main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Story [Star Trek 2009] To Boldly Go: The Continuing Adventures of the USS Enterprise [Updated 1/3]

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by RX_Sith, Aug 10, 2010.

1. RX_Sith

RX_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 13, 2006
    Title: To Boldly Go: The Continuing Adventures of the USS Enterprise
    Author: RX_Sith
    Fandom: Star Trek 2009 and Beyond
    Characters: All of the crew of the Enterprise and more
    Genre: Action, humor, and bromance
    Summary: The Enterprise crew continues its voyages of discovering strange new worlds and boldly going where no one has gone before.
    Disclaimer: Nothing belongs to me, but I can still at least kick the doors.
    A/N: This will be more than a retelling of certain episodes, stories and ideas from both TOS and the movies with now the Star Trek 2009 crew as altered by the timeline.

Best Action 2011: WINNER

Best Sci-Fi 2011: WINNER

[b]Episode 1: Imbalanced Terror[/b]

[b]Act I:[/b]

Stardate 1709.1: Captain's Log: The USS Enterprise is responding to distress calls from border outposts along the Neutral Zone between the Federation and the Romulan Star Empire. As we make our harrowing approach towards our unseen adversary, one of the stations sends us a brief view of the attacking ship before it is destroyed by a large greenish vessel with a huge warbird on its underbelly.

"Red Alert," Kirk orders his crew as the mysterious vessel disappears from the viewscreen.

The crew take their respective posts for battle as they await further orders from the Captain. The ship is now staged for war and each crew member is poised for the upcoming conflicts that may arise somewhere out in the vastness of space.

A mask of unveiled grittiness is glued to each person's face as they venture further into this void in space. Long ago a treaty was signed where neither side saw the others' faces. History would not be repeating itself again this time. This would be a fight where the Federation would finally see the Romulans and likewise.

"Lieutenant Styles, report," Kirk commands from his chair right behind his Helmsman.

"They've just disappeared, Captain," Styles reports, "All I get now is nothing."

"Spock?" Kirk asks, "Anything to report?"

"Negative, Captain," Spock replies, "As Mr. Styles remarked; nothing."

"They couldn't have just disappeared without a trace," Kirk remarked.

"They is some sub-space interference present," Spock told him, "Most likely from the Romulan vessel."

"Can you pinpoint it?" Kirk inquisitively questions his First Officer.

"No, Captain," Spock tells him, "But it seems to change slightly as it moves back towards the Romulan side of the Neutral Zone."

"Back towards home," Kirk states as a matter-of-fact.

"Yes, Captain," Spock assures him.

"Exactly where I would head if I were their Captain," Kirk remarks.

"Well, we're going to follow them, right?" Lt. Styles inquires.

"I didn't come all this way to give up," Kirk reassures him, "Set course for the remaining outpost remaining; number 4."

"Aye, Captain," Styles clicks the switches as the ship heads towards the last remaining outpost on the Federation side of the Neutral Zone.

Hours earlier, the ship was set to hold their first marriage ceremony aboard the ship. Angela Martine and Robert Tomlinson were set to be married when their ceremony was interrupted by the Romulan attacks on the Federation Outposts, which serve as listening posts of the Neutral Zone between Federation and Romulan space. Kirk does not want the last outpost to be destroyed as well by the Romulans as that would leave the Federation defenseless to any advanced warnings or breaches by the Romulans entering the Neutral Zone.

As the ship races towards the last remaining Outpost, they raise it on their viewscreen.

"Outpost 4, this is Captain Kirk, acknowledge," Kirk asks for verbal feedback.

"Captain Kirk, this is Outpost 4, Lt. Marks acknowledging" the Federation Officer answers, "We see a ship entering our space. Do you see it Enterprise? Do you see it?"

"No, we do not see it, Lt." Kirk tells him.

"I'm showing you my viewscreen," Lt. Marks switches to his viewscreen.

It the distance space seems to slightly distort as an unseen vessel approaches. Suddenly a large green ship emerges from nothingness. It fires a green blob of

2. mrjop2

mrjop2 Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 6, 2007
    Good start. I always loved Star Trek, but I just can't write fan fiction for it because it is a very difficult show due to all the techno babble. You've done a fine job getting that techno babble.

3. RX_Sith

Mar 13, 2006
    Thanks. Technobabble is an acquired taste from numerous re-watching of TOS episodes and of course the movies along with the other iterations of Star Trek as well.

4. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    An embarrassment of riches RX!!!! :* :*

Yeehaw!!

Can you PM when you update?

[face_dancing]

5. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    This ride is going to be so much fun!!

You have their voices down pat, and I am anxious to see what you'll do with some of the future episodes. [face_thinking]

Oh yes, PMs would be greatly appreciated! [:D]

~MJ @};-

6. RX_Sith

Mar 13, 2006
    Jade_eyes: Thank you as well. Of course I will send you PM's when I update. [:D]

Mira_Jade: The ride is just starting and hopefully it will be a fun ride. Thanks for your compliments and I will also PM you as well with the updates to this adventure. [:D]

7. RX_Sith

Mar 13, 2006
    Imbalanced Terror

Act Two

Lt. Styles stared purposely at Mr. Spock. Captain Kirk, seeing his navigator distracted tapped his fingers on the console in front of the Lieutenant.

"I'm having difficulty translating the encrypted codes, Captain," Uhuru stated reluctantly.

"Maybe Spock can decipher them," Styles remarked under his breath.

"What was that?" Kirk demanded.

"I said," Styles stared daggers at Spock, "That maybe Mr. Spock can decipher the encryption."

"I take it that you are commending Mr. Spock on his expertise," Kirk coerced him.

Styles did not reply; he merely stared suspiciously at the Vulcan Science Officer.

Kirk whirled Styles chair directly toward him. "There will be no bigotry on this ship. Do you hear me, Lieutenant?"

"Crystal clear," Styles spat out.

Spock took the recording from Lt. Uhuru and listened carefully to the encrypted recording. "It will take some time to decipher, Captain," Spock stoically stated.

Meanwhile, on the Romulan vessel, the Romulan Commander waits impatiently for a report.

"Who transmitted this?" he questions his Centurion.

"I did sir," Decius, a crewman announces proudly, "I was informing our homeworld of our glorious victory."

"A victory that still may not be," the Romulan Commander scolds him, "You're hereby reduced two steps in rank."

The Romulan crewmember salutes him in the familiar Romulan manner of making a fist, then bringing it to his chest, then saluting with his palm forward and flat.

"Be careful, Commander," the Centurion warns his comrade, "he has friends who have immense power. And power is danger."

"Danger and I are old companions," the Romulan Commander states proudly, "I live for danger just as any other Romulan would."

On the Enterprise a meeting is taking place in the ready room. Kirk, McCoy, Spock, Scotty, and Stiles are present around the table.

Spock brings in a piece of rubble from the destroyed Outpost. He crumbles it easily in his hands. "That was the hardest surface material known to man," Spock states matter of factly.

"They do not have any warp capability," Scotty tells everyone.

"Meaning that we can outrun them," Kirk announces.

"Correct," Scotty reinstates.

"Options," Kirk states.

"We must attack," Styles bursts out, "They are still on our side of the Neutral Zone. There's no doubt that they are the attackers here."

"My God, man," Bones remarks, "Are you suggesting that we declare war."

"Running away will only guarantee war, Doctor," Styles boldly declares, "the Romulans will attack us will full force if they see us cowardly retreat. Plus, I want to know why Mr. Spock never hid the fact of his heritage away from the crew. He's the so-called expert here on these Romulans."

"That will be enough, Mister," Kirk cautions Styles.

"I agree," Spock states stoically, "If these Romulans are indeed offshoots of my race; and the facts suggest that they are; then we must attack."

"My God, Mr. Spock!" Bones shouts out, "Do you realize what that means?"

"Yes, Doctor," Spock states matter of factly, "They are more dangerous then any of us can realize. They may not be the same Romulans that Nero and his men were, but still they have retained the old emotions and savagery of my ancestors. Attacking is the only logical choice."

"All hands to battle stations," Kirk orders, "Prepare for attack."

To be continued...

8. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Awesome post.

I want to knock Mr. Styles into next week. I did that with TOS "Balance of Terror" as well.

Not just on principle, though of course that stands -- but I'm slightly ... LOL!!!!! wild about Vulcans, and one in particular.

Who doesn't know that already? LOL

Eagerly awaiting Act III.

[face_love]

9. mrjop2

mrjop2 Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 6, 2007
    Great story so far.

I find Bones funny, because he always starts off a sentence saying, "My god, man!"

10. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    Thanks for the PM. [:D]

A great piece of writing so far - your dialogue is quick and fun to read, and I'm enjoying the story all around. Although, I'd like to knock Styles into next week. >_>. Maybe even next month, if we can manage it. Although I found it ironic that it was Spock whom agreed with him to attack. ;) That was fun - as was McCoy's ire.

You have so many classic things going on here. Thanks for the great read so far. [:D]

~MJ @};-

11. RX_Sith

Mar 13, 2006
    Jade_eyes: Yes, unfortunately Lt. Styles was not politically correct to Spock or his race.

mrjop2: Yes, I agree. Bones is pretty great and funny especially when uttering his "My God..." lines.

Mira_Jade: Thanks, I'm trying to keep the dialogue as quick as possible. This episode definitely keeps it going thankfully. Spock, thankfully, doesn't hold grudges and even he realizes that the Romulans are not friendly.

[b]Imbalanced Terror[/b]

[b]Act Three[/b]

The comet ahead appeared on the viewscreen in majestic glory. Such a natural and even beautiful event was know going to be used to the Enterprise's advantage. The ship jumped to warp to do an end-around the comet to cut off the Romulan ship and then they would cripple or destroy it if necessary.

"Sir," a Romulan crewmember spoke, "Our reflection... it has disappeared."

"Are you certain?" the Romulan Commander asked.

"Yes, sir," the Romulan crewmember responded, "It no longer follows us."

"Quick, turn around!" the Romulan Commander ordered.

The Enterprise emerged from the comet's tail to the blackness and emptiness of space.

"It's not there," Sulu comments.

"They must have guessed our move," Kirk announced, "Quickly, turn hard to port. Lay down some fire."

"Striking that ship will be the most incredible amount of luck," Lt. Styles stated.

"Just do it," Kirk ordered.

The Enterprise fired randomly into the vastness of space. The Romulan ship shook and shuddered as each explosion hit close by.

"How Commander?" the Romulan Centurion asked.

"This one's a sorcerer," the Romulan Commander remarked, "He reads my thoughts as I would read his."

The Romulan Commander stood under a support beam to recollect his thoughts on his prey. Suddenly, the beam dislodged and the Romulan Centurion pushed him out of the way from the falling beam. It instantly crushed the Romulan Centurian inflicting him with life-threatening wounds.

Meanwhile, on the Enterprise, the phaser and photon torpedo circuits short out. Spock starts to work on the malfunctioning equipment. The Romulan ship emerges in front of the Enterprise and fires its primary weapon and then once again disappears into the emptiness of space.

"Captain," Sulu announces, "Look!"

"Full reverse!" Kirk orders.

The ship lurches into reverse as it tries to outrun the green blob of plasma that is approaching it.

"Phasers, photon torpedoes?" Kirk queries his First Officer.

"Impossible to fix in time," Spock announces.

The green blob of plasma starts to dissipate slightly.

"It must have some sort of range," Sulu remarks.

Kirk holds Lt. Rand, the ship's Yeoman close to himself as the energetic plasma finally catches its prey. The ship rocks violently from the resulting explosion. Everyone recovers to their original positions prior to the hit on their ship.

"Phasers and photon torpedoes are now back on line," Spock announces.

"Fire," Kirk orders.

Once again the ship lays down a barrage of phaser and photon torpedo fire again exploding closely to the Romulan warship.

"Sir, we are at the Neutral Zone," Lt. Styles states.

Kirk calls Lt. Rand over.

"Captain's Log: I have no choice but to follow the Romulan vessel into the Neutral Zone. No other option is available. On my command only I am ordering my ship into the Neutral Zone."

The Romulan Commander orders the debris and even his former crew member to be placed in the garbage.

"Forgive me, my friend," the Romulan Commander mourns his loss, "But now I must use my experience to get home."

The Enterprise scans the debris field, but in doing so they lose track of their foe.

"They've disappeared," Spock remarks.

"Shut off all non-essential equipment," Kirk orders, "Play dead."

To be continued...

12. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Marvelous writing and superb pacing =D= I actually can "see" the events unfolding =D=

Wonderful edge of seatness :D

:)

13. RX_Sith

Mar 13, 2006
    Jade_eyes: Thanks. I'm glad that at least this story is keeping up the pace and excitement that the original episode gave.

[b]Imbalanced Terror[/b]

[b]Act Four[/b]

Captain's log, supplemental: Now motionless for 9 hours 47 minutes. We are playing the waiting game as we continue our repairs. Suddenly, Spock reaches up to his console and hits a button by accident. He immediately shuts it off, but now I know that we must act.

