main
side
curve
  1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

Beyond - Legends Spooky Halloween Challenge - Ghost Hunt: Bast Castle

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by madman007, Oct 28, 2020.

1. madman007

madman007 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 22, 2007
    Spooky Halloween Challenge

Ghost Hunt: Bast Castle

31 ABY – Vjun System

“Good evening. This is your host, Idni Swiet, coming to you live on the planet Vjun. Welcome to Ghost Hunt, the show that explores the mysterious supernatural in our galaxy. Tonight, we visit a place that has been shrouded in mystery for decades. Bast Castle, the once home and fortress of Lord Darth Vader. After his demise, the Imperials overtook it as their stronghold. It wasn’t until a few years ago after the Yuuzhan Vong War when the castle had been abandoned. Now, it is in shambles. A ghost of its former greatness. Perhaps there are many secrets here yet to be revealed. Maybe there’s more than secrets. Maybe the spirit of Lord Vader himself dwells among the ruins.” Idni made an execution motion with his hand to his neck. “Cut. We can redo that last bit in editing, Van.”

Van Madine, the show’s cameraman, shut off the holo-cam that was filming Idni. “Oh, yes, please let’s edit out you suggesting that the ghost of Vader is alive and well in the galaxy. Way to comfort your viewers.”

“My dear Van, the fans of Ghost Hunt isn’t about actual ghosts. It’s about boosting ratings above a pitiful 1.5 share. Just the suggestion of a Vader ghost will attract fans like sand flies.”

Van looked at the castle in the distance. “Are we really going inside there?”

“Of course not. We’ll just get some footage of the interior and Frit can digitally add in our ghosts in the edit room.”

“That’s mighty ethical of you.”

“Hey, it’s showbiz! Come on, let’s get closer.”

They walked toward the entrance of the castle where a large flight of steps carved in stone once stood proudly. The stone had since been chipped away by the Vjun weather. Half of its structure was missing. The façade of the castle was also torn away, allowing a view of the vacant insides of the former palace. Vjun’s moon gave off an eerie yellow glow that shown into the castle.

Van remarked, “Was there a reason why we’re not filming this in daylight?”

“Van, baby, the moonlight creates atmosphere. Start filming.”

Van raised the holo-cam to Idni. “All right. We’re rolling in three…two…one…go.”

“As you can see we are right up against the entrance to the castle. You see the stone here has been worn away. Could it have been the Vjun weather, or could there be another culprit?”

A distant howl cried out into the night, echoing against the wind.

“What was that?” asked Idni.

Van chuckled. “Probably one of our fans watching our show. Sounds about the right amount of torture.”

The howls began again in multiples.

Idni said, “No, those have to be Vjun foxes. They’re harmless.”

“Unless they’re provoked.”

“They’re not. Are we still rolling?”

“No, I stopped when you were startled.”

“I wasn’t startled,” Idni snapped. “Come on, let’s roll.”

“Ready? Three…two…one…go.”

“You may be able to hear the Vjun foxes in the background. Perhaps the spriit of Vader is calling them home. There was a rumor that he kept a few of the vicious vulpines as pets. We are now heading up what’s left of the stairs. Who knows what supernatural entities we can conjur.” Idni paused. “Cut!”

“What’s wrong now?”

“Something isn’t right.”

The howling of the foxes became louder. Closer.

Van said, “I’d say. Those foxes sound hungry.”

“Shut up. They won’t attack.”

“You sure about that? You’re not scared, are you, boss?”

“Of course not. Get some footage of the inside. There’s a bonus if you can get images of the Vader statue that was rumored to be in there. Use the extreme focus lens for the full effect.”

“You mean so it looks like we actually went inside.”

“It’s not trickery if the fans truly believe it.”

“Trickery like your real name?”

“Hey, I’ve filed complaints about that. I’ll sue anyone for slander for that leak. Now start filming.”

Van began to film the outside of the castle entrance and worked his way inside. He tried to brighten the light with the flash emitter on the cam but everything he filmed inside was so dark. The place was empty. At some point during his filming, a gust of wind blew past them. The rush created a hissing sound in the air. Van uttered, “The weather here is getting worse.”

“Shh, quiet! Don’t worry, we can splice out your comment. I’m thinking of using some creepy Mon Calamarian music.”

Van asked, “Isn’t this place restricted?”

“Nothing is restricted, Van. Danger equals ratings jump, my friend. Fans will be on the edge of their seats.”

Another long gust of wind picked up. This time, there seemed to be a voice whispering along with it.

Leave.

Van turned off the cam suddenly and looked at Idni with horror. “Did you hear that?”

“Yeah, it was the wind. Why did you stop filming?”

“Because that wind sounded like it was talking. It told us to leave.”

Idni sighed. “And here I thought you didn’t partake in gliterstim spice.”

“I’m serious!”

Another gust of wind was summoned and this time the voice behind it was even louder. Leave now!

Van cried, “Tell me you didn’t hear that.”

“I…I…I don’t think I did. Come on, let’s get some more footage and get the Hell out of here.”

