main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Story [Star Trek] Being in the Thick... Fic-gift for brodiew.

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by WarmNyota_SweetAyesha, Dec 12, 2018.

1. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    This is for the 12th annual fic-gift exchange.

McCoy, Jim, and S/U are the characters.

This was a blast to write!

Giftee is @brodiew [:D]

Elements included were Jim and Spock had a difference of opinion and Nyota and McCoy were in the mix as well, offering their comments and suggestions.

Credit Line: The pie fight was inspired by Vek Talis and what he had H/L doing with a dessert! [face_laugh] It was very ... effective. [face_mischief]

The Enterprise and Potemkin were asked to negotiate with the Velxans on a sector dispute.
    There was a radical faction and there were hot-headed supporters on each side.

Spock said that it would be a matter of prudence to beef up security whereas Jim said it would be a gesture of good faith to not do anything beyond what was stipulated.

Spock then suggested that Jim not be part of the actual away team.

"Now, wait a minute. I'm not about to send crewmembers into a situation I'm not willing to go into myself!" Jim objected.

Nyota rolled her eyes. "You definitely like to push it." She observed. "Rushing in where fools fear to tread."

"Meaning?"

"You don't have to be on this particular away team." She said. "In the midst of every volatile situation."

Spock happened to agree on this point and this made Nyota laugh outright and say snarkily. "You can talk! You're almost as bad!"

He gave her a measuring look, and she retorted: "Don't give me that "huh?" look! You can't deny it!"

Jim couldn't help thinking how forthright Nyota was--and that it was borne out of her genuine concern. "I feel I can best handle the situation if it shifts unexpectedly if I'm on the spot. Also, it makes being proactive about the details much easier."

"That, or get critically injured, and I have to patch you up." groused McCoy. "Then I have to deal with you not being able to stay in Sickbay for more than a minute!"

Nyota remarked: "That's another area where Spock is virtually identical, Leo."

"Don't I know it!" the Doctor replied with feeling.

Finally, it was decided that the initial negotiations be done via vid-conferencing from orbit and then once it seemed more likely that tempers would not erupt, face-to-face meetings could occur in a neutral location.

Nyota reflected during this process that what had initially started out as a hard working partnership had evolved into a warmly respectful and loyal teamwork, of complementary personalities and styles.

Jim and Spock were a seamless and harmonious duo, presenting perspectives blending reason and flexibility.

It made serving on the Enterprise a never-ending adventure.

"So, do you think we've gotten Jim to permanently not jump from the frying pan?" McCoy asked Nyota over shrimp rolls.

"I'm not that naive! We were lucky to win this round." She answered, and they laughed.

"And what about Spock, who's practically just as bad?"

Nyota frowned. "It's a battle I fight constantly, case by case. I think the way I express my relief when he returns is more of an incentive to take risks than the other way around."

McCoy winked, looking into the warm, dancing eyes of this unabashedly affectionate lady. "I think you're right on that score."

"Don't expect me to tone it down any time soon." She quipped.

"Have you ever tried persuading with pie, with whipped cream and chocolate filling?" McCoy suggested.

"Slices of that sound delicious!" Nyota enthused.

"Or if that doesn't work, a 'pie fight' might do the trick."

Nyota laughed heartily. "Now that's an idea!" Her smile was mischievous. "Thanks, Leo!"

++++

Last edited: Dec 12, 2018
    Kahara, TheRynJedi and Vek Talis like this.
  2. Vek Talis

Vek Talis Jedi Master star 3

Oct 12, 2018
    Mmm, chocolate pie always sounds good. =P~ Delicious story, Nyota. :)

3. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    Thank you for this, Nyota! It's a great gift! :)
    I really enjoyed Jim's reasons for want to go on away missions as well as Spock's tried and true arguments against it. :cool:
    Nyota is great as the mother hen making sure the peace is kept. [face_shame_on_you]

4. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    Aww, this was so sweet! [face_love] I really appreciate how much of the initial argument about Kirk joining the away team was steeped in mutual concern and respect. He really does have a penchant for putting himself in harm's way - but from his point of view he's the captain. It's a gesture of respect to those he leads, and the best way to be at 'ground zero' so to speak, if things go wrong, But, at the same time . . . he's the captain. And sometimes that means it's prudent for him to stay out of the thick of it for those exact same reasons! I love how the argument turned on Spock when he tried to agree with Nyota - yep, he really can twist 'logic' to justify all sorts of risky moves. Which Nyota doesn't at all appreciate. [face_laugh] o_O And McCoy!! The dear; his grousing was just the cherry on top. :p

I especially liked the coda scene with McCoy and Nyota. This was a great glimpse at their friendship! They really do have their work cut out, keeping Kirk and Spock in line. Though Nyota may have figured out just the trick with Spock. :p Kirk's going to be a little more difficult than that. [face_laugh] Fun and heartwarming and uplifting a vignette as ever! Though I shouldn't have expected anything less. [face_love]=D=[:D]

Kahara and WarmNyota_SweetAyesha like this.
  5. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Decicious and sweet. McCoy can argue to keep Jim out of sickbay

Kahara and WarmNyota_SweetAyesha like this.