main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST ST Criticism Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Pro Scoundrel , Jun 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    Then I don't think he wouldn't have said "he walked away from everything." But, fair enough.

Suicidal?

TOASTEROVEN and DarthPhilosopher like this.
  2. Solo88

Solo88 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 31, 2018
    Luke tells Rey in TLJ that he came to the island to die. So yes, Luke is suicidal.

3. Count Yubnub

Oct 1, 2012
    I took that to mean that he came to that island to live out the rest of his days as a hermit. Not that he was going to take his own life.

TOASTEROVEN and DarthPhilosopher like this.
  4. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    As I've said before, Han didn't HAVE to be right. Especially since his comment that "those who knew him best said that he went looking for the first Jedi Temple," implies that others knew more about Luke's motivations than he did. Also if Luke just wanted to run off to die, then going to that specific spot suddenly makes far less sense, he could have gone anywhere if that's all that he wanted to do.

It's harder to buy that, than Luke going there for a specific purpose.

kalzeth, godisawesome , Aiel and 7 others like this.
  5. 2Cleva

2Cleva Chosen One star 5

Apr 28, 2002
    I thought JJ was using Han to try to hide his relationship with Luke just as Han didn't come right out and explain to Rey and Finn who he was.

Doesn't really matter since RJ did his own thing regardless. But from JJ changing the ending it's clear he had other ideas on why Luke was on the island.

When you treat the ST like a "choose your own adventure" for directors then stuff like this happens.

ScreenRant chimes in. Considering the previous articles they have posted they now are making vids that fit right in with the complaints of the ST.

6. wobbits

wobbits Force Ghost star 4

Apr 12, 2017
    Well since Han failed, I am so glad we have those out there who are hoping that Chewie dies trying to save Kylo......:rolleyes: ( a tweet I read right before catching up in the discussion)

I love how that video says JJ brought his "love for everything Star Wars" sorry, I don't see how you can destroy something you supposedly love. My issue isn't that there was too little time frame between TFA and R1. I never believed that whole film fatigue argument. I agree with the video in that we want GOOD CONTENT, not hurried up, story and lore destroying content one right after the other. I waited for a long time for the PT, I remember what it feels like to have no new SW movies on the horizon but that doesn't mean fans are going to go be satisfied with the mess we got with the ST just because it's a trilogy coming after a long drought.

Ewoks aired in 1985. Kids were not fans of Jar Jar and getting up on Saturday mornings to watch it.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2019
    kalzeth, La Calavera and PendragonM like this.
  7. Jedi_Fenrir767

Jedi_Fenrir767 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 16, 2013
    The reason they are posting Stuff like this is that when you look at Merchandise sales, falling comic and book sales you can't go out of your way to say that hey the movie did just fine critics loved it and fans are wrong. When there is clearly a lack of interest in the franchise that is affecting the bottom line if you continue supporting the ST like nothing is wrong then your just going to loose all credibility so they don't really have a choice anymore.

8. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    It's certainly possible that more than one journalist that works for ScreenRant and that they will post multiple articles with different perspectives.

9. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2017
    The eclipse is pretty cool

10. Obironsolo

Obironsolo Force Ghost star 4

Feb 7, 2005
    Because TLJ is not unlike the climate change debate. No real consensus at this time.

11. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    There many never be a consensus, because thoughts about films aren't based upon any facts and therefore people can continue to reasonably disagree. Which is why it's not surprising that ScreenRant has started giving people in its staff with different perspectives more of a voice.

I'm not sure why you'd use climate change as an example o something without a consensus, but that's not really relevant...

12. Obironsolo

Feb 7, 2005
    Just a joke. We disagree about whether a consensus exists, but you are right, it is certainly subjective and everyone's opinion is equally valid to them.

Prime Jedi and DarthPhilosopher like this.
  13. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I heard RJ is a huge fan of Dirty Dancing.
    [​IMG]

Hungry eyes
    One look at you and I can't disguise I've got
    [​IMG]
    Hungry eyes
    [​IMG]

I feel the magic between you and I!

Surprise twist (in case you haven't had enough of those), ST Criticism thread! I've been a Reylo fan all along! MUAH HA HA HAHA HAAAA!

Actually I just like Dirty Dancing both ironically and unironically.

Ah ha ha look at how Kylo is giving her absolutely nothing in that second gif except a heart of stone. It's like anti-arousal coming from him.

