main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST ST Criticism Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Pro Scoundrel , Jun 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    [​IMG]

2. 2Cleva

2Cleva Chosen One star 5

Apr 28, 2002
    If there wasn't for head canon there would be no canon at all.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 19, 2018
  3. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
  4. 2Cleva

2Cleva Chosen One star 5

Apr 28, 2002
    [​IMG]

5. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    No one in the galaxy has to worry about retaliation from Starkiller Base during TLJ, because it's been destroyed. Despite that threat being non-existent, no one chooses to help the Resistance. Interesting. The FO really did achieve its goal with SKB, because apparently nothing outside the Hosnian system was/is a threat.

It's kinda like (I am aware of the differences) if we go back to ANH and Alderaan is literally the only planet rebelling against the Empire. The Death Star is destroyed, but it doesn't matter, because there are no more planets the Empire needs to destroy or threaten with destruction.

6. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Is that really any different than the OT though? We have a vague idea of the scale of the Empire's military in the sense that we know it's at least big enough to control an entire galaxy. So we also know the First Order is at least large enough to invade an entire galaxy. Each of them throws more and more resources at their respective opponents. Death Star... giant space fleet... giant space fleet + Death Star. Starkiller Base... giant space fleet... ?

Prime Jedi likes this.
  7. Nipuhanipera

Nipuhanipera Force Ghost star 5

May 25, 2014
    Pretty much. And TPTB have openly admitted this, to our sorrow. :(

8. Prime Jedi

Prime Jedi Force Ghost star 6

Apr 14, 2018
    The next step in the progression of over the top armies is a Starkiller Base, that has a Death Star orbiting around it, with a fleet orbiting around the Death Star. :p

9. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    Naturally. JJ are you reading this? :p

Trebor Sabreon likes this.
  10. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    The difference is that in the OT, we were told enough to get the idea that the Empire was massive and the sole major political power in the Galaxy. The Old Republic was gone and there was only a small band of Rebels opposing them. Simple yet effective, and clear. Heck even the name "Galactic Empire" conveys a lot about their scale/power. As was their leader having the title "Emperor."

By contrast "First Order" is far more vague, with "Supreme Leader" sounding more like the title of a cult. Also the FO controls some of the Galaxy, but it's unclear how much, the New Rupublic controls other parts but again it's unclear how much, as is their scale/power/resources in comparison to one another. Then The Resistance and what it is complicates matters more, and unnecessarily so imo. And the seeming contradictions between TFA and TLJ do not help either.

Basically the ST is much more vague and convoluted on things. Also again, bringing up the OT just shows how utterly lacking in new ideas the ST has been so far.

11. ChildOfWinds

ChildOfWinds Chosen One star 6

Apr 7, 2001
    I agree with what you said here, most especially the comment about Luke returning if the resistance had been able to send Han and Chewie for Luke. I still don’t know why chewie and Artoo were willing to maroon Luke on Ahch to at Rey’s orders. As someone said ( maybe you in an earlier post?), the real chewie would have just picked Luke up and carried him into the Falcon.

And if Han had gone WITH Chewie, there is no way that Han would have accepted “ no” as Luke’s answer. Luke would have gone back to the resistance with them.

Sadly, they killed Han off so he couldn’t bring Luke back. But then, why didn’t Leia go? There is NO WAY that Luke would have refused an in person “ request” from his twin sister. Rey turned out to be a bust as the one to appeal to Luke to return. She completely failed in her mission, and I now truly question why rey was sent in the first place. She was really a poor choice to go. She was a complete stranger to Luke and he had no reason to acquiesce to her and go back to the resistance. Why should he agree to go with her? They have no connection and no relationship. It was actually silly for the resistance to send her. They didn’t know her either. She was a stranger to them too. How could they know that they could trust her with this vital mission after just meeting her?

At the end of TFA, I thought that the reason that Rey was sent was because perhaps they did have a connection...that she was his daughter; that she was the daughter of one of his slain Jedi students; that she herself had started training there as a small child and had somehow been lost. It would have made sense for rey to try to bring Luke back if they had some kind of relationship. But since they didn’t, there was no reason at all to send stranger Rey on the mission to convince Luke to return,...especially since they really knew nothing about her. They had just met her. It really makes no sense, particularly when it turned out that Luke never even ended up training Rey as a Jedi or passing the baton to her.

Luke was the whole goal that the ristance members were trying to achieve in TFA, but as it turned out, Luke never really returned to help or to restore the Jedi, which is what lor San teka and the others were hoping, so Luke didn’t really need to be in the film at all.

12. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    we got cranky subversive recluse Luke. yay. [face_party]

Prime Jedi likes this.
  13. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    TFA's dialogue from Hux definitely implies that the FO regards the Republic as a threat they'd definitely prefer to avoid open combat with if they can just space-laser them to death. And of course, the Empire could afford its resources because it dominated the Galaxy, while the PT showed that even half the Galaxy in open secession could muster up roughly equal armies to the galactic power.

There's no way that TFA was implying a hugely public and immediately identifiable presence in the Galaxy. I mean, even Poe, an experienced opponent of the FO, has never seen a Resurgent-class Star Destroyer up close before. and everything in the film and in its supplementary material clearly portrayed the New Republic as far and away the dominant political system of the Galaxy... and quite frankly, that's way too large of man power and industrial base for even the death of one whole system to kill it. Maybe it could be believably cowed by SKB's continued existence... but the implications form TFA's material was that the First Order's fallback plan involved being a leaner, more efficient and deadly version of the Empire on a much smaller scale.

TFA seemed to be set up for a Galactic War where the FO was a power, but not necessarily a superpower, and where they'd be intimidating more from a fanatical and competency standpoint than a sheer resource one.

And TLJ not only reversed course on that, but arguably made the FO seems several times dumber and less competent than even the Empire's most Saturday Morning Cartoon level that occasionally crept up in Rebels. Heck, Captain Canady's whole purpose seems to be to define the FO as klutzy and slow to respond morons in comparison, even though "slow" and "klutzy" was about the last thing you'd call them in TFA.

14. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    It's very different. In the OT we never see in a single movie a comically big ship destroyed in the first minutes, followed by another one few minutes later, eventually destroyed again, just to see that after that second destruction the enemy is still overpowerful anyway.

15. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    I don't really get this argument. Ships being destroyed is new to Star Wars?

EHT likes this.
  16. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    I think you do get what I'm saying. The Supremacy is closer to the DS than an average ship. TLJ is more or less like seeing the DS destroyed three time in a single movie. With the enemy that are still dominating afterwards.

17. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    Not just The Supremacy, but a bunch of SD's around it as well.

18. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    No, that's why I asked for clarification. I'm not in the habit of wasting my own time. :)

Anyway, yes the Supremacy is closer in size to a Death Star than a normal ship. That's obviously since it's a lot bigger than a normal ship. However, it is still not even close to being the size of even the first Death Star. From wing to wing the Supremacy is something like 60 kilometers whereas the original Death Star is 160 kilometers. You could fit two Supremacy's in the Death Star and still have room to spare. The second Death Star is 200 kilometers. Quite a bit bigger. Not to mention the superior firepower of the two Death Stars.

The Supremacy, while definitely enormous, is really just an oversized Star Destroyer. Not in anyway comparable to a Death Star or Starkiller Base.

19. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    For the sake of slowing the speed on this merry go round I am gonna attempt to assume that 3smlr means from a narrative standpoint. Like, if Wedge and Lando blew up the Death Star, Vader tossed Sidious down a shaft, the reactor got blown on Endor... and then the Empire just showed up seemingly fully powered. Could there have been thousands of survived troops and walkers? Sure. But, I'm guessing the argument is that that is kinda just deflating from a narrative angle.

20. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    Yeah, I don't even know what deflating and merry go round mean without googling them, but I feel Chorus perfectly summarized my point of view.

21. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    I would agree that that would be a terrible way to tell a story if there were any kind of euphoric victory like Endor that was immediately undone by the First Order. The way it plays out in TLJ is more like a huge sigh of relief that you've gotten away from the big monster or shark or serial killer only for it to keep coming back again and again. Slowly but surely it kills off all of your friends until it's just you that's left. It's only then that you finally escape. But you've taken an enormous beating in the process and the monster isn't even dead yet.

22. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    [​IMG]

23. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    Correct.

It is the Star Wars equivalent of:

[​IMG]

24. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    I'm quite disappointed with the sudden turn in this conversation toward narrative gobbledygook. I much preferred to discuss starship specifications. :p

25. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    @Darth Chiznuk
    That's fair, but the same result could have been achieved without this exaggerated demonstration of power. Especially since, as we see, in order to balance the conflict they had to ad hoc decrease the IQ of the FO generals so that the Resistance can survive. If the FO proceeded with the most obvious strategy it would have simply annihilated the Resistance in one of the several occasions it had.

@Pro Scoundrel
    Do we have a gif in which the indicted tries to reply and his lawyer quietly suggests him to avoid talking 'cause it is in his best interests to let it go?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.