"Sir," a Romulan crewman reports, "We have them."

"Quickly," the Romulan Commander orders, "Move in."

"Fire!" Kirk orders, "Lay down another spread!"

The Enterprise lays down another spread of phaser and photon torpedo fire once again slightly damaging the Romulan Warbird.

"Place more debris in the garbage chutes!" the Romulan Commander orders, "Including a nuclear warhead!"

"Yes, sir," the Romulan crewman obliges his orders.

"Sir, more debris ahead," Lt. Styles reports.

"Spock?" Kirk queries.

"Scanning, Captain," Spock remarks, "Detecting more debris, plus one metal cased object!"

"Fire!" Kirk orders.

The phasers fire point-blank at the metal casing as it explodes causing minimal damage to the Enterprise.

"Now, we head for home," the Romulan Commander orders.

"But, sir," Decius, a Romulan crewman objects, "We have them at our mercy."

"I do not trust their Captain," the Romulan Commander tells him.

"Sir, it is our duty to destroy them," Decius complains, "If you won't, then give me the order to do so."

"We will destroy them," the Romulan Commander reluctantly agrees, "But, on my order."

"Captain, the phaser control room is currently only manned by Tomlinson," Lt. Uhuru reports.

"Captain, my first experience on a starship was in phaser control," Styles announces.

"Lt. Styles, report to Engineering," Kirk orders.

Spock also goes down to Phaser Control to check on Tomlinson and Styles.

"Do you gentlemen require my assistance?" Spock asks.

"We can handle things without your help, Vulcan," Styles spits out.

Spock leaves Phaser control back towards the turbo shaft. A coolant leak starts to spray from the phaser control coolant.

"Tomlinson," Styles points at the leak.

Suddenly, the Romulan Warbird emerges from its cloak directly in front of the Enterprise.

"Fire!" Kirk orders.

"Phasers inoperative," Lt. Sulu responds.

"Fire!" Kirk repeats his order, "Phaser Control, do you copy, Fire!"

Spock turns around and enters the Phaser Control room. He sees the coolant leaking and holds his breath as he hits the buttons to fire the phasers on the enemy ship. The phasers strike the Romulan Warbird crippling it.

The Romulan Commander looks upon his crippled Bridge summarizing all of the damage. He has a look of regret and anguish on his face as Kirk contacts him.

"Romulan Commander," Kirk states, "We'll beam aboard your survivors."

"No, that is not our way," the Romulan Commander remarks, ""I regret that we meet in this way. You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend. Just one last duty to perform."

The Romulan Commander turns and activates the Romulan Warbird's self-destruct sequence. The ship implodes upon itself.

Kirk goes to Sickbay to check on the status of Spock and the rest of the injured crew. Spock is there along with the crewmen that he rescued; Styles and Tomlinson.

"I'm just glad that Vulcans don't hold grudges," Styles announces.

"Good thing for you that they don't," McCoy remarks.

"Are you ready for your wedding?" Kirk asks Tomlinson.

"I sure am!" Tomlinson replies.

"Now, hold on there a minute," McCoy bemoans, "I haven't finished checking you out yet."

Lt. Tomlinson and Lt. Martinez reconvene in the Ship's Chapel for their wedding ceremony with the Captain presiding over the wedding once again.

"Since the days of the first wooden vessels, all ship masters have had one happy privilege: that of uniting two people in the bonds of matrimony," Kirk starts the ceremony.

14. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Hey:

Nice wrap!! =D=
    I love how Jim is compelled to treat the survivors of the recent conflict with compassion, especially in the wake of Nero's atrocities :cool: :)

This reads more like a TV script -- in lieu of a novel chapter [face_thinking]

Draws more attention to the action and the rapid-fire dialogue. :)

I am very glad that Tomlinson and Martinez's ceremony could pick back up again ;)

15. RX_Sith

Mar 13, 2006
    Jade_eyes: Thanks for the review and to your recommendation to do a debriefing after each episode which I present below.

[b]Imbalanced Terror[/b]

[b]Debriefing[/b]

Captain's Log: Stardate 1709.9; Having disposed of the Romulan Warbird and reentering Federation space, I cant' help but wonder when the Romulans will attack the Federation again. With no outposts to warn us about their possible intrusion into Federation space, it will now fall upon a rotation of ships to constantly monitor the Neutral Zone until the Outposts can be rebuilt. Even after that, I would not leave them defenseless without Starship support any time soon. I have called for a debriefing to be held amongst my senior officers.

