main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST ST Complimentary Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darth Downunder, Dec 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MarcJordan

MarcJordan Force Ghost star 4

Nov 17, 2014
    There is the Finn/Rose (which also involves Poe...wait for it) dynamic that fused with the situation of meeting DJ. and what he eventually does to them.

Finally how the events turn out ie (Finn/Rose love link over the previous TFA Finn/Rey introduction) is simply astounding to me. TLJ turns Finn/Rey interest over its head to Finn/Rose.

"You're a selfish traitor!"

[​IMG]

Then Poe finds out how Finn/Rose met:

Keep in mind earlier it was the meeting of Poe and Holdo ;which just gets bad to worse till the Holdo's sacrifice; whereas Finn and Rose relationship just keeps getting better and better). I love the way Rian creates these links.

"Give to me one more time but simpler" (Just love all of this!)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

"Hmm"

[​IMG]

"How'd you two meet?"

[​IMG]

And seeing how both Finn hands over the beacon to Poe, while Rose looks on.[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The subsequent return of Rose's medallion by DJ,
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    and what happens finally is DJ becomes the real traitor.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

finally separates Finn's role from traitor to "Rebel scum".

[​IMG]

The great thing also is that Rose goes one better when she "saves" Finn from himself.

[​IMG]

Now it's not Rey/Finn
    [​IMG]

But Finn/Rose
    [​IMG]

l love this movie. :D

Cheers!

MJ

Last edited: Mar 22, 2019
  2. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    "I don't want anything for my birthday."
    "Why didn't you get me anything for my birthday!!??"

Eternal_Jedi likes this.
  3. MarcJordan

Nov 17, 2014
    I was not sure whether to laugh or take it seriously but when Finn says “we’re really nowhere, how’s Rey gonna find us now?” , I reflected on the last time that word was used.

It was Rey, when Luke asked her where she was from.

Not sure whether it was intentional or not but I liked it! :D

Cheers!

MJ

Lost_Hope and Cave of Erised like this.
  4. MarcJordan

Nov 17, 2014
    I love the dynamic between the brash pilot Poe vs Leia and Vice Admiral Holdo.

After the Dreadnought “heroics “ by Poe and his bomber fleet (who he’s responsible for as Commander) , Leia’s demoting of Poe tells an interesting machination within the Resistance.

Once Holdo came into the picture, Poe remains adamant that he believes the only way to face the FO is to go all guns blazing. “We need to shake them....” . Holdo using Leia’s last instruction will have nothing of it. Imo we can see the pacifistic tactics of Holdo who knows very well The downtrodden and oppressed look up to the Resistance. The latter aren’t guerrilas nor a prideful bunch who just on a whim risk their reputation, but are trying to bring back a Republic as a stable and wiser democracy.

“We are the spark that will restore the Republic...that is Our Mission” Poe’s intention is not to be a troublemaker and far from it but his pride of heroism is dangerous to the Mission. His lack of obedience cost him his rank in the first place and Holdo follows through albeit in a different style, with a iron whip so to speak yet she could have demoted him even further but did not. Giving Poe chance to reflect on the errors and trust in her leadership. I’m not saying Holdo was perfect she was just as hard headed and perhaps could have toned down her rhetoric “flyboy” taunting.

That said I’ve heard that since there were some who wanted to jump ship and that was Holdo’s lack of transparency yet this likely happened earlier before Holdo took over. Deserting can happen even in the best of defence organisations. Holdo was clear to Poe that he stick to his post and await her orders. In fact we know from C3PO Holdo was looking for him even after the incident when Poe went over his head. Yes Finn and Rose along with Poe’s concurrence were to keep the plan secret from Holdo, as they thought it was worth a try and i believe Poe thought he would be the hero but we see it fall apart despite the best of intentions.

It was only at the most desperate moment the guerrila tactic had to be used by non other than Holdo. This sacrifice as it turned out was worth it.

Just some thoughts.

Cheers!

MJ

5. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    Anyone see this one?

He does a win counter that’s fun.

Curious... what do you guys like best about the Rey and Kylo Ren dynamic now? I have my feelings on it but would love to hear from some other fans of the ST what they are enjoying about this dynamic.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2019
    Eternal_Jedi and MarcJordan like this.
  6. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    I like that Rey slams the door in Kylo’s face. Rey is the hero and Kylo is the villain, that dynamic works really well in TFA and I’m glad by the end of the TLJ it’s back to that.

7. Ender_and_Bean

May 19, 2002
    I do think the situation is positioned primarily as a setback and learning lesson for the young Force hero. The Force journeys on film have often involved the transition from teen to young adult except in space opera and myth you take universal experiences that many have experienced on much lesser scales metaphorically to the furthest of extremes.

That said, the experiences they have shared are unique onto themselves and to quote Jung:

[​IMG]

Mila Lazarus likes this.
  8. Fifi Kenobi

Fifi Kenobi Jedi Master star 4

Feb 13, 2019
    I like the connection between Rey and Kylo, whether familial or passionate, doesn't matter to me. Reminds me of the Mortis arc and Beauty and the Beast, and even a little of ahsoka and Annakin. Intimacy doesn't have to be sexual to be profound. Kylo is patricidal, Han then Snoke, but not the women. Them he needs. I like to chew on that.

Sent from my QTASUN1 using Tapatalk

9. Ender_and_Bean

May 19, 2002
    If you’ve seen Solo more than once I’d also be curious to know how the dice moment plays for you now that you saw them play a larger role in Solo.

