main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series [SPOILERS] Star Wars: A New Dawn (Rebels Novel)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Zorkel567, Apr 25, 2014.

1. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Disregarding all the work is ridiculous. Most of it, fine. But all of it...what the hell? I won't be wasting my money on this new crap, anyway, so I don't really care. Old EU, New Eshmu - why should I?

2. Cevan

Cevan Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 16, 2013
    Hmm, sounds pretty interesting from what we've heard so far. I'll probably try and pick this up so I know a bit more backstory about Kanan and Hera before delving into Rebels a great deal. I wonder if Chopper will appear in this as well since he's Hera's droid?

3. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    All I can do is wish those that stay or join for the New Era luck. I really have zero interest in continuing the kiddie universe begun by TCW.

4. Cevan

Cevan Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 16, 2013

TCW did have kiddie elements to it, but it had quite a bit of a darker tone later on in the show. I'd even go as far as to say some of the things in TCW are darker than some things found in the movies.

5. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    The only TCW arc I found really juvenile and, frankly, painful was the D-Squad episodes. Mortis and the Yoda arc were two of the most sophisticated moments in SW lore. Rebels won't be as cerebral as those episodes perhaps, but it will still be fantastic based on everything I've seen so far. JJM is a great writer as well; I can't think of a better combination.

cwustudent and Dra--- like this.
  6. SeinEwigerSchatten

SeinEwigerSchatten Jedi Padawan star 1

May 10, 2013
    Why did they write a novel to an upcoming TV series?

That totaly takes away the tension.

The characters need to be presented on screen, not off screen.

It´s only money making.

7. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    I actually like the look of this novel; feared it was going to be a kids book.

8. Sgt Crowfield

Sgt Crowfield Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 27, 1999
    I like the cover, but I guess I'll wait until reviews are out (and by that I mean reviews here on the JC). I don't mind spoilers at all, but nowadays I'm really afraid of books being stinkers, so I'd rather read the opinion of some of the more outspoken forum dwellers before I spend the money on this one (I wouldn't mind a Kanan/Hera romance, by the way ^^).

I doubt it's the books' fault that I don't like most of the new stuff. I'm just not as keen on spending time with books anymore: 20 years ago I liked most of the books I read, and nowadays ... not so much. Out of all the books I read between 2012 and 2014, I loved exactly one, liked two, tolerated four (because a friend wrote them) and hated all others.

When we had to lighten the load on our bookshelves because a board had nearly crashed down (the only thing keeping it from shattering our gaming console was Monster High's Clawd Wolf - he's better now, thank you ;) ), I took about 50 SW books and stashed them in the attic. The only SW novels/anthologies I decided to keep down here were all the Zahn books, Tales from Jabba's Palace, the Dark Forces/Jedi Knight hardcovers and Hard Contact - they are my favorites out of the bunch. Can't say what exactly these books have in common (except they're made from paper), but I wouldn't mind if 'A New Dawn' had it, too :D.

9. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    How does it take away the tension? Do you mean it takes away the tension from the novel? Sure, I can see that. But the way John Jackson Miller writes, I hardly think it'll matter. Most SW books are about characters who have futures written in stone but they're still gripping and exciting. Miller's own Kenobi, for example.

10. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I doubt we will see everyone in the novel. I'm assuming Ezra at the very least won't be on the Ghost until the series starts.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  11. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Yeah, the book's how Kanan and Hera specifically meet so I doubt the others will be in it much, and if they are it probably won't be until before the end.

Cevan and Force Smuggler like this.
  12. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Nothing to worry about then.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  13. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    I find that to be a peculiar interpretation since Star Wars was always geared towards children and TCW expands more into adult themes than the films.

14. kecen

kecen Jedi Master star 4

Jul 12, 2005
    Any speculation on what the plot will be? I'd like to read a sample excerpt.

15. Heero_Yuy

Heero_Yuy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2000
    Funny you say that, doesn't the EU say lekku is an erogenous area on a Twilek?

16. credar

credar Jedi Master star 3

Sep 18, 2011
    Ooo! I get to pull out my favorite video!

17. Senator Kelberry

Senator Kelberry Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 22, 2010

Ok, that's going in my favorites when I get home. I mean, really, how many other shows, outside of what's on HBO, are willing to show onscreen child murder. Not many, if any.

I am curious to see what tone the novel sets for the series and if that tone will be continued in the series.

Dark Lord Tarkas likes this.
  18. Vader'sGoodHand

Vader'sGoodHand Jedi Master star 3

Apr 1, 2014

Cushasouras Rex I usually agree with you but I'm going to have to just state my opinion. It's going to be much worse of a kiddie show. TCW was very dark especially 3-6 and with the constant beheading and betrayal. I believe they did that on purpose because we saw a lot of changes in the characters. Also seeing how it came on later (9pm) shows that it was geared more towards teens and adults. We are comparing Disney (countless Barbie and dumb singing kids shows) geared more towards kidos to Cartoon Network (Ed Ed and Eddy, Gumball and Chowder) who lace their shows with heavy adult humor. Disney is a completely different demographic and kid scene than Cartoon Network is.

19. QuangoFett

QuangoFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 11, 2011
    Rebels could and should mark a sea change at Disney, especially if they plan on releasing more animated SW content through their channels, but institutional inertia will inevitably be a challenge to completely overcome. I highly doubt that we'll not hear talk from LFA that Weisbergoni were prevented from doing X because Y reason from Disney management.

20. Heero_Yuy

Heero_Yuy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2000
    People also seem to forget that Disney also made Gargoyles. That was a very, VERY mature series that certainly pushed boundaries as far as what was appropriate on Disney Afternoon.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  21. Vader'sGoodHand

Apr 1, 2014
    That show came out out in 1997. Disney's lineup has changed drastically. Since then I do not know of a show in recent memory on the Disney channel that has been as mature as gargoyles was.

22. Vader'sGoodHand

Apr 1, 2014
    I don't think we will either but again Disney channels fan base is definitely different than CN's. A show like Adventure Time would never make it on the Disney channel because they are two different types of programming. I hope and pray that it is as good as TCW and I'm holding out faith.

23. QuangoFett

QuangoFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 11, 2011
    No, I fully expect that there will be clashes between the Rebels showrunners and the Disney management. I agree with you.

24. Vader'sGoodHand

Apr 1, 2014
    My apologies. I misinterpreted your post

25. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    For anyone interested, there's a free sample of the upcoming SW books, including this, available from most major book retailers. I haven't read it yet, but it apparently depicts Hera investigating a Star Destroyer captain. Here's the Amazon link.

Revanfan1 and Dark Lord Tarkas like this.