Debriefing Room: "Is there anything that anyone wants to add to my recommendations to Starfleet as far as the monitoring of the Neutral Zone?" Kirk asks his fellow officers.

"What is our status now, Captain?" Styles wonders.

"We are to stay nearby the Neutral Zone and monitor for any more Romulan movement," Kirk states the ship's new orders, "We are to be relieved in one standard month by the Farrugut. At that time, Lt. Styles, you will transfer to the Farragut for your next assignment."

"Am I being disciplined, Captain?" Styles asks.

"Think of it as a new opportunity," Kirk states matter-of-factly.

"I understand, sir," Styles replies.

"You may go now, Mr. Styles," Kirk orders.

"Yes, sir," Styles stands and leaves the debriefing room.

"I do not wish to be the cause of his dismissal, Captain," Spock remarks.

"You're not, Mr. Spock," Kirk reassures him, "He was due to rotate to another Starship in six months anyway. This is just Starfleet speeding up the process."

"Do you think that he will understand?" Bones asks.

"I am sure that Mr. Styles will realize that Starfleet is affording him a new start," Kirk tells his Medical Officer, "Even I can relate to that."

"True, very true," Spock blurts out.

"Are you suggesting something, Mr. Spock?" Kirk questions his First Officer.

"No, Captain," Spock stoically replies, "Just agreeing with your assessment."

"I don't know whether to take that as an insult or not," Kirk snickers.

"I assure you Captain that I meant nothing of it," Spock remarks.

"You pointy ear bastard," McCoy raises his voice, "I bet you didn't."

Kirk merely laughs at the two officers as they engage in their familiar banter.

"Well, if you gentlemen don't mind, I've got a ship to run," Kirk announces, "Meeting adjourned."

McCoy and Spock both look at each other puzzled briefly as Kirk exits from the debriefing room.

"Doctor..." Spock begins.

"Forget it," Bones cuts him off, "You always win every argument anyway," he concludes as he quickly exits before Spock can get in the last word.

Spock merely ignores him and returns to his quarters where Nyota is waiting for him.

"How did the debriefing go?" Nyota wonders.

"It went well," Spock states succintly.

"I bet," she teases him.

"Let's just forget it and instead focus on you instead," Spock brushes her shoulder with the back of his hand.

"You had me once you walked into the door," Nyota melts into his arms.

16. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Love the tone of the debriefing -- has all the classic elements -- all business ;) transitions into Bones/Spock type banter.

:D

That was what drew me first into loving Trek way back in the day -- the teasing -- so like sibs who just have to rib each other :) or best friends who know each other so well they know just what buttons to push [face_laugh]

And the bit at the end. Squee!

I love this -- it's so coming home to my life-mate -- cozy and private and relaxed and loving all at once.

Melts into a heap of happy fangirl goo!!

[face_love]

Perfectamundo LOL

[:D]

17. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Love this retelling of the old episode. Reads like a script with nice details added.

And love the banter between Spock and Mc-Coy

18. RX_Sith

Mar 13, 2006
    Jade_eyes: The back and forth between McCoy and Spock is a truly unique glimpse into their respect and need for each other as rivals and fellow officers on the Enterprise.

earlybird-obi-wan: McCoy/Spock banter is always a prerequisite to any Star Trek story. :D

[b]The Galileo Exploration[/b]

[b]Prologue[/b]

"Captain's Log, stardate 2821.5. En route to Makus III, with a cargo of medical supplies. Our course leads us past Murasaki 312, a quasar-like formation. Vague... undefined. A priceless opportunity for scientific investigation. On board is Galactic High Commissioner Ferris, overseeing the delivery of the medicines to Makus III."

Exploration. That is one of the primary objectives that the Enterprise is mandated with as part of its mission. The phenomenon that is forming near Murasaki 312 would be a scientist's dream. My Science Officer, despite his denials of emotions is giddy with the possibilities that his shuttle will discover as it prepares to launch from the shuttlebay.

"Be careful," Nyota whispers to Spock as she gives him a deep kiss of good luck.

"I will, my love," Spock oozes out between kisses to his beloved.

He turns towards the shuttlecraft and gives her his familiar reworked for her sake goodbye sign of the Vulcan greeting, "Live, love and prosper."

"I will," she returns him with her fingers spread apart in the Vulcan greeting while blowing him a kiss goodbye.

