amazing.

The Vader bit at the end...while it really did seem odd (and that "no" didn't quite work), I'm with Matt. Until he learns Padme is dead, Ani is still Ani, who loves and feels for another. The anger, despair and betrayal of learning she "died" at his hand was the final event that turned him into the soulless monster that is Darth Vader in ANH. Nothing else will touch his heart again...until Luke that is.

Speaking of Luke, it's OT time! The bridge is made, and those to lousy prequels are finally worth it. I think I'll leave Ep3 for a week or two before seeing it again (too exhausting!) but the old OT videos (or maybe even those wretched dvds) will be pulled out very shortly.

:D =D= :D =D=

3. Scoot

Scoot Jedi Master star 4

Dec 30, 2002
    Im in utter state of speechless-ness. I have been since the credits rolled this morning. The film was an absolutly true fun time. I was worried, with all the darkness in the film, that there wouldn't be much of this quirky chatter between the characters and some 'fun' star wars moments. I was wrong. The opening 20 minutes or so whilst rescuing the Chancellor was a whole lot of fun. That opening shot :eek: SO GOOD! (I really feel for those people in the control tower that got smacked when Anakin was landing the Invisible Hand on Coruscant)

The shots of Anakin and Padme almost looking at each other across Coruscants horizon was awesome, as Anakin comtemplates going to save the Chancellor!

Then everything just seemed to slide in place. The Temple purge. Order 66. "The First Galactic Empire". The Tantive 4. It just all fitted so well. And the Battle on Kashyyk was pretty darn cool :D

The moment Anakin and Obi-wan ignited their sabres, and Battle of the Heroes started, I was shivering. The moment we have been waiting to see ever since everybodies first viewing of ANH. How it all happened. I wasn't disappointed. The fight was awesome :D I did feel tho that that Yoda vs Sidious fight was kind of disrupting to Anakin vs Obi wan, but it was great non the less. One of my favourite shots of the whole film would have been Yoda crawling throught that shaft. Looking so small, weak, and defeated. "Into Exile I must go!".

The ending was just brilliant. Personally I didn't mind the "Nooo" at all. And the moment I heard Darth Vader say "Padme", it changed the way I viewed Vader forever. This mechanical evil had a heart.

As the movie rounded out of the last new Star Wars ever I was back in 1977. Disco was everywhere :p And there of course was A New Hope. The dropping off of both Luke and Leia was nice, would have liked to have seen Obi-wan riding off into the sunset, but can't complain :D

All in all teriffic film, , Im still absorbing it :D

Did everybody spot the like cool stuff, like the falcon, which I think was when they were returning the Chancellor to the senate. And Lucas was to the left of the door (blue alien) when Anakin runs into Palpatines box at the opera, and Lucas's son was the Jedi that was gunned down by clones as Bail Organa watched!

4. Ki-Bara-Mundi

Ki-Bara-Mundi Jedi Master star 6

Nov 27, 2000
    Well I'm keen to see it again, I'm still having problems digesting the movie. I want to see it again today, but for now, I'll try and post my thoughts on the good, the bad, and the ugly. :)

THE GOOD
    - The opening shot of the movie. What a rollercoaster ride! I was waiting for that shot to cut to something else, but it just kept going, and going, and going!
    - Obi-Wan and Anakin's buddycop routine. The friendly stuff before things turn sour.
    - Anakin and Padme. We get to see them starting off as a couple madly in love, almost Romeo & Juliet as they try to keep their marriage a secret. It's also amazing to see the extremes Anakin will go to to keep his wife away from harm (and eventually how those emotions will consume him).
    - The Clone War. They're epic battles fought across the galaxy, and we get to see just how much of a stranglehold Palpatine has over the Republic. There's troopers everywhere, and they're ready to execute his grand plan at a moment's notice.
    - The direction. Some moments in this film feel like a very different Star Wars, a much more old-school George Lucas. There were parts that reminded me of THX-1138.
    - The colour palette. What a visually stunning movie! Maybe it was watching it in digital, but the colours and the quality of the images looked fantastic.
    - Artoo. Ask me again why he's my favourite character. ;)
    - Lines in the OT now taking on new meaning. "Wars not make one great" is a classic example for me.
    - The last shot of the movie. Lucas has said time and again that the binary sunset shot in ANH is his favourite moment in the movies, and this is a great homage to it.