10. Cave of Erised

Cave of Erised Jedi Knight star 2

May 3, 2018
    This is why I love the scene where Kylo chooses not to fire upon Leia; through a single moment, the film establishes the mother-son dynamic. Whatever has happened between them in the past, there is still a spiritual bond there that cannot be severed by brute force. I think Kylo is aware of this subconsciously. It ties nicely into the greater theme of love versus hate.

Why females specifically get a pass (if you can excuse the phrase) from Anakin and Kylo is symbolic. Their dominant father figures (Snoke and Palpatine) imbued a false sense of masculinity represented by power though death and destruction. Conversely, the female figures (Schmi/Padme and Leia/Rey) represent a different type of power through life and renewal. The good in Anakin and Kylo is attracted tothis positive power that unconsciously tied to the females in their lives.

11. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    I am very invested in Kylo's story. I find that parent/children relationships are the core of the Star Wars soul.

A space fantasy that talks about family.

Mila Lazarus and Fifi Kenobi like this.
  12. Ender_and_Bean

May 19, 2002
    They never expected Fisher to pass. I expect they imagined something special related to redemption between Leia and Ben. They may have lost that possibility. Hence all the rewrites on scripts.

I’m still hoping they can somehow pull off some movie magic.

13. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Maybe that will lead JJ to focus on developing, in a more satisfying way, the female lead character of the film and the black co-lead (both important firsts in Star Wars), rather than focusing on the white male?

14. Ender_and_Bean

May 19, 2002
    Perhaps!

Though, it’s probably in JJ’s best interest, more than anything else, to focus first and foremost on just telling the most interesting, satisfying and powerful ending for the saga as he can.

Tell the best, mythic fantasy story you can first. Public service announcements second. If you can do both in a great way at once in an organic way? Awesome.

Darth Thing and lovethedarkside like this.
  15. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    I’m excited about IX, but I don’t have a huge amount of confidence that JJ can pull all that off. And so I lean towards hoping he focuses on Rey and Finn, from a character perspective. Let Kylo act as a more traditional villain in this one, after having been rejected by Rey. The way I see it is that Kylo had his chance at redemption in TLJ, and unlike Vader, he failed to take it. He could’ve rejected the FO and galactic domination at that point, but he didn’t. And now he is lost.

Essentially, Kylo already had this Vader in ROTJ redemptive opportunity.

godisawesome likes this.
  16. Ender_and_Bean

May 19, 2002
    The difference for me is that I get the sense he believes it’s his destiny to finish what Vader started. He’s driven by a misguided sense of purpose around this. I see it as someone who, perhaps through propaganda, came to beleive that the Skywalker Bloodline was meant to rule the galaxy to ensure balance and bring in a new order without Jedi or Sith. A new balance lead by him.

It’s wrong and he’s clearly out to lunch but anyone driven by that first and foremost probably needs to taste it first before realizing how empty power is without people to love and share life with.

That’s more his redemptive path if he has one. Remember, Vader was focused mostly on saving Padmé and/or bringing her back from the dead and took his protective instincts too the point of fascist totalitarianism through that. Love of family was always a bigger part of him and his redemptive possibities.

Kylo is the opposite because he sees his family as what ruined the legacy he feels the Skywalker Bloodline deserves. So, the Snoke throne room moment and Rey’s plea is going to function closer in structure to when Luke told Vader he’d never join him (and didn’t) and jumped.

Kylo’s redemption if it happens can’t just be someone threatening someone he cares for and that snapping him from his spell. He needs to realize his perception that the Skywalkers are meant to rule is wrong and that his idea of balance is wrong and accept what he’s done as wrong and see that this pursuit of power was empty. He needs to realize that what he wanted for his bloodline and himself wasn’t really what he or the Skywalker Bloodline needs.

Darth Thing and lovethedarkside like this.
  17. Ender_and_Bean

May 19, 2002
    [​IMG]

Top marks for one of the best feasts available from Star Wars.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 28, 2019
  18. smudger9

smudger9 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2007
    Watched TLJ again today whilst on the train. So many great moments in this film. One I hadn’t noticed before is BB8 doing a mouse droid impression when he’s under the trash can. Genius!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

19. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Yeah, I loved that bit. I just love BB-8 in general!

Eternal_Jedi and starfish like this.
  20. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    But, is he worth 60 portions? The debate rages on.:)

21. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    Bare minimum...

I’d say a thousands portions for his actual material value...

...One million portions to ignore his plaintive, heart-breaking wails...

...and there is *NO* price adequate for purchase when he does the thumbs-up lighter thing!

Eternal_Jedi likes this.
  22. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    A fair point.

23. Ender_and_Bean

May 19, 2002
    Every time I saw TLJ in the theatre the kids around me with their dads were losing their minds and looking up and their dads and laughing at BB8’s antics.

He’s definitely a kid favorite in both films. The puppet crew and robotics crew deserve huge props.

Following in the tracks of R2D2 was no easy task.

24. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    Rewatching TFA and being reminded how professionally dangerous the First Order seems when Jojen Reed and Lady MacBeth are making cameos as competent desk jockies.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  25. Ender_and_Bean

May 19, 2002
    I really enjoy how we are getting more into the Dark Side as a needful things type of quality.

Lucas and Kasdan had always given us the framework for that with Yoda’s words but I really like the different paths toward fear that we see in the ST and the close ally of uncertainty and insecurity that lead right into fear. There are so many ways fear can manifest and lead to a quicker and easier path materializing in the mind because of it in the hopes of avoiding it.

Eternal_Jedi and MarcJordan like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.