The doors to the shuttlecraft close and the Galileo takes off from the Enterprise's cargo hold.

"Don't worry, we'll be back soon," Doctor McCoy remarks to Spock, "I'm sure that she keep the fires burning while you're gone."

"Fires burning?" Spock wonders, "The ignition of any flames on the Enterprise would be immediately suppressed by the auto-engaging mechanisms to put out said fire."

"Don't tell that to Lt. Uhuru," McCoy retorts, "That's an instant emotion suppressant."

Spock merely raises his eyebrow and guides the shuttlecraft towards the gaseous and pulsating star ahead of them.

High Commissioner Ferris enters the bridge from the turbolift. He is on the Enterprise to aid in the delivering of much needed medical supplies to Makus III.

"Captain, I do not like this diversion," he reminds the captain of his objection from the greater priority of delivering medical supplies, "The plague on the New Paris colonies is out of control", he contends, "and the Enterprise must make the rendezvous on Makus III in order for the supplies to be transferred from there to the colony."

"I understand," Kirk replies, "but I also am under orders to investigate all quasars and quasar-like phenomena. Besides, the rendezvous is in five days, while the trip there last only three days. I thereby have 48 hours to study the phenomenon."

"Captain, I've lost the shuttlecraft!" Lt. Uhuru shouts out, "It just disappeared."

The electrical interference generated by the phenomenon makes sensors unreliable and communication impossible for the shuttlecraft, as well as for the Enterprise.

"All I made out was 'blown off course'," Uhuru announces.

Captain Kirk looks grimly at the viewscreen in front of him. "Finding a needle in a haystack would be child's play."

To be continued...

19. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Ooh, great place to cut the scene -- losing touch with the shuttle =D=

McCoy's teasing is super -- not abrasive -- very much the ribbing one would give a close friend or brother :)

The S/U exchange at the beginning -- sweet. Made me warm and fuzzy all the way through.

:D

20. RX_Sith

Mar 13, 2006
    Jade_eyes: Well, it does help that the episode has the cut to commercial part right after Kirk states that "Finding a needle in a haystack would be child's play." And McCoy's scenes with Spock are always ribbing with his cohort.

[b]Act One[/b]

"Captain's Log, stardate 2821.7. The electromagnetic phenomenon known as Murasaki 312 whirls like some angry blight in space. A depressive reminder that seven of our shipmates still have not been heard from. Equally bad, the effect has rendered our normal searching systems useless. Without them we are blind, and almost helpless."

Meanwhile on Taurus II, the Galileo shuttlecraft has crash landed on the surface after making an emergency landing. Scotty attempts to start the repairs while Mr. Spock sends out two crewman, Latimer and Gaetano, to survey the surrounding area. While Scotty assesses the damages to the shuttlecraft, he notices that the ship has lost a lot of fuel, enough that the shuttlecraft cannot escape without losing 500 pounds before liftoff; the weight of at least three crewmen plus whatever extra equipment that is no longer needed.

"I'm sorry laddy," Scott tells Spock of the grim situation, "But the ship is a mess."

"Picturesque descriptions will not mend broken circuits, Mister Scott."

Spock is faced with the difficult decision of deciding who will be left behind.

"My God man!" McCoy retorts, "At least show some dignity. Life and death are seldom logical."

"But, attaining a desired goal always is, Doctor," Spock plainly tells him.

Doctor McCoy just angrily looks back at Spock.

Back on the Enterprise, a nervous Lt. Uhuru now acts as the Science Officer searching for her beloved while Captain Kirk orders the shuttlecraft Columbus to start searching the planet for the lost crewmen.

"I just wish that our scanners could penetrate this soup," Lt. Uhuru announces remorsefully while inwardly wondering if she or the other shuttlecraft will ever find their missing crew members.

"Captain, may I remind you that you only have 24 hours to continue your search," Ferris reminds Kirk, "After that, I will have no choice but to order you to abandon your search."

"We still have that amount of time to find them," Kirk responds, "And I intend to use every last second to that task."

Back on Taurus II, Latimer and Gaetano hear strange grinding sounds, seemingly coming from all around them. They try to figure out where the noises are coming from and what is causing the weird noises. A tall, ape-like creature launches a spear at the two officers and it hits Latimer squarely in the back instantly killing him as he falls to the ground screaming.