THE BAD
    - Copy-paste Temura's head on CG clonetrooper armour. What's the matter with just making the costume?
    - Maybe this is just me, but I hoped Palpatine wouldn't use a lightsabre. I thought his power lay completely in his mastery of the Force, using it to manipulate and attack others without the use of a weapon. I'll live with it, but my initial reaction is shying away from backflipping, swordfighting Palpy.
    - Continuity. Leia remembers her mother even thought she was born moments before Padme's death? Obi-Wan was known as Ben since before Luke was born? They could be explained away (Leia uses the Force to remember her mother, Obi-Wan using that certain point of view excuse), but I'd rather the movies did that rather than leave it to the EU or (worse yet) fanboy explainations. :p

THE UGLY
    - Palpatine. Wrinkly, wrinkly Palpatine.
    - Ki died! Nooo Ki!
    - Palpatine. Yellow, British teeth Palpatine.

5. Sith Magician

Sith Magician Jedi Master star 5

Sep 14, 1999
    How did R2 lose his jets? I missed it.

He didn't, But there was nowhere in the OT for him to have used them, and before you say when he fell in the swamp at Dagobah, go watch that scene carefully again with that question in mind ;)

6. T-K-421

T-K-421 Jedi Youngling

May 15, 2002
    Could somebody explain this, in one of the final scenes we see Darth Vader and the Emperor on the bridge out of the window in space we can see the Death Star, looking about one third built, does this mean it took them another 18 years to build the thing after this? I know government contracts aren?t renowned for being the fastest but surely this is taking union tea breaks to the max

7. Kalor_Voe

Kalor_Voe Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 10, 2000
    Have you ever tried to get a tradesman in? multiply THAT time wasting by several thousand :)

8. Sith Magician

Sith Magician Jedi Master star 5

Sep 14, 1999
    [/i]looking about one third built,[/i]

Looked closer to about 3% to me, all I saw was framework, compare that image to the diagram in the cross sections book...

9. TheOzhaggis

TheOzhaggis Jedi Master star 5

Nov 1, 2000

Ok, I got home at 8am and have only had 4 hours sleep in about 36 hours, so I won't even try to think about it much - I'll do that later.

So here is my 30 second rant:

WOW WOW WOW

This is up there with the best of SW.

My only real complaint was the dodgy FX, especially the digital masking of stunt doubles and clone troopers. And some of the other cg stuff looked very unnatural. But I can overlook that.

Loved it, off to see it again tonight.

:)

10. Syrix_Kahl

Syrix_Kahl Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 25, 2001
    OK, just got back from my second viewing. I don't know whether the Drews can agree with this or not, but I found it much harder watching it a second time - and least of all because I've not slept for over 24 hours now.

Actually knowing what's coming up was really hard. ROTS not only puts ever other Episode into context, but I felt there were small lines, and even facial expressions that carried more weight knowing what they led to.

I don't think I've got anything else to add to my previous statements.

"Maybe this is just me, but I hoped Palpatine wouldn't use a lightsabre. I thought his power lay completely in his mastery of the Force, using it to manipulate and attack others without the use of a weapon. I'll live with it, but my initial reaction is shying away from backflipping, swordfighting Palpy."

From the OT I had always seen Obi-Wan as the old Jedi Master who still favoured a more elegant weapon, whereas Yoda was the Jedi Master who had reached a place of mind and spirit where he had transcended beyond the need for a lightsaber to defend himself anymore. And Vader/Sidious had always represented Dark side equivalents. Where we had 2 Jedi and 2 Sith and there was Luke caught in the middle having to make a choice that would affect the entire Galaxy. When Yoda brought out his lightsaber in AOTC it wasn't long before I had decided there was a good chance of Sidious having one too. However, I would have liked to see them both lose their sabers and taking that next step in drawing closer to the Force. Of course, now that it's been mentioned elsewhere that Yoda took Qui-Gonn on as his new Master at the end of ROTS, I would be equally happy seeing that.

"Could somebody explain this, in one of the final scenes we see Darth Vader and the Emperor on the bridge out of the window in space we can see the Death Star, looking about one third built, does this mean it took them another 18 years to build the thing after this?"

