main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph "Warp Me!" - Star Trek: Lower Decks [Paramount+ Animated Series]

Discussion in 'Community' started by PymParticles , Jul 1, 2020.

1. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Sorry, you are objectively wrong. :p

2. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I didn't think of Detours initially, but I saw that suggestion come up elsewhere this morning (mostly with the same, inane argument that was applied to Detours that, somehow, when a company makes a comedy or parody itself, instead of a third party, it crosses a line that renders the project terrible by default, regardless of actual content).

I don't really see the comparison, myself. Mostly because I can see some of the Rick & Morty vibes more (just minus the nihilism) and we're dealing with original characters- as opposed to Detours, which distilled the existing franchise characters down to their base essence (or, in some cases, their Robot Chicken universe incarnations/continuity).

Plus, Star Trek has already done multiple outright comedy and parody episodes before, so it's less outside their wheelhouse for viewers compared to Star Wars.

And while I think Lower Decks has promise, what we've seen so far is nowhere even close to the hilarious and affectionate footage we've seen from Detours, which further distances the comparison, IMO.

[​IMG]

I find comparisons to Futurama more difficult to dismiss, because, well, the similarities are far more obvious (and has also already dealt with Trek, directly and indirectly).

Last edited: Jul 13, 2020
  3. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Anyone going to watch this show watched Rick and Morty? Cuz I think we're definitely getting Rick and Morty as the closest comparison (writer who worked on the show and all, and also the Solar opposites show which was co-created by Dan Harmon, rick and morty co-creator). Also Rick and Morty is top tier animated sci-fi comedy up there with pre-Fox cancellation Futurama. (Futurama's return was ok... it kinda dipped in the last 2 seasons but their for real series finale was great). Admittedly, animated sci-fi adult comedy is a bit of a narrow field but it has pretty high standards.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2020
  4. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    I thought it was pretty great

BigAl6ft6 and Chancellor_Ewok like this.
  5. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    Yeah, I just finished watching Second Contact and it was pretty fun. It wasn’t ROFL funny, but there were some decent chuckles and definitely the potential for some good recurring gags, like Rutherford’s bionic implant constantly trying to suppress his emotions because it was programmed by a Vulcan.

darthcaedus1138 and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  6. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    I was a fan too, definitely on the Rick and Morty side minus the nihilism but you see a lot of it in there, the lightspeed pace and even line delivery is very close in the vibe, and there were some pretty hilarious qupis in there ("I was on a Klingon Prison Planet and fought a Yeti for my shoes! He didn't even need it, he was just being a ****!" is probably my favourite line, like ever). But there was actually, surprisingly, some character development! in a 24 minute pilot! now that's efficient! (Seriously, when do pilot episodes ever have character development - it's mostly just setting the stage -, that was a nice surprise)

like the dynamic between Mariner and Boimer is very R&M, she is very smart and has seen it all while Boimer is the naive one she keeps trying to talk about how the world is run. Also she's introduced as boozed up (Rick and Morty pilot episode scene 1) and the final scene has Mariner going off on a rambling rant about how many adventures they're going to have while the other person groans (Rick and Morty pilot episode final scene). Not quite bordering on copy and paste copyright infringement but the influence is definitely easy to spot.

The title sequence is actually a fun parody of Trek title sequences, the dynamic ship shots but except the ship keeps crashing into stuff or in the heroic attack of the Borg vs. Romulans the ship takes one shot and then immediately turns around and jumps away.

I like all the characters and nobody actively got on my nerves, maybe Mariner was starting to get there but she became more snarky Rick Sanchez as the episode goes on and the final reveal that she is literally the Captain's daughter (and her dad is an Admiral!) was really smart. I also liked how Boimer developed over the pilot where he won't rat her out to the Captain, especially after she says in her log how the actions of her bridge crew were what saved the day, when it was really Bomier's goo. (the goo! "He's useless! it's the goo!")

Maybe canon bending is that the lower decks crew are literally sleeping in a hallway in bunks near the communal shower but considering the naval influence on Star Trek that's not entirely implausible. Maybe that's just for the smaller Second Contact type of crews.

the First Officer being bitten by a bug that unleashes a zombie virus also seems very R&M, like the one where they were infected in the house with false memory characters who kept replicating. Even kind of the same gag in both episodes Rick/Mariner makes a quip about washing your hands to avoid infection.

I'd say also tonally this is close to Orville inasmuch that the sci-fi world and rules and stakes are treated seriously legit but its the responses of the characters that are funny. Like the two characters being excited about a system malfunction that needed analysis or the borked food replicator that kept spitting out hot bananas

The internet seems mad at it but I remain steadfastly befuddled what ticks the internet off as they were mad at Discovery and Picard too. But this is definitely more fun than expected. And, c'mon, I just love this shot

[​IMG]

How can you hate on that, it's super fun.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2020
    Iron_lord likes this.
  7. darthcaedus1138

Oct 13, 2007
    The part in the opening credits where the Cerritos takes one hit from the battle and flies off made me fall in love with the show instantly lol

The2ndQuest and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  8. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    I wonder how long it will be before somebody mashes up the Lower Decks title sequence with the Galaxy Quest theme. I have a feeling that they’d be a surprisingly good fit.

Juliet316 likes this.
  9. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    The pilot was pretty bland and generic, like a later Futurama episode. The best thing is that it has by far the best opening music of new Trek. The writers clearly have knowledge of lore but most of the jokes just weren't funny. I chuckled at "banana, hot."

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  10. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    The humor didn't really work for me. Self-aware is not the same as funny. Most of the jokes didn't land.