This never bothered me because I immediately thought he was talking about himself. I hated just about everything about Han in that movie, though.

wobbits, kalzeth, Abadacus and 4 others like this.
  14. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    Oh I see you're saying that the actually is a consensus.

I don't believe I've seen a single poll that indicates there is consensus. It's the definition of a divisive film.

15. Obironsolo

Feb 7, 2005
    We view the evidence differently, and that's fine.

With all past SW movies, I've always spent the time between movies speculating about what would come next... Usually this part is equally as fun as seeing the films themselves. Like the "getting there is half the fun" idea. But unfortunately this time around, that normal conversation of speculation for Episode IX doesn't seem to exist, at least not that I've seen, at least not in an enthusiastic way... Since TLJ did not leave us with much to look forward to, IMO, I have found myself stuck debating the merits of TLJ instead of excitedly thinking about Episode IX.

I genuinely appreciate opposing opinions at this point because otherwise I probably wouldn't be actively thinking about this franchise at all, and that's the real shame.

kalzeth, Jedi_Fenrir767 and Abadacus like this.
  16. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    How do you view the evidence differently? All the polls I have seen show a sharp divide? How could these be interpreted as a 'consensus' about the film?

Count Yubnub likes this.
  17. Count Yubnub

Oct 1, 2012
    Weird thing to be sarcastic about.

18. Obironsolo

Feb 7, 2005
    Forgive me for thinking there was a consensus that climate change was real. I stand corrected. Sorry this got things off track.

19. Count Yubnub

Oct 1, 2012
    There is.

20. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2017
    Well this much is true: There are multi-billion dollar mega corporations trying to influence public opinion and lobby the highest levels of the political establishment to promote the idea that most scientists believe climate change is fake.

Likewise: A multi-billion mega corporation, the largest media conglomerate in history, is actively leveraging its power to promote the idea that a majority of SW fans like the ST.

wobbits, Solo88, Aiel and 6 others like this.
  21. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    Apart from the fact that the articles from individuals who don't believe it is divisive amongst SW fans aren't necessarily 'leveraged' by Disney, I'm not sure how it confirms any 'consensus' that the film is disliked. It seems pretty clear there is no consensus either way. I'd like to see the evidence you have @Obironsolo.

22. AhsokaSolo

AhsokaSolo Force Ghost star 7

Dec 23, 2015
    Haha exactly! I always wonder if I’m the only one totally stumped when people post this gif as proof of romance. Sure, if you’re looking at Rey, DR is working some “come hither” vulnerability. Then you pan over to dead-eyes, come ON Rey. Girl is clearly cripplingly naive if she didn’t get the “he’s just not that into you” vibe right then and there.

23. Obironsolo

Feb 7, 2005
    Is this a joke? In my view, the video made the case that TLJ was not embraced by SW fans the way the past movies have been. I concur with the video's opinion. But then it was suggested that we might get another video with a different opinion....and that would, I inferred, somehow equalize the two opinions in some way. I don't see it that way. I see the view in the video as being accurate, and seeing another video dispute those claims wouldn't somehow prove there are two sides to the debate. The other side would presumably be this negativity ascribed towards TLJ is not real, and that it was somehow better received than some of us believe. I was suggesting that someone who tries to argue there is no consensus on this film is like someone arguing there is no consensus about climate change. Okay? I'm not sure why being sarcastic about climate change is weird, but I'm willing to accept that you think it is. And it was a joke.

We've had this debate. I was actually chastised by the mods for making generalizations about how fans felt. If the rules change, I'll present all the evidence I can.

kalzeth likes this.
  24. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    Urgh, that's not what I said. I simply said that there are multiple possible opinions.

Climate change is backed up by mountains of scientific evidence. If I remember correctly your 'evidence' that there is a consensus about TLJ being disliked is based upon your anecdotal observations about peoples thoughts, ignoring the fact that every poll conducted shows a sharp divide. The fact you'd draw a comparison between these two things is what I suspect @Count Yubnub thinks is 'weird'.

25. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014

Now THERE'S some actual chemistry.

And there. Heck in the novelization for TFA, even Han thought it was cute, he just felt like doing it when they're still in great danger wasn't the best time.

Compare this to Darth Emo Hairgel and, well there is no comparison.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.