To me, it looks more like they've put up scaffolding and support beams - building the "skeleton" first so that the thing's sturdy. Except for that exhaust shaft of course... Besides, think about how many rooms would need to be completely furnished? I'm pretty sure it'd take a while for the Death Star to be completed.

11. T-K-421

T-K-421 Jedi Youngling

May 15, 2002
    but 18 years really! they built the second one in about two, must have been private contractors or something

12. Foxi

Foxi Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 29, 2004
    Maybe they got distracted with some wars or taking over the galaxy and it went on the backburner for a while.

13. Kalor_Voe

Kalor_Voe Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 10, 2000
    So NOW we know what the TV series is all about!

Season one: The Environmental Impact Statement.

14. Kehleyr

Kehleyr Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 22, 2001
    Wonderful movie.

The Leia remembering her mother thing, could also be attributed to remembering Bail's wife as well?

Did anyone notice the finale scene on the bridge of the Star Destroyer, when Vader walked up to the Emperor? That Imperial Officer talking to the Emperor looked an awful lot like a young Tarkin, thin face and all. That was a nice touch.

15. Kartanym

Kartanym Jedi Knight star 6

May 23, 2002
    it's tarkin alright.

i won't repeat everything i've said so far (the words GREAT, COOL, and SQUEEE! come to mind) but I will say that there are two things I would have liked ... 1)Qui-Gon: I really wanted to see him, if even only briefly, almost in a tribute to the end of ROTJ even. Just the glancing mention by Yoda wasn't enough for me. & 2)More of the Wookiees. I felt, after all the hype about having them in, there wasn't enough of them in the end.

16. Aztek

Aztek Jedi Master star 4

Apr 12, 2001
    I'm really keen to sit down and watch the OT again now and REALLY watch them. There were so many things that now have a different spin on them it's not funny. We discussed this over pancakes and the more we talked the keener (is that a word) I was to see the OT again.

17. wedge3210

wedge3210 Jedi Master star 5

Jun 7, 1999
    Just on the Death Star. Is it not a stretch that they could've started building the second one just 5 years after Rots? It's a big galaxy to patrol.

Yoda killing those Royal gaurds and R2's opening are going down as my classic non-action scenes in the whole saga. They were just fitting and perfect.

I love how this film has the American neo-cons already up-in-arms over the underlying themes. It could become a bit of a Dixie Chicks ****-storm... over Star Wars!! And Josh Griffen "felt uncomfortable because of it".

18. HawkNC

HawkNC Former RSA: Oceania star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2001
    Please guys, I know you're excited, but I'm sure you can express it without the use of naughty words.

Re Death Star: I've been thinking since AOTC that they must have been building both at the same time. No way would Palpatine wait 20 years to build a weapon he could use to strengthen his grip on the galaxy. Why have one when you can have two for twice the price?

19. mauls-menace

mauls-menace Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 23, 2000
    WOW!

What the hell happened? I mean you blinked and you missed heaps. I have got to see it again (and again and ....) just to see what some of you all saw but I somehow missed.

The Good:
    Anakin vs Obi-Wan - loved Obi-Wan telling Anakin he was like his brother etc. I'm sure some of the audience teared up at that.
    The SUIT - watching the charred Anakin being "rebuilt" and Palpatine telling him that he killed Padme. As someone else has mentioned until that point there was still some of Anakin lurking behind those eyes.
    The Opening Battle - That was just elentless.
    The Music - what can I say the music that accompanied the Duel is still playing in my head as I type this.
    Chewbacca - very well done.
    The Acting - much better from all involved, although there was a little ackwardness between Padme and Anakin very early on.

The Bad:
    The CGI Clonetroops - When there in tha hanger talking to Obi-Wan I winced.
    Padme's Death - as someone has mentioned it's a little hard for Leia to remember her 'real' mother seeing as she died giving birth to her.
    The Whole "Spirits" thing - could have been handled a lot better. i got the impression that George may have forgotten about it and added something at the last minute. I mean why didn't we see Qui-Gon spirit earlie?

The Ugly:
    Being hounded by the press after we all came out I mean I could hardly see after having a camera and light shove in my face.

NO MORE STAR WARS MOVIES!

To sum up I have to put this as my 2nd favourite out of the 6, behind ESB.

