main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series [SPOILERS] Star Wars: A New Dawn (Rebels Novel)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Zorkel567, Apr 25, 2014.

1. Zorkel567

Zorkel567 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2010
    Since the Darth Maul comic got a thread here, I figured this prequel novel deserved one too.

[​IMG]

A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away….
    STAR WARS: A NEW DAWN by John Jackson Miller

Our very first official canon novel set solidly in the legendary "Dark Times" between Episodes III and IV, A NEW DAWN will introduce readers to two main characters from the upcoming Star Wars: Rebels animated series—Kanan Jarrus and Hera Syndulla—and will feature jacket art by Doug Wheatley, as well as a foreword by Dave Filoni, one of the executive producers of The Clone Wars and Star Wars: Rebels. It goes on sale September 2, 2014.

whostheBossk likes this.
  2. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    I'm gonna see how many times I can use this GIF today.

[​IMG]

3. Heero_Yuy

Heero_Yuy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2000
    As I said in the SWR thread, Hera's looking mighty fine on that cover.

4. darthzac14

darthzac14 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    Maybe this question is appropriate here... What is the state of canonicity of The Clone Wars novels (Wild Space, No Pirsoners, Gambit) ?

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR likes this.
  5. Zorkel567

Jan 20, 2010
    All novels released prior to this one are being labeled with a 'Legends' banner, will still be available for purchase, but are made non-canon. This seems likely to carry over into those novels also.

6. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    Actually, they said somewhere that the novels tying directly to TCW/Rebels are also canon.

7. Zorkel567

Jan 20, 2010
    Oh really, where was that? The only thing I saw was this:

[​IMG]

8. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    I meant this

[​IMG]

but I misread it. When it said "and all content (books, games, etc)" I thought it meant all content related to TCW. I didn't catch the "moving forward" part.

9. Darth Doop

Darth Doop Jedi Master star 4

Apr 24, 2014
    This book looks good so far. Hopefully its satisfying.

10. Zorkel567

Jan 20, 2010
    Seems up in the air.

[​IMG]

Revanfan1 likes this.
  11. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I'm definitely interested in this and I'm glad Rebels will be getting some adult novels. Kenobi was really good so I'm happy about JJM doing this.

No Kanan/Hera romance though, either here or in the show.

12. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    I doubt a K/H romance would be here; it'd be too soon as they said this is about when K/H meet. So even if it is in the show it won't be in the book, almost certainly. Unless the show starts out with them already in a romantic relationship, I guess?

13. 07jonesj

07jonesj Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2010
    Then she should stop rubbing her lekku over Kanan's back. :p

Anyhow, I'm glad they have detailed backstories in mind for these characters, as it will really help flesh them out as we get to know them, and why they are who they are.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  14. Heero_Yuy

Nov 28, 2000
    What if Kanan and Hera are just casual **** buddies? Would that be ok, AFS1983?

lovelikewinter, TKT, cdgodin and 6 others like this.
  15. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
  16. Heero_Yuy

Nov 28, 2000
    It makes sense anyway. Spending all that time on a ship all alone. If a dog's hungry, he'll eat.

obsidianknight482 likes this.
  17. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Oh hell.

Seriously, though, I'm all for this book. I like the fact that Filoni is writing the Foreword, kinda like how Lucas wrote the Foreword to Shatterpoint back when the Clone Wars Multimedia Project was kicking off.

18. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    I'll be really excited to see how much this goes into Kanan's history as a Jedi. I expect it to give some basic info but also leave a mystery about him for the show to gradually unveil.

I also don't want Kanan and Hera to be together on the show, but if they have a fling in the book and then a William Riker/Deanna Troi type relationship from Star Trek: The Next Generation I wouldn't mind that.

cdgodin, Circular Logic and Revanfan1 like this.
  19. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Ugh, I hate Riker/Troi. I hate it more with every passing year.

More specifically, I hate Riker more with every passing year because of it.

Off-topic, off-forum, I know.

20. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    CT-867-5309 hahahah please feel free to elaborate in the social thread. :D

21. Darth Kickass

Darth Kickass Jedi Master star 3

Aug 3, 2013
    I'm actually going to buy my first Star Wars novel when "A New Dawn" comes out. I know it may sound like heresy to some of you but I've been a Star Wars fan for three decades but I've never read one of the novels. Part of it was my age when the novels came out and part of it was the realization that none of the books were written by George Lucas, and therefore were not "real" Star Wars as far as I was concerned at the time. I guess I should consider myself lucky in a way because I haven't been invested in characters and stories that may or may not still be considered relevant. I'm really excited that any book I read going forward will shed light on things not seen on screen and I will be able to consider them "official" =D=

22. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Looking forward to it.

23. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    Well they certainly got you, didn't they?

24. Senator Kelberry

Senator Kelberry Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 22, 2010
    Not heresy at all. Before TCW hit, my SW exposure was limited to the six films, and the video games Tie Fighter and the Dark Forces series. TCW is what got me interested in reading more. My Star wars novel count is at 11 so far, and I have TCW to thank for it.

As for this book, it looks very interesting and definitely something I'll probably be adding to my Kindle library. Given the release date it's a foregone conclusion it'll hit shelves before the show starts, so I think that'll work as a good setup for the show itself. Looking forward to it.

25. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I read the Thrawn Trilogy in the late 90s, hated it, became part of the film-purist crowd for several years because of it. I really got into the EU through prequel-era novels. I went from there to the NJO, several of the comics (which I want to finish picking up before Dark Horse loses its license), and now the X-Wing series.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that I was initially worried that Disney would only release kiddie books with this series, and by "kiddie books," I mean "Sabine paper dolls" and "the Ezra sticker collection," along with "Let's count to ten with Chopper."

So this is a relief. With the exception of the first-person Luke book, which I have no interest in because I don't want to read 300 pages of Luke navel-gazing, the new novels are all potentially interesting.