main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Niagara, ON St. Catherine's

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by PadawanEmily, Sep 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PadawanEmily

PadawanEmily Jedi Master star 8

Oct 18, 2003
    Well, I'm not sure I'm from the Halton region. I live in Barrie currently, and am attending Georgian College, but I use to live in Orangeville, about I don't know, 1 and a half hours from the falls and bout 35 minutes from Guelph.

Anyways.. my question is that, i'm planning a trip up to St. Catherine's to do some sightseeing in the near future, i've been told it's a very nice city, from my cousin Dorthey, who lives in St. Catherines, but will be away during the time I want to be there.

Question: Is it a walkable town? Can I walk from the hotel and do my sight seeing or should i take public transportation. (I'm taking a bus down)

If this is wrong, just tell me and i'll find somewhere to put it, much thanks in advance.

~Emily

2. Cow_Girl

Cow_Girl Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 15, 2001
    Hey There :)

I would have to lean towards public transit, St.Catherines isn't huge, but I would not consider it walkable either. I know that Toronto you can buy a "day pass" that way you are not always looking for change on the bus, its very handy ;) So you may want to see if they can set you up with something like that :)

3. Sabia_Ronit

Sabia_Ronit Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 12, 2003
    Hi there!
    The St. Catharine's public transit is a great system. If you want information on their fares and routes go to www.yourbus.com. You may want to check with the hotel you are staying with, however, as some hotels offer special rates for public transit or offer transportation/shuttle services to major area attractions.

I really hope you like your time here.

~Steph

4. Mert_Skywalker

Mert_Skywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 28, 2001
    I'm going to go against the popular vote and say walk it. It may take you all day to walk the entire city (depending on your pace and what not) however you'll be able to see the entire city this way. Of course if you want to go someplace specific sure, than take the bus to that route, but if you just want to see the city, walk it. It's tiny. Also, the public transit system is pretty... limited. The buses are sparse, rare and unreliable with little to no late night service. I've had more than my fair share of bad experiences with the public transit in St. Catharines.

5. Sabia_Ronit

Sabia_Ronit Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 12, 2003
    To go along with the walking vote, there is a new series of signs posted through the downtown core that follow a walking tour of the historic areas and buildings of the area. It's actually pretty interesting, and there are several routes you can take to depending on the time you have and what you are interested in.

The bus is good for getting to the downtown from any part of the city, and can also be helpful for getting to Port Dalhousie and other tourist attractions in the immediate area.

6. Yebbed-Crage

Yebbed-Crage Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 3, 2001
    It's best to know what hotel you are at and then have a list of what things you want to see here. You shouldbe able to get some maps and decide according to the weather if you want to walk it or bus it.

Hope you enjoy your stay!!

7. PadawanEmily

PadawanEmily Jedi Master star 8

Oct 18, 2003
    Thanks everyone. You've been alot of help :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.