20. Jedi_Benji

Jedi_Benji Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 2, 2002
    omg i had to get up @ 6am today for stupid tafe, got a nice 2 1/2 hours sleep, feelin pretty poor :S

Anyways:

The pwnage

- The Seats, got there early and got third row back from the divider, center :D
    - The freakin space battle, omg
    - The Ground battles look 100x better, i swear, it looks MORE realistic, with random shots, and much better gfx den before. did anyone else love the shot the tank took on obi? man that shot was just OWNAGE
    - Finally giving CGI charactors BONES (espec Clones)
    - The rest of the movie omg, it was totally OWNAGE

The not so pwnage

- Padme didnt really have much of a role imo, they shoulda put back in the scenes with the start of the rebellian
    - couple of the cg shots were average, but u cant expect totally perfect quality all the time tho

the noob

- Credits, not EVER seeing another new sw film

How to make more pwnage?

- Get rid of ALL sound, music and just play battle of the Heroes for the 2 hours 20 min with the video playing as normal, woulda owned everythin then

thx to every1 for organizing, was great fun :D

21. ROE_Biggs

ROE_Biggs Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 29, 2002
    - Padme didnt really have much of a role imo, they shoulda put back in the scenes with the start of the rebellian

there is an entire sub plots on this in the novel but it was cut so as not to take the movie away from being anakins story

22. TheOzhaggis

Nov 1, 2000
    Saw it second time (in 24 hours) with only 4 hours of sleep in 36 ...

New things I noticed:

* Artoo laughing when Bail says to erase Threepio's memory

* Maybe reading too much, but given Lucas' love of color symbolism (sorry if this has been mentioned)), but I noticed the tubes connected to Padme - one was blue (jedi/light side), one was red (sith/dark side) ...

* Was Palpatine viewing the death star construction (red screen) when Anakin brings him news of Grievous ... ?

Oh, and as for Leia remembering Padme, I have no problem with it at all. It was never a problem for me before, but now even less so after seeing as Padme's last words were repeated by Luke in Return of the Jedi (while Obi-wan was holding Luke next to her ) ... "There is still good in him..."

But I've always figured Luke & Leia, being yin and yang , Luke sees into the future, and Leia sees into the past. But anyways.

More later.

23. Jedi_Benji

Jedi_Benji Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 2, 2002
    owch, u are sleep deprived :S

tbh ive had 2 1/2 hours in about 48 hours, im really packin it now

24. TheOzhaggis

Nov 1, 2000
    Oh, and also noticed: editing credits go to Roger Barton and Ben Burtt? Did Lucas stay clear of editing this time? That's unusual for him ...

Re: death star construction
    Constructing the shell and constructing all of the internal structure are two totally different things. You could get the shell made in 5 years and still take 18 years to get the guts of the thing in working order and fully operational ...

25. Prodigiousman

Prodigiousman Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 28, 2001
    Ok... almost 24 hours after seeing it I've calmed down.

This is however the only time for the 3 new movies that I didn't see it again the day after I saw the first session available.

But I'm hoping it's a good thing, because I'm now looking forward to seeing it again and giving a few scenes that really disappointed me a second chance to actually be better than I thought they were.

Namely - Palpatine changing completely into Sidious after Windu goes for a jump out the second storey window and them convinces Anakin far too easily to turn into Vader - this was the scene that killed me for a couple of reasons:

1. I didn't buy the whole scared Palpatine thing when Windu was standing over him, even if it was acting scared to get Anakin to act it was poor it just didn't mesh at all with Sidious and the aura he'd created in the other movies (incl OT).

2. Anakin deciding to turn, it was all very matter of fact which made no sense dramatically or in the scheme of the story. I know he had the whole Padme thing but for mine the way to sell the change was for him to completely go evil so he could OWN Padme's destiny rather than save it.

3. Palpatine's 'druggo' experience standing over Anakin - thinking of a name and calculating things for the future etc - it just seemed so amatuerish - here's the guy who set everything in motion (possibly even with Anakin's birth if that line of thought is realistic) and is the master of the dark side and he's in la la land in the most pivotal part of his plan!!! Sure he was rattled (if that was the case) but it just fell so flat on what I a. expected and b. figured would happen.

It just didn't make much sense and the makeup was pathetic compared to Return of the Jedi when he was no only creepy but powerful. He just had a melon for a head!

I'll see it tomorrow at Castle Hill and hopefully I'll be taken to a galaxy far far away and forget the fact I was so bitterly disappointed only a few nights before.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.