“You don’t have to tell me twice.” Van turned the cam back on and pointed it at the interior of the castle. He edged closer to the entrance. He was aiming it at the high ceiling when a huge blast of gushing air came at him with such force that it thrust him backward. He tumbled down the steps of the castle, his body scraping against the rough dark stone. He landed back at the foot of the steps.

Idni came after him and asked, “You all right? That wind was wild.”

“That was no wind. Something pushed me off the steps! I could feel it!”

“You mean like a…force?” Idni looked back up at the castle. “Maybe there is a ghost here.”

“If there is, we really pissed it off. Probably just for being here. It did warn us.”

Idni considered. “Maybe we’re done here.”

Van snapped, “Gee, you think?”

“Get the cam. Let’s go.” He looked around where Van landed as he picked himself up. “Uh…Van? Where’s the cam?”

“What?” Van looked around too and then uttered, “Uh oh. Found it.”

Lying a meter away from them was the holo-cam, or what was left of it. The lens had cracked and the circuitry was emitting sparks.

Idni cried out, “Sithspawn! We had all of our footage on there.”

“Yeah, I’m going out on a limb and say that it’s all gone now.”

Idni growled in frustration. “There goes our ratings. And possibly our show. Maybe we can use a spare cam from the shuttle.”

“We could if I brought a spare.”

“You didn’t bring a backup? What the hell were you thinking?”

“Hey, this trip wasn’t exactly authorized, if you remember. Bernie didn’t want us out here. He said we would have the Jedi all over us if we came out here.”

“What does he know?”

“Oh, I don’t know. He’s only the Head Programmer.”

“We can come back! We can get another cam from the studio with a spare and come back here.”

Immediately, a burst of light struck at the top of the steps to the castle. They both looked where the bolt hit. What they saw next was unbelieveable to both of them.

Inside of a dark mist that was rising, the image of a figure emerged. The dark figure began to gain definition and form a familiar figure. The image of Lord Darth Vader floated before them at the edge of the steps. The shape of the helmet, the cape, and the continuous breathing was unmistakable. Though the image was incorporeal, it felt real. The cape flapped wildly in the Vjun wind. Finally, the deep mechanicized voice boomed over them. His words chilled them to their bones.

“It would be wise for you to never come back to this place! Ignoring me will have great consequences!”

The image disappeared.

Idni and Van were too stunned to speak for several moments. Finally, Van shouted, “I don’t know about you, but I’m listening to him.” Van stumbled as he broke into a run to the shuttle.

Idni followed him, but added, “You’re right! At least we now have proof that the ghost of Vader exists!”

“Oh, shut up, Idni! I quit!”

As Idni ran, he exclaimed, “Maybe I can host that new Galaxy Bachelorette show.”

They ran off and climbed into their shuttle to take off to leave Vjun.

Another dark figure slowly emerged from the entrance to the castle. It wore the dark robes of a Jedi with its hood obscuring its face. He pulled it back. An astromech droid came up beside him.

“Do you think they’ll be back, Artoo?”

The droid made his answer in beeps and whistles.

“I don’t think so either.”

Artoo beeped again.

“What do you mean? I think my impression of Vader was quite good. It pretty much did the job. I must admit I’ll have to brush up on my Vjun fox imitation.” He sighed. “When will these media types learn that this place isn’t an attraction?” He looked up at the ruins of the castle. “Right, father?”

THE END

Last edited: Nov 2, 2020
  2. Kit'

Kit' Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 1999
    That was really cool. I loved the patter of the banter and the fact that Indi really doesn't get the fact that maybe he should just quit when he's ahead. The ending was cool too.

Think there needs to be more ghost hunter stories tbh

Kahara and madman007 like this.
  3. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Force Ghost star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    great show and ending

AzureAngel2, Kahara and madman007 like this.
  4. amidalachick

amidalachick Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 3, 2003
    This was so good! I love the premise of a ghost hunter show in the GFFA (okay, I love bad reality TV in general :p). And the banter was fantastic.

[face_laugh][face_laugh]

[face_laugh] I really loved these lines. :D

And nice twist with the ending! Great job on this. =D=

AzureAngel2, Kahara and madman007 like this.
  5. Anedon

Anedon Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 11, 2016
    That was an intresting idea, certianly a place that would attract media people like that. As for ending, well everybody needs a hobby I guess and if its defending your fathers property.

AzureAngel2 and madman007 like this.
  6. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    Nice one, @madman007! I enjoyed the banter between the reporter and cameraman. The Ghost Hunters spoof was also on target. Fun read.

7. Seldes_Katne

Seldes_Katne Jedi Grand Master star 2

Mar 18, 2002
    Highly amusing (does Idni sell used speeders in his spare time?), and a neat ending. Over-the-top portrayal of "reality TV," and the story is all the funnier for it. Good length -- long enough to set up the joke, short enough to keep the reading engaged. I enjoyed this very much.

8. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    Hey. That was fun.
    Well done.

9. AzureAngel2

AzureAngel2 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 14, 2005
    That fanfic shows what might happen at a supposedly haunted location once folk like "Ghost Hunters International" or "Haunted Homes" leave the scene. :D

Fun stuff! Thanks for writing!=D=

madman007 likes this.