main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga - ST ST Doctor's Orders (Dr. Kalonia, Chewbacca, Finn, Han) humor, friendship multi-post story.

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by brodiew, Jul 17, 2018.

1. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    Title: Doctor's Orders
    Characters: Dr. Kalonia, Chewbacca, Finn, Han Solo
    Genre: Humor, drama, friendship
    A/N: I really enjoyed the very brief scene in TFA featuring Chewie and Dr. Kalonia. This fic is missing scene leading up to and follow that scene in the film. The chapter will be relatively short, but fun, I think. I considered a DDC featuring Dr. Kalonia, but the prospect frightens me a bit. I hope you enjoy.

EDIT: I was not happy with the original post so I reworked the opening and added a small bit of dialogue on the middle. It feels better.

Doctor’s Orders

Dr. Harter Kalonia sat quietly on a stool in her make shift medbay while the jubilant sounds of victory reverberated through the halls of the Resistance Base at D'Qar. She felt a profound sense of relief at the destruction of the Starkiller monstrosity because she had lost many friends and family in the Hosnian system. She was thankful that no more star systems would suffer the same fate. However, there as no rest for the doctor. Even as the party went on outside, she still had patients to see. Returning her attention to her datapad, she reviewed the meager file she had on the next being she would see.

Harter's study of the file was interrupted by the painful growls and mewliings of a Wookie.
    The level of frustration evident in the frantic barking meant she needed to find him quickly or there might be other injuries and, potentially, more egregious ones.

As she rounded the corridor which opened into the docking bay, she saw two long, furry brown arms waving in the air, shredded bandages hanging loosely from them. The Wookiee, Chewbacca, was framed by the ship he help make famous, the Millennium Falcon. She wondered where its captain had run off to when his friend was in such distress.

Harter quickened her pace. Chewbacca was obviously in pain, which made trying to understand what he was saying that much harder. It sounded like: “Takodana attack….castle destroyed...limb from limb…head will still…helmet.” As she approached, she saw the former stormtrooper, Finn, trying to sooth him. Other resistance crew were present, but keeping a safe distance from the swinging arms.

[What appears to be the trouble, Chewbacca?] Harter barked in Shyriiwook. Her tone was firm, but with an underlying care that her inflection communicated to the Woookie. Finn, as well as the other bystanders, turned in her direction, startled by the strange sound of the Wookie language coming from a human being.

Chewbacca himself was even surprised into momentary silence as they all stared at her. She paid them no mind and slipped through the small crowd until she stood directly in front of her patient.

[Where are you hurt?] she asked, locking eyes with him.

Still, he made no response. In a clear act of bravery, she reached for his wrist, on the arm with the loose and inadequate bandaging. He pulled the arm away, but not violently.

[Don’t touch me,] he growled, but with no anger.

[I understand we don’t know each other,] Harter said. [But, I am the resident doctor. If you are going to be treated with more than glorified refresher tissue, I suggest you come with me.]

Chewbacca laughed at that in short breathy emissions. He looked at Finn and his shoulders trembled in conjunction with this humor.

"What's so funny," Finn asked, anxiously.

Harter repeated what she had said in Basic.

“Laugh it up, Cranky,” Finn said, with mild embarrassment. “I did what Han…told me to do. You're not the most agreeable patient, you know?”

The Wookie’s humor ended abruptly and Harter could see fresh pain enter his eyes. She gave him the 'once over' for additional wounds, but found none. [We'll see about that, won't we, Chewbacca?]

[HanSolo is with General Organa. He left me with this Imp. Can you believe it?] Chewbacca declared. [Now, please take me to your medbay. The wound is still open.]

Harter eyed him dubiously, switching back to basic which she knew he understood very well. “An Imperial, indeed. I heard you had a sense of humor. Come on, then.”

Noticing Finn feigning hurt feelings, she led the Wookie through the crowd back to her domain.

To be continued...

Last edited: Jul 17, 2018
  2. ThisIsMe1138

ThisIsMe1138 Chosen One star 6

Jun 26, 2018
    This one's definitely funny :cool: This is the first of your stories that I've read, and I like it :D Nice characterization of Chewie and Finn (and Harter, I guess, but I don't know much about her, so ;)) Best line: [face_laugh]
    Looking forward to the next part :)

Last edited: Jul 17, 2018
    Findswoman and brodiew like this.
  3. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    [face_laugh] I love Kalonia's blend of authoritative "I'm the doctor here" with calm poise and a wry wit. =D=

Findswoman , ThisIsMe1138 and brodiew like this.
  4. Raissa Baiard

Raissa Baiard FFoF Artist Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Nov 22, 1999
    =D= So nice to see Dr. Kalonia get some attention! I thought she was great in her brief a[pearance in TFA; how can you not like someone who treats the Mighty Chewbacca with the same soothing reassurance you’d show a three year-old with a boo-boo: “yes, you’re very brave.”

I like how you’re developing her character; she’s obviously dedicated to her profession and knows her stuff, but she’s not just one of those doctors who see patients as their injuries or ailments. Given that she’s treating them in a war zone and has probably seen a lot of horrific cases, it says a lot for her that she hasn’t moved to that kind of assembly line detachment. You can see that she really does care by the way she combines humor with her no-nonsense manner to break through Chewbacca's defensive tendencies. It's really interesting that her she not only understands Shriiwook (and I hope I've spelled that correctly, so Chewie won't rip my arms off) but she also speaks it. I can see where that would really be an attention getter!

It seems to me that part of Chewbacca's crankiness here is due not just to his physical pain but also his concern for Han... and maybe even for Ben/Kylo. It must have be as traumatic to him as it was to Han and Leia to see Ben go to the Dark Side. And Finn is his eager, awkward self who wants to help Chewie--but giant cranky Wookiee.

Very nice beginning here; I look forward to seeing more of the good Doctor and her patients!

5. Hopefulwriter

Hopefulwriter Jedi Master star 3

Jan 6, 2016
    Well written and funny. Enjoyed reading it. Lynda V.

6. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Oh, I like the start that this is off to! I too enjoyed the brief scene with Chewbacca and Dr. Kalonia in TFA, and it is indeed wonderful to see her role being expanded on here—I always love a good GFFA "missing scene." I too love that you have her able to speak Shyriiwook as well as understand it—I immediately thought of Han's attempts in Solo, though she seems to be much more articulate than he is. :D Here, as in her brief TFA scene, she's got a perfect blend of bedside manner and decisiveness; one needs a lot of the latter when treating scrappy, no-nonsense freedom fighters of the Resistance variety, especially huge hairy ones. :chewie: A little humor goes a long way in such a situation, too—on both sides, as she reminds Chewie. And aw, dear old Finn, he did the best he could!

Keep up the fine work—I'm really looking forward to seeing what will come next, and how you will continue the expansion on both this scene and this character! =D=