Gaetano shoots his phaser wildly into the haze hoping that he hits a target. The creatures flee for the moment while Gaetano is joined by Spock and Boma who heard the scream from the shuttlecraft. A dumbfounded Gaetano eerily stands besides his dead compatriot. Spock runs ahead to make sure that the creatures have fled and then returns to the gruesome scene. He examines the spear carefully.

"A Folsom point," Spock remarks, "Very crude and inefficient."

"Are you crazy, Mr. Spock?" Boma questions his sanity, "Look at Latimer lying dead there. That's hardly inefficient."

"My concern for the dead will not bring him back to life, Mr. Boma," Spock simply tells him.

Boma and Gaetano decide to carry the body back to the ship.

Spock has no objection, since doing so will not interfere with the repair efforts. When he offers to help them, they refuse.

"Don't worry, Mr. Spock," Boma angrily states, "We can handle carrying Latimer back to the shuttlecraft. It's the human thing to do."

To Be Continued...

21. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    I can feel Jim's and Nyota's tension and worry and Ferris is just being a nag :p

*dreamy sigh*

This crisis sitch the landing party is in -- demands coolness under fire and quick straight line thinking -- and it showcases the personalities of the characters excellently. =D=

I can't say why I love the lines Spock has in this, I just do. [face_laugh] =P~

into big bucket.

[:D]

22. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Great to see another episode coming to life with the new Spock and McCoy. I like them and their banter.

23. RX_Sith

Mar 13, 2006
    Jade_eyes: Thanks, well, as you'll see, I upped the tension a little especially with Nyota in this scene.

earlybird-obi-wan: The Spock and McCoy banter shows their caustic yet needed disagreements with each other's views.

AN: I am including the song, "Wherever You Will Go" by The Calling into this because I think that it fits the scene perfectly here.

[b]Act Two[/b]

"Captain's Log, stardate 2822.3. We continue to search. But I find it more difficult each moment to ward off a sense of utter futility, and... great loss."

There is no change in the status of sensors, transporters, and communications. Lt. Uhuru works feverishly at the Science Officer's station continuously scouring the data for any information that will turn up not only her beloved but the other crew members as well. A familiar tune plays on her earpiece and she thinks of Spock as the lyrics emulate her very feelings.

"Wherever You Will Go" by The Calling

So lately, been wondering
    Who will be there to take my place
    When I'm gone you'll need love to light the shadows on your face
    If a great wave shall fall yeah fall upon us all
    Then between the sand and stone could you make it on your own.

CHORUS:
    If I could, then I would
    I'd go wherever you will go
    Way up high or down low, I'd go wherever you will go

And maybe, I'll find out
    A way to make it back someday
    To-wards you, to guide you, through the darkest of your days
    If a great wave shall fall yeah fall upon us all
    Well then I hope there's someone out there
    who can bring me back to you

CHORUS
    If I could, then I would

Run away with my heart
    Run away with my hope
    Run away with my love

I know now, just quite how
    My life and love might still go on
    In your heart, in your mind I'll stay with you for all of time

CHORUS
    If I could, then I would

If I could turn back time
    If I could make you mine

[hr]

Lt. Uhuru wept as the lyrics raced through her mind. She wished that she could always go wherever Spock went, but knew deep in her heart that she was needed at the Communications Station and now at the Science Officer's station. She would not let go of her love. She would continue the search for him no matter what. She would not leave her post until he was back with her. She realized more than ever how much she missed him as the seconds passed. Each second her heart felt heavier and heavier in longing for any sign of him.

"Tell Columbus to widen its search by two degrees," Kirk ordered.

The order snapped Lt. Uhuru out of her remorse. She immediately rebelled against the Captain's orders, "But Captain!" she almost cried out, "That will mean that there will be serious gaps in the search area."

"I know," Kirk replied gravely, "Lt. Sulu, you have your orders. Transmit them to Columbus."

"Aye, Sir," Sulu followed Kirk's orders.

Lt. Uhuru sank bank in the Science Officer's chair as she wiped the tears from her face and returned to scanning the surface.

Back on the surface of the planet, Doctor McCoy and Yeoman Mears have gathered 150 pounds of non-essential equipment.

"Great work," Spock commends them, "But that still leaves us 150 pounds too heavy."

"Well, you can't just leave one of us behind!" McCoy announces.

"That will be decided at the last possible moment, Doctor," Spock retorts, "And it will be my decision alone."

Lt. Boma enters the shuttlecraft. "We are ready for the funeral services of Lt. Latimer," he tells Spock blankly.

