main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Challenge Spring Word Race! Survey up!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Briannakin , Apr 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    I said this would be held every few months because that is what people voted for. I kinda late (March and April were just epic fails), but let's try this again!​
    Welcome to the May 2015 The Fanfic WORD RACE!

Let’s face it, National Writing Month is fun, but writing 50,000 words in November just isn’t plausible for some people (students and people with dead muses) and can be intimidating for those that know they can’t make it even close. So this a similar idea (to turn off that inner editor and jut write!), with much less pressure and hopefully during a better time. The purpose of this is just to get people writing fanfic (and also to give a chance for people daunted by or unable to participate in Nano to see how fast they can write).

The rules are pretty simple:
    1. Sign up here!
    2. Beginning May 1st keep track of all the words you write for fanfics (FANFICTION ONLY! This is to encourage people to work on fanfics, plus we all want to eventually read the results). It can be fics that you have already started, a new fic, heck; if you are the kind of writer that likes to write out very detailed plot outlines, included that too!
    3. Post your word count every few days. I will keep a master tally.
    4. Keep writing until the clock strikes midnight on May 31th. Post a final count sometime on June 1st or 2nd.
    5, Encourage your fellow racers! No pimping, but light discussion about plot lines is allowed is allowed. We all love feedback!
    6. There will be PRIZES! 5000 words will get you 1 day of colours (THATS ONLY 162 WORDS PER DAY!), 10,000 will get you 2 days of colours, and 25,000 words will get you 1 week. The person who writes the most will receive a stickied thread where the can advertise a couple of their fics for 1 week.
    6 1/2. To make this round interesting. If I, Briannakin, do not make it to 5000 words, everyone who beats me gets 1 day of colours!

Anyone is eligible to participate (and can sign up at any point in May), but this is directed more towards writers that may normally write a bit slower, or haven't been able to write much lately. Basically, this is all about encouragement to write more. If you are someone who doesn't think anything of writing 30, 40 or 50,000 + words in a month, or if that will be no new or huge accomplishment for you, you can still participate, but please think about excusing yourself from winning the grand prize so that it can go to someone who really pushed themselves to get it.

Muse dead? Don’t worry! I’ve got some ideas!

1. Did you forget you Fanfic Resolutions? If so, take a month to see if you can get them done.
    2. Why not have a drabble writing marathon? Check out some of the past Ultimate Drabble Challenge threads for hundreds of prompts. You never know where they may take you.
    3. Try some of the several other challenges popping up here in Fanfic Resource.

If you are interested, grab a umbrella, a cup of caff and let’s start our engines!

Participant List:
    Briannakin -- 12357
    Chyntuck -- 25262
    earlybird-obi-wan - 10589
    Ewok Poet -- 29385
    Findswoman -- 6726
    JadeLotus -- 16,320
    jcgoble3 -- 4156
    Kahara -- 8186
    KELIA -- 8186
    mavjade
    Pandora -- 1245
    Raissa Baiard -- 9057
    SabyneAmberle -- 982
    Sith-l-5 -- 14032
    taramidala - 3242

2. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Okay, first off, to explain rule 6 1/2 - I'm doing a condensed 3 week class in May, needless to say, I won't have much time to write, so beating me may not be all that hard. However, I do have a couple days at the beginning and end of May, so it may get interesting.

So, discussion: will you be participating?

3. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    I'm in! I've gotten too lazy with not doing my RPG writing (it's been nearly a month since I've written anything at all), plus I have a few plot bunnies for true fanfics and need motivation to get started on them. :D

Also, since people will be needing plot bunnies, this might be a good time to finally get off my *** and see about starting up the new Plot Bunny Index and Donation thread, as I said I would do a couple months ago. mavjade and Briannakin ought to have a PM incoming about that within the next 24 hours, quite possibly sooner.

Chyntuck, Findswoman and Ewok Poet like this.
  4. SabyneAmberle

SabyneAmberle Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 16, 2004
    Sure, I'll give this a shot. :D

5. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    Oh am I glad to see this! There's a mountain of stuff I want to write before the summer kicks in, and this is exactly what I need. Sign me up please :)

Findswoman and Ewok Poet like this.
  6. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    I didn't participate in the previous one (which is funny, as I had gone to 27K and I would have beaten ummm...everybody), so sign me up.

Glad that plot outlines count, too.

Chyntuck and Findswoman like this.
  7. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    I will sign up. On holiday for a couple weeks, with dubious access to Word, but it still leaves a few days.

8. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014

Use Evernote on a tablet or something like Notepad if it's a non-work computer and then take it to Word for formatting etc. That's what I do when I write in my bed, outside...

Chyntuck likes this.
  9. JadeLotus

JadeLotus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2005
    I would like to participate to keep track of how much I'm writing, however since I won last time I would like to excuse myself from prizes.

10. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    So happy to see this back! I'll gladly sign up, because even though I probably won't come anywhere near winning, it will be a great motivator. :)

Chyntuck and Ewok Poet like this.
  11. Raissa Baiard

Raissa Baiard FFoF Artist Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Nov 22, 1999
    My muse needs a kick in the pants; sign me up.

12. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I'm going to try this again (not competing, obviously), I may not make it far but pretty much anything is better than what's been happening.

Chyntuck and Findswoman like this.
  13. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    Oops, I forgot to mention this. I'm participating but not competing either.
    That must be how I wrote more than half of my longfic so far :)

Do you all know what you'll be working on? I'll be on chapters 26-32 of my main fic, for which I only have an outline and some bits and pieces, and on @Kahara's award-fic.

Findswoman and Ewok Poet like this.
  14. taramidala

taramidala Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 18, 1999
    I'm in, but not in competition since I won't be able to start writing consistently until the 17th or so.

Chyntuck likes this.
  15. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    A good question. I'll probably try to work mainly on my longfic too; darned if I could say exactly which chapters it'll end up being, though, because I'm nowhere near as well organized as you are. :p Though I might also try to generate something for the poetry challenge, too—I'm still not totally sure what I'm going to do with that yet.

Ewok Poet and Chyntuck like this.
  16. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Same and same. And then it got too long and started lagging, so for the next one, I am making a separate notebook in the Fics notebook stack, with each chapter being a new note. I also have a separate notebook for prefaces to future fics, footnotes, links et cetera. Call me mad.

My main fic has about seven more chapters to go, so some 15K words.

Its sequel already has about 10K words.

The other main fic needs more chapters and, while I am taking it slow for very, very specific reasons, that doesn't mean I cannot write and not publish immediately.

The sequel to all three above mentioned fics already has about 12 K words.

The sequel to everything above has about 5 K, so does the sequel to that one.

None of the above is a joke, yes, I have that many planned.

There are some challenge responses I never completed.

I am working on a second chapter of MESA IMPORTANT APOCALYPSEN FIC.

Then, there are always round robin responses, *two* of which I might as well write after midnight, providing that you won't post the new prompt by the morning. Allow me to cheat, will you? :p

"Nowhere near as well organized" says the person who sent me a file I will never be able to top in terms of organisation this morning.

Chyntuck, Findswoman and jcgoble3 like this.
  17. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    Ewok Poet How many sequels ahead do you plan?!?!? :confused: [face_laugh]

And okay, I won't post the new RR prompt until tomorrow noon EEST (so that I also have time to prepare an entry for that, because I haven't started yet.)

Findswoman You, disorganised. Yeah, right. Oh, and given the massive project that the poetry challenge spawned for me, I hope Bri will organise more word races in the not-too-distant future, so that I can start posting before 2016 :p

Ewok Poet and Findswoman like this.
  18. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Participant list has been updated. If you are 'opting out' of the prizes, please remind me when you post your final word counts at the end, or else I'll probably forget.8-}

Great question, Chyntuck. I want to get a couple more entries down for my DDC (I WILL FINISH THIS YEAR!), however, the diary has sparked a D-canon "prequel" currently under the working title "The Courtship of Prince Bail" (yeah, I need a better title). I'm only on chapter 2, but writing it is bringing me endless joy. Isn't it every girl's dream to be forced to marry a space prince? :p

EDIT: BAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAH? ME? Be ORGANIZED enough to run more of these? Pfffftt.

But seriously, I am doing this in May so I can HOPEFULLY host another one in August for all the students still on summer vacation during that month.

19. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    sign me up

Ewok Poet and Chyntuck like this.
  20. SabyneAmberle

SabyneAmberle Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 16, 2004

Oh, God. What WON'T I be working on? Pretty much if it's A) On the Boards, and B) In progress, count on it seeing at least some update in May.

21. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    I just realised I have had that bookmarked since the day you started it, but that I have not left a comment yet. *hides*

Hmmm...so far, there are six stories in my universe. I hope I can think of one more, because seven is a cool number.

AND YAY, I WIN.

Findswoman and Chyntuck like this.
  22. Kahara

Kahara FFoF Hostess Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Mar 3, 2001
    Okay, sign me up! Worth a try to get some of this stuff out of my head. :p

Chyntuck, Ewok Poet and Findswoman like this.
  23. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    At ze moment, I am re-visiting the Mitch Nifesta and Baille Harte relationship, and considering an ISL (If She Lived) series.

Okay, my first word count is 571 words. :)

New adventure started, but re-visiting a scene from an RP.

Chyntuck likes this.
  24. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Briannakin - just realised something. Surely you mean May 31st and not 30th?

Chyntuck likes this.
  25. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Wow. I was apparently looking at April when I made this. Opps! Thanks.

[​IMG]

jcgoble3, Sith-I-5, Chyntuck and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.