main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST ST Complimentary Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darth Downunder, Dec 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    Awesome video. Strong recommend. Funny. Thoughtful. And his arguments sounds like mine sometimes! :p

And this video in some ways may actually even be better. These are must watches for fans.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2018
    Darth Thing and lovethedarkside like this.
  2. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    I liked the scene with Leia thinking while they were in hyperspace.

Cave of Erised likes this.
  3. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I loved the shot of levitating Luke, and John Williams's haunting score during that whole sequence.

MarcJordan and Blobofat like this.
  4. Visivious Drakarn

Visivious Drakarn Jedi Master star 3

Apr 20, 2013
    TLJ is a movie that actually grows more and more to me and while not (yet) entirely great, Luke's story is quite more than it seams to be on a first glance. One of the finest details I find is repeating his father's mistake from ROTS. Both of them tried to prevent a disaster to happen, but their actions caused it. Just as Anakin tried to prevent and eventually caused Padme's death, Luke tried to prevent Ben's turn and eventually caused it. Unfortunately, Johnson never tried to explain the event in greater details, like who's Snoke and/or his relation with Luke.

ewoksimon and Count Yubnub like this.
  5. lovethedarkside

lovethedarkside Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 10, 2017
    Thanks for sharing these! Great videos.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2018
    MarcJordan and Ender_and_Bean like this.
  6. Ender_and_Bean

May 19, 2002
    This video on McGuffins I feel also helps show one of several reasons why RJ’s divisive take on Luke as the McGuffin of VII is so fascinating.

Put simply, VII had some fans thinking of Luke as a super weapon they wanted and RJ instead, ran with VII’s clues that this man didn’t want to be found and was not in a good state of mind, and who likely needed help... and showed us that.

We don’t find a super weapon. We find someone we care about in crisis that’s misled himself and needs help to see the real issue at the end of his nose.

It asks some sympathy from us in the audience after some wanted Lucasfilm to be sympathetic to them as people who’ve waited decades to see just how special an older Luke would be.

We’re reminded of strengths of his which in this situation are defeating himself. We are reminded of his challenging life and how more challenges awaited the Skywalkers after the fireworks of ROTJ ended. We are reminded of where parents and children can be similar in some ways and yet also very different. We are reminded it’s never too late to change course and allow outside opinion in and realize your mistake and apologize to anyone you realize you may have wronged and to save what we love and so much more.

I’m thankful for the ideas his arc explores and thankful he overcame his inner issues and found peace and purpose.

The interesting thing is that he still was a super weapon McGuffin in the end but for a non-violent message with hope, atonement, sacrifice and change that inspired others.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2018
  7. Blobofat

Blobofat Chosen One star 8

Dec 15, 2000
    ^ Great post. Totally agree.

I love Luke's story in TLJ. It brings an extra dimension to the character (with the added bonus that it gave Mark Hamill the chance to show more of his range as an actor).

I find it interesting that a planet orbiting binary stars is his final destination. Both Tatooine and Ahch-to are prisons to him, the former imposed and the latter self-imposed, and the Ahch-to suns can only reinforce that for him, even if only subconsciously. But the way he looks at them in the end, finally seeing and absorbing their beauty and how they frame the beginning and ending of his life, his mind finally not looking forward or back but at the moment, is very moving to watch. One of the great moments of the saga for me.

Ender_and_Bean and MarcJordan like this.
  8. FN1971

FN1971 Jedi Padawan star 2

Jun 13, 2018
    Throne room scene in general is very well made .

Last edited: Sep 16, 2018
  9. Ender_and_Bean

May 19, 2002
    I’m still not sure if the suns he sees are truly there for all to see or if it’s more about him transcending time and space of his life and letting go with peace to find and join the other realm.

Thankfully, it’s a thought-provoking moment regardless and can be experienced different ways by different viewers.

lovethedarkside likes this.
  10. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    In this context TLJ's comic adaptation adds a very nice touch. It has the following text accompanying Luke's "death" (I assume reflecting Luke's thoughts): "And so it ends as it began. By the light of two suns. Before stepping into a larger world."