"I am busy effecting repairs to the ship, Mr. Boma," Spock replies simply, "Perhaps you can assist, Doctor."

"That's your place, Mr. Spock," McCoy notifies him of his duties as the Commanding Officer of the shuttlecraft.

"Alright, but not until the repairs are finished," Spock relents, "I intend to take care of first things first and that is getting this ship operational."

"Why you inhuma

24. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Wow! =D= =D= Gorgeous song. Very touching scene with Nyota. :* :* Her open grief makes me want to give her a [:D]

Spock continues to make the hard choices but they pay off in bringing about the desired outcome, even if progressively; Scott is very resourceful and knows better than to waste time arguing ;)

Hope they've turned the corner into an easier time of it. [face_thinking]

The unlooked-for consequence of loss of life is a hard thing of course but it is part and parcel of the job description for each member of the landing party. Each knows that, but the commanding officer feels the burden of each loss and wonders: What could I have done differently or foreseen to prevent it?

25. RX_Sith

Mar 13, 2006
    Jade_eyes: Thanks, it seemed to be a good song for the scene that I wrote. Each choice has to be weighed logically and of course Spock does this superbly.

[b]Act Three[/b]

"Captain's Log, 2823.1. Our landing parties are on the surface of Taurus II, and we continue to hope. Instruments are only slowly returning to an operable condition as the ion storm slowly disperses. On the ship, we can only wait helplessly."

Waiting was one thing that Nyota Uhuru was not good at doing. She was starting to get blurry-eyed from looking continuously through the Science Station's scanner. She did not want to give up any hope for finding Spock and the others; Commissioner Ferris be damned.

'Stupid Starfleet Regulations,' she thought to herself as she flexed her fingers and got up briefly from the station to stretch for a moment. The sheer return of Commissioner Ferris each successive time to the Bridge to remind the Captain that his time was shortening caused her blood to boil.

This time though his message was different. "I'm sorry Captain," Ferris blurted out, "But your time has run out. Under Title 15 of the Galactic Emergency Procedures, the ship is under my control now. You are to proceed to Makus III."

Kirk wanted to stay more than anything, but unfortunately, this was one order that he could no longer refuse to ignore. "Set course for Makus III," he ordered Lt. Sulu, "As soon as we have recovered the Columbus and the away parties, proceed at space normal speed."

"Space norm..." Sulu almost questioned him but knew that by leaving slowly perhaps the Enterprise would get lucky and spot the missing shuttlecraft before it was too late, "Aye, Sir," he smiled as he programmed in the coordinates into the ship's computers.

Spock comes up with an idea to use the ship's batteries to electrify the outer hull. Apparently the Taureans were actually touching the ship at the time it was electrified, because they left shortly after it was done.
    Boma then argues that it is time to perform the funeral rites for their two fallen crew members. Eventually, Spock relents and allows the burial, "provided the creatures will permit it."

"Captain's Log, supplemental. The search parties have returned to the ship. The Columbus is on its way back. I have been compelled to abandon the search."

According to Uhura, the Columbus will be back and docked within 23 minutes. Thus, only 23 minutes remain for the search. That amount of time seemed rather slim to Uhuru for them to find the others. Each second that ticked by caused her heart more and more pain as it started to break. She did not outwardly show any emotions, but on the inside she was starting to mourn for not only Spock, but the others as well. Each one was a person that she had gotten to know.

On the surface, Scott has just finished draining the last phaser into the ship's power supply and estimates that they have enough power to maintain orbit for a few hours, and even enough to perform a controlled-burn re-entry.

"We will only have enough power to last for one orbit," Scotty says as the shuttlecraft gets ready to take off in eight minutes.

"We now have time to bury Gaetano," Spock then tells McCoy and Boma, "I will assist you."

The Columbus returns to the Enterprise and docks. The landing parties have all beamed aboard. Kirk is left without any further excuses for delay. Therefore, the Enterprise begins the trip to Makus III at "space-normal speed."

On Taurus II, the funeral ceremony is interrupted by flying spears. McCoy, Boma, and Spock are attacked by the Taureans again, and race back to the ship. After throwing one of the spears back at the assailants in order to buy more time for the others, Spock turns and makes for the ship as well. But after just a few steps, a large rock is hurled at him and traps him against a rock face.

"Take off without me!" he tells the others. But they disregard the command and roll the boulder off of him so that he can return.

"Alright, let's go," Spock commands as he jumps into the shuttlecraft