I do, however, like the basic idea of focusing on characters we normally wouldn't. That kind of concept appeals to me, and I found the characters enjoyable enough. Although I think the captain is my favorite so far, which might mean I'm doing it wrong.

The Cerritos having a bunch of California references -- like the shuttle names and the bear flag -- was a nice touch. I used to go to Cerritos all the time!

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  11. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000

JJM then added in a comment: “It began literally with, “What’s with the cube things?”

Later she asked, “where’d everybody get the ‘Resistance is futile’ line from?”

“Right there. They made it up.”

“Oh!”

Last edited: Aug 8, 2020
  12. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    I really want to see it, but...

https://www.thecinemaspot.com/2020/...ecks-no-international-distribution-explained/

Ugh.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  13. darthcaedus1138

Oct 13, 2007
    Feels like they're kneecapping themselves in modern day not providing an in for international audiences ONLY because they plan to relaunch their streamer. Give people a reason to care about that by letting them see the content.

BigAl6ft6 and Juliet316 like this.
  14. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    it's interesting that CBSAA is thinking about expanding internationally but right now in Canada I can buy a CBSAA subscription ... without any Star Trek content. that is all bought by Bell with Discovery/Picard/Lower Decks being a pinnacle of CTV Sci-Fi channel (it's basically the Star Trek channel 5 days a week), and all of them are on the Crave streaming app (even before they hit CTV Sci-Fi). I even saw the pilot episode of Lower Decks on the Bell owned Much channel on Sunday! Twice! I think Bell is fine with coughing up the dough to keep Star Trek running on their services, (all of the non CBSAA Trek shows are on there too, but they're also on Netflix Canada and if I want to watch a random Trek episode I'd rather watch it on Netflix than Crave). So I don't know if CBSAA would try to hold onto the other Trek shows in development to get subs in Canada. Somehow I hope that Bell will keep shelling out for it and I get to watch new Lower Decks episode tomorrow.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2020
  15. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    We generally liked it. Honestly, the second of the main characters (the "irreverent, busted-down legacy") was our least favorite -- with the Orion ensign our favorite. On "Are yu kidding... I GOT TO HOLD A HEART IN MY HANDS!" I turned to Mavis and said "okay, so she's you..."

Needs some work, but solid premise.

darthcaedus1138 likes this.
  16. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    Mariner was too high energy for me. She needs to come down a bit to avoid getting grating. The others have promise. Some of the side characters like the doctor were pretty good.

But this wasn't a show I would continue watching based on the pilot. I'll give it a few more episodes but I'm not sure I'll stick with it and may end up watching it all in one sitting down the road.

17. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I have a feeling you're going to start seeing those deals expire (or, at the very least, overlap) as the new service expands. Modern DW started on Sci-Fi Channel (a basic cable channel that everyone had) in the US until BBA America (a basic cable channel that was only included in certain TV package lineups) launched. Show jumped over either during late Tennant or when Smith came along.

Likewise, even though CBSAA is "the Star Trek place" now with every classic, semi-modern and modern series, you still have the first 5 shows on Netflix also (though, at least in the case of TNG, that's because Netflix helped pay for the TNG Remaster).

However, I suspect that you'll start to see those older shows go away on Netflix in the US eventually (especially if Netflix's deal for TNG is finite because if that goes then the others will definitely go with it)- particularly TOS and ENT.

The same process will likely apply to Crave/Netflix Canada eventually- once certain deals expire, CBS will probably start to either pull their shows from Crave and Netflix to CBSAA or, at the very least, make them nonexclusive (much like how TNG, VOY, etc still air on broadcast on BBC America, last I checked) as a step towards eventual exclusivity.

There is the off chance that the legacy show may remain outside the service as a means of advertising the new shows which do go exclusive, I suppose, but I think the trend is against that.

Juliet316 likes this.
  18. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    First episode is available on YouTube for a limited time. No region lock, yada yada.

19. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    Awesome! I'm gonna watch it today then. Thanks for posting the link! :)

Ulicus likes this.
  20. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Sweet! Will be a nice hold-me-over until I can binge it when DIS S3 hits,

EDIT-
    "Computer- show me the warp core!" [face_laugh]

The lower deck bunks were an unexpected detail- I don't think we've ever seen that be mentioned before, that lower ranks don't get their own (or even a shared) room.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2020
    BigAl6ft6 and Juliet316 like this.
  21. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    It was in the middle of that transition period of specials that lead to Tennant handing the TARDIS over to Smith. SyFy (or Sci-Fi as it was called at the time) ended it's DW run with S4's official finale "Journey's End." in 2008 and didn't air the Tennant specials, going into reruns of previous eps until the BBCAmerica deal was about to start (should be noted during this time BBCA did air Torchwood, which as I've noted elsewhere was my gateway to Who). The BBCA deal started in July 2009 with a special airing of the previous Christmas Special that SyFy hadn't aired and preceded to play the remaining specials until the Ten/Eleven regeneration eps happened over Christmas/New Year's Eve of 2009/2010.

Also BBCA started airing DS9 episodes about a year ago or so, so I don't think the BBCA deal with Star Trek is up anytime soon.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2020
    The2ndQuest likes this.
  22. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, I think broadcast TV rerun deals will be the last to expire, since they're basically the bottom of the access ladder compared to on-deman streaming and home video.

Juliet316 likes this.
  23. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    And syndication on broadcast/cable TV is still the most lucrative for television studios.

24. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    And now it's unavailable? (At least in the UK)

25. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    Yup. Missed my window. Goddammit.