[​IMG]

11. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2018
    Count Yubnub likes this.
  12. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    I should add that the final shot of Luke before he "passed," of him silhouetted against one of the suns, very much reminded me of the final shot of THX-1138. Kind of Plato-like in a sense.

TCF-1138 likes this.
  13. Cave of Erised

Cave of Erised Jedi Knight star 2

May 3, 2018
    This is small but very powerful one; very humanizing (her expression, the coffee mug... it says a lot about the state of emotions without words).

3sm1r likes this.
  14. MarcJordan

MarcJordan Force Ghost star 4

Nov 17, 2014
    Hux: Excellent! I’ll take it in my chambers.

Love this line. Hux knows he’s going to be lambasted by Snoke and to spare embarrassment in front of all to see. Snoke interestingly made his first entrance in TLJ with an ironic comedic insult to Hux.

From one side Snokes hologram switches to the other simultaneously to turning Hux (now with bloodied lip) to face him again toward the front of the bridge.

Later on it’s Rey who gets severely devilishly treated juxtapositioned (pun intended) but turned toward Kylo.

MJ

Last edited: Sep 18, 2018
    Blobofat likes this.
  15. Ender_and_Bean

May 19, 2002
    Hux’s fake confidence in front of his team there is certainly funny.

What did you folks think of Peavy’s little facial reactions to developments? I enjoyed them.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 18, 2018
  16. SithOverlord101

SithOverlord101 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 1, 2018
    The starships of the ST are pretty cool - I find it otherwise mediocre at best (TFA) and dreadful at worst (TLJ).

17. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    The most chilling and best line, IMO, is the very first one.

“Look how old you’ve become.”

18. MarcJordan

Nov 17, 2014
    Get ready...for what? This.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

When Luke walked toward the blown crack of the iron fortressed wall, toward the FO to face Kylo, it was exactly at the same time he was in actuality walking toward the ancient meditation ledge in the first temple of the Jedi Order.

You know the rest of the events.

MJ

Last edited: Sep 19, 2018
    Blobofat and The Deuteragonist like this.
  19. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    @Bor Mullet
    Good line indeed. To be pedantic, it's not precisely the very first one, but yeah.

20. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Sorry, meant to say Kylo’s first!

3sm1r likes this.
  21. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    I also like when he says "Follow my lead". Pretty bad**s!
    I don't know, there is something in Adam Driver that makes any of his scenes epic. I don't know what precisely :)

lovethedarkside likes this.
  22. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    Since I already posted on what I didn't like about this trilogy, let's now talk about what I did like about it.
    - Finn and Rey's friendship mostly thanks to Ridley and Boyega's believable performances. This relationship is truly the heart of this trilogy as far as I'm concerned.
    - Luke/R2 and Luke/Leia reunions. 'No one is ever really gone'
    - Luke's death death is simply beautiful. The twin suns and John Williams's magnificent score are really what sold me on it.
    - BB-8 because we really need to keep the tradition of droids being the ones who ultimately save the heroes in the nick of time. Also, droids are the true heroes of SW, that's just a fact. :p
    - Rose Tico's character in general to show the how things affect 'background SW characters'. She's not a politician, a Jedi-in-training, a pilot or whatever and that's part of her appeal to me. Another part of her appeal is what her character means to the real world.
    - Darth Sidious namedrop. Actually, both lessons about the Force and the PT Jedi were favorites of mine. No surprises there.
    - Rey's vision in TFA and the mirror cave in TLJ since I absolutely love any weird stuff in SW and hopefully there is at least one scene like that in IX as well.

That's all I can remember so far. If I find another, I'll just add it later.

23. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    What an ascendant moment.

24. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Yes, that’s what the thread is for.

25. MarcJordan

Nov 17, 2014
    "A storm trooper and